Scott Drew

Wally Pryor

We used to piss on Scott Drew for his coaching inadequacies in the Big 12.  For good reason. Tactically and otherwise. He was terrible.  Ask Barnes.  But he's come a long way - his coaching at halftime of the Nova game saved Baylor's season.  Without a clue from outside, they went off script, went inside and won that game in the 2H. Otherwise, they'd be at home tonight. 

He has now completed one of the best coaching jobs in college sports history, any sport.  18 years ago he took over a Baylor team that was the lowest of lows.  Most teams try and recover from a bad season.  He had to recover from a murder, rogue coaches and much more.  They couldn't even play a non-conference schedule when Drew started, it was so bad.

Hats off to Drew.  

Now go fuck him over Beard.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Blotto said:

Perhaps the best thing I can say about Covid is that it prevented Baylor from possibly winning  it all last year. 

I think they win either way. Without COVID they win it all in 2020 and some of their top-line players leave instead of running it back another year. COVID (and Baylor's inability to prevent outbreaks) is the reason they didn't have an undefeated season this year.

20 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
We used to piss on Scott Drew for his coaching inadequacies in the Big 12.  For good reason. Tactically and otherwise. He was terrible.  Ask Barnes.  But he's come a long way - his coaching at halftime of the Nova game saved Baylor's season.  Without a clue from outside, they went off script, went inside and won that game in the 2H. Otherwise, they'd be at home tonight. 

He has now completed one of the best coaching jobs in college sports history, any sport.  18 years ago he took over a Baylor team that was the lowest of lows.  Most teams try and recover from a bad season.  He had to recover from a murder, rogue coaches and much more.  They couldn't even play a non-conference schedule when Drew started, it was so bad.

Hats off to Drew.  

Now go fuck him over Beard.

Don’t think anyone ever used to piss on his coaching inadequacy, they just thought he was a shitty human being 

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s my first instinct when I think about Drew and I’m not sure why. What I now think of when I think about Drew is that he attracted Butler, Teague and Mitchell to share the same backcourt, and I’ve never seen three guys who can pop the three, finish at the rim, pass with vision, play together, and play tough defensively. I’m envious. We’ve never had anything close to that. 

he's got so many good fucking guards.. 

Drew started to get it together when he aborted the zone full time. 

that being said, KU easily wins it all last year. We were undefeated with a healthy 8 man. 3 losses all of which were without our 75% shooting bug man or 1 without our all American point guard. 

congrats to drew. He’s earned some respect. Follow it up with more E8’s and F4’s and become the second best couch in the league... or better yet... call UNC and ask them to fire Hubert. 

Just now, Jhawk said:

Drew started to get it together when he aborted the zone full time. 

that being said, KU easily wins it all last year. We were undefeated with a healthy 8 man. 3 losses all of which were without our 75% shooting bug man or 1 without our all American point guard. 

Cool story, bro

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Plenty of people used to rag on Drew's poor in-game coaching. He's grown into a premier coach, no denying it.

Sweet 16 v. Villanova.   Baylor was 15% from 3.  Its bread and butter and they were fucking lost.  Drew scrapped their entire game plan in the 2H and made sure every shot came within 5 feet of the bucket.  If they were uncomfortable doing so, whatever.  But they were successful and won the  game.   No changes, and they would have lost.

Drew is undeniably a very good coach.  

If he sucks as a human I'd like to hear more details. If it's just that he has to deal with Chip and Joanna on an ongoing basis, maybe I'll understand why he can be bad.

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

If he sucks as a human I'd like to hear more details. If it's just that he has to deal with Chip and Joanna on an ongoing basis, maybe I'll understand why he can be bad.

his program has been dirty for a long time now. he famously tried to buy John Wall but came in second place in that sweepstakes; he's been known to draw the ire of opposing coaches who think he's a slimy-ass scumbag who puts on this Christian, upstanding guy front; and just the other day i learned (right here on shaggy) that one of his assistants once threatened to have a Colombian recruit deported if the kid committed anywhere but Baylor. His assistant seriously texted the kid's parents threatening deportation. i'm sure someone else can add some more color here, but Drew's slimy reputation goes way back. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

The bad gossip I recall hearing about Drew was that he was a negative recruiter. This was back on HF (the old-old site), where we would openly make fun of Drew and the Baylor program.

I've no knowledge of what Drew would say to recruits, or even if those rumors were true. I also remember "talk" of under-the-table dealings between boosters and players, but honestly, such shit gets said about every program.

