daunte wright shooting

TexasHooch

Yup.

Did I miss something from when I watched that video? I don’t know what the cop recording had issue with, but the guy didn’t have any business trying to push them off of him or trying to hold his door shut. That’s a bad idea for anyone and you know it as well as everyone here.

I felt sorry for the other cop that looked like he was fairly new. He seemed to be more calm and handle it better.

Both are asking to be treated as professionals and with respect.  Both are in positions of authority/life and death over others.  But only one of those two "professionals" is required to pay for their own mistakes, or at least purchase insurance, and to be held to account for their mistakes, without blaming the public.
Edit to add;  This right here is the problem.  That police think they're above accountability, by constantly amping the fear for their own life.  Even when doing things like writing tickets for selling cigarettes or pulling over someone for an unregistered vehicle.  And that their fear should let them evade professional accountability.

Maybe we should do away with dumb ass laws against selling loose cigarettes and having to have registered vehicles. It obviously won’t help a couple of the guys in this thread, but it may help someone down the road.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

If you are talking about George Floyd, yes he has some blame. He was a big fella...and black. And the 140 pound manlet with a gun and a badge was skeered of him.

Dude was in the wrong profession all his years on the force if he and 3 other officers in his command can't properly subdue a guy who stopped resisting once he was out of the car. Not sure what other blame you are attributing because if it is being intoxicated in public, that shouldn't mean the death penalty or you and I would already be on death row.

If you factor in the defendant knew him, it’s premeditated. They can’t prove it. He absolutely contributed to Floyd’s death. 

Edited by Nicole44
Did he just have that “one” counterfeit bill?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just a note -- lots of folks around here note that "actually, not that many unarmed black men are shot each year."  And they aren't wrong.  The thing is.....not that many cops are shot, either.  It happens.  It's awful when it does.  But as has been pointed out, being a cop is far from the most dangerous profession.

just the numbers for 2020, all races (blacks)

shot and killed by police:  1021 (243)

armed with other than guns/knives: 207 (47)

"unarmed": 55 (18)

----

annual fatal injuries to police:  118

annual fatal injuries due to homicide:  49

do those numbers support your statement of "people are killed just for being black" "unarmed people shot for sport everyday" or etc, vs "not that many cops are shot"?

those are numbers.  but if we're extrapolating off isolated incidences, do you still support disarming police and sending 2 abreast for traffic stops?  like this?

(btw, the 2 cops that maceballed the army guy in the truck, *they* should be suspended without pay for a period, and required to re-train (at cost) if they want continued employment, and possibly disarmed for a period as well)

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

do those numbers support your statement of "people are killed just for being black" "unarmed people shot for sport everyday" or etc, vs "not that many cops are shot"?

No.  Because -- and this is important -- cops killing black people is just the worst outcome of a bigger problem.  For every unarmed black guy who ends up dead, how many got whooped good?  How many got arrested on a bullshit charges?  How many get hassled like hell when most of us wouldn't even be noticed by the cops.   It's a pyramid of shit, and "murdered by the cops" is just at the top.

And it's not solely a problem for minorities -- plenty of white people get treated like shit by a cop on a power trip.  But it's ESPECIALLY a problem for minorities.

Couching it as only being about killed unarmed black men purposefully diminishes the problem.  Dead black men is not the problem (it's problematic, but it's not "the problem").  Rather, it is a RESULT of the problem at its extreme.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

----

those are numbers.  but if we're extrapolating off isolated incidences, do you still support disarming police and sending 2 abreast for traffic stops?  like this?

(btw, the 2 cops that maceballed the army guy in the truck, *they* should be suspended without pay for a period, and required to re-train (at cost) if they want continued employment, and possibly disarmed for a period as well)

it's interesting how when it's a white person with a rifle they use restraint, and when it's a black unarmed person they use deadly force.....

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

----

I can say without guilt shame hesitation or reservation I appreciate those individuals that are there to protect us. My friend (as featured) is a paramedic. She rolls and now flies into situations unknown. She has been kicked, spit on, bitten, sat on, strangled, called bitch repeatedly. Still does the job. Saving lives. I may not have the experience with law enforcement or 911 for that matter but at some point people have to actually accept responsibility for their own shit and take better care of their own. 

