2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

http://texassports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=391

New volleyball schedule. Goodness our non-conference schedule is loaded. 

I think Elliott learned his lesson from this year. RPI/SOS matters so he loaded the non-conference schedule. 

Yeeeouch. Well, we should get a real early idea how competitive the squad is at high levels of competition. 

I confess that I am a leetle scairt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Boom!  

And now we have our 6-rotation OH for the upcoming season... welcome Logan Eggleston!

Logan was originally a 2018 recruit, but started taking on-line courses in April to graduate high school this month.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/07/logan-eggleston-texas-longhorns-brentwood-volleyball/589141002/

Logan has been part of the USA Youth National Team the past 2 years and was the primary 6-rotation, ball-control OH.

Although she may not be the offensive threat that Lexi Sun provided, Logan will already be coming in with the ball control that Texas needs with its plethora of hitters.  She is a true 6 rotation OH and will start Day 1.

With Logan's arrival, Yaazie can now go back to her natural position on the right side and Brionne can stay at MB.   Micaya and Logan will play all 6 rotations and will open up the offense with their ability to attack from the back row.  And hopefully, we'll be able to see what Ashley can really do with better ball control if either of the new recruits can step in and perform like Cat McCoy did her Freshman year. 

The fall line-up should look like:

• OH1- Micaya
  • OH2- Logan
  • MB1 - Morgan
  • MB2- Brionne
  • Opp - Yaazie
  • Setter - Ashley
  • Libero - To be determined

• Like 2

Yep, Skylar is still committed for the ‘19 class along with 6’4 MB Molly Phillips. 

I meant to say that Logan Eggleston was part of the ‘19 class but is now part of the ‘18 class with Asjia O'Neal, Sydney Petersen, and Jhenna Gabriel. 

On 5/12/2018 at 2:14 PM, ruitxn said:

Bring Nebraska on now.

Nebraska wanted to open up the season against Texas in the Vert Challenge in Lincoln this year, but Elliott requested to play Florida and Oregon even though the home team has preference to which teams they would like to play. 

It may not be until Big 12 conference play before we see this team running on all cylinders since we will be breaking in a freshman OH (Logan), a RS-Fr MB (Brionne), and a new libero (anyone but Autumn). 

If we do play Nebraska next season, the strategy should be to target Sun on serve-receive and to hit at her if she is playing in the back row... I just don't think her ball control will improve that much even at Nebraska. 

7 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Nebraska wanted to open up the season against Texas in the Vert Challenge in Lincoln this year, but Elliott requested to play Florida and Oregon even though the home team has preference to which teams they would like to play. 

It may not be until Big 12 conference play before we see this team running on all cylinders since we will be breaking in a freshman OH (Logan), a RS-Fr MB (Brionne), and a new libero (anyone but Autumn). 

If we do play Nebraska next season, the strategy should be to target Sun on serve-receive and to hit at her if she is playing in the back row... I just don't think her ball control will improve that much even at Nebraska. 

I would be thrilled if our service game improved to the level of targeting anyone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought Elliot had requested we play Oregon and Florida in the early tournament. Dunno if the host school will give us what he wants. 

Playing 2 of Oregon/Florida/Nebraska and Stanford x2 is already a stacked preseason schedule. Woof. 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

When is that over? Will Logan be able to get to Austin in time to get settled and familiar with the team before August? 

She's already been with the team. Eggleston played with the team on the Europe trip earlier in the month. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sounds promising!!

We're gonna be much better than some people are projecting. Probably a rough start based on the non-conference schedule but adding Eggleston was a season changer. 

At the end of the year.....Eggleston, White and Yaz outside will be as good as anyone. With lots of talent in the middle with Johnson, Butler, and O'Neal. 

Not sure what the upside is until I see better ball control/service game but I think most are expecting a huge drop off at the pins and in the middle. That's not happening. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We're gonna be much better than some people are projecting. Probably a rough start based on the non-conference schedule but adding Eggleston was a season changer. 

At the end of the year.....Eggleston, White and Yaz outside will be as good as anyone. With lots of talent in the middle with Johnson, Butler, and O'Neal. 

Not sure what the upside is until I see better ball control/service game but I think most are expecting a huge drop off at the pins and in the middle. That's not happening. 

Sounds like it.  And there may be some addition by subtraction if some of the nastier rumors were to be believed.

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Damn. Cuba must have a good team to go 5 sets with the US. I guess that sport is up there with baseball for Cuban women

Total guess here but I think it has a lot to do with the fact the US is really young. The 3 Texas players I listed above were all in the '19 class but Eggleston ended up reclassifying to the '18 class. 

So it could very well be a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds playing in a U20 tournament. 