I've never seen anything substantiated or corroborated, in print or on the air, about Drew being a terrible person.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Y'all know my posting history--I might lead the board in "Fuck Baylor" posts--because I refuse to forgive the school (or its fanbase) for what happened under Briles. To not only sweep a series of rapes under the rug, but to blame the victims and try to shut them up, it's a loathsome and diabolical history that anybody associated with the school should be ashamed of, right up there with the Sandusky/Paterno/Ped State scandal.

But Drew and his players had nothing to do with it. The program has somehow overcome the rapes and Dennehy murder. On one hand, it infuriates me, especially when I see how much talent and potential Shaka wasted in his six years here, but on the other hand, I can only tender begrudging respect to the Baylor coaching staff and its players. What the Bears accomplished is monumental.

Just wish it had been some other Texas school. Even aggy. (Fuck me, I can't believe I actually typed that. But yes, I'd rather it have been aggy.)

Anyway, tldr. To our regular Bears posters (@LTbear, @SimonBolivar, @El Diablo, et al.): congrats. Cherish it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The bad gossip I recall hearing about Drew was that he was a negative recruiter. This was back on HF (the old-old site), where we would openly make fun of Drew and the Baylor program.

I've no knowledge of what Drew would say to recruits, or even if those rumors were true. I also remember "talk" of under-the-table dealings between boosters and players, but honestly, such shit gets said about every program.

I've never seen anything substantiated or corroborated, in print or on the air, about Drew being a terrible person.

they have screenshots of his assistant threatening deportation to that Colombian kid, and then of course he hired John Wall's AAU coach and gave him a six figure salary (while no doubt filtering some money down to Wall himself). that's two things i know of that are out in the open. 

his program has been dirty for a long time now. he famously tried to buy John Wall but came in second place in that sweepstakes; he's been known to draw the ire of opposing coaches who think he's a slimy-ass scumbag who puts on this Christian, upstanding guy front; and just the other day i learned (right here on shaggy) that one of his assistants once threatened to have a Colombian recruit deported if the kid committed anywhere but Baylor. His assistant seriously texted the kid's parents threatening deportation. i'm sure someone else can add some more color here, but Drew's slimy reputation goes way back. 
Is it just recruiting shit that has him as a "bad guy" or is there some other things that make him slimy?

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

they have screenshots of his assistant threatening deportation to that Colombian kid, and then of course he hired John Wall's AAU coach and gave him a six figure salary (while no doubt filtering some money down to Wall himself). that's two things i know of that are out in the open. 

The first is pretty deplorable, but the second (hiring a key recruit's AAU coach or family member) at an exorbitant salary for some bullshit position is unfortunately common these days.

Just now, Both Tacos said:
14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Is it just recruiting shit that has him as a "bad guy" or is there some other things that make him slimy?

those are all of the specifics that i know of. well that, and how openly Rick Barnes hated Drew when they were both in the Big XII. the negative recruiting rumors that braff mentioned seemed to me to be verifiable by the way that other coaches in the league all seemed to hate Drew/apparently know about the negative recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The first is pretty deplorable, but the second (hiring a key recruit's AAU coach or family member) at an exorbitant salary for some bullshit position is unfortunately common these days.

yep, and that's how i see it: in college basketball and football, everyone is cheating; every single program. everyone is a cheater. but who takes it further and is an actual scumbag? Urban Meyer, Coach Cal, Barry Switzer, etc. for example Bill Self cheats his ass off, but i've never heard of him being a scumbag. i can live with that. however, i have heard multiple sources who believe that Drew leans a lot more towards the scumbag portion of the spectrum than he lets on, and paired with his public image that pisses them off. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

however, i have heard multiple sources who believe that Drew leans a lot more towards the scumbag portion of the spectrum than he lets on, and paired with his public image that pisses them off. 

Fair enough.  He may be have 666s imbedded in that thinning scalp.

Details?

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Every program in the country has hired an AAU coach to try and lure a player.  KU has done it multiple times.  Baylor sponsored Hanmer Parea’s visa, which was legal at that point, and when he went to visit Indiana and said he wanted to go there an assistant said Baylor would stop sponsoring his visa.   He was fired for it.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don’t think anyone ever used to piss on his coaching inadequacy, they just thought he was a shitty human being 

Drew couldn't coach himself out of a box early on.  