7F53DF46-2EBF-4D07-A443-AC9412F5032E.jpeg

D27B95DF-C1BF-47D3-8C84-EFEB10C8BAA1.jpeg

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

It’s not even the same. Because no one drank water then. But hey, hate on.

At one point in my conservative religious upbringing I was told that the wine in Jesus’ time was non-alcoholic. We drank grape juice and ate yeast bread at our communion ceremonies. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And it's not solely a problem for minorities -- plenty of white people get treated like shit by a cop on a power trip.  But it's ESPECIALLY a problem for minorities.

Couching it as only being about killed unarmed black men purposefully diminishes the problem.  Dead black men is not the problem (it's problematic, but it's not "the problem").  Rather, it is a RESULT of the problem at its extreme.

Buddy, almost every thread on this site has been seeded from black-involved-shootings, and every discussion -- advanced by both "sides" -- has been specifically around blacks/shootings/killings. 

If you want to reframe the topic around "power trips" , that's fine and dandy, and i wont even disagree with you (although i suggest theres more nuance, in that its a reflexive situation -- if you deal with shitty criminals all day, you might be predisposed to a certain temperament). 

But specifically police shooting , especially of minorities/blacks, ARE the conversation, so dont accuse anyone of couching the discussions or moving the goal post.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Do you even Vegas? Odds? Doesn’t mean profiling is right which I have said repeatedly. What does lolk mean? 

You're speculating that at least 50% of minorities with a driver's license have an outstanding warrant. IE - minorities are usually criminals. I hate to break it to you, but "brown people are criminals" is a racist trope. 

Edit: I misunderstood what nicole was saying in her post, wanted to correct this so as not to unfairly characterize what she meant

Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I can say without guilt shame hesitation or reservation I appreciate those individuals that are there to protect us. My friend (as featured) is a paramedic. She rolls and now flies into situations unknown. She has been kicked, spit on, bitten, sat on, strangled, called bitch repeatedly. Still does the job. Saving lives. I may not have the experience with law enforcement or 911 for that matter but at some point people have to actually accept responsibility for their own shit and take better care of their own. 

7F53DF46-2EBF-4D07-A443-AC9412F5032E.jpeg

D27B95DF-C1BF-47D3-8C84-EFEB10C8BAA1.jpeg

She looks cute.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Buddy, almost every thread on this site has been seeded from black-involved-shootings, and every discussion -- advanced by both "sides" -- has been specifically around blacks/shootings/killings. 

If you want to reframe the topic around "power trips" , that's fine and dandy, and i wont even disagree with you (although i suggest theres more nuance, in that its a reflexive situation -- if you deal with shitty criminals all day, you might be predisposed to a certain temperament). 

But specifically police shooting , especially of minorities/blacks, ARE the conversation, so dont accuse anyone of couching the discussions or moving the goal post.

We've had plenty of discussions of cops doing shitty things that DON'T end up in a dead black guy.  There's literally an active thread about one right now.  I remember the video of the Mesquite cop doing an "Rambo action roll" as he rolled up on a pool party with black kids -- lots of laughs here about that one.  We had a lengthy thread about a NON-black shooting or two -- the Houston drug raid bullshit, and the Arizona "get fucked" psychopath.  Those pop right in to mind.  For fuck's sake, we actually discussed having a separate "Bernard" forum JUST to discuss police bullshittery.  

Sorry you don't get to dismiss the entire discussion as just whiny black people bitching about a mere 55 killings a year.  It's a lot bigger than that around here, and it always has been.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No.  Because -- and this is important -- cops killing black people is just the worst outcome of a bigger problem.  For every unarmed black guy who ends up dead, how many got whooped good?  How many got arrested on a bullshit charges?  How many get hassled like hell when most of us wouldn't even be noticed by the cops.   It's a pyramid of shit, and "murdered by the cops" is just at the top.

And the reason that we (again, both sides) have been talking deaths, shootings, and other binary events, it's much more definitive and quantifiable.

How many people got whooped good ?  hassled like hell? More difficult to prove, on both sides.  If you assert a narrative, I welcome you to take a crack at it. 

