Big Sky, Montana

deadshank

My FIL was considerate enough to VRBO a nice place along the Gallatin River for a month and invite his 2nd daughter and 3rd favorite yerno up for a 5 day stay there, some fly fishing here and there and a jaunt over to YNP for a day.  

Any of you fools been to Big Sky?  Reccos for dining, drinking and an honest game of dice?

Do tell.

56 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

You’ll be in the area of Three Forks. I thought the historical and economic significance of that area was amazing, and it was very neat that we could swim in the headwaters of the United States’ longest river. Worth checking out, if you’re into that kind of shit. 

Gonna be kinda cold to be swimming later this week.  But I will push my BIL into the cold water and report back with my findings. 

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

My FIL was considerate enough to VRBO a nice place along the Gallatin River for a month and invite his 2nd daughter and 3rd favorite yerno up for a 5 day stay there, some fly fishing here and there and a jaunt over to YNP for a day.  

Any of you fools been to Big Sky?  Reccos for dining, drinking and an honest game of dice?

Do tell.

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My visits to big sky were pretty much limited to what is on the ski resort property, and I never went looking for fun and trouble because they were family trips. 

would have gone to lone peak brewery but they weren’t open the day we wanted to go- they are closed Tuesdays and wednesdays. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My visits to big sky were pretty much limited to what is on the ski resort property, and I never went looking for fun and trouble because they were family trips. 

would have gone to lone peak brewery but they weren’t open the day we wanted to go- they are closed Tuesdays and wednesdays. 

Tanks far nootin, Danny. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

The kidnappers wouldn’t last 5 minutes with him talking his yankee nonsense  

Wait until BIL gets married off to some gay douchebag French trapper living out in the wilderness, who speaks no English at all. That yankee nonsense won't bother our modern-day Charbonneau much.

Not sure when you're going, but YNP for a day is tough.  It's a fairly long trip into and out of the park and depending on the crowds, could take some time to navigate through. If you'll be traveling over Beartooth Pass, it typically doesn't open until late May.  We spent 10 days in the Billings/Red Lodge area last July and had a fantastic time.  Looking forward to our next trip.  Have fun!

YNP info - https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2013-yellowstone-opening-and-closing-dates/

2 hours ago, VonZipper said:

Not sure when you're going, but YNP for a day is tough.  It's a fairly long trip into and out of the park and depending on the crowds, could take some time to navigate through. If you'll be traveling over Beartooth Pass, it typically doesn't open until late May.  We spent 10 days in the Billings/Red Lodge area last July and had a fantastic time.  Looking forward to our next trip.  Have fun!

YNP info - https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2013-yellowstone-opening-and-closing-dates/

I hear you.  I’ve been on the Beartooth Hwy before and it is an extraordinary drive.  We are coming in from the northwest so we will miss the Beartooth. 

Our one day is a guided trip with an early start (staying in Gardner the night before).  Our guide is attuned to bears and wolves as the primary species to see.   He’s all hooked up with the rangers and their radio chatter.   We’ve used him before and he’s really awesome.  

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I hear you.  I’ve been on the Beartooth Hwy before and it is an extraordinary drive.  We are coming in from the northwest so we will miss the Beartooth. 

Our one day is a guided trip with an early start (staying in Gardner the night before).  Our guide is attuned to bears and wolves as the primary species to see.   He’s all hooked up with the rangers and their radio chatter.   We’ve used him before and he’s really awesome.  

That sounds badass.  Link to guide?  Or DM?

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Sounds like you will be staying in the lamar valley part of the park.  Maybe you could sneak a look at tower falls- that valley kind of dominates the landscape in the NE region so there’s not a ton of geographical features or thermals. 

also, Gardner is like 90 minutes from big sky and you go thru Bozeman, so you could hit up those breweries as well. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I thought the Norris Geyser Basin in YNP was really cool, very unworldly looking terrain. That is not too far south of Gardiner. The Mammoth Hot Springs area is even closer to where you will be. I did not get into that as much as the Norris area, but part of that is I was tired by that point. A little farther south of Norris is the Artists Paintpots trail, which I thought was cool, a bit low-key, but the 'paintpots' are cool. Farther south than this is Great Prismatic Spring, which is also very cool, and very crowded. The best views are supposedly from above, but all the places with higher-up views were closed when I was there, so I just had the standard views from down low.

To appreciate the thermal features in Yellowstone, you really need to see them in person, and see/hear/smell all the gurgling and splashing, which makes them feel alive. Photos do not capture that. And for checking out thermal pools, make sure you have polarized sunglasses, so you can see down into the depths better.

Edited by pantone159
polarization, how does it work?
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

I thought the Norris Geyser Basin in YNP was really cool, very unworldly looking terrain. That is not too far south of Gardiner. The Mammoth Hot Springs area is even closer to where you will be. I did not get into that as much as the Norris area, but part of that is I was tired by that point. A little farther south of Norris is the Artists Paintpots trail, which I thought was cool, a bit low-key, but the 'paintpots' are cool. Farther south than this is Great Prismatic Spring, which is also very cool, and very crowded. The best views are supposedly from above, but all the places with higher-up views were closed when I was there, so I just had the standard views from down low.

To appreciate the thermal features in Yellowstone, you really need to see them in person, and see/hear/smell all the gurgling and splashing, which makes them feel alive. Photos do not capture that. And for checking out thermal pools, make sure you have polarized sunglasses, so you can see down into the depths better.

Yep.  I’ve seen all that several times. Great stuff.  YNP is quite the place to experience. 

So this just hit my radar, as there is a new low cost airline that is going to be based out of Burbank Airport and fly into 11 select smaller airports in the west.  They are having blowout fares right now to get people to give it a try.  Bozeman Airport is one of them.  Four of us mid-August would be $232 R/T.  And no, that is not per person.  That is total.  Holy crap.  We were looking for a summer vacation idea.  This could be it.

https://www.aveloair.com/

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So this just hit my radar, as there is a new low cost airline that is going to be based out of Burbank Airport and fly into 11 select smaller airports in the west.  They are having blowout fares right now to get people to give it a try.  Bozeman Airport is one of them.  Four of us mid-August would be $232 R/T.  And no, that is not per person.  That is total.  Holy crap.  We were looking for a summer vacation idea.  This could be it.

Do it.  That's cheaper than you can drive.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn. How old are their planes?

I spend summers at my fishing cabin about 1-1/2 hours south of Big Sky on the Henry's Fork.  It has been a while since I drove up there for dinner (it's a long drive after slamming wine all night), but two restaurants I enjoy are Buck's T4 and the Rainbow Lodge.  Buck's T4 is located in a Best Western motel, but has high end cuisine.  They also have a nice bar with a limited (and much cheaper) "locals" menu that you have to ask for.  The Rainbow Lodge comes across as a bit fancier with great food and wine list.  The last time we went to the Rainbow Lodge we couldn't leave the restaurant for a while because a moose was patrolling the parking lot.

That area has really been growing so I'm sure there are now a lot of other places to check out.