He was terrible.  But Baylor had no choice but to stick with him.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yep, and that's how i see it: in college basketball and football, everyone is cheating; every single program. everyone is a cheater. but who takes it further and is an actual scumbag? Urban Meyer, Coach Cal, Barry Switzer, etc. for example Bill Self cheats his ass off, but i've never heard of him. wing a scumbag. i can live with that. however i have heard multiple sources who believe that Drew leans a lot more towards the scumbag portion of the spectrum, and paired with his public image that pisses them off. 

at the 2011 final four in Houston, we ended up drinking one night with a random group of assistant coaches from mainly midwestern schools. We asked them which well known coach gets away with shadiest recruiting....they all answered Self, and it wasn't close. So here we are 10 years later, Self has the FBI up his ass, its no longer really a secret, and KU just gave him a lifetime contract. So why wouldn't these guys cheat? Just don't be a dick and its pretty much accepted. 

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The assistant (Mark Morefield) was fired. And Baylor's recruiting subsequently went to shit after he left. But, yeah, John Wall was a complete stud when he played for Baylor. I forgot about that. 😐

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yep, and that's how i see it: in college basketball and football, everyone is cheating; every single program. everyone is a cheater. but who takes it further and is an actual scumbag? Urban Meyer, Coach Cal, Barry Switzer, etc. for example Bill Self cheats his ass off, but i've never heard of him being a scumbag. i can live with that. however, i have heard multiple sources who believe that Drew leans a lot more towards the scumbag portion of the spectrum than he lets on, and paired with his public image that pisses them off. 

Exactly. Every damn program cheats to some extent. Is Drew in the Urban Meyer/Bill Self/Will Wade/Eddie Sutton category? If he is, he's not very good at it. His recruiting, aside from a strong 3 or 4-year run, has been absolutely awful, especially considering that Baylor has been a borderline top 25 program.

All of the other coaches mentioned above bring in elite, 5-star recruits every single year. Baylor just got its FIRST 5-star commit in a decade, and they struggle to get low-end 4-star recruits.

But, sure, Rick Barnes said he was dirty so he must be dirty. It couldn't be that Barnes saw him as a threat to his own job security--a job he ended up losing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

All the post-game coverage: "What an unbelievable, amazing turnaround Drew accomplished, all the way from the bottom to the top, in just 18 years."

18 years, dude, does not seem like a 'turnaround'.   

Not to take away from how rare it is for a coach to actually win a nat'l title, or the accomplishments of not only rebuilding a program but also lasting at 1 school for 18 years, but c'mon man.  I hate how the truth in context is rarely good enough for the media, they just have to contort everything into max fairy tale.

I’ve never seen a team with better guard play in my life and I’m 42 and have watched many tourneys. 

I was unbelievably impressed with Davion Mitchell.  His defense is unreal for a college player.  Just tremendously disruptive.  Playing on ball defense an inch off his man all the way out to half court.  And the guys he was dominating are the cream of the crop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naija said:

It wasn’t just Rick Barnes. Bobby Knight famously cornered Drew in person and gave him an earful. On a survey of college coaches who cheat, his own peers ranked him 2nd behind Calipari.

It’s been pretty clear Cal quit cheating the last few seasons.  The asshole needs to get back to his Worldwide Wes days and get shit right.  

All the post-game coverage: "What an unbelievable, amazing turnaround Drew accomplished, all the way from the bottom to the top, in just 18 years."
18 years, dude, does not seem like a 'turnaround'.   
Not to take away from how rare it is for a coach to actually win a nat'l title, or the accomplishments of not only rebuilding a program but also lasting at 1 school for 18 years, but c'mon man.  I hate how the truth in context is rarely good enough for the media, they just have to contort everything into max fairy tale.

Couldn’t agree more, esp in a sport like bball that can catch lightening in a single year or just a tourney run. Credit to them for winning it all and dominating along the way, but no need for the Disney dramatics. Throw on that this is a power 5 conference school not some slapass like Loyola Chicago or butler.

16 hours ago, naija said:

It wasn’t just Rick Barnes. Bobby Knight famously cornered Drew in person and gave him an earful. On a survey of college coaches who cheat, his own peers ranked him 2nd behind Calipari.

Here's a good recap of some of his many sins as a recruiter. What a horrible human being, lol. His handling of Lace was probably the worst thing he's done publicly and was not something I approved of. Coaches get paid well to win and the decisions they make to that aim are sometimes regrettable.  Maybe it was completely out of character that Lace punched his baby mama so hard he broke her jaw and maybe Drew thought Lace needed a 2nd chance. Maybe Drew just wanted to win bball games at any cost. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between. 

https://www.espn.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714

• Hook 'Em 1

That ESPN article was a whole lot of nothing. I’m not sure that negative recruiting is a big deal if it were honest discussion. Putting out a flier in the open allows for honest counter arguments. I’m quite certain negative recruiting entails deceptive and inaccurate information so I’m not a fan.

My personal dealings with Drew are limited but all positive. So I’ll go with him being a good dude at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1