2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

As all but 8 teams are already looking forward to this summer, let's get this fired up....

Even after a season where Victor Oladipo and the Pacers overachieved past anyone's expectations, dude is ready and willing to get back to work, right after the season was lost.... Apparently, spelling costs extra.

However, not to undone, a future first ballot HOF shows he still is hungry to get better too.....

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Dark horse option for Paul George: Indiana.

Now tell me that's not a perfect fit! The East will be open for the taking next year. Him and Dipo would be a nice 1-2, easily a 3 seed in the east, with more potential.

I mean, I guess but seems like he didn't want to be in the Midwest anymore.  And you'd have 2 guys who are better 2 options or even 3 options.  In the weak East, you could get to the semis, maybe even the Finals with the right luck but I don't think they'd be winning any titles.  If he wants to go to LA, perhaps the Clippers..... I could see a darkhorse being someone like Phoenix who wants a star player.... any star.

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Now tell me that's not a perfect fit! The East will be open for the taking next year. Him and Dipo would be a nice 1-2, easily a 3 seed in the east, with more potential.

yeah that ship has sailed.    He isnt going back there.

14 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

No. For the sole reason I don't want to have to hear that fucking "Comin Home, I'm comin home" song ever again.

Thunder Will Retain Billy Donovan As Head Coach

Sam Presti confirmed the Oklahoma City Thunder will retain Billy Donovan as head coach.

Donovan was hired as head coach of the Thunder in 2015 and he has compiled a 150-96 record over three seasons.

Presti hopes Donovan will “be able to work with the same core of a team that has a baseline that we’ve established.”

Presti said the organization is “disappointed” with the 2017-18 season, which ended with loss in six games to the Utah Jazz in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. 

Brilliant!

Separate story:

Sam Presti Believes Best Thing For Paul George Is 'Continuity'

The Oklahoma City Thunder are "encouraged" by the discussions they've had with Paul George this season.

The Thunder hope to re-sign George in free agency.

“I think the best thing for him, and I think the biggest opportunity for him, is in the continuity,” Presti said. “Additionally, just continuity in general, with the type of team we have assembled and the way it was assembled, generally, continuity is his best friend going forward.”

The Thunder acquired George last June in exchange for Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis.

Edited by Dutchrudder

So, pretending that the Kawhi situation isn't salvageable (I don't think that's the case, but we'll see), and the Spurs opt to move him:

Kawhi for Kyrie straight up, who says no?

It's never going to happen, but I honestly don't know which side would say no, if any. Probably the Spurs? Kyrie would be the best individual talent they could hope to get--and there's mutual respect between Kyrie and SA--but he's not at Kawhi's level. And I'm not sure how SA would feel about a straight swap of injury-risk stars who need to get paid in a year, without also getting some future assets.

But damn, Boston would be be incredible. They could really max out the positionless basketball concept with a starting lineup of Hayward/Tatum/Kawhi/Brown/Horford. Hayward is underrated as a creator. Keep Rozier and Smart around as traditional PGs to chase around the Stephs of the world. They might not let anyone break 90 all season (hyperbole). And they'd still have cap room and their future assets.

Eh, I'd rather see Philly get Kawhi and another Max player in free agency. Philly could get Kawhi and PG/Lebron and not have to give up all that much. Both teams will be great going forward, Though I'm not sure either will contend with GS for at least another year. 

But yeah, swapping Kyrie for Kawhi in that lineup would be an incredible defense. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

So, pretending that the Kawhi situation isn't salvageable (I don't think that's the case, but we'll see), and the Spurs opt to move him:

It's never going to happen, but I honestly don't know which side would say no, if any. Probably the Spurs? Kyrie would be the best individual talent they could hope to get--and there's mutual respect between Kyrie and SA--but he's not at Kawhi's level. And I'm not sure how SA would feel about a straight swap of injury-risk stars who need to get paid in a year, without also getting some future assets.

