R.I.P Prince Philip

Longboard Horn

It is true that his four sisters married German princes before the war and remained there.

His family had pretty much disintegrated by that time. Here is an interesting look at it:

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2017/12/185268/prince-philip-sister-cecile-nazi-the-crown-season-2

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

We tied up in Rosie Rhoads one time and happened to be across from a Royal ship. 

Went back and forth with some of the crew there and had a great time. Gave tours of each others ships, cut up a good bit. Lot of fun to see and also get to see the different standards of service and whatnot. It was really cool and great memories from it. 

Shit yes. What, 68 out of 73 years +/- as the Queens husband? Could have been a whole lot worse. 

There was a female British anchor talking on the news about it earlier. Said Liz’s family initially weren’t really enthused with Phil. Then she said it was because he “came from the wrong side of the tracks.”

Gave me pause for a second to make sure I heard that right. 

He was really German.  Battenberg.  Although the Battenbergs became loyal British subjects and war heros (Lord Mountbatten, the anglicization), the German side of the family, going back to Albert and to little Wilhelm, were viewed askance for quite some time.

As shown in The Crown, at one time the royal family name of Windsor-Mountbatten was contemplated, but was ultimately kiboshed I think mostly because of the German association and what a pain in the ass they'd been for a century or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I thought the same thing.

Because it irritates me that so many US citizens are infatuated with royalty,  which grows the number among us who lack the aversion to autocracy.

There's gossipy fascination and the historical fact that the royal houses of Europe are pretty fucking fascinating.

If you've ever read Dreadnought or the Guns of August, I don't see how you can't be kind of fascinated.  The first three seasons of the Crown were pretty interesting too.  Particularly since Edward's abdication, the current royals have kind of had the whole royalty thing foisted on them and it's actually an interesting human story, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's gossipy fascination and the historical fact that the royal houses of Europe are pretty fucking fascinating.

If you've ever read Dreadnought or the Guns of August, I don't see how you can't be kind of fascinated.  The first three seasons of the Crown were pretty interesting too.  Particularly since Edward's abdication, the current royals have kind of had the whole royalty thing foisted on them and it's actually an interesting human story, as well.

Barbara Tuchman is the best. 

Met Prince Philip in Ottawa in 1984. He did not try to fondle me. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

The Wife so Nice, she Fucked him Twice?  

Does Charles have any siblings?  Was the Prince Philip his dad?  I have no idea how this shit works.  

Seriously dude? This is a troll job right. How do you not know about this shit. Just having a wife or gf this info should have trickled down to you. Wonder how much longer HM the Queen survives after this. It’s pretty common for the surviving spouse of a long term marriage like this to pass not long afterwards.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Barbara Tuchman is the best. 

Met Prince Philip in Ottawa in 1984. He did not try to fondle me. 

I don't think Phillip is pervy.  Or very much.  It was his felicitously named Uncle Dickie that had that rep.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Seriously dude? This is a troll job right. How do you not know about this shit. Just having a wife or gf this info should have trickled down to you. Wonder how much longer HM the Queen survives after this. It’s pretty common for the surviving spouse of a long term marriage like this to pass not long afterwards.

And she will be missed. I am not a fan of the Royals, but HM presents us with a great story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My parents were married for 38 years when my mom died. Dad expected that he'd drop dead in the next week or so. Coming up on 14 years later, he's still shuffling around. We're both kind of surprised, TBH.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

And she will be missed. I am not a fan of the Royals, but HM presents us with a great story. 

She will definitely be missed - last of a dying breed who bought honor and duty to the Crown above their own selfish desires. I wish HRH Prince William and Kate were next in succession because the monarchy needs their vibrancy, class and assuredness in their role as next monarch in waiting. HRH Prince Charles and Camilla are not what the monarchy needs after the wreckage the succubus Meghan has wrought and the scandal of Epstein buddy Prince Andrew.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Agree about William. He has the class to be the next King. Charles is a dick. He should step out of the way. Andrew will be the fall of the family.

Harry has done some good things and I loved watching how he worked with the Ghurkas in Helmand Province. But yeah, he is a distraction the House of Windsor really does not need. My grandmother would have kicked my ass if I behaved like that. 

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I thought the same thing.

Because it irritates me that so many US citizens are infatuated with royalty,  which grows the number among us who lack the aversion to autocracy.

Constitutional monarchies like the UK are not the slippery slope to a future American autocracy. Wish we had a non-political head of state like HM the Queen beloved by her people. It would helps with social cohesion.