If they added some eligible U20 players from the college ranks we would probably dominate. 

The '19 roster could be: 

OH (Eggleston, Fields, White)

Middle (Butler, Abaji, O'Neal, and Phillips)

Just an unreal amount of talent. I haven't seen the '19 recruiting rankings but I think every one of these players is a top 5 recruit in their class. 

Edited by texasstrong12

If Logan didn't reclassify, the 2019 class would have definitely been ranked #1.

Molly Phillips will be a blocking machine...she will remind fans of Molly McCage.  Phillips has played every position in the front row and has even passed the ball in serve-receive in both HS/Club ball.  It will be interesting to see how she gets worked into the line-up with both Butler and O'Neal in front of her.  But I can see  Phillips red-shirting her freshman year (2019) and then having the options to play Butler, O'Neal, and Phillips at MBs/Opp in 2020.

Skylar Fields (aka Baby Destinee Hooker) will be a high-flying attacker/blocker on the pins.  I think she will slide into Yaazie's position on the right pin next year (since Micaya and Logan will be the left pin hitters).  Skylar looks more comfortable hitting on the LS, but she is developing nicely into an Opp with USA volleyball.

Both Skylar and Molly will both be coming in as good servers. 

Logan may eventually develop into one of the best 6-rotation players under Elliott.  If she has a weakness right now, I would say it is her blocking.  But we really do need her on the team this year. She's going to add the ball control and serving the team was missing last year IMO.  Team serving will also be upgraded with Jhenna and Sydney's serves.  I foresee Jhenna and Sydney playing ahead of Rounsaville and Hahn this season. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team play in the fall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

If Logan didn't reclassify, the 2019 class would have definitely been ranked #1.

Molly Phillips will be a blocking machine...she will remind fans of Molly McCage.  Phillips has played every position in the front row and has even passed the ball in serve-receive in both HS/Club ball.  It will be interesting to see how she gets worked into the line-up with both Butler and O'Neal in front of her.  But I can see  Phillips red-shirting her freshman year (2019) and then having the options to play Butler, O'Neal, and Phillips at MBs/Opp in 2020.

Skylar Fields (aka Baby Destinee Hooker) will be a high-flying attacker/blocker on the pins.  I think she will slide into Yaazie's position on the right pin next year (since Micaya and Logan will be the left pin hitters).  Skylar looks more comfortable hitting on the LS, but she is developing nicely into an Opp with USA volleyball.

Both Skylar and Molly will both be coming in as good servers. 

Logan may eventually develop into one of the best 6-rotation players under Elliott.  If she has a weakness right now, I would say it is her blocking.  But we really do need her on the team this year. She's going to add the ball control and serving the team was missing last year IMO.  Team serving will also be upgraded with Jhenna and Sydney's serves.  I foresee Jhenna and Sydney playing ahead of Rounsaville and Hahn this season. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team play in the fall.

Next year will be fun but in 2 years this team will be loaded. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Schedule highlights:

Florida 8.24 in Lincoln
Oregon 8.25 in Lincoln
@ Wisconsin 9.1
Kentucky 9.7
@ Stanford 9.11
Stanford 9.14
Baylor 9.26
ISU 10.6
@ KU 10.10
@ OU 10.13
@ ISU 10.24
OU 10.27
KU 11.10
@ Baylor 11.16

Preseason poll:

Texas (7)
Baylor (2)
ISU
KU
KSU
TCU
Tech
OU
WV

Feels off to me. I think the top 4 is fine, maybe flip ISU and KU. Think TCU will finish ahead of KSU. OU will probably finish last with a new coach.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow is the 2 week alert to the Orange & White Scrimmage.

Really excited to see Butler and Logan and Petersen.  Need to see better connections with all of the hitters from Shook.  And I want to see Micaya fucking boom the ball.  I hope they get this tipping shit out of her system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tomorrow is the 2 week alert to the Orange & White Scrimmage.

Really excited to see Butler and Logan and Petersen.  Need to see better connections with all of the hitters from Shook.  And I want to see Micaya fucking boom the ball.  I hope they get this tipping shit out of her system.

IIRC, Elliott encouraged some of the tipping as an alternative to just powering straight into blocks.  But it was ridiculous last year and I'm sure the setting misconnections were a big part.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

IIRC, Elliott encouraged some of the tipping as an alternative to just powering straight into blocks.  But it was ridiculous last year and I'm sure the setting misconnections were a big part.

I can get behind some tipping because Eckerman used it a lot too, especially if the block comes in hard.  But often times, it looked like she was either too scared to boom the ball against a weak or late block or the connection was off.  I'd like to see more hitting it as hard as possible and tooling the block.