2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

Considering early season and a lot of new faces, I thought we looked pretty decent.  It is, however, unclear how good is UO.  I suppose UF will be a bit more of a test.

It got better as the game progressed, but the block early on was slow and marginally effective.  Weird.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Awesome job!

Still a bit frustrated with Rounsville's serving. First point of the fourth match was a service error. Logan ended up serving for the rest of the set but it'd be foolish for Logan to serve the first point of every set and then get subbed out on serve receive- just wasting a sub.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Recovering from a back injury. Bringing her back slowly 

thanks.  I've done the google and been to the Nebraska website and no mention of it at all.  I guess she's not there at all.  the cocksucking commentators never even mentioned her name during the pregame, as if it wasn't a big deal at all or worth mentioning that she transferred there. 

I'm kind of wondering if Cat dug a lot of stuff and in the process made crappy passes.  Now it seems we aren't able to dig as much, but passing is better.  To an extent, it's pick your poison . . . .

And yeah, it appears that Florida is picking up right where they left off.  Will be quite a test tomorrow.

Edited by TwiceHorn

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Now it seems we aren't able to dig as much, but passing is better. 

Yeah, I kind of wondered if this is how things would play out. 

Cat was incredible at times from a defensive perspective but I don't think her passing was ever spectacular. I bet you end up being right. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't follow volleyball all that closely but what did Nebraska lose off last year's team? Florida is rolling them. 

We will have our hands full tomorrow. 

This non-conference schedule is going to be brutal. 

All American setter. It matters a lot. Look at us last year 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Luketic may end up being a better frosh than Lexi Sun was last year. Honestly, I don't miss Sun at all right now other than her good looks. Hopefully she doesn't destroys the positive locker-room culture/vibe at Nebraska....

• Like 1

The thing with Luketic is she has all that international experience with Croatia. She's not your normal freshman.

Much like the Canadians on the soccer team they've been playing high level volleyball/soccer for years now. I have no way to prove this but it certainly seems like international players in most of the women's sports are more ready to contribute than a lot of the US based players. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with the international experience with their national teams. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

I always feel international players have better fundamentals. Technically better at the game. Whereas a lot of US players just overpower with athleticism on the pins or in the middle (not including setters and Liberos there) 

• Like 1

Unless Thayer Hall's arm fell off last night after 60 attempts in the first match , Gata will be tough tough tough.

Baylor opened with a 3-1 win over LSU
Creighton took a 3-2 win over Kentucky
Marquette 3-0 over Texas State
Florida 3-1 over Corn
Wisky 3-0 over UNCheat

Actually what will be fun tomorrow -

PPC's cousin plays for Florida
Thayer Hall was the #1 in the 2018 class and Logan was probably going to be the de-facto #1 for 2019 had she not reclassified.

Logan had very comparable stats to Thayer last year, despite Logan only playing half a season while playing for Team USA and sitting out to rest. With a full season, she probably would have been #1 over Hall

Last year's match vs. Oregon vs. this year's:  (it was the 2nd match last year; 1st this year)

2017 - hit .209, 44 kills and 17 errors, 5 aces, 13 blocks; Lexi with 14, Chiaka 10, Ebony 7
2018 - hit .321, 58 kills and 14 errors, 5 aces, 8 blocks; Katarina with 14, Micaya with 13, Logan with 13

Micaya went from 6-4-34 (.059) to 13-3-42 (.238)
Morgan goes from 6-2-12 (.333) to 9-1-19 (.421)
We go from Lexi (14-5-39, .231) to Logan (13-3-25, .400) and much better RS production (Ebony: 7-2-24, .208 to Katarina: 14-5-27, .333)

Shook set us a shit ton better to a higher hitting % and had 12 more assists this year. 3 less service errors as well.

Maybe we won't block as well without SR Chiaka, but I'm already seeing good things.