2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Looks like Klay's about to put his money where his mouth is.  He's always maintained that it's more important for him to be a part of something special than "the man" somewhere else (something I'm sure he picked up from his dad).  Rumors are he's close to signing an extension, paying him ~$121M through 2023, about $24M per.  If he were to play out next season and become a FA, he'd be eligible for 5 years, $188M from Golden State, or 4 years, ~$135M anywhere else.  Probably going to give up almost $10M a season signing an extension.

Edited by aggie08

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Looks like Klay's about to put his money where his mouth is.  He's always maintained that it's more important for him to be a part of something special than "the man" somewhere else (something I'm sure he picked up from his dad).  Rumors are he's close to signing an extension, paying him ~$121M through 2023, about $24M per.  If he were to play out next season and become a FA, he'd be eligible for 5 years, $188M from Golden State, or 4 years, ~$135M anywhere else.  Probably going to give up almost $10M a season signing an extension.

He should at least get a no-trade clause out of it.

Hawks nab their new coach.....

The Hawks will announce Lloyd Pierce as their head coach on Monday, according to Marc Spears of ESPN.com.

It's a three-year-deal with a team option for the fourth, per ESPN. This is a nice hire for the Hawks with their emphasis on player development, which Pierce knows very well with his time as a Summer League coach and going through The Process in Philly. Looking at the big picture, this could mean the Hawks sell off pieces this summer or next year.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

He should at least get a no-trade clause out of it.

He can't.  

The NBA doesn't make it easy for players to have a no-trade clause included in their contracts. In order to get one, a player must have eight NBA seasons of experience and played for the team with which he is signing for at least four of them. If those conditions have been met, a no-trade clause can be negotiated into a new contract but not a contract extension.

And:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

A no-trade clause cannot be negotiated into an extension, unless player's existing contract or extension already contained a no-trade clause.

Lastly, the Warriors declined to give Curry a no-trade clause in his last contract.  If he wasn't getting one, Thompson sure as hell isn't.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

On 5/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I guess this goes here, but no surprise that people would be interested in Capela. Funny that they also qualify it with "near-max" as an option, since the Suns are notoriously cheap.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/09/houston-rockets-clint-capela-free-agency-phoenix-suns-max-contract-source/

So.... I've been reading about this and it feels like even Houston knew they'd be giving him a huge extension or near max money.  This is from 2 years ago.....

D’Antoni lionizes his ballhandlers, and as Stoudemire would attest, abuses his big men. “This is what you’re going to do for us,” D’Antoni told Capela in their first training camp. “Protect the rim, run the floor, set a pick, roll to the basket—oh, it didn’t work—go back, set another pick and do it over again. I’m going to yell at you, but if we win a championship, you’ll be the reason, and if we lose, it’s not your fault. We’ll still probably give you $80 million.” Capela, then a part-time starter, has seen most of D’Antoni’s prophesies come true. While Gordon is the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, Capela is the league’s most prolific roller, and he will hit restricted free agency this summer.

Now, it's going to be more than 100 million but even MDA knew that his offense with buy in will get bigs paid, even if they aren't nearly as good as Amare'..... Very interesting.

A player re-signing with his own team (8% annual raises, up to five years):

Year 6 years or less 7-9 years 10+ years
2018/19 $25,250,000 $30,300,000 $35,350,000
2019/20 $27,270,000 $32,724,000 $38,178,000
2020/21 $29,290,000 $35,148,000 $41,006,000
2021/22 $31,310,000 $37,572,000 $43,834,000
2022/23 $33,330,000 $39,996,000 $46,662,000
Total $146,450,000 $175,740,000 $205,030,000

Here's an estimate of what Phoenix could offer him.... So basically, he's going get 25 million or close per season..... 

A player signing with a new team (5% annual raises, up to four years):

Year 6 years or less 7-9 years 10+ years
2018/19 $25,250,000 $30,300,000 $35,350,000
2019/20 $26,512,500 $31,815,000 $37,117,500
2020/21 $27,775,000 $33,330,000 $38,885,000
2021/22 $29,037,500 $34,845,000 $40,652,500
Total $108,575,000 $130,290,000 $152,005,000
Edited by Patrick Bateman

Yeah, that's a lot, but he's a young guy, seems like a good dude, and is perfect for the D'Antoni offense. I figure if it's between him and CP3, they gotta keep Clint, and hope CP3 is willing to work with them on a lower long-term payment plan. 

As a Rockets fan, I would prefer not to give Clint the full max if they don't have to, but they are better off matching someone else's deal than giving him the max from their end. I hope he keeps getting better, it's crazy to think he turns 24 this week. 