• Hook 'Em 4

Constitutional monarchies like the UK are not the slippery slope to a future American autocracy. Wish we had a non-political head of state like HM the Queen beloved by her people. It would helps with social cohesion.

We have Hollywood. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Yeah, that's assuming there is an emotional connection between husband and wife. 

From what I can tell, emotions are a scarce commodity in the royal family.

31 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

If you were a real American you'd know our most important right is the right to give absolutely zero fucks about the British monarchy.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree about William. He has the class to be the next King. Charles is a dick. He should step out of the way. Andrew will be the fall of the family.

Harry has done some good things and I loved watching how he worked with the Ghurkas in Helmand Province. But yeah, he is a distraction the House of Windsor really does not need. My grandmother would have kicked my ass if I behaved like that. 

Meghan and Harry’s grift based on his royal lineage is the greatest threat to the monarchy since the abdication of Edward VIII. The reason the Crown and the senior members of royal family have their privileges is because they’re expected to devote their lives to service. Meghan from her American perspective viewed Harry’s status to be no different than regular celebrity. If the royal family becomes a self-centered, fancier version of the Kardashians, it deserves to die. I find it interesting the 2 greatest threats stem from marriages to Americans. As much as I dislike Meghan, she at least isn’t a Nazi sympathizing scumbag.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 5

34 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Wonder how much longer HM the Queen survives after this. It’s pretty common for the surviving spouse of a long term marriage like this to pass not long afterwards.

She'll die because she's older than dirt, not because of Prince Phillip.  He's been a royal pain in her royal ass for three-quarters of a century.

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

How many caves did he hit up every night? 

One afternoon he wheeled himself down to a lady friend’s room for a visit. Upon entering her room, Dad observed another old gent had got there before him and was on top of the woman getting down to business.

When we asked Dad what did he do then, he replied “I left my card and backed out of her room quietly”.

He did not say if he went to his 2nd stringer.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hate said:

RIP Phil...While I won't watch much of it, I do enjoy the pomp and circumstance surrounding these high profile funerals similarly to a US President.

Doesn’t appear that there will be any. No big hurrah, no lying in State. Philip didn’t want all that, so they aren’t. Sounded like a small private service at Windsor, most likely family only. Maybe very close friends. Not sure about media coverage, but didn’t sound like there would be of at least the service. Can’t really stop before/after, but I guess we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

He was really German.  Battenberg.  Although the Battenbergs became loyal British subjects and war heros (Lord Mountbatten, the anglicization), the German side of the family, going back to Albert and to little Wilhelm, were viewed askance for quite some time.

As shown in The Crown, at one time the royal family name of Windsor-Mountbatten was contemplated, but was ultimately kiboshed I think mostly because of the German association and what a pain in the ass they'd been for a century or so.

Well they changed their name to Windsor from Krauty-HerrKrautzberger or something like that, so going back seems kind of out of the question.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

She'll die because she's older than dirt, not because of Prince Phillip.  He's been a royal pain in her royal ass for three-quarters of a century.

Are you implying that the queen gives up the pooper?

48 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

That's what we have Dolly Parton for.

31 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Meghan and Harry’s grift based on his royal lineage is the greatest threat to the monarchy since the abdication of Edward VIII. The reason the Crown and the senior members of royal family have their privileges is because they’re expected to devote their lives to service. Meghan from her American perspective viewed Harry’s status to be no different than regular celebrity. If the royal family becomes a self-centered, fancier version of the Kardashians, it deserves to die. I find it interesting the 2 greatest threats stem from marriages to Americans. As much as I dislike Meghan, she at least isn’t a Nazi sympathizing scumbag.

Wait, we're talking about Philip here, right? It's hard trying to keep all the Nazi sympathizing scumbags straight.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

No, wife and I both looked at each other when we saw it on the news this morning while getting the kids ready for school.  "So is he the dad of Prince Charles but also a Prince?"  Our knowledge of the British Monarchy doesn't come from history books, Netflix series, or televised royal weddings.  95% of it comes from Eddie Izzard.  

I think it's best for our Allies across the pond that any Royal over 85 years of age die painlessly and immediately.  

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This may be too edgy for here 

01D7FB7D-3B78-483D-AB92-0826C7701EF6.jpeg

Keep her away from the chamber boy or next thing you know some bastard grandson will be landing in Wales with an army of mercenaries ... #tudors

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just glad Jessica Walter went several weeks ago so she should won't get lumped in with these two.  What's the deadline for the third in this trio?  A week?

also, is Queen Elizabeth even cognitively with it at age 94?  Does she even know he's dead or does her hatred of people whiter than her and Edgar Winter keep her fresh and sharp?