The next Texas shooting

SmokeyTheBear

Didn't see this posted yet

Today's shooting resides here in Texas

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/08/us/bryan-texas-shooting/index.html

Police in Bryan, Texas, are searching for a suspect after six people were injured during a shooting at an industrial park on Thursday afternoon, according to Lt. Jason James of the Bryan Police Department.

The victims were taken to a local hospital, but James could not speak to the extent of their injuries in a brief interview with CNN Thursday afternoon. He could not say whether all the victims had suffered gunshot wounds.

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

Thursday evening shortly before 5 p.m. CDT, Bryan Chief of Police Eric Buske said a person who they believe to be an employee of Kent Moore Cabinets showed up at the company's headquarters and began shooting near the warehouse.

Suspect in custody...

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/several-people-injured-in-mass-shooting-in-bryan-shooter-at-large/2600682/

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

My cousin's husband and son both work at that cabinet company.  Trying to learn more without hounding them.  He was 40 feet away and spoke to the shooter before he started shooting.

my residence has cabinets, so this hits close to home

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good question.  The Atlanta and Boulder shooters are both being held without bail.  The Boulder shooter appears to be much more lethal with a weapon given his kill rate, including a police officer.  But the Atlanta shooter did not appear to be a massive threat to the public at-large.  The old mantra has always been "If they're crazy enough to kill a cop, they're crazy enough to do real damage to the general public."  And this Bryan guy did just that but he could be out on bond soon.  

The Atlanta shooter is the one who appears to be the last dangerous to citizens and he got no bail set immediately despite it being pretty obvious to the judge that his "bad day" was over,  The Boulder shooter had a judge at least stew on it for a few hours before making his decision.  But this Bryan shooter will probably be out of jail before the DPS State Trooper he tried to kill is out of critical condition.  

Seems weird.  But that's Texas for you.  Can you attach conditions to bail like, "If you are within 100 yards of a firearm during your bonded release, you will forfeit the bond and be immediately sent back to jail with increased charges?"   OR would that infringe on his constitutional rights? 

Edited by Lobo

Not just that there is a bond period, but only $1M? That’s $100k to a bondsman, and not out of the question for someone to come up with. Not possible for everyone obviously, but take a second on a house or something and it’s not out reach for more people than one would think. (Doesn’t mean they would, just that they potentially could.)

Shouldn’t be one to begin with, but $10M+ would seem more appropriate and pretty much be the same as none. 

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Seems weird.  But that's Texas for you.  Can you attach conditions to bail like, "If you are within 100 yards of a firearm during your bonded release, you will forfeit the bond and be immediately sent back to jail with increased charges?"   OR would that infringe on his constitutional rights? 

Not 100% sure on what all is possible, but there can be some conditionals at least. For example, having to turn in your passport or having to check in with someone similar to a parole officer. 

How far it can go down that rabbit hole I’m not sure. One of the resident lawyers can dial it in, but there may not be much of a reasonable limit? No possession/access to firearms on a shooting wouldn’t appear to be over the line at face value. 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

I thought maybe we could get that temporarily waived for a guy who shoots his friends at work and cops for fun.  Imagine what he does to people he doesn't like?  

Can you attach conditions to bail like, "If you are within 100 yards of a firearm during your bonded release, you will forfeit the bond and be immediately sent back to jail with increased charges?"   OR would that infringe on his constitutional rights? 

I think there can be all sorts of conditions. But they at least have to be physically possible. It would be pretty damn hard to remain more than 100 yards from a firearm. Technically, he violate it the second he bonded out due to cops nearby. I believe possessing a firearm while on bond is a violation though

59 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think there can be all sorts of conditions. But they at least have to be physically possible. It would be pretty damn hard to remain more than 100 yards from a firearm. Technically, he violate it the second he bonded out due to cops nearby. I believe possessing a firearm while on bond is a violation though

That’s pretty much my non-lawyer understanding. In the big picture they are allowing you to wade through the legal system outside of custody in exchange for certain conditions. The accused can choose to not accept the conditions, lawyer can haggle with the DA, etc. It’s not a violation as they are accepting the terms willingly. (Not that they wouldn’t have even less rights sitting around in jail instead.)

Similar to conditions of parole. If you want out early, here are the rules. Take it or leave it.

I’m still a bit surprised bail was offered at all, especially in a case like this. People accused of far less have been denied outright. Pretty strange deal going on. 

Do we have an over/under on how long before he takes himself out if he bonds out?

On 4/8/2021 at 11:52 PM, TexasEd said:

My cousin's husband and son both work at that cabinet company.  Trying to learn more without hounding them.  He was 40 feet away and spoke to the shooter before he started shooting.

So my cousin's husband has multiple roles there and one is HR.  Apparently he and another employee were the ones to do clean-up before they let employees back in so there wasn't more trauma when they came in to get their belongings.  Good grief. 

His son also works there and was a work friend of the victim who died.  Go to lunch and stuff.  Apparently the fatality victim was the main target and the rest of the people were collateral injuries. He was near the shooting when it happened but not right there.

• Hook 'Em 3