2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

And Furd returns everyone except 1 of their MBs.  They are gonna make another run next season.

Nebraska loses it's heart and hardest worker in Foecke and are going to have to break in a new libero and Outside hitter.  Sun doesn't have the consistency to carry the team IMO....they won't make it back to the Final Four --- I'm calling it now!

Lexi Sun 7 kills, 6 errors, 33 total attack attempts, and .030 PCT. 

She's why Nebraska lost tonight. Unreal talent but she's inconsistent as hell. Agree with the above poster Nebraska will struggle without Foecke. Sun hasn't shown the ability to carry a team. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

She's why Nebraska lost tonight. Unreal talent but she's inconsistent as hell. 

I agree...talented as hell...but cracks under pressure...not the player you want leading your team...

11 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

....Texas gets a new assistant coach?

....Texas starts offering more scholarships to defensive players?

....Texas gets a new head coach?

Since the bottom one is obviously unlikely it is the first two. But I doubt that it happens because Elliott is just so comfortable with them.

During his pre-game match interview, the Illinois coach said he didn't have enough players to scrimmage each other...so all they focused on the spring and summer before his new players arrived were the fundamentals....serving, passing, and playing defense.  It'd be nice if Texas would do the same.

11 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I agree...talented as hell...but cracks under pressure...not the player you want leading your team...

So now that the season has ended what you think about Logan and Sun in terms of them as players and where they need to improve. I thought that Logan was great in the tournament.

Edited by Sandlot

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

She's why Nebraska lost tonight. Unreal talent but she's inconsistent as hell. Agree with the above poster Nebraska will struggle without Foecke. Sun hasn't shown the ability to carry a team. 

In fairness to her she is only a Sophomore.

23 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

So now that the season has ended what you think about Logan and Sun in terms of them as players and where they need to improve. I thought that Logan was great in the tournament.

For me, Logan appeared more focused on the court and played more consistent, even with the usual ups & downs as a freshman...but I think she likes the pressure of important matches and has the ability to carry the team like she did against BYU.  The players looked like they genuinely liked each other this year. 

I'm not so sure that was the case last year with Lexi -- rumors were that she wasn't a very hard worker and always had her helicopter dad around.  She also had more distractions living in Austin and was dating Mo Bamba at the time. 

Eggleston also graduated a year early from HS. I think Eggleston has more upside. 

Eggleston was definitely the better player at the end of year 1 when comparing her with Sun. Maybe that was just because Sun was checked out at Texas but it's not like Sun was dominant this year. Sun is a good player don't get me wrong but she hasn't lived up to her #1 ranking from her recruiting class. 

Sun would have been a bigger loss if Texas didn't reload with arguably the top 2 pins in the country these last two recruiting cycles. 

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Eggleston also graduated a year early from HS. I think Eggleston has more upside. 

Eggleston was definitely the better player at the end of year 1 when comparing her with Sun. Maybe that was just because Sun was checked out at Texas but it's not like Sun was dominant this year. Sun is a good player don't get me wrong but she hasn't lived up to her #1 ranking from her recruiting class. 

Sun would have been a bigger loss if Texas didn't reload with arguably the top 2 pins in the country these last two recruiting cycles. 

Sun is still very flustered by a block. Offensively she seems about the same level as last year. Her defense has improved and serve also. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• A roughly 40-drawer clear plastic storage container, a number of drawers labeled with names of current and former KU volleyball players and one player with the Lawrence Landsharks under-18 volleyball league. Each drawer with a name on it had underwear inside.

• Six plastic, stackable containers, each containing “several” pairs of women’s underwear.

• An ottoman and bags containing pink high heels, boots, a sundress and a jumpsuit that the victims reported had been taken from their homes. Also recovered were more underwear, bras, Halloween costumes, jewelry and sex toys “from unidentified owners.”

Hell, I’d buy him a beer. 

• 1 month later...

Texas took 4/5 from UNT last night. 

Logan had 18k, 7d, 3 aces

Caya had 17k, 14d but also 5 service errors

Butler had 12k and 4 blocks

O'Neal had 5k, 7d, 3 aces and 4 blocks

Orie had 8k and a block

Sydney and Autum both had 13 digs, Claire had 10

Looks like all 3 setters split time - Shook with 18 assists (and 3 kills and 2 blocks), Jhenna had 11 assists and Riley had 19 assists (and a block)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also on the US Women's Junior National Training Team is 2020 commit 6'2 OH Madison Williams.

With Elliott being named head coach of the team, it will be interesting to see if he takes all five of his Texas players to the World Championships.   The last time Jerritt was head coach of a USA team (2017 US Collegiate National Team), he was heavily criticized for all the Texas players making the roster (Chiaka, Micaya, Yaazie, and Morgan).

I think the locks for the 12 player roster are Logan, Skylar, and Molly.  

Sydney will have a difficult time getting on the roster if she doesn't improve her digging.

And Madison does not have the consistent passing/digging skills to make the final roster IMO.

On a side note, the competition for the starting MBs will be interesting to watch this fall. Brionne has been training with the Women's Senior National Team and will be one of the starters in the fall.  Molly has consistently been making the USA rosters, but Asjia was the #2 recruit in her class and has had a red-shirt year to develop. I wasn't too impressed with Asjia during the spring matches, but I also think a lot of it had to do with the revolving door of setters for each match.  I think it will all come down to who is the better blocker.

Edited by TexasDPT

On 5/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, Goodman said:

This will be the season our serving and defense look coached & developed...

I hope you're right, but my expectations are tempered after watching the spring matches.

Serving will be an adventure again with Micaya's jump serve and now with Logan doing one as well.  Autumn's consistently serves into the net, while Claire's make it into the court but are easy to pass. Shook just lollipops her serves over.  Sydney serves tough but tends to net just as equally.  Jhenna and Asjia are the only players I thought served tough for the most part.  Skylar and Molly have good serves, but sometimes those skills regress when they get to college...

Texas' first line of defense (blocking) should be improved.  Butler's blocking improved towards the end of last season, and the better blocker between Asjia & Molly will win the other MB spot IMO.  I think Skylar's blocking will be an upgrade on the right pin.  If Jhenna remains the starting setter, her blocking will become a liability against teams with the same caliber hitters as Texas.

That's why we need better floor defense behind Jhenna's block but that line-up won't change since Claire will be playing right back (subbed-in for Skylar), Autumn in middle back (subbed in for Logan), and Sydney at left back.  I can see Elliott trying to train Sydney to play middle back defense like he did Cat McCoy and then moving Autumn to left back (which I think she looks more comfortable defending).  Or he can switch Micaya and Logan in the rotation and have Micaya playing middle back while Jhenna is in the front row, but I wouldn't expect that happening unless Micaya's floor defense makes huge strides over the summer. 

A transfer Libero/DS over the summer would help the situation, but it would need to be someone with a lot of experience from a power conference...or a foreign transfer.  Elliott did bring in Luketic last summer out of nowhere, so it is possible.