The CP3 thing is going to be interesting this offseason.  If Houston wins or pushes Golden State to 6 or 7 really tough games, the decision is easy: pay Capela and CP3 (Bird Rights) whatever you have to, and run it back.  But what if it's a sweep or gentleman's sweep after a dream regular season?  CP3 and LeBron fought pretty hard to change the maximum age you can be while under a 4 or 5 year contract from 36 to 38.  They both want one more huge deal.  CP3 is already only eligible for a 4-year deal.  No way Morey commits to a destroying their cap long-term for an aging point guard who doesn't get them over the hump.  Maybe Houston can get CP3 to sign a big one-year deal this offseason, still making him eligible for a 3-year deal in the 2019 offseason (from Houston or someone else). But that's a big gamble for a 6'0" who will be turning 34 next season.

Edited by aggie08

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, that's a lot, but he's a young guy, seems like a good dude, and is perfect for the D'Antoni offense. I figure if it's between him and CP3, they gotta keep Clint, and hope CP3 is willing to work with them on a lower long-term payment plan. 

As a Rockets fan, I would prefer not to give Clint the full max if they don't have to, but they are better off matching someone else's deal than giving him the max from their end. I hope he keeps getting better, it's crazy to think he turns 24 this week. 

yeah i could be wrong, but to me it feels like it'd be better for the rockets to match a 4 year max from another team rather than give a 5 year max of their own. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i could be wrong, but to me it feels like it'd be better for the rockets to match a 4 year max from another team rather than give a 5 year max of their own. 

Absolutely although they would be subject to a poison pill like a non-trade clause or player option after 3, etc, etc but pure money..... better to match.

Said this on a different thread:

Unfortunately, even if they don't re-sign Boogie, it doesn't open up any cap space to sign an actual wing or anything.

Their best bet is to sign Boogie to a short-term moveable contract. Then, if it isn't working, trade him for pieces.

How Boogie will respond to being offered a "prove it" contract instead of the max is another story...

So I guess not very well?

20 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Not a Rockets fan, but it seems to me, if you have Harden and Capela locked up, you remain a contender for the next 5 years. You remain a desirable free agent destination and can constantly tweak role players until you find the perfect mix.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

If it had a PTO after one season so he could go back into the free agent market after he proves he's healthy but still gives him a nice insurance policy for 3 years if he can't come back the same, then it could be appealing..... best of both worlds.  If he proves he's healthy but it's not gelling like it should with AD, they could trade him before the deadline to a team who wants his Bird rights....

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lakers would still need to re-sign Randle, but they could do it with Bird rights after using the cap space. 

This would also indicate Lebron isn't going to the Lakers.

Wouldn't they have to dump Lopez and/or renounce KCP and maybe Randle?

40 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lopez and KCP are expiring. Randle is an RFA, and will have a relatively low cap hold. They should have nearly 70m in capspace. Deng is the only really bad contact they have.

Right it was Deng with the bad deal.   They will have renounce both KCP and Lopez though as they will have large cap holds based on their current salaries.   Not that renouncing is a big deal

10 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

kevin o'connor wrote a piece about lebron's options this summer.  talks about the rockets, sixers and lakers:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/17/17364284/lebron-james-free-agency-2018-mercenary

As I’ve said all along I don’t think he goes to the West unless he joins the Rockets, but I’m not sure I see that. He won’t win anything with the Lakers if it’s him + Russ or George vs the Warriors and Rockets. Philly seems the best option to me right now. They have a full season to figure it out as a team, and and long as they add a couple of shooters along the way like they did this year then they’d be title contenders. The great unknown at this point is which other teams will start moving pieces around to make their own pitch to LBJ.

With that said, I know less than nothing about NBA front office stuff, player contracts, who has cap room, bird rights, and all that, so go easy on me if what I’m about to say is completely retarded- is there any way the Pacers could offer some combination of Turner/Young/Bogdanovich + cash/picks for Kawhi Leonard with money left over to sign LeBron? Indiana has good young players as well experienced vets and thy are basketball-crazy up there. Dipo + Bron + Young/Turner/Bogdanovich isn't a bad start. Of course as I said I have no idea if any of this even makes sense. Just trying to figure out possible destinations for him in the East. 

Edited by Goo Punch

KAT and the TWolves aren't simpatico according to beat writer and Zach Lowe....

According to Zach Lowe on ESPN's Lowe Post Podcast, Karl-Anthony Towns and the Wolves are not in a good place right now.

Lowe also mentioned local Minnesota reporter Darren Wolfson of KSTP had similar thoughts, and ESPN's Brian Windhorst mentioned that the Celtics could possibly take a look at a KAT deal. To be very clear here, there is nothing to report on a trade even being close, so just keep this in mind in July. The Wolves are not going to have cap space and they're one of the shallowest teams in the NBA.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This...did not age well.

"When asked who current GM’s would start a franchise around today if they had the choice of any player, more than 48% selected Towns. That itself shows what General Managers think about Towns and his versatile game."

https://sportingsota.com/2016/10/18/karl-anthony-towns-picked-franchise/

His defense has really gone south..... He still young and very talented though.  After his disappointing playoff run, if you still like him, this may be a ripe time to make an offer....

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

His defense has really gone south..... He still young and very talented though.  After his disappointing playoff run, if you still like him, this may be a ripe time to make an offer....