But damn, Boston would be be incredible. They could really max out the positionless basketball concept with a starting lineup of Hayward/Tatum/Kawhi/Brown/Horford. Hayward is underrated as a creator. Keep Rozier and Smart around as traditional PGs to chase around the Stephs of the world. They might not let anyone break 90 all season (hyperbole). And they'd still have cap room and their future assets.

Spurs would say no...... If they're trading with Boston they're going to want Tatum or maybe Brown, another piece and a lottery pick.  Also, I have a feeling Ainge told Kyrie he wouldn't be trading him after a year and Irving is actually on a good contract if healthy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Spurs would say no...... If they're trading with Boston they're going to want Tatum or maybe Brown, another piece and a lottery pick.  Also, I have a feeling Ainge told Kyrie he wouldn't be trading him after a year and Irving is actually on a good contract if healthy.

All of this. 

Why would Boston want Kawhi? They have that component and then some.

Philly could trade Saric, Fultz and a 1st round pick for Kawhi and both sides would come out ok. Saric would be a perfect Spur and I have no doubt they could turn Fultz into a potential all-star.

A good trade from Boston would be Brown, Rozier and the Memphis pick for Kawhi.

Boston with Kyrie, Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum and Horford with Smart, Morris, and Baynes would be favored to win the title. Would love to see Kawhi and Smart getting after people.

Spurs with Murray, Rozier, J. Brown, K. Anderson is a decent young core to build around and the Memphis pick could end up being top-5. Don't think they will get much better than that.

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Read more  

Why would Boston want Kawhi? They have that component and then some.

Because he's better at those components than the guys they have? No, they're not going to trade Kyrie for him, but they're absolutely going to kick the tires this offseason (with Brown and Tatum) and then some. The last time Kawhi played meaningful games, he was a top 5 player; if you can get one of those for a first or 2nd year player and a lottery pick, you do it every time.

...this is all assuming that teams feel confident in Kawhi's long-term health, and that the uncle won't veto Boston, of course.

omg...

Clippers poised to extend contract of coach Doc Rivers

When the Clippers' season ended last month, their two biggest personalities were standing on separate darkened ends of a long Staples Center hallway, the team's immediate future hanging in the murky middle.

On one end, the coach said he might not stick around. On the other end, the owner could not guarantee he could keep him.

On one end, coach Doc Rivers was not thrilled about entering the final year of his contract as a lame duck with no extension.

"I love what I do, but that doesn't mean you keep doing it every year, you know what I mean?'' he said.

On the other end, owner Steve Ballmer sounded uncertain why somebody who had a contract would need an extension.

"The other thing I'm really just learning about the NBA is that in a regular business, a five-year contract is a five-year contract and you talk about the sixth year after the fifth year,'' Ballmer said. "That doesn't seem to be the protocol in the NBA.''

For the sake of a stable beginning of a new era, it was important that these two men eventually meet somewhere in the middle.

Three weeks later, it appears they have.

Although nothing has been made official, all indications are that Rivers and Ballmer have reached an agreement on a multiyear extension that will keep Rivers here for a remodeling job that will begin soon.

This is big. This is cornerstone big. This is the Clippers setting the foundation for the post Lob City era with a guy who is coaching even better now than when he led them through the Donald Sterling crisis upon his arrival five years ago.

Chris Paul is gone, Blake Griffin is gone and DeAndre Jordan could soon be gone through free agency, but Rivers will remain the face of the franchise, and all is good. With his gravelly voice and giant presence, Rivers gives the Clippers the sort of credibility they need as Ballmer sets out to remake the team in his image.

It is Rivers' style that can attract this summer's potential free agents like Paul George and maybe even LeBron James. It is Rivers' schemes that will coach up their two lottery draft picks. And it is Rivers who will lead them with player assets and cap room into a flush free-agent class of 2019 that could include Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson and, if he's not traded, Kawhi Leonard.

Neither Rivers nor the Clippers would comment on his contract, but both have been saying nice things about each other.

In an interview this week, Rivers said, "I love where the organization is at right now.''

Ballmer has made no secret of his affection for Rivers, earlier describing the coach's performance this season as "amazing.''

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-rivers-plaschke-20180505-story.html

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

omg...

