2022 Gubernatorial Elections

PenelopeWitherspoon

https://www.axios.com/andrew-giuliani-new-york-governor-ffb19d50-7b9d-48b8-b3a7-0a5226dd7714.html

Cuomo still expected to run for re-election next year, and while I am not his biggest fan, he is light years better than this asshole.

Oh, Giuliana is Trump backed.

God help New York.  I know Texas also has a gubernatorial election in 2022, so we could see massive media attention paid to these races, especially if a Matthew McConaughey runs in Texas, moreso than gubernatorial elections in the past.

Republicans: Fuck this, dynasties are stupid.  People are tired of re-electing Bushes and Clintons.  Who cares if Hillary was the most qualified person to run for President, no one wants to keep re-electing people with the same last names

Also Republicans: Rudy Giuliani's son, who plays golf with Trump and arranged sport team visits at the WH for a couple years and is now a NewsMax contributor, is eminently qualified to be governor of NY because reasons. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rep. Lee “I See MS13 on every Hamptons streetcorner” Zeldin is running for NY. Seems he and Stefanik have seen their stars dim a bit since being elected.  Better candidate than Ginger Giuliani, but this looks to help Democrats.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

Republicans: Fuck this, dynasties are stupid.  People are tired of re-electing Bushes and Clintons.  Who cares if Hillary was the most qualified person to run for President, no one wants to keep re-electing people with the same last names
Also Republicans: Rudy Giuliani's son, who plays golf with Trump and arranged sport team visits at the WH for a couple years and is now a NewsMax contributor, is eminently qualified to be governor of NY because reasons. 

Republicans aren’t going to get a good candidate to run in NY. They simply aren’t winning even with Cuomo being damaged goods. I’d hope there’s a robust Democratic primary challenger for him, because he should be out of a job and possibly prosecuted.

Abbott wins and never really sweats it.

44 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Rep. Lee “I See MS13 on every Hamptons streetcorner” Zeldin is running for NY. Seems he and Stefanik have seen their stars dim a bit since being elected.  Better candidate than Ginger Giuliani, but this looks to help Democrats.

Just saw that in the NYT.

2022 is a big year.  California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Georgia all go to elect new Governors.  Geez, didn't quite realize that.  California is the least interesting of all those IMO.  Lot of things to eye in these races.

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Republicans aren’t going to get a good candidate to run in NY. They simply aren’t winning even with Cuomo being damaged goods. I’d hope there’s a robust Democratic primary challenger for him, because he should be out of a job and possibly prosecuted.

Abbott wins and never really sweats it.

Agree on Cuomo.  

I really hope you are wrong about Abbott.  I for one would like to see MM run as an Dem or independent.  I think he could win.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we talk about 2021 gubernatorial elections first: Virginia and New Jersey and maybe California?  These are often interesting because they're kind of a sneak preview of what the midterm is going to look like.  Christie Whitman winning in New Jersey in 1993 was kind of an early tip off that things might go badly for Democrats in the 1994 midterms.  Same with Chris Christie in 2009.  

Virginia: Interesting blu-ish state because the incumbent can't run for re-election.  McAullffe sounds like he is going to run again, and he remains reasonably popular.  If the Democrats lose this, then there's a big problem.

New Jersey: Same deal--if the Democrats lose this, then they're going to have a big fucking problem in 2022.

California: This is the interesting one.  Newson is being recalled.  It's a double ballot: Vote 1 is whether Newsom should be recalled; Vote 2 is for a successor in case a majority on Vote 1 vote "yes."

Right now, the Democrats are holding firm and not putting up anybody on Vote 2.  That makes the voters choose between Newsom and a Republican, which in California is a good move.  But it's also a bit dangerous.  The "yes" vote is always more mobilized in a recall.  And there's a real chance that Newsom could be recalled in a low-turnout election, and then a Republican would be certain to win on the second vote.

Democrats did the opposite in 2003 with Gray Davis.  A bunch of Dems ran on Vote 2 in that recall, including Cruz Bustamonte, the Lt. Gov.  And in the final weeks of the election, as it looked increasingly like Davis might be recalled, Bustamonte really started campaigning hard.  And that sent the message that it was ok to vote yes to recall Davis, and probably sunk him.

It's just a really interesting game on that.

24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Just saw that in the NYT.

