Another question on shower valves....

We have selected several sets of pressure balance single lever valves, with a separate diverter valve.  For the master, the diverter is between shower head and shower wand.  For the teen kids, the diverter is between tub and shower, with the goal of avoiding a tub spout diverter for kids that are pushing 6' tall and who may take a bath a year, if that.  Now, the builder has said that this will not work - that we must either have a single valve/trim with incorporated diverter, or move from pressure balance to thermostatic valves, or we will have "pressure" problems.  We don't really want the additional expense of thermostatic, which we could do in the master, but which is not offered in the kids' selections.  If the warning is accurate and we should avoid the combo of pressure balance valve and a separate diverter valve, we will need to start over on at least one kids' bathroom selection, where the current selection "collection" has no valve/integrated diverter option.  It does not make sense to me that a pressure balance valve with an integrated diverter would be OK, but a pressure balance valve and a separate diverter valve would cause "pressure" problems.  Anyone know the answer to this dilemma?    

I've done some additional googling and reading, and found some helpful information from Delta.  It sounds like diverter valves intended for selection between various shower components restrict water flow to less than optimal for filling a tub - hence the "pressure" issue.  Better to go with a true tub/shower valve, with a push/pull tub diverter.  Surly comes though again!

Sweet, an official surly shower valve thread!

So, I’m replacing two shower faucets outright. The originals are made by Valley if that tells you anything. Settled on a Moen. The Moen website says “VALVE REQUIRED: This trim kit requires valve # 2510, 2520, 2570, or 2590 to complete installation”

Surly shower valve gods, what’s the difference?

On 4/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Sweet, an official surly shower valve thread!

So, I’m replacing two shower faucets outright. The originals are made by Valley if that tells you anything. Settled on a Moen. The Moen website says “VALVE REQUIRED: This trim kit requires valve # 2510, 2520, 2570, or 2590 to complete installation”

Surly shower valve gods, what’s the difference?

2510 - IPS, no stops

2590 - IPS, with stops

2520 - CC, no stops

2570 - CC, with stops

There are also pex models.

• Like 1