These is the number from the Dallas PD.  A Resistance Incidence is anything from intimidation/words, all the way to physical aggression.  Presumably cops are incentivized to record all the RIs, because it provides them cover to justify their responses.  Can you support or construct any narratives from these numbers?  (all cops are bad?  white cops are bad?  all cops hate blacks/hispanics/asians?  all cops over-classifies resistance against certain races?)

image.png

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

When hyperbole goes over the top and becomes dangerous the natural reaction is to introduce facts to the conversation. Reduces emotion and allows for a real conversation as opposed to a pre-determined narrative. 

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We've had plenty of discussions of cops doing shitty things that DON'T end up in a dead black guy.  There's literally an active thread about one right now.  I remember the video of the Mesquite cop doing an "Rambo action roll" as he rolled up on a pool party with black kids -- lots of laughs here about that one.  We had a lengthy thread about a NON-black shooting or two -- the Houston drug raid bullshit, and the Arizona "get fucked" psychopath.  Those pop right in to mind.  For fuck's sake, we actually discussed having a separate "Bernard" forum JUST to discuss police bullshittery.  

Sorry you don't get to dismiss the entire discussion as just whiny black people bitching about a mere 55 killings a year.  It's a lot bigger than that around here, and it always has been.

Remind me again, what was the argument over the Rambo action roll?  What was the contention over the get fucked psychopath?  Who was arguing what on the drug raid bullshit? 

I'm not dismissing your entire discussion.  I'm responding to these words that you wrote:

no law in any jurisdiction allows a cop to kill someone "because  he was a bad guy."

Of course, in Arizona, it don't make a shit, you're dead anyway

Whether you live or die, suffer or not, depends on what a cop feels like doing in a given moment.

You have the burden of proving that you SHOULDN'T be killed

Before we start to stake claims on the politeness of police officers and whether or not they greet our grannies warmly in the morning, how about we start off with the most egregious, important, and provable/disprovable claims?  Is that okay with you? 

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You're speculating that at least 50% of minorities with a driver's license have an outstanding warrant. IE - minorities are usually criminals. I hate to break it to you, but "brown people are criminals" is a racist trope. 

My inability to phrase things in the correct way is baffling to myself l: “cops figure the odds are if they pull over a minority the chances are better for them to have a warrant.” My ex was Hispanic. He hates cops and understandably so. From his point of view. From the cops POV they are looking at a criminal. And it’s sad but it is the truth. How can both sides be better? That’s all I am saying. 

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And the reason that we (again, both sides) have been talking deaths, shootings, and other binary events, it's much more definitive and quantifiable.

How many people got whooped good ?  hassled like hell? More difficult to prove, on both sides.  If you assert a narrative, I welcome you to take a crack at it. 

These is the number from the Dallas PD.  A Resistance Incidence is anything from intimidation/words, all the way to physical aggression.  Presumably cops are incentivized to record all the RIs, because it provides them cover to justify their responses.  Can you support or construct any narratives from these numbers?  (all cops are bad?  white cops are bad?  all cops hate blacks/hispanics/asians?  all cops over-classifies resistance against certain races?)

image.png

image.png

Dude, didn’t you read the fine print? Deaths are only super fucking tragic and noteworthy if it’s death by cop. Or a mass shooting by gun. Or just gun. Stranglings, hangings, stabbings, -any death is not as tragic. Slippery slope. Same arguments for all time on a lot of the same shit. Main question: is there a cool place and a not cool place we go when we die? Like who cares how you die if we are all going to die anyway? Kids dying and starving all over the world. We worry about the wrong shit. 

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Holy fuck she merced his ass with multiple shots. I didn't know they were trained to pull the trigger so many times with a taser

My bad, fixing my post. I watched it without sound and saw the hang jumping several times and assumed they were shots

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Remind me again, what was the argument over the Rambo action roll?  What was the contention over the get fucked psychopath?  Who was arguing what on the drug raid bullshit? 

I'm not dismissing your entire discussion.  I'm responding to these words that you wrote:

Before we start to stake claims on the politeness of police officers and whether or not they greet our grannies warmly in the morning, how about we start off with the most egregious, important, and provable/disprovable claims?  Is that okay with you? 

