2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Rockets win if he plays.

Probably not. But who knows, maybe. Would have been fun to see. They certainly wouldn't have missed 16,000 consecutive threes in Game 7 with their best playoff performer out there.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

As those who watched Houston build a three one lead could clearly see. 

Do what now?

But yeah, the idea that Golden State was just toying with Houston and was never in any real danger is just flat out stupid. Unless they had a crystal ball and knew CP3 would go down and knew Houston would set records for consecutive missed 3's.

Edited by aggie08

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Probably not. But who knows, maybe. Would have been fun to see. They certainly wouldn't have missed 16,000 consecutive threes in Game 7 with their best playoff performer out there.

Do what now?

But yeah, the idea that Golden State was just toying with Houston and was never in any real danger is just flat out stupid. Unless they had a crystal ball and knew CP3 would go down and knew Houston would set records for consecutive missed 3's.

100%. Was just responding in the same ridiculous tone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

100%. Was just responding in the same ridiculous tone. 

Gotcha. Yeah, you're asking a lot for Vic to grasp the difference between an underdog winning Game 6 and forcing the favorite to easily win Game 7 at home, and an underdog going up 3-2, putting all the pressure on the favorite to win consecutive games, including Game 7 on the road.

Golden State can "flip a switch" all they want and play harder and smarter on defense, but none of that guarantees that their own shots fall, or they would have elected to make more shots in the previous 5 games. I can promise you that it was never part of their plan to put themselves in a position where one bad shooting night in either two games would have ended their season.

I hope CP3 can stay upright all year...I'm just not holding my breath.

You know it's gotta burn him up inside that the "Point God" won't even be considered the best point guard of his generation, let alone be in the conversation for best ever unless he starts stacking some rings. The accumulative frustration of the last 4 seasons may reach a crescendo this season. Angry, defiant, stomping around, pouting, living in the refs' ear, fake smiling to Steve Kerr Chris Paul is the best Chris Paul.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yup. Prime Chris Paul is way better than Westbrook or KI. At this age, if can guarantee healthy. It’s still CP3 at number 2

westbrook shouldn’t be on a list of PGs. As a true PG he’s not even top 5, but is a top 15 NBA talent. 

if westbrook is on the list, harden should be on the list and harden is a much better player than westbrook.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

That's about right,  although I think lebron is the best point guard even if it says  "F" next to his name on the roster. 

I think LeBron is a great passer and playmaker for sure so no huge argument but I personally think Chris Paul should be # 2 under Curry (if healthy!).  His impact on both sides of the floor and how consistent it has been for a long time is very underrated by a lot of fans.  I love Kyrie to take a last second shot and think he is very clutch and very mentally tough when it counts which is a HUGE plus to me, but I don't think he is that close to Paul yet considering his defense and playmaking.  Kyrie is incredible on the drive and his handles are frankly possibly Top 5 all-time in NBA history.  (have to think about this one to be sure)  Kyrie has similar health issues to Paul as well.  If Westbrook is a PG I would argue Harden is kind of as well.

23 hours ago, UTDD said:

I think LeBron is a great passer and playmaker for sure so no huge argument but I personally think Chris Paul should be # 2 under Curry (if healthy!).  His impact on both sides of the floor and how consistent it has been for a long time is very underrated by a lot of fans.  I love Kyrie to take a last second shot and think he is very clutch and very mentally tough when it counts which is a HUGE plus to me, but I don't think he is that close to Paul yet considering his defense and playmaking.  Kyrie is incredible on the drive and his handles are frankly possibly Top 5 all-time in NBA history.  (have to think about this one to be sure)  Kyrie has similar health issues to Paul as well.  If Westbrook is a PG I would argue Harden is kind of as well.

This is fair. I still don’t understand why Harden doesn’t get included in PG discussions. Actually I don’t understand why we are still debating 5 positions when there really are only 3: Guards, Wings, Bigs.

With that said I think I go Steph, Harden, Westbrook as the three best guards in the league. 

The latest twist in the saga between Jimmy Butler and the Minnesota Timberwolves came on Wednesday when the four-time All-Star stepped on the practice floor with the team. 

Per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Butler practiced with the Timberwolves as he awaits resolution to his trade request. 

Wojnarowski added Butler spent practice "verbally challenging teammates, coaches and [the] front office," and at times specifically targeted head coach Tom Thibodeau, general manager Scott Layden, and teammates Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins. 

Sources told Wojnarowski that Butler yelled in Layden's direction, "you (bleeping) need me. You can't win without me."

Darth Amin reported on ESPN's The Jump (h/t Miami Heat Beat) that Butler played with the third-string players on the Timberwolves and beat the starters in a scrimmage.