Clippers poised to extend contract of coach Doc Rivers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-rivers-plaschke-20180505-story.html

Saved his job this season..... Not sure I trust him to steward a rebuilding franchise and he obviously influences all player personnel decisions, which is dangerous.

45 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Saved his job this season..... Not sure I trust him to steward a rebuilding franchise and he obviously influences all player personnel decisions, which is dangerous.

he could stay coach.     does he still have gm power?   if so, that needs to go

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Doc was stripped of his GM title last August.

Thanks couldn't remember if they took that from him or not.   He did a pretty good coaching job this yr getting them close to the playoffs with all that they lost.      In most any other franchise that would be a reason for optimism.   Heck for this franchise 8 yrs ago it would reason for a lifetime contract so I don't really have an issue with him getting an extension as a coach.

The Clippers don't have that bad of a salary cap ledger going forward since they got rid of Blake.  Big decision this summer, however, on whether to pursue DeAndre, and if they do, for how much.

Payroll Table
  Salary  
Player Age 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 Signed Using Guaranteed
Team Totals   $118,907,163 $112,084,731 $33,852,599 $1,500,000       $213,389,162
DeAndre Jordan 29 $22,642,350 $24,119,025         Bird Rights $22,642,350
Danilo Gallinari 29 $20,559,599 $21,587,579 $22,615,559       Sign and Trade $64,762,737
Tobias Harris 25 $16,000,000 $14,800,000         Bird Rights $30,800,000
Austin Rivers 25 $11,825,000 $12,650,000         Cap Space $11,825,000
Avery Bradley 27 $8,808,989           Bird Rights $8,808,989
Boban Marjanovic 29 $7,000,000 $7,000,000         Cap Space $14,000,000
Lou Williams 31 $7,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000 $1,500,000     Cap Space $23,000,000
Milos Teodosic 31 $6,000,000 $6,300,000         MLE $6,000,000
Wesley Johnson 30 $5,881,260 $6,134,520         Cap Space $12,015,780
Patrick Beverley 29 $5,513,514 $5,027,028         Bird Rights $5,513,514
Sam Dekker 24 $1,794,600 $2,760,095         1st Round pick $4,554,695
Montrezl Harrell 24 $1,471,382             $1,471,382
Jawun Evans 21 $815,615 $1,378,242 $1,618,520       MLE $2,193,857
Sindarius Thornwell 23 $815,615 $1,378,242 $1,618,520       MLE $2,193,857
Tyrone Wallace 23 TBD           Two-Way Contract TBD
C.J. Williams 28                

Paul Pierce 40 $1,096,080             $1,096,080
Carlos Delfino 35 $650,000 $650,000           $1,300,000
Jordan Farmar 31 $510,921             $510,921
Miroslav Raduljica 30 $300,000 $300,000           $600,000
Sean Kilpatrick 28 $172,238              
Jamil Wilson 27 $50,000             $50,000
C.J. Williams 28               $50,000

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Doc was stripped of his GM title last August.

And Lawrence Frank, his protege and friend, was installed as the "new GM".  This was simply rearranging the deck chairs.  Jerry West coming in as a special advisor is probably the biggest hurdle to personnel decisions, but make no mistake Frank and Doc are probably in lock step with 98% of things....

33 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The Clippers don't have that bad of a salary cap ledger going forward since they got rid of Blake.  Big decision this summer, however, on whether to pursue DeAndre, and if they do, for how much.

