Cops pepper spray and beat uniformed Black army officer over routine traffic stop.

cattail

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ll go ahead and say it. Far too many ex military in law enforcement. 

There is a natural tangential side-step, but I think a bigger problem is the lack of good blue collar jobs in America. God help this country when we automate long haul truck driving.

However, I have also heard that as baby-boomers are retiring many apprenticeship jobs, like HVAC and plumbing, will be in desperate need of replacement.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think that overzealous cops are limited to those that are prior military.  In fact, I'd say that most of them are cops that never served in the military yet think that they are fighting a "war".

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I don't think that overzealous cops are limited to those that are prior military.  In fact, I'd say that most of them are cops that never served in the military yet think that they are fighting a "war".

This.  The toy, pretend soldiers often have a much more warped approach than the real veterans.  Hell, most real combat vets are used to operating under rules of engagement that would have had them court martialed if they pulled the kind of shit some of these cops are pulling.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

While I agree with the basic sentiment, I don't think there's anything necessarily fundamentally wrong with ex-military as police.  It's the KIND of ex-military they get/attract that is the problem.

I honestly didn't think it was possible for anyone to stretch this one into "both sides acted poorly" but here we are. There is literally nothing a cop can do that will draw any criticism from some certain people. This shit will never change because it only affects a minority of people. 

• Rage+1 2

Just now, 'stache said:

I honestly didn't think it was possible for anyone to stretch this one into "both sides acted poorly" but here we are. There is literally nothing a cop can do that will draw any criticism from some certain people. This shit will never change because it only affects a minority of people. 

You get it.  Civilian with guns pointed at him has to behave perfectly (and, spoiler: when given conflicting instructions, he will be criticized for following A instead of B, or B instead of A -- meaning it's impossible for him to get a passing grade).  Failure to behave perfectly excuses the cop's conduct.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

To be completely honest, I used to be one of those people.  The last few years, seeing how militarized our police have become, has opened my eyes to a completely different perspective.  While there are some of these types of videos that make me question the motives and actions of the people being stopped, this is certainly not one of them.  Actually, there are very few of them anymore that lead me to think that the police are in the right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This video was so egregious it got my lily white, upper middle class evangelical SIL to post it on her Facebook page & scream "enough!" When you've lost the conservative housewives of Spring who pose for photos with Dan Crenshaw (no pics and no CR) you've got issues. Although if pressed I'm sure the only reason this registered on her radar was due to the fact the victim is active duty.

As far as the fired cop goes, his union will automatically appeal the firing. He's probably already fielding inquiries from departments in Burnet, Kimble & Hays County who like the cut of his jib.

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You get it.  Civilian with guns pointed at him has to behave perfectly (and, spoiler: when given conflicting instructions, he will be criticized for following A instead of B, or B instead of A -- meaning it's impossible for him to get a passing grade).  Failure to behave perfectly excuses the cop's conduct.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyone who has seen the Arizona video would be scared shitless to do what the cops tell them to do.

Cops really need to holster their damn weapons. I don't think anyone really wants to shoot a cop. Yes, it happens, but for crying out loud keep it in your damn pants until absolutely necessary. It works both ways - a cop approaching even a suspicious vehicle both with caution but a presumption of innocence and de-escalation seems too obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, Neonmoon said:

Did anyone else hear the dispatcher say it was a felony traffic stop? Why is a traffic stop a felony? 

Classic case of pussy cops freaking out over their authority not being followed. There are a ton of good cops out there who are good at calm De escalation. I’ve seen many videos of them dealing with crazy sovereign citizen types. This guy was stopped and he didn’t know why, and he was asking for a explanation, especially after they asked him to get out of the car, which is extremely unusual for a traffic stop, and considering the national story of cops murdering blacks, I think that would make him reasonable scared to not want to do that. So instead of taking that in consideration, the pussy cop had to freak out and power trip. 

Well, in every one of those videos, the crazy sovereign citizen nut is white.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is a somewhat surprising and positive response from a PD in a podunk town in the South.

It seems that some of the protesting and attention has actually brought about some change.

They only waited four months to do anything about it, and that's only because the video became public.

The cops will not do anything to restrain their thugs unless there's overwhelming public outcry, and so they just prevent the public from knowing what's happening for as long as they can.

• Hook 'Em 7

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s not the “union” part of cop unions that makes them bad, it’s the “cop” part. 

The police unions are a significant part of the problem. (John Oliver segment from June of last year.  If you haven't watched it, I'd recommend you do so.)

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched a bunch of bodycam police shooting videos this past weekend and frankly, the bad guy got exactly what he deserved about 90% of the time.  This video sickens me.  Those fucking cops should never be able to wear the badge again, but we know they will.  At least they didn't kill him.

