Broken Irrigation Wire?

So I was digging a short line to lay some flex pipe from a down spout. I ended up running into some irrigation wires and am wondering if I really screwed something up. As a note, I do have a pool so I'm sure the pool guys reworked my irrigation. Do I just tie the 2 together? Any chance they're just 2 loose wires? See below567a9814ee5dde314b1639d6100e62fb.jpg

Go to Home Depot.  Get these and some electrical tape.  Most likely low-voltage.  Turn your irrigation system off and unplug the brain at the wall outlet.  You can do it. If it doesn't work, call a pro.
FH04JAU_WIRCON_05.JPG

Just so I understand correctly, tie the red and white wires at 5 o clock (in pic) together?

3 minutes ago, Spur08 said:
5 minutes ago, deadshank said:
Go to Home Depot.  Get these and some electrical tape.  Most likely low-voltage.  Turn your irrigation system off and unplug the brain at the wall outlet.  You can do it. If it doesn't work, call a pro.
FH04JAU_WIRCON_05.JPG

Just so I understand correctly, tie the red and white wires at 5 o clock (in pic) together?

It  appears those are  the two you cut (no smart ass intended).  I would say yes, put the red and the white together.  There are better armchair electricians than me on this board.  Some  are possibly degreed EEs that don't know jack but they could draw you a diagram  (maybe) and stall your project out for months.

• Haha 1

Sometimes when they cap whole zones and/or valves (I am assuming when they put in the pool), they cut the wires and leave it in the ground. I know... lazy... but it happens. If that’s the case it’s just “leftovers.” No hay problema. 

Make sure when you run the zones that each head pops up and is running. 

• Like 1

Can you look through that dirt and any dirt you moved and see if you can find the twist connector that may have come loose?  That it almost certainly low voltage unless you have powered lights/whatever around there.  You could check every sprinkler zone and make sure they are working.  I would probably reconnect with a twist connector, tape to secure and then grab a beer.

• Like 1

I've got to travel behind enemy lines today (OKC) but will be back at it tomorrow evening. Will report back with findings. I did not find a twist connect and did not strip the wires. I wasn't sure if they just hand twisted them together or not. I'm assuming not. It just seemed odd that out of 5000 sq feet of yard space, I find a spot of an extraneous connection

Irrigation wires are low-voltage.  Those wires are not. 
That's AC power dude.  
Those are irrigation wires. Probably for a zone that wasn't used. If all your zones come on don't worry about it. Red wires are for individual zone valves and the white is the common, so they won't be tied together except where they terminate at a valve.

Also, do not use regular wire nuts underground. You have to use the blue ones that have waterproof jizz packed inside.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I've got to travel behind enemy lines today (OKC) but will be back at it tomorrow evening. Will report back with findings. I did not find a twist connect and did not strip the wires. I wasn't sure if they just hand twisted them together or not. I'm assuming not. It just seemed odd that out of 5000 sq feet of yard space, I find a spot of an extraneous connection

Shit, you wouldn’t believe some of the stuff buried in my back yard.