Payroll Table
  Salary  
Player Age 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 Signed Using Guaranteed
Team Totals   $118,907,163 $112,084,731 $33,852,599 $1,500,000       $213,389,162
DeAndre Jordan 29 $22,642,350 $24,119,025         Bird Rights $22,642,350
Danilo Gallinari 29 $20,559,599 $21,587,579 $22,615,559       Sign and Trade $64,762,737
Tobias Harris 25 $16,000,000 $14,800,000         Bird Rights $30,800,000
Austin Rivers 25 $11,825,000 $12,650,000         Cap Space $11,825,000
Avery Bradley 27 $8,808,989           Bird Rights $8,808,989
Boban Marjanovic 29 $7,000,000 $7,000,000         Cap Space $14,000,000
Lou Williams 31 $7,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000 $1,500,000     Cap Space $23,000,000
Milos Teodosic 31 $6,000,000 $6,300,000         MLE $6,000,000
Wesley Johnson 30 $5,881,260 $6,134,520         Cap Space $12,015,780
Patrick Beverley 29 $5,513,514 $5,027,028         Bird Rights $5,513,514
Sam Dekker 24 $1,794,600 $2,760,095         1st Round pick $4,554,695
Montrezl Harrell 24 $1,471,382             $1,471,382
Jawun Evans 21 $815,615 $1,378,242 $1,618,520       MLE $2,193,857
Sindarius Thornwell 23 $815,615 $1,378,242 $1,618,520       MLE $2,193,857
Tyrone Wallace 23 TBD           Two-Way Contract TBD
C.J. Williams 28                

Paul Pierce 40 $1,096,080             $1,096,080
Carlos Delfino 35 $650,000 $650,000           $1,300,000
Jordan Farmar 31 $510,921             $510,921
Miroslav Raduljica 30 $300,000 $300,000           $600,000
Sean Kilpatrick 28 $172,238              
Jamil Wilson 27 $50,000             $50,000
C.J. Williams 28               $50,000

I mean Doc did a pretty strong job last year because that roster is dog shit.  They have a ton of dudes that have PTOs including Jordan, Rivers, Teodosic and Johnson so if everyone opts out they could have a lot of money to spend.  Good news is they're in LA.  Bad news is there's not much on that roster to help a star rise in the West so it's not ultra attractive.  Will probably need 2 new stars just to be in the playoff conversation if Jordan moves on.  They do need to re-sign Harrell who played really well off the bench.  Clippers probably look totally different than last year if Jordan moves on, like expected..... Hard to know what DeAndre does because he's so flighty.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Stan Van is out......

This was always one of the stranger hires and choices in the league as SVG seemingly didn't have enough skins on the wall to have total control of an organization.  I mean at least Dumars delivered a title.  Unsurprisingly, it ends poorly as SVG was over his head and now leaves the Pistons with cap issues.  6th in league in salary this past season and not even .500 ball in the special needs Eastern Conference.  They have 112 in guarantees on the books for next year with still over 140 million to pay Blake Griffin over the next 4 years..... that's a fucking joke.  SVG sucked.

More:

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-pistons-fire-head-coach-stan-van-gundy-172015744.html

On 5/4/2018 at 7:13 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Missed this earlier. Irving has a player option after next season. Barring catastrophe, he's going to opt out and want to get paid. Boston is better with him, but I'm not sure by how much. Their defense is slightly worse with him, and he's not quite the catalyst to great team offense as his contemporaries. He's great, but I'd much rather pay Kawhi (again, with some health reassurances) the max (thank god not the supermax) than Kyrie.

If SA would take Kyrie + Memphis pick, I'd jump on that in a hurry in Boston. Get the legit superstar you're still lacking, keep control of both Tatum and Brown, scare the shit out of the league for the next 5 years with the most ridiculous defense ever assembled (while sacrificing zero offense), and you don't have to pay a small point guard with a trick knee.

I agree that it's not going to happen (or even be discussed) for a multitude of reasons, but one of those reasons isn't because it would make Danny Ainge feel bad.

The Lakers, if they strike out on LeBron and George, are about the only team that I could see being dumb/desperate enough to make a serious offer to OKC. That's not an anti-Westbrook thing either; it's just, how many teams would willingly take on a supermax contract right now, unless they believe that he's their missing piece? It's salary cap suicide.

Not going to happen. But it is fun to imagine the league-wide backlash of trading Russ to some shit franchise like Phoenix or Sacramento (think the backlash of trading Blake to Detroit 4 months after fake hanging his jersey in the Staples' rafters X 1,000,000). Or Oklahoma burning down their city if Presti ships out their folk hero for a bunch of draft picks.