"It was bad," one Timberwolves staff member told RealGM's Keith Smith. "Guys come in angry, having bad days all the time. This was as bad as I've ever seen a practice in my years in the NBA."

The Athletic's Shams Charania reported on Tuesday that Butler returned to Minnesota to reiterate his trade stance during a meeting with Thibodeau. 

Per Wojnarowski, the Miami Heat are interested in reengaging the Timberwolves in trade talks after a potential deal fell apart last weekend. 

Butler's relationship with Wiggins and Towns has reportedly been a source of conflict within the Timberwolves' locker room dating back to last season. 

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported over the summer that Butler was often frustrated by the "nonchalant attitudes of younger teammates—specifically Karl-Anthony Towns" during the 2017-18 season.

Butler averaged a team-high 22.2 points in 59 games last season. The Timberwolves finished 47-35 before losing to the Houston Rockets in the first round of the playoffs.

Lmao!! Butler straight up clowned his teammates. Played with the 3rd string players and beat the starters. 

13 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Signs point to Jimmy staying put..

Good.

lmao.

yeah, his coming in and shit talking everyone, going on espn and giving an interview saying he doesn't think the situation will be fixed and then their canceling practice this morning are all great signs that point toward butler staying in minnesota.  

30 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

lmao.

yeah, his coming in and shit talking everyone, going on espn and giving an interview saying he doesn't think the situation will be fixed and then their canceling practice this morning are all great signs that point toward butler staying in minnesota.  

They had a 5 minute players only meeting, called by him, so he could tell his teammates that "I run this team."  

Yeah, that has functionality written all over it.  

Granted it was just practice, but KAT and Wiggins haven't taken the team anywhere notable without Butler (not that a 1st round playoff exit is much better), and don't appear to have any interest in doing anything other than putting up enough stats to get paid.  At least they'll be rid of Butler after this year so they can continue their blissful existence of being a borderline playoff team at best while KAT and Wiggins make some highlight reels.

Glen Taylor met with Jimmy Butler on Sunday before practice and several days before the start of the season.

The two reached an agreement that Taylor would continue to work to find a trade of Butler that satisfies the Minnesota Timberwolves and that Butler will be a good teammate and will play hard until that happens.

Trade talks are currently believed to be dormant.

“They want me to go out here and hoop to the best of my abilities,” Butler said after practice on Sunday. “Make sure I’m healthy. Compete, ‘cause that’s what I love to do. Go up against the best, ‘cause that’s what I love to do. And do it for the guys that’s in the same jerseys as me.”

Taylor also addressed the team and was seen smiling and laughing with Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden after practice.

Thibodeau has supported Butler throughout the process. Several teams believe Thibodeau is not interested in trading Butler.

So Butler is gonna play for Minnesota for now. Guess they will see what he's worth at the deadline. 

Glen Taylor met with Jimmy Butler on Sunday before practice and several days before the start of the season.
The two reached an agreement that Taylor would continue to work to find a trade of Butler that satisfies the Minnesota Timberwolves and that Butler will be a good teammate and will play hard until that happens.
Trade talks are currently believed to be dormant.
“They want me to go out here and hoop to the best of my abilities,” Butler said after practice on Sunday. “Make sure I’m healthy. Compete, ‘cause that’s what I love to do. Go up against the best, ‘cause that’s what I love to do. And do it for the guys that’s in the same jerseys as me.”
Taylor also addressed the team and was seen smiling and laughing with Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden after practice.
Thibodeau has supported Butler throughout the process. Several teams believe Thibodeau is not interested in trading Butler.
So Butler is gonna play for Minnesota for now. Guess they will see what he's worth at the deadline. 
Lulz at those laughing at me last week.

Thibs has a man crush on his nookie blankie. He gave up a decent chunk of the wolves future for him. He wasnt going to trade him for scraps from miami despite what the outside media says he should do.

Jimmys message has always been that our young group lacks the fire. Hes right. These guys are entitled naturally talented bball players but really no strive to get better.

Jimmy was a late first who turned into a star so he knows what it takes. We'll see what happens but im happy they didnt settle.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to remind everyone the proposed trade was:

Hornets get: Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and New York's 2012 1st-round pick (which became Royce White)

Lakers get: Chris Paul

Rockets get: Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom

Instead they accepted:

Hornets get: Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Minnesota's 2012 1st-round pick (which became Austin Rivers)

Clippers get: Chris Paul, two 2nd-round picks

Neither trade would have been all that great for NOLA, but Dragic was the best player they could have gotten due to Gordon's injuries. Gordon looked like a future all-star at the time, but he didn't pan out that way. Odom got Kardashian'd, Gasol got old, and Houston would instead use some of those trade pieces to get James Harden, so they got better.