is there a weed and grass killer that works? Because Roundup sucks now

What type of grass do you have that you want to keep and what are you trying to keep from being invasive?  And what are the predominant weed types coming up in the yard?  It really does make a difference in product recommendations. 

Full disclosure-I oscillate between conservationist and preservationist.  I know manmade chemicals are part of my daily life, but they have no place in my yard.  Roundup and that whole company can get fucked.  I have markedly better success with corn-gluten meal being spread by my hands, generously throughout my yard twice a year.  Particularly troublesome areas, you can use a concentrated vinegar solution to douse the shit out of them.  It's not too late in the season to aerate and fertilize which will allow your grasses to overtake the weeds in the coming weeks.  But again, depends on the species types you got going on in your yard.  The idea is not to chase the weeds with one chemical application after another, it's to get your grass ready in March to choke out the weeds for you and leave a corn-gluten base in the soil throughout the year to prevent new seedings of weeds.  Then the grass can set its sights on Monsanto and go murder their executives while you sleep.  

Edited by Lobo

I've got 2 acres.  Most of it is not irrigated, except where I maintain nice grass, shrubs, trees, etc.   

When we get rain, weeds grow.  I mow them, but I like to kill them along fences and other places so I don't have to weed-whack and can take care of it with just the mower.  

I also hate the weeds that pop up in cracks in the driveway, etc.   

I don't know what species of weeds these are. 

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

what if my grass is gluten intolerant?

Then you whisper, in a threatening voice, "You may be gluten intolerant...but you're not celiac grass.  Here...drink this." 

But in all seriousness Gil Bang, what kinda grass do you have where these weeds are most prevalent?  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Then you whisper, in a threatening voice, "You may be gluten intolerant...but you're not celiac grass.  Here...drink this." 

But in all seriousness Gil Bang, what kinda grass do you have where these weeds are most prevalent?  

my grass areas are dwarf fescue.   My lawns are Hank Hill quality.   It's the rest of the property that gives me a PITA

You're not supposed to say "dwarf" anymore, it's "Little Grass Fescue."  

for your more natural areas...I'd still suggest corn gluten meal.  But in your case, I'd go liquid form and mix in a liberal ratio (I was picturing you peppering this around the grass/sod areas).  Make sure you get the good stuff, the pre-emergent herbicide formula...not the half-assed shit for people living on 1/10th of an acre with builder's sod.  It's getting late in the season (you need to use it ideally in late Feb-late March).  But if you aerate very soon, you can still get this stuff down and stave off infestation before shit gets real.  And as I, and others, stated above...the real troublesome areas...douse in vinegar solution (all kinds of mixture suggestions out there, go with what sounds good to you...cheat code:  mix in some garlic solution in there while you're spraying it around to control mosquito populations as well).  

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're not supposed to say "dwarf" anymore, it's "Little Grass Fescue."  

for your more natural areas...I'd still suggest corn gluten meal.  But in your case, I'd go liquid form and mix in a liberal ratio (I was picturing you peppering this around the grass/sod areas).  Make sure you get the good stuff, the pre-emergent herbicide formula...not the half-assed shit for people living on 1/10th of an acre with builder's sod.  It's getting late in the season (you need to use it ideally in late Feb-late March).  But if you aerate very soon, you can still get this stuff down and stave off infestation before shit gets real.  And as I, and others, stated above...the real troublesome areas...douse in vinegar solution (all kinds of mixture suggestions out there, go with what sounds good to you...cheat code:  mix in some garlic solution in there while you're spraying it around to control mosquito populations as well).  

Thanks for that.  And FYI, here in SoCal, we don't really have mosquitoes (or other pesky bugs for the most part).  They aren't an issue.  That's another thing I love about being here, because I've been places where they are thick, and I hate those places..  

I know SoCal doesn't have much of a mosquito issue.  I didn't know you lived in Southern California.  I guess some of my suggestions are not applicable then.  It sounds nice there though. 

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Has there been a change to Round-Up?

I use the big bottle of concentrate from Home Depot and haven’t noticed any change yet.  Latest bottle to probably 2019 vintage.

Yep. Glysophate 41. You can get it online from HD and Amazon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Yeah. Roundup fucking sucks these days. I double up the concentrate and it’s still only moderately effective on anything other than dandelions

Pre-emergents work well and the more narrow spectrum agents work pretty well on lawns. To kill grass, though, I've had more problems. I'm having a war on all these grasses that have grown up through the rocks on a retaining wall. So far, I am losing. But, I'll keep trying until something works. In most of the places, I don't have to worry about trees so I can do whatever is necessary.

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Are you in Del Mar?  Go to Red Tracton's for the Green Goddess salad lol!

Del Mar is out of my price range for Real Estate, and when I eat there it's Pamplemoose, Fish Market, or Brigantine.  

I sharted after eating at Tracton's once, and I've never been back. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Del Mar is out of my price range for Real Estate, and when I eat there it's Pamplemoose, Fish Market, or Brigantine.  

I sharted after eating at Tracton's once, and I've never been back. 

Shit, I forgot Jakes.  

23 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Has there been a change to Round-Up?

I use the big bottle of concentrate from Home Depot and haven’t noticed any change yet.  Latest bottle to probably 2019 vintage.

I’d cellar that 2019 if I were you.  Should have prime sprayability from 2025-2029.

I bought a big jug of something at Tractor Supply a couple years ago. Guy asked me what I wanted to kill and I told him everything. He suggested this stuff and it does not disappoint. I'll have to check the name when I get home.

Here's the stuff.

IMG_20210407_081055.jpg

Edited by RPM

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I don't like the idea of dumping she's on my yard.  

I'm giving this a shot this week.  I'll let you know.

Looks like it works, but based on reviews, I would definitely wear gloves and eye protection.  Photos of that vinegar peeling skin off peoples hands 😲

7 hours ago, RPM said:

I bought a big jug of something at Tractor Supply a couple years ago. Guy asked me what I wanted to kill and I told him everything. He suggested this stuff and it does not disappoint. I'll have to check the name when I get home.

Here's the stuff.

IMG_20210407_081055.jpg

That's just generic roundup.

OP: Get the concentrated stuff and mix in some surfactant and the results may be better.