Sam Darnold to Carolina

WillUSAF

For a 6, 2 and 4?

Why the hell not? He's still got arm talent and competitiveness, and being rescued from a shitty franchise might kickstart his career. Idiotic move by the Jets. Now they're going to be stuck with another bust project QB without a highpick to upgrade talent around him...unless by some miracle Lawrence drops to them.

Massive upgrade from bilgewter with huge upside. Could still be a flop, but for the price it's money for nothin'.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

For a 6, 2 and 4?

Why the hell not? He's still got arm talent and competitiveness, and being rescued from a shitty franchise might kickstart his career. Idiotic move by the Jets. Now they're going to be stuck with another bust project QB without a highpick to upgrade talent around him...unless by some miracle Lawrence drops to them.

Massive upgrade from bilgewter with huge upside. Could still be a flop, but for the price it's money for nothin'.

Have you watched the Jets at all, or paid attention to their moves? Even if they spend their second pick on a QB (as they are expected to do) they still have a first round pick this year to upgrade the talent... and seven more picks after that. Then they have two first-rounders next year, presumably neither of which they'll need to use on a QB, in addition to the other surplus draft capital they've picked up.

Also, Darnold has looked shittier in New York than Tannehill did in Miami under Gase, and Wilson and Fields are good prospects.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Have you watched the Jets at all, or paid attention to their moves? Even if they spend their second pick on a QB (as they are expected to do) they still have a first round pick this year to upgrade the talent... and seven more picks after that. Then they have two first-rounders next year, presumably neither of which they'll need to use on a QB, in addition to the other surplus draft capital they've picked up.

Also, Darnold has looked shittier in New York than Tannehill did in Miami under Gase, and Wilson and Fields are good prospects.

They have a late first round pick, huge difference. They could have bet on the QB under a new coach and had a number 2 overall to go with him and another late first. A rookie qb just sets them further backwards. They got jack squat for him, terrible value.

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He may have had one skill guy, Robbie Anderson, that could start for another NFL team.

I would put Darnold above any of the quarterbacks in the draft this year. The guy has poise in the pocket, makes all the throws, he just needs to be surrounded with a good organization in order to reach the top echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

If the Jets made the decision to draft a QB, trading Darnold is a no-brainer. Reset, get some picks to build around the new guy, avoid the dreaded QB controversy, give Darnold a chance to start fresh somewhere else. Win for all sides.

If I were a Jets fan, I’d be ready to move on from Sammy D.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

He may have had one skill guy, Robbie Anderson, that could start for another NFL team.

And he played for Carolina last year.  The Jets were bereft of talent.  Couldn't run the ball, 29th rated OL, no weapons and Captain eyeballs at the helm.  It was about the worst possible place to try and develop a QB.  Now the question may be...... did they ruin Darnold?  A lot of bad habits can develop and be hard to break free of.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is true although again, Tranny had a better supporting cast and was a 4 year vet when Gase came on.  Darnold was in his 2nd year.  A lot of risk on both sides but I think both needed fresh starts.  Opens up Wilson to go to the Jets now.

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Being a young QB on a shit team makes you look way worse than you are. Maturing, and joining a team that doesn’t suck dick can make all the difference. Good for Sam.

I really believe a lot of early pick QB busts over the decades were more talented kids careers being ruined by shitty organizations throwing them out to the lions too early with too little support and making them punchy, developing bad habits that are nearly impossible to correct. Some would have thrived in other situations, some really good ones may have never had the same fortunes with a shithole franchise like the Jets. I'm just gad Darnold will have a shot to resurrect his career, certainly no guarantees, and a bit against the odds. But I think he has some good stuff to work with.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

I really believe a lot of early pick QB busts over the decades were more talented kids careers being ruined by shitty organizations throwing them out to the lions too early with too little support and making them punchy, developing bad habits that are nearly impossible to correct. Some would have thrived in other situations, some really good ones may have never had the same fortunes with a shithole franchise like the Jets. I'm just gad Darnold will have a shot to resurrect his career, certainly no guarantees, and a bit against the odds. But I think he has some good stuff to work with.

Yup. There was more to the Browns shitty qb run than they all sucked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DougO said:

For a 6, 2 and 4?

Getting anything more than a used tampon for Darnold has to be considered a win for the jets. 

8 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I would put Darnold above any of the quarterbacks in the draft this year. The guy has poise in the pocket, makes all the throws, he just needs to be surrounded with a good organization in order to reach the top echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL.

Maybe. I just do not believe in any SC QB to be NFL ready. Carson Palmer was the exception but they are ALWAYS hyped! Mariovich, Leinart, Booty, Barkley, Darnold, Kessler, Sanchez, am I missing any?? 

My only quibble with any of this is the 2nd rounder.  Darnold is the classic, bag of mid round picks plus a case of beer trade.  The jets managing to get a 2nd round pick is pretty savvy for a shitty org, given how valuable 2nd round picks are.

Edited by Bateshorn

I don't know what kind of football you guys have watched, but Sam Darnold is a good QB and was on possibly the worst team ever fielded in the NFL with coaching staff intentionally losing every game. It's actually kinda sad to see a bunch of people talking shit about a guy calling him a scrub, when both his front and back office told his coaching staff to do everything they can to lose all the games. 

Is he Patrick Mabomes? Fuck no, but is he definitely good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs and have a shot at championship level football? Definitely. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

Biggest concern with Darnold coming out of college was that he would be a turnover machine and that's exactly what he's been. Has talent but just doesn't make good decisions under pressure. 

Weird how you are under pressure when the blocking scheme is "don't block" 

Joe Burrow showed more during his half-season behind a similarly shitty OL than Darnold has through three years, with a no-name head coach who probably wouldn't rank much higher than Gase.

To be fair to Sam...the jets needed to fire gase during his introductory press conference when he was named head coach

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

To be fair to Sam...the jets needed to fire gase during his introductory press conference when he was named head coach

That's true, and the only reason Darnold isn't consigned to the Mitch Trubisky career backup role yet.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

John Elway would've looked like ass playing for the Jets.  Sam gets a pass.  Let's see what he does with an average team.  Comparisons to Burrow?  Burrow was playing with a team that was trying to win and had much better skill position players to play with.

He kinda looked like an ass playing for the horses.

image.jpeg.cb3400c323cb9e0268c053b204f855d1.jpeg image.jpeg.6b6e2edf9e0d97f5e9853a1a174114b1.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

The Jets have just changed the name and number on the back of their QB’s jersey. The results won’t change. They should have traded down, stockpiled picks, and began a wholesale upgrade of talent. Darnold would have been serviceable in the interim. 

This is the correct response.