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

I watched a bunch of bodycam police shooting videos this past weekend and frankly, the bad guy got exactly what he deserved about 90% of the time.  This video sickens me.  Those fucking cops should never be able to wear the badge again, but we know they will.  At least they didn't kill him.

oh, let's be clear....every time one of these happens, my thought is "please, please let it be a good shoot."  Plenty are, no question.  But God, the ones that aren't....they're often awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

The local FOP chair died this summer of COVID. He was a piece of shit who loudly objected to any type of reform or oversight, justified literally every cop accused of excessive force and murder (including the bitch who killed Terrance Crutcher). Worse, he was very vocal abou blaming every complaint on BLM calling them terrorists and shit like that. This weekend, the city added him to a memorial of cops who have died in the line of duty, even though it was COVID that killed him and he was a "plandemic" antimask asshole. The message was a clear fuck you to every black person and advocate for police reform in the city. So yeah, fuck them, they are a massive part of the problem, and elected politicians refuse to stand up to them.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The local FOP chair died this summer of COVID. He was a piece of shit who loudly objected to any type of reform or oversight, justified literally every cop accused of excessive force and murder (including the bitch who killed Terrance Crutcher). Worse, he was very vocal abou blaming every complaint on BLM calling them terrorists and shit like that. This weekend, the city added him to a memorial of cops who have died in the line of duty, even though it was COVID that killed him and he was a "plandemic" antimask asshole. The message was a clear fuck you to every black person and advocate for police reform in the city. So yeah, fuck them, they are a massive part of the problem, and elected politicians refuse to stand up to them.

Police, their unions, and their interest groups are fucking cancer on this country. They protect predators and violent people from facing oversight and consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There needs to be a separate entity created that polices the police.  This is insane.  In my field or any field, if I even so much as forget to get a fucking signature for a consent, I pay consequences and my license to practice is in jeopardy.  These morons can go around fucking tazing and shooting people, yet there are no damn consequences.  Why was the police officer so aggressive and cussing?  I would have been fired at every job immediately had I behaved that way, even if it was provoked.  Yet this is acceptable in the police department?  Cops need to be the ones under control and the ones that need to maintain their composure.  Props to that civilian who remained calm.  It's time we bump the cops salary to 6 figures and only hire people that meet the criteria to be a cop.  And when they fuck up, they should be charged and sentenced to the same assault crimes that civilians face.  Why the hell is this so hard?  

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They only waited four months to do anything about it, and that's only because the video became public.

The cops will not do anything to restrain their thugs unless there's overwhelming public outcry, and so they just prevent the public from knowing what's happening for as long as they can.

This.  The thugs acted this way, knowing that their actions were being caught on camera.  They knew there would be no consequences.  And they're only facing consequences now because of public outcry.  Had the guy who was pulled over not been active duty military, making him a "perfect plaintiff" in a 1983 action and increasing public awareness, they 1000% would still be on the job.  I guarantee this was not the first time they treated a member of the public like this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This.  The thugs acted this way, knowing that their actions were being caught on camera.  They knew there would be no consequences.  And they're only facing consequences now because of public outcry.  Had the guy who was pulled over not been active duty military, making him a "perfect plaintiff" in a 1983 action and increasing public awareness, they 1000% would still be on the job.  I guarantee this was not the first time they treated a member of the public like this.

yup... this guy should be thankful he was wearing a uniform.  Had he been in civilians clothes, I have no doubt that cop would have shot him.  He fucking maced him as the guy was sitting with his hands up simply asking the cops to calm down and to talk to him about why he was being pulled over.  Had those fuckers just asked him where his license plate was, this could have all been avoided. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I also want to add this gem from the article announcing this prestigious honor.

"Before Johnson and Lindsey, the last time the Tulsa Police Department experienced a loss was in '96. Dick Hobson was shot and killed while chasing an armed robber."

Johnson was killed last year by a meth head (yes, he was white) during a traffic stop, and there was legitimate concerns about unnecessary escalation by the responding officers, including the dead one. One fucking cop murdered, in 25 fucking years. But they shoot and kill under the justification of "fearing for their lives" and "just want to get home alive." Especially from those scary minorities (or as Crutcher's murders called him "a scary dude" or something like that) who just wont comply!!! It's a fucking goddamned joke. 

And I just looked it up, Hobson was also killed by a white guy with a shotgun.

Edited by 'stache
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, victory88 said:

There needs to be a separate entity created that polices the police.  This is insane.  In my field or any field, if I even so much as forget to get a fucking signature for a consent, I pay consequences and my license to practice is in jeopardy.  These morons can go around fucking tazing and shooting people, yet there are no damn consequences.  

Oh there are consequences - the taxpayers will have to pay out millions of dollars to the families of the cop's victims.

Which is another really crazy thing. I've been in the Army and I've worked at plenty of companies, and even as a freelancer, where if I fuck up, there are severe consequences ranging from prison and a dishonorable discharge (Army) to being on the hook financially.

But as a cop, they can kill somebody and far too often/most of the time, the taxpayers get to pay for it.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, fattyflattie said:

Infuriating.  Thank GOD he had the ability to control himself through all of that.  Hope the officers get fucked (they wont).  

