BBQ Crabs

6 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

In the triangle you clean them a little bit first—rip off eyes, top shell and clean out gills and lungs with cold water. Take out reproductive organs, and then rip them in half. Some people kind of precrack the claws too. Then dredge in zestful seasoning and deep fry. You have cayenne pepper in your cuticles for days.

Well ... that’s one I haven’t tried.

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’ve lived within 50 miles of Chesapeake Bay for 51 years, within a couple of miles the last 30.  I imagine I’ve eaten crabs every possible way there is ... soft shell is my favorite, hands down.  Prefer mine fried in peanut oil after dredging in egg and seasoned flour with a touch of panko or corn starch.

Crab cakes are second, if somebody else does the pickin’ ...

I worked on the water during the summers with my grandfather.  Mostly trot lines.  My other grandmother used to pick crabs so I never had to do the picking.  I was spoiled.  Too many places around where I grew up where you could get fresh crab meat.  No need to do it yourself.  I really like claw meat and my favorite is crap dip.  

Planning to head back up to the ES in a few weeks to see my parents who are now fully vaccinated.  I am going to eat a lot of crabs.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, harpercollins said:

In the triangle you clean them a little bit first—rip off eyes, top shell and clean out gills and lungs with cold water. Take out reproductive organs, and then rip them in half. Some people kind of precrack the claws too. Then dredge in zestful seasoning and deep fry. You have cayenne pepper in your cuticles for days.

This. I can't imagine doing this with whole crabs. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Why arent these more ubiquitous? Had a dozen at Reel Cajun in PA yesterday on the way to Sea Rim... one of the best things ive ever eaten

7563a49cb890d08673e2fdae883431ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to look these up b/c those are not the BBQ crabs of my youth.  Found the restaurant's website and it references a "batter".  While I'm sure they were quite good, that's a divergence from the classic.  That almost looks like it has some asian flair to it.  I've seen shrimp done the same way still in the shell.

I'd eat a mess of them for sure, but someone took some liberties with the description or the recipe.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

I had to look these up b/c those are not the BBQ crabs of my youth.  Found the restaurant's website and it references a "batter".  While I'm sure they were quite good, that's a divergence from the classic.  That almost looks like it has some asian flair to it.  I've seen shrimp done the same way still in the shell.

I'd eat a mess of them for sure, but someone took some liberties with the description or the recipe.

Yeah -- the batter is more than you get at Sartins or any similar place.  They look like these:

1028Sartins-BBQ-Crabs-Port-Arthur-Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Walser said:

Is Sartin's closed?

I worked with a guy from the family at my last job. Seems to be some drama in the news that I had no idea about. 

The original in Sabine Pass is closed but there are a couple of locations with various owners around SE Texas. There has been plenty of family drama. 
https://setexasrecord.com/stories/510609785-sartin-s-in-dispute-with-new-restaurants-using-family-name

• Hook 'Em 1

That is wild. My mother went to high school with Janis Joplin and we sold the last family property in Groves a couple years ago after my grandmother died. My co-worker told me about his family business a few years ago but we never talked about it again. We went into quarantine 6 months later.

I think Kelli might be his sister. Age lines up and first name also starts with K. Just spitballin' though.

Thanks, OP for this thread and inspiring to try something new, and Anastasis for the link with a ton of info.  

couldn't find any of the pre-made mixes, but in reading the ingredients listed in the link, I decided some Chachere's and sugar would be close enough for a first pass.  then I decided messing with crab was too much work, so I picked up a tuna steak at heb, marinated it in diluted liquid smoke per one of the options, seasoned it and seared it, and gave it another light dusting before slicigg it and throwing it over a ceasar salad.  made for a damn good lunch, today.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Walser said:

That is wild. My mother went to high school with Janis Joplin and we sold the last family property in Groves a couple years ago after my grandmother died. My co-worker told me about his family business a few years ago but we never talked about it again. We went into quarantine 6 months later.

I think Kelli might be his sister. Age lines up and first name also starts with K. Just spitballin' though.

Your mother probably knows my aunt. My aunt went to school with her, and was in Girl Scouts with her when they were younger. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Your mother probably knows my aunt. My aunt went to school with her, and was in Girl Scouts with her when they were younger. 

15 hours ago, Walser said:

my mom graduated from PATJ with her...class of 1960.  dad graduated in '58 from Bishop Byrne.

• 2 months later...

Saw a bag of frozen and cleaned in the freezer at HEB.  No really sure what I am doing here, but they were yummy. Meat had a hard time separating from the shell though.  Maybe pre-boil next time?

Also catfish and a crawfish pie from Quality. 

6-EC2-F6-CF-F29-C-47-DF-B9-A9-E378-FA232

F208-E38-E-9-B24-4-A97-9-F11-1-E29-B2-F6

238770-FE-7170-4822-8-BAD-5-B8-C114-D8-F

State-level Republicans are “reforming” how elections are administered

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

When I was a teenager, a couple of times a year, some buddies and I would go to Sartin's out by Parkdale Mall and get the all you can eat deal. $19.95 for fried shrimp and BBQ crabs. We'd sit there for a good 2 1/2 hours, just knocking out plate after plate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...