R.I.P Prince Philip

Longboard Horn

19 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Steve Futterman of CBS News just said in a special report that Philip was the wife of Queen Elizabeth. Said it twice! I learned something today!

The Wife so Nice, she Fucked him Twice?  

Does Charles have any siblings?  Was the Prince Philip his dad?  I have no idea how this shit works.  

41 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Married to Q Liz for 73 years. 

Got damn that is a man of stone. Crazy long time, and she became queen after they’d been married only 5 years or so. Wild life, and that man witnessed and lived through some crazy times. 

Served at sea in the Royal Navy during WW2, so he was no shrinking violet.

If he'd just hung on a few months he would’ve received a telegram from his Mrs.

20 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Served at sea in the Royal Navy during WW2, so he was no shrinking violet.

If he'd just hung on a few months he would’ve received a telegram from his Mrs.

We tied up in Rosie Rhoads one time and happened to be across from a Royal ship. 

Went back and forth with some of the crew there and had a great time. Gave tours of each others ships, cut up a good bit. Lot of fun to see and also get to see the different standards of service and whatnot. It was really cool and great memories from it. 

16 minutes ago, msbesq said:

The kept man of all kept men.

Shit yes. What, 68 out of 73 years +/- as the Queens husband? Could have been a whole lot worse. 

There was a female British anchor talking on the news about it earlier. Said Liz’s family initially weren’t really enthused with Phil. Then she said it was because he “came from the wrong side of the tracks.”

Gave me pause for a second to make sure I heard that right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

We tied up in Rosie Rhoads one time and happened to be across from a Royal ship. 

Went back and forth with some of the crew there and had a great time. Gave tours of each others ships, cut up a good bit. Lot of fun to see and also get to see the different standards of service and whatnot. It was really cool and great memories from it. 

Roosevelt Roads was being prepared as a refuge anchorage for the Royal Navy in 1940, just in case Hitler managed to invade Great Britain successfully.

When we were stationed at Fort Brooke in San Juan (El Morro fortress to be more specific) in the early 1950s, we visited RR briefly and that’s how I learned the above bit of history.

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Roosevelt Roads was being prepared as a refuge anchorage for the Royal Navy in 1940, just in case Hitler managed to invade Great Britain successfully.

When we were stationed at Fort Brooke in San Juan (El Morro fortress to be more specific) in the early 1950s, we visited RR briefly and that’s how I learned the above bit of history.

Nice. We tied up in Old San Juan a few times. Had some great times. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

There was a female British anchor talking on the news about it earlier. Said Liz’s family initially weren’t really enthused with Phil. Then she said it was because he “came from the wrong side of the tracks.”

I saw some documentary when I lived in England and some Earl or Duke or something from a super "old" English family said his own family viewed Liz and the rest of the Royals as "frightfully middle class."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of his sisters and their husbands were Nazis.  

Greece Royalty, family exiled when he was one. Not sure about his siblings. But that doesn't make him one if so.

Interesting story, but really I find the hierarchy interesting from a historical standpoint.