The kid cop actually seemed to what to de-escalate.  Now Mr. Respect My AUTHORATAH!, "YOU SHOULD BE SCARED!" needs to be arrested, be hit with multiple felonies, and never be allowed back into the LEO profession again.  Ever.  

Fuck you asshole.  You are the reason some people cheer when other members of your "club" get waxed.

Fuck you and fuck you good.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot on.  It's 100% part of the Hero strategy.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

There needs to be a separate entity created that polices the police.  This is insane.  In my field or any field, if I even so much as forget to get a fucking signature for a consent, I pay consequences and my license to practice is in jeopardy.  These morons can go around fucking tazing and shooting people, yet there are no damn consequences.  Why was the police officer so aggressive and cussing?  I would have been fired at every job immediately had I behaved that way, even if it was provoked.  Yet this is acceptable in the police department?  Cops need to be the ones under control and the ones that need to maintain their composure.  Props to that civilian who remained calm.  It's time we bump the cops salary to 6 figures and only hire people that meet the criteria to be a cop.  And when they fuck up, they should be charged and sentenced to the same assault crimes that civilians face.  Why the hell is this so hard?  

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
- Juvenal, Satires, ~101 C.E.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, Captainant said:

The officers shouted conflicting orders at Nazario, telling him to put his hands out the window while also telling him to open the door and get out, the lawsuit says.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Anyone who has seen the Arizona video would be scared shitless to do what the cops tell them to do.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, Message Board User said:

Driver says "I'm afraid to get out of the car" and crazy cop says "yeah you should be." 

And they still expect him to get out of the car?  🤪

On 4/9/2021 at 10:57 PM, Baconboy said:

This is a really shitty take. He's getting conflicting commands telling him to first put his hands outside of the car and to then get out of the car, all while the guy has two guns pointed at him for no reason. You're asking him to process conflicting commands and come up with a solution on how to accomplish both at the same time, while all he can probably think about is not getting shot. 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:03 AM, achooloco said:

To be fair, you can have your hands out of the car and open the door to get out. It’s awkward as hell but certainly possible; also doesn’t exclude the shitty ass cops in this situation. Just wanted to point out that the commands aren’t exactly conflicting. Confusing for some, sure, but not strictly conflicting so that’s just bad reporting (sadly par for the course of today’s journalism)

edit: forgot he had his seatbelt on, that would be conflicting orders but yeah, no doubt he’d be shot if he reached in without warning and even if he said he was going to undue his seatbelt, I’d put it at over 50% he’d be shot. Still stand by fact that it is shitty reporting though. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I like the idea that as part of his plan to evade arrest and to possibly kill the officers, he pulled into a well lit gas station with people and probably security footage. Seems like a pretty crappy cop killer since his chances of doing such would be much greater if he had pulled over in the dark with nobody else around.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh there are consequences - the taxpayers will have to pay out millions of dollars to the families of the cop's victims.

Unfortunately, this doesn't usually happen. Very often there is essentially no liability (sovereign immunity) and therefore no incentive to pay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Unfortunately, this doesn't usually happen. Very often there is essentially no liability (sovereign immunity) and therefore no incentive to pay. 

Yep, it depends some on state law, but a lot of these settlements are pretty much voluntary, at least as to what could be recovered in a federal civil rights case (1983), which is the typical vehicle in Texas, where cops enjoy almost complete immunity under state law.  Some states have specific civil torts that cops can be liable for and immunity is waived as to those claims (but the claims have some immunity-type defenses built in, usually, that make it difficult to win on, or limit damages).

tl;dr it's hard to win a civil suit against a cop in most places, and even harder to put their employers/the city on the hook for the judgment.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

This situation was escalated when the cops came out screaming and with guns drawn.  The cop never lowered his tone and spoke.  He screamed the entire time.  I'd be scared shitless too.

Yeah, there are a lot of jobs where de-escalation is an essential tool to have in your emotional tool belt, and law enforcement is #1 on that list.  

The tension and anxiety of that otherwise-routine traffic stop was 100% created by the police, and 0% by the lieutenant sitting inside his vehicle with his hands out the driver's window.  If a cop is going to point his weapon, give conflicting commands, scream with a shaky, adrenaline-affected voice... and he's doing all this simply because a car pulled to a well-lit area at night, then he is 100% unfit for that profession.  

... and I'd also point out that all that unnecessary escalation happened *before* it was compounded by the cowardly sarcastic comments intended to belittle the subject ("I know how to obey an order," etc.), the pepper spray(!!), and the totally unnecessary take-down after the lieutenant got out of his car.

Edited by Paul Wesley

On 4/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to hit your hazards if you’re getting pulled over. At least you’re acknowledging the cops are behind you and you’re going to drive to a parking lot or under lights for everybody’s safety.

Pepper spray someone directly to the face who’s clearly not drugged up or threatening is uncalled for.

No ifs, ands or buts. Every good cop just face palmed the shit out of themselves after watching that

On the news this morning they reported this is exactly what he did. Put on his hazards and drove for less than two minutes until he found a well lit area to pull over.