2022 is a big year.  California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Georgia all go to elect new Governors.  Geez, didn't quite realize that.  California is the least interesting of all those IMO.  Lot of things to eye in these races.

2022 seems like a big year but Newsom, Abbott, DeSantis and Cuomo will all win.

Georgia, who knows. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Virginia: Interesting blu-ish state because the incumbent can't run for re-election.  McAullffe sounds like he is going to run again, and he remains reasonably popular.  If the Democrats lose this, then there's a big problem.

New Jersey: Same deal--if the Democrats lose this, then they're going to have a big fucking problem in 2022.

California: This is the interesting one.  Newson is being recalled.  It's a double ballot: Vote 1 is whether Newsom should be recalled; Vote 2 is for a successor in case a majority on Vote 1 vote "yes."

Virginia and NJ are basically safe.  I just don't see it - Virginia is the state that has run the hardest away from the GOP in the past decade.

I actually think Newsom will survive the recall - a vocal minority wants him gone, but he's starting to track in polling with his last win.  Last thing I saw was 56% support keeping him

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

McConaughey has a chance.

I want Abbott gone too, but until I see something that tells me MM has a "chance" other than wishcasting, I do not believe it. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, Js1 said:

Virginia and NJ are basically safe.  I just don't see it - Virginia is the state that has run the hardest away from the GOP in the past decade.

I actually think Newsom will survive the recall - a vocal minority wants him gone, but he's starting to track in polling with his last win.  Last thing I saw was 56% support keeping him

Agree with this.  

Maryland news.  Dems really need a pickup here after the extremely popular Hogan, as Pub, won two terms.  But he's a never Trumper and guys like Michael Steele are making noise about running on the GOP side.

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

I just want Abbott, Patrick and Paxton GONE!!!!!!’ I think Bush will beat Paxton. That’s one down. 

Bush will beat Paxton.  But I'm not at all certain that he can win a general.  That Bush name is just toxic to the Trumpkins.  And I can see a lot of them refusing to vote in that race just on general principles.

• Like 1

The Texas Republican primary is the most consequential election cycle. Keep your eyes on it and read the tea leaves sheeple

A reverse Operation Chaos would bring a tear to my eye. To use as lube. To fuck Trump Republican turnout. Make it happen Allen West.

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 4/8/2021 at 9:03 AM, Js1 said:

2022 seems like a big year but Newsom, Abbott, DeSantis and Cuomo will all win.

Georgia, who knows. 

I agree on all but Cuomo.  I'm not sure he even runs and if he does he'll face a primary fight.  Of course the Giuliani talk is silly as whoever the Rs run will do good to break 35%.

Could you imagine the state of Georgia having marquee matchups of Vernon Jones and Abrams and Herschel Walker and Warnock in the same midterm?

GEORGIA of all places. 

Edited by Js1

• 3 weeks later...

Former R governor turned D congressman Charlie Crist is officially in against Ron DeSantis in Florida.  This dude:

R governor, 2007-2011 (did not run for re-election)
Ran for Senate as an independent in 2010 (came in second)
Ran for the House as a Democrat in 2016 - won in 2016, 2018, 2020

Would he be the first (?) person to win the governorship as both a D and a R, that didn't involve party switching while in office? 

Also he sucks - I'd rather Val Demings run against DeSantis.  

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Former R governor turned D congressman Charlie Crist is officially in against Ron DeSantis in Florida.  This dude:

R governor, 2007-2011 (did not run for re-election)
Ran for Senate as an independent in 2010 (came in second)
Ran for the House as a Democrat in 2016 - won in 2016, 2018, 2020

Would he be the first (?) person to win the governorship as both a D and a R, that didn't involve party switching while in office? 

Also he sucks - I'd rather Val Demings run against DeSantis.  

I don't like him, either.  But Charlie Crist does pretty well capture the entire Florida platzgeist.  I mean, look at this fucking guy:

Charlie Crist to make 'major announcement' in St. Pete on Tuesday | WFLA

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It’s really hard to imagine DeSantis losing.

Out of 8 million votes, he won by 33,000 in 2018.

It's not hard to imagine DeSantis losing.  Especially if the Trump family is trying to divide the GOP by going after Republicans they don't like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Out of 8 million votes, he won by 33,000 in 2018.
It's not hard to imagine DeSantis losing.  Especially if the Trump family is trying to divide the GOP by going after Republicans they don't like.