I really think the issue is Thibs.   MIN put themselves in a corner giving him full control IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Are there any rumors that they might move Wiggins? He seems like a guy to take a flyer on, ala Olidipo.

Gotta think Wiggins if immovable, unless he's packaged in with KAT or Butler somehow. No one's going to take a flyer on a dude who will be making $33M per year at the end of his current deal.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Gotta think Wiggins if immovable, unless he's packaged in with KAT or Butler somehow. No one's going to take a flyer on a dude who will be making $33M per year at the end of his current deal.

As a Mavs fan, I would be fine taking a chance on Wiggins. He's young, and I'd like to see him with a change of scenery. We gotta spend the money on somebody at some point.

I think the idea of moving him would be to lock up KAT and Butler long-term.

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

as wild as it sounds 33M won't be that much in 4-5 yrs

21 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

As a Mavs fan, I would be fine taking a chance on Wiggins. He's young, and I'd like to see him with a change of scenery. We gotta spend the money on somebody at some point.

I like Butler but if the choice is him or Wiggins I would keep Wiggins 1000 times out of 1000.   However this is Thibs and he loves his guys so he I'm guessing he would keep Butler.

Minnesota will be around $127 million this offseason with Wiggins extension kicking in. They will have 9 players under contract and be in the luxury tax. Gonna be tough to do anything to improve on that roster. 
Oh, and this:

In a memo to teams, the NBA has NOT changed it's preseason salary cap projection, it remains at $101 mil for 2018-19 and 108 mil for 2019-20. Tax at $123 mil and $131 mil, respectively. Typically, there's variance in the pre/post projection but not this year

Edited by Dutchrudder

48 minutes ago, d2o said:

I like Butler but if the choice is him or Wiggins I would keep Wiggins 1000 times out of 1000.   However this is Thibs and he loves his guys so he I'm guessing he would keep Butler.

Am I reading this wrong? Why?

Butler is bigger, the better defender, the better shooter, the better passer, is just entering his prime, his work ethic and commitment aren't question marks, and, even when he signs a big deal next offseason, will only be marginally higher paid than Wiggins.

Other than "he's 22, so maybe he'll figure things out" what does Wiggins have going for him?

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

Unless you like 2 Harrison Barnes' deals on your team....

KAT didnt do much to expand his game at all really from his last 2 years. I can see why GM's gushed over him a few years ago....but the loser mentality of this team his first 2 years + a hard nosed coach like Thibs makes it look like this is a failed experiment.

Wiggins still sucks tho, if we can find a suitor for a bag of socks, we should take it. Focus on Teague/KAT/Rose(?) off the bench & Butler being the core

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Am I reading this wrong? Why?

Butler is bigger, the better defender, the better shooter, the better passer, is just entering his prime, his work ethic and commitment aren't question marks, and, even when he signs a big deal next offseason, will only be marginally higher paid than Wiggins.

Other than "he's 22, so maybe he'll figure things out" what does Wiggins have going for him?

Meh, before Butler got to MIN all of Wiggins offensive numbers were comparable to Butler.   This yr proved to me that Butler isn't as good as Thibs and more important, Butler thinks he is.      In multiple close games this yr, he went into full Kobe-mode.   He shot every single time down no matter who or how many were defending him.    He almost single-handedly lost that last game of the season that got them into the playoffs.

Add in that Wiggins is 6 yrs younger and will be 10% cheaper and the choice is easy for me if I had to choose between them.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, before Butler got to MIN all of Wiggins offensive numbers were comparable to Butler.   This yr proved to me that Butler isn't as good as Thibs and more important, Butler thinks he is.      In multiple close games this yr, he went into full Kobe-mode.   He shot every single time down no matter who or how many were defending him.    He almost single-handedly lost that last game of the season that got them into the playoffs.

Add in that Wiggins is 6 yrs younger and will be 10% cheaper and the choice is easy for me if I had to choose between them.

This is the case for Wiggins...... As players there's really no comparison.  Wiggins is actually kind of a lousy player.  Can't pass, doesn't really rebound, takes a bunch of long 2's, and is indifferent to defense most of the time.  But Butler didn't really become a very good player until 24/25.  Wiggins is 23.  Butler will be 29, not really going into his prime, he's already in it and probably starts descending in a year or two.  But on the court right this second, there's no doubt who the better player is.  Wiggins is about to start a 25 million dollar contract, he needs to figure it out, but players don't always get better under Thibs.  Someone said he may need a change of scenery and it may be true but again, very young, so Minny probably gives it another year.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

This...did not age well.

"When asked who current GM’s would start a franchise around today if they had the choice of any player, more than 48% selected Towns. That itself shows what General Managers think about Towns and his versatile game."

https://sportingsota.com/2016/10/18/karl-anthony-towns-picked-franchise/

9 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Are there any rumors that they might move Wiggins? He seems like a guy to take a flyer on, ala Olidipo.

Dipo can defend though.