Root Beer

RPM

Unless search f'd me we don't have a root beer thread. Going way back in the day (1960's) my favorites were Dad's or Frostie. One of those with a cheeseburger... nirvana.

I've tried the new "spiked" root beers and they are shit.

There was a place in Denton that made their own root beer, Sandy's. It was awesome. Had a few A&W locations scattered about North Texas, but quality was an issue.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Unless search f'd me we don't have a root beer thread. Going way back in the day (1960's) my favorites were Dad's or Frostie. One of those with a cheeseburger... nirvana.
There was a place in Denton that made their own root beer, Sandy's. It was awesome. Had a few A&W locations scattered about North Texas, but quality was an issue.

Is this a rant or did I miss the question?
  • Haha 1

Love an ice cold root beer, and I loved root beer floats as a kid, but haven't had one in a while.......root beer floats that is.

They're all pretty good. The craft ones can be hit or miss.

I remember kool aid offered root beer kool aid. Tasted like flat Kool aid, no Bueno.

Getting an A&W at an A&W with the glass mug when I was a kid was nirvana for me.

Liked Frosty's growing up.  IBC is what I am likely to buy these days.  I might have to give Maine Root Beer shot though.

BJ's has a dang good root beer offering IMO.  It has a nice little cream soda after taste.  They offer a Cream soda as well.

• Like 1

Don't know if this is available stateside. But this is what we keep stocked now as it's the best American style one available:

Tropical Sun Root Beer 330 ml (Pack of 24): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

They have an Australian one here:

Bundaberg Root Beer 4x375ml | Sainsbury's

That stuff is undrinkable to me and my heavily influenced young'uns. But it seems to be selling I guess or else they wouldn't keep it on the shelves.

There is another American style:

Carters Root Beer 4x6x330ml - Can - 24x330ml - UK Food Wholesaler - Creed  Foodservice

It's fine, but just doesn't quite have the proper kick that an A&W/Barqs/Dad's root beer has.

Dad's Root Beer 355ml can(Hard to get here)

Edited by ouflak
  • Rage+1 1

Frostie was the bomb. We used to go to A&W drive-ins where you’d park, place your order, then they brought your food out on a tray that hung on your partially lowered window. Never been to one where the waitresses were on roller skates. That would’ve been awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hahaha that Bundaberg stuff is fucking garbage. Disgusting.

About 20 years ago I ordered a root beer sampler from a place online. Maybe Pop the Soda Shop? Anyways, there was a bottle of bundaberg and I couldn’t even make it 5 sips.

I haven’t had a Boylans in awhile, but I recall it being pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, RPM said:

While attending NTSU in the 70's, it was a regular stop on University Drive. The root beer was excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, RPM said:

Agreed on not enjoying the alcoholic rootbeers and cream sodas.

I like Saint Arnold's, Dad's, and since I mostly drink diet soda, the A&W Diet Root beer is freaking awesome within that realm of offerings.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:58 PM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Getting an A&W at an A&W with the glass mug when I was a kid was nirvana for me.

Liked Frosty's growing up.  IBC is what I am likely to buy these days.  I might have to give Maine Root Beer shot though.

BJ's has a dang good root beer offering IMO.  It has a nice little cream soda after taste.  They offer a Cream soda as well.

Yep.  My boys figured that out very quickly and it has since been their go-to. they make a cream soda and cherry cola, but the root beer is best.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:48 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, Abita is good shit.

I like Sprecher, too.

I got a Sprecher a couple of weeks ago. Not bad at all.

IBC was the first indy root beer I had as a kid when my dad took us on vacation. You couldn't find it in Texas. A&W, Hires, Dad's, and Barq's were widely available and paled in comparison. 

St. Arnold's is good stuff too.

Had virgils tonight, not horrible but very meatyokur, tasted like a cough syrup somewhat. Got an abita waiting on me next to cleanse the palate tomorrow. Big thing for me on RB is most are caffeine free too, stuff effs my sleep.

My frugal german grandmother always had a bottle of root beer concentrate.  She'd mix with water and pour over ice.  It wasn't very good, but on a hot summer day it wasn't turned down either.  She never had sodas of any type in the house, that was as close as she'd get.  It was considered a treat.   

What was the name of that Happy Days type diner chain in San Antonio in the 90s that had their own RB?  Rudy's Root Beer?   That stuff rivaled A&W with the cold frosty mug.

IBC and Stewart’s are probably my favorite, but nothing wrong with A&W. Barq’s is by far my least favorite.

When my son was a little younger he kept telling me he wanted a Bangs. Finally figured out he couldn’t read the cursive label of Bargs and it looked like an N to him. We still call it Bangs as an inside joke now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I grabbed some from Central Market recently.

The Australian one was way different. Tons of layers of flavors but didn’t have that root beer finish. The finish was fairly bitter. My son gave it a 4 out of 10. I didn’t care for it either.

The Dublin one was classic root beer that we all love. Pretty sweet finish. He gave it 8/10.

79572e0b81e850c90d5f932547371ec5.jpg
592fc4dc27053a23c6f12d96b75b7054.jpg