I know on TOS we had some posters that lived there.

Wife and I are more than likely moving in. We are house hunting out there this weekend but will probably be looking to build.

We considered this about 5 years ago but didn’t pull the trigger.

How much development has happened there in the last few years in terms of restaurants, grocery stores and traffic flow?

Any areas of homes or builders that should be avoided?

I’m assuming you mean Dallas burb? There’s at least one surly on here that lives there, I grew up there years ago.

It’s blown up in the last 5 years, and there’s tons of dirt turning every where you look today. There’s been some development on the comm side, mainly fast food/coffee shop type stuff and an actual restaurant. Still have to go rockwall, north Garland (stretching it), or Dallas for a night out.

Biggest issue in my mind beyond having to live next to Mesquite (sucks ass) is grocery store, having to drive across the lake or into Dallas for anything remotely high end. There is an heb going up in kaufman I think, but still a 20 min drive I’d guess.

Unless you have kids (schools are very good) or just want to be on that side of dfw I tend to think you could do better... it would probably cost more but so it goes.

• Like 1

I’m assuming you mean Dallas burb? There’s at least one surly on here that lives there, I grew up there years ago.

It’s blown up in the last 5 years, and there’s tons of dirt turning every where you look today. There’s been some development on the comm side, mainly fast food/coffee shop type stuff and an actual restaurant. Still have to go rockwall, north Garland (stretching it), or Dallas for a night out.

Biggest issue in my mind beyond having to live next to Mesquite (sucks ass) is grocery store, having to drive across the lake or into Dallas for anything remotely high end. There is an heb going up in kaufman I think, but still a 20 min drive I’d guess.

Unless you have kids (schools are very good) or just want to be on that side of dfw I tend to think you could do better... it would probably cost more but so it goes.

We have 2 kids in elementary. Our son was just placed in the RAP program in Richardson so schools are key.

Also looking for something smaller and not north of where we are now and outlaws live in Ferris.

What we would spend here to stay would get us a barely remodeled and smaller home, if we can find one, ~$500k
My work location isn’t a factor. I’m all over and am looking to acquire other locations. Wife works in DISD.

24 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We have 2 kids in elementary. Our son was just placed in the RAP program in Richardson so schools are key.

Also looking for something smaller and not north of where we are now and outlaws live in Ferris.

What we would spend here to stay would get us a barely remodeled and smaller home, if we can find one, ~$500k
My work location isn’t a factor. I’m all over and am looking to acquire other locations. Wife works in DISD.

Kind of interested in this.  Wife and I are looking to working retirement somewhere and entertain rural-ish locales, but as pointed out in the rural living thread, not quite sure we're fully up to rural life.  Sunnyvale seems like a place where you could get a decent-sized spread, an acre or two, a little away from it all, without the absence of amenities.

I'd also like to get my property tax burden down to the low five figures, or even four, as paying a small mortgage's worth of property tax doesn't seem like a good allocation of resources in retirement.

The QT and Panda Express are up and running.  Whataburger is framing and they are moving dirt on the new chick fil a.  They are also widening and paving Collins Rd.  All of this at the intersection of Collins and Hwy 80 (south).  It will be interesting to see what happens now that a few places are starting to be built on this land.  They have room for a grocery store but who knows if one will be built anytime soon.    

Schools are great!  Just remember that there are not as many options for advanced classes or AP classes in a small district.  

We drive to Dallas to eat and Forney for groceries.           

If I had my choice, I would find a house in the Harris neighborhood (other wise know as the "M" Streets) off Trip Rd.  Older homes, one acre lots.   Let me know if you need a Sunnyvale relator.  Trust me, in this market it would be beneficial to have someone on the inside of all the town scoop.  

On a side note, we have been in Sunnyvale long enough that I paid less than $100 sq ft for my house!!!!

Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Slight correction on the ‘m streets’, they are half acres, the sun streets adjacent are similar age but larger acre-ish lots. (And thank goodness bc push mowing an acre woulda sucked)

We will go look at the new builds being done by Beazer. I think they are part of Stoney Creek.
Is there even a bar anywhere?

We will go look at the new builds being done by Beazer. I think they are part of Stoney Creek.
Is there even a bar anywhere?

Kearneys feed yard is about it as far as I know. It was the old as hell landers/Kearney family feed store and then converted to restaurant/patio.

looking at the satellite imagery of Stoney creek gives me heartburn but that’s just childless bachelor me talking, mixed with nostalgia for the old ‘hood.

Stoney Creek is a huge development and they were just getting started when we moved to town.  I haven't seen an update on Lupton Farms in while (off Town East).  The last proposal to the P&Z did not go well.  Many people from the Homestead neighborhood voiced objections to the developers plans and they were shelved.  

Oddly enough, we have never been to Kearney's.  I love the town and the people but I also enjoy time away from the town and people.  That is what is good and bad about a small community.   

Bank Head Brewery in downtown Rowlett is not too far.  There are also places around White Rock Lake.      

• Like 1

Stoney Creek is a huge development and they were just getting started when we moved to town.  I haven't seen an update on Lupton Farms in while (off Town East).  The last proposal to the P&Z did not go well.  Many people from the Homestead neighborhood voiced objections to the developers plans and they were shelved.  
Oddly enough, we have never been to Kearney's.  I love the town and the people but I also enjoy time away from the town and people.  That is what is good and bad about a small community.   
Bank Head Brewery in downtown Rowlett is not too far.  There are also places around White Rock Lake.      

Ah Homestead. We looked in there about 4 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Bump for some help from those in the area. Builders are on a lengthy wait list and we are looking for a rental in the interim and prior to our kids school starting in the fall.

In the last 30 days there have been zero rentals on the market.  We have a line on one from a friend whose family has a vacant house there but if anyone in the area hears whispers about rental options, PM me. 

Thanks  

2 hours ago, bluto said:

For isd purposes only keep an eye on the neighborhood at the SW corner of belt line/town east as well as the couple of hoods south of 80. They all feed into the school.

we've got multiple realtors scouring for options and we are trying all avenues as well.  There is one, but we were warned the landlords were awful; recently taken to small claims from a prior renter and they are charging a huge premium.