58 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Lakers, if they strike out on LeBron and George, are about the only team that I could see being dumb/desperate enough to make a serious offer to OKC. That's not an anti-Westbrook thing either; it's just, how many teams would willingly take on a supermax contract right now, unless they believe that he's their missing piece? It's salary cap suicide.

He has lots of fans so I would think there are teams would be interested (especially if they are going nowhere like the Kings and Magic).  Of course, never underestimate the Knicks.

I guess this goes here, but no surprise that people would be interested in Capela. Funny that they also qualify it with "near-max" as an option, since the Suns are notoriously cheap.

In just his fourth season, Rockets center Clint Capela has become a household name around the league. He’s in the midst of a stellar postseason performance, with averages of 14.4 points, 12.2 rebounds, and an impressive 2.8 blocks. The 23-year old big man is becoming the defensive anchor GM Daryl Morey envisioned when he drafted him with the 25th pick in the 2014 Draft.

With free agency approaching, Capela is due for a huge payday. He is currently in the final year of his rookie deal, making approximately $2.3 million this season. Even though he is a restricted free agent, Clint Capela figures to have a list of suitors once July 1 arrives.

According to a league source, one such team is the Phoenix Suns. They have kept tabs on him throughout the season, and have reportedly become “enamored” with him. They have plans to offer Capela a max or near-max contract once free agency begins. The source requested anonymity because he isn’t authorized to comment on the Suns’ plans.

With the spending spree that was the 2016 and 2017 summers, a number of teams around the league are strapped for cash. However, according to Basketball Insiders, Phoenix has about $70.6 million in guaranteed salary for the 2018-19 season. With the salary cap projected to tap out at $102 million, that leaves more than enough room to offer Capela a max contract.

As for its center depth, Phoenix currently has only 35-year-old Tyson Chandler under contract for next season. Chandler is slated to earn $13 million.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertita has said he has no problem paying the luxury tax, and with Capela along with Chris Paul and Trevor Ariza, Houston will likely have to go deep inside the tax to keep this group together.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/09/houston-rockets-clint-capela-free-agency-phoenix-suns-max-contract-source/

13 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I guess this goes here, but no surprise that people would be interested in Capela. Funny that they also qualify it with "near-max" as an option, since the Suns are notoriously cheap.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/09/houston-rockets-clint-capela-free-agency-phoenix-suns-max-contract-source/

While I do like Capela, if he signs a max deal anywhere else that team is gonna be deeply disappointed.    If its PHO it will be funny cause they have an older version of the same thing in Tyson.   With a great playmaker both can be very good dbl-dbl options.   Without a great playmaker they will disappear to a degree and will struggle to contribute on the offensive end.   Tyson was pretty darn good back when he played with CP3.

Edited by d2o

40 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

LMAO. Thatll be like Bismack Byombo and Orlando. 

Capela is better than that but it will be simiilar.    Just proposing a max contract to Biyombo should have gotten someone fired.     Even more so when they went and traded for a Ibaka right after.

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Capela is better than that but it will be simiilar.    Just proposing a max contract to Biyombo should have gotten someone fired.     Even more so when they went and traded for a Ibaka right after.

Psssh, you're just not seeing the big picture. The Sun's are playing the long game. They know that Houston will match and fuck up their cap, just in time for Phoenix's meteoric rise to title contender.

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Well..... it did, just took some time.  Hennigan was way, way over his head.  Bad deal after bad deal.  He went back to being Presti's assistant GM.

19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well..... it did, just took some time.  Hennigan was way, way over his head.  Bad deal after bad deal.  He went back to being Presti's assistant GM.

True.    It should have been immediately though.    As soon as he called in the proposal.   Whoever is his immediate superior should have been like "You know what, this isn't gonna work out."

That was bad...hard to think of a string of more awful moves. I'll have to do some mid 2000 wolves digging

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, d2o said:

That was bad...hard to think of a string of more awful moves. I'll have to do some mid 2000 wolves digging

Yeah Kahn is one of the few that reach that level of turrible