In the most pro Democratic environment in a decade. Now he’s got approval ratings solidly into the 50s and will have incumbency advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

Dems are putting up some formidable top of the ticket duos in important states.  

Confirmed:

• Hobbs/Kelly in AZ
  • Fried/Demings in FL (Fried, yes; Crist, no.  Fried is the only statewide Dem, who won in 2018 when all the rest lost and is the only one who has won statewide since 2012)
  • Whaley/Ryan in OH
  • Sisolak/Cortez Masto in NV

Likely:

• Abrams/Warnock in GA
  • Shapiro/Fetterman in PA

Others:

• ??/Hassan in NH
  • Evers/?? in WI
  • Rob Sands/Abby Finkenauer in IA

Reading this thread makes me so grateful for Roy Cooper here in NC. The difference between knowing your governor has your back in a crisis vs. what it feels like to live in Texas where the governor has been a moron for the last few decades is just a night and day difference. I'm probably going to pick my Senate primary candidate next year based on Cooper's endorsement, if he gives one.

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Reading this thread makes me so grateful for Roy Cooper here in NC. The difference between knowing your governor has your back in a crisis vs. what it feels like to live in Texas where the governor has been a moron for the last few decades is just a night and day difference. I'm probably going to pick my Senate primary candidate next year based on Cooper's endorsement, if he gives one.

But your LG, oh boy.  Giving Dan Patrick a run for his money on crazy stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

True. And our lege is just about as ignorant as you can get without actually inhaling industrial lubricants.

Well you also have one of the most terribly gerrymandered state houses in a state not named Wisconsin.

Wisconsin - Dems get 53% of the vote, but only have 36/99 seats

North Carolina - Dems get 50.5% of the vote, but only have 55/120 seats

Dems are putting up some formidable top of the ticket duos in important states.  
Confirmed:
  • Hobbs/Kelly in AZ
  • Fried/Demings in FL (Fried, yes; Crist, no.  Fried is the only statewide Dem, who won in 2018 when all the rest lost and is the only one who has won statewide since 2012)
  • Whaley/Ryan in OH
  • Sisolak/Cortez Masto in NV
Likely:
  • Abrams/Warnock in GA
  • Shapiro/Fetterman in PA
Others:
  • ??/Hassan in NH
  • Evers/?? in WI
  • Rob Sands/Abby Finkenauer in IA

It doesn’t matter who Ds run in AZ, FL, or GA. Writing is on the wall.

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It doesn’t matter who Ds run in AZ, FL, or GA. Writing is on the wall.

There’s a lot Dems can do in the time left before the ‘22 vote. That’s why I’m not understanding why Schumer is not running around screaming bloody murder. At the very least, he should immediately move to restore the talking filibuster and make the Republicans defend their intransigence on a number of bills. They should be required to talk without a break or risk a call to vote. 
That’s the minimum. My preferred option is to club Manchin and Sinema into submission.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Let's just not have 2022 elections.  We are doomed!  Just hand over the country today to the fascists.

That is some fucking defeatist attitude. 

They’re not defeatist, they’re just running out of positive attitude.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

That’s the minimum. My preferred option is to club Manchin and Sinema into submission.

If Manchin and Sinema were really they outliers they are made out to be, we'd already have the talking filibuster solution. Two arms out of 50 is not a lot to twist if the other 48 are unified.

I would guess there's a good ten or so other Dem senators who don't want a lot of change and are more than happy to let Manchema take the blame for obstruction.

Let's just not have 2022 elections.  We are doomed!  Just hand over the country today to the fascists.
That is some fucking defeatist attitude. 

Until Congress does anything, which it appears they won’t, I don’t see got you can honestly think a Democrat will be sworn in from these states

8 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Is it just me, or is Schumer one of the quietest Majority Leaders in recent memory?  Especially, given the state of the country and actions of the minority party.  

The nation is weary of loud-mouthed New Yorkers. Schumer knows how to read a room. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If Manchin and Sinema were really they outliers they are made out to be, we'd already have the talking filibuster solution. Two arms out of 50 is not a lot to twist if the other 48 are unified.

I would guess there's a good ten or so other Dem senators who don't want a lot of change and are more than happy to let Manchema take the blame for obstruction.

Well, call them out too and make them explain why the are helping Republicans sabotage Biden’s agenda.