Don't tell me that all our conversations about policing on this board have been about "killing black people," then when I tell you about multiple topics that were otherwise, call me out.  YOU made the assertion that the death of black men is the only thing we talk about.  You are wrong as hell.  We have had multiple, long, and detailed conversations about the complex and bigger problems with policing on this board since its inception.  If you overstated your position, that's not my problem.  I pointed out to you topics.  Go do some homework on this board, the search function is your friend (search for officer Goines, shit, the Arizona cop "get fucked" has a live discussion going on right now, etc.).

And I've written a LOT more about our problems with police.  On JUST the issue of how they are especially a problem for minorities, the progression goes like so (and I'm retyping it even though you're being disingenuous as shit and know exactly what we're talking about here -- it's been covered a million times before):

1: generic black person is more likely to be stopped/questioned/hassled by a cop than generic white person.

2: if there is ANY basis for further interaction, hassling, arrest, etc., generic black person (who is already more likely to have a police interaction) also gets less benefit of the doubt than generic white person.

3: the more interaction/detention/arrest action you see, particularly because you aren't being given the benefit of the doubt, the greater the risk there is of something going south, physically -- from the small (a bruise, twisted arm) to the extreme (slowly crushed to death, shot, etc.).

And your rebuttal will be......"prove it."  When the cops hold all the data, choose what to report or not, and can use the threat of criminal sanction to shut complaining parties up (I have seen it happen, literally first hand).  I'll trust the cops' information on "how shitty we treat minorities" about as much as I'll trust a drug dealer's information on "that stuff isn't mine, I just borrowed this car from a friend."

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't tell me that all our conversations about policing on this board have been about "killing black people," then when I tell you about multiple topics that were otherwise, call me out.  YOU made the assertion that the death of black men is the only thing we talk about.  You are wrong as hell.  We have had multiple, long, and detailed conversations about the complex and bigger problems with policing on this board since its inception.  If you overstated your position, that's not my problem.  I pointed out to you topics.  Go do some homework on this board, the search function is your friend (search for officer Goines, shit, the Arizona cop "get fucked" has a live discussion going on right now, etc.).

And I've written a LOT more about our problems with police.  On JUST the issue of how they are especially a problem for minorities, the progression goes like so (and I'm retyping it even though you're being disingenuous as shit and know exactly what we're talking about here -- it's been covered a million times before):

1: generic black person is more likely to be stopped/questioned/hassled by a cop than generic white person.

2: if there is ANY basis for further interaction, hassling, arrest, etc., generic black person (who is already more likely to have a police interaction) also gets less benefit of the doubt than generic white person.

3: the more interaction/detention/arrest action you see, particularly because you aren't being given the benefit of the doubt, the greater the risk there is of something going south, physically -- from the small (a bruise, twisted arm) to the extreme (slowly crushed to death, shot, etc.).

And your rebuttal will be......"prove it."  When the cops hold all the data, choose what to report or not, and can use the threat of criminal sanction to shut complaining parties up (I have seen it happen, literally first hand).  I'll trust the cops' information on "how shitty we treat minorities" about as much as I'll trust a drug dealer's information on "that stuff isn't mine, I just borrowed this car from a friend."

You started so nice and innocuous, and then, bam: crushed to death and shot.  

If 1 leads to 2 and 2 leads to 3 — the disastrous binary outcomes — and I showed you that 3 is not provably biased or outsized.....your response is “welll there’s still more of 1”?

I posted a large sample of data above from Dallas, and invited you to match it to your narrative — any narrative you want to weave. It’s not a handful of incidences of police complaints. It’s thousands of points across all race interactions. 

You’re response is you choose not to, on the grounds of the data being systematically doctored/suppressed?  Yeah, fine, k, we’ll just take your word for it.  We’re disingenuous here. 

7 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Here's the video (hopefully before CaptainAnt starts his bullshit about "An innocent kid got shot because he had air freshener in his car!"  Yes, that was all over twitter yesterday and today.)

He was stopped for an arrest warrant after failing to appear in court on gun charges.  As one officer is trying to cuff him, he suddenly breaks free and jumps in his car.  That officer struggles with him, while a female officer yells "Taser" several times before firing, and then he drives off.

Obviously she blew it by reaching for the wrong weapon (did they water down her qualifying to reach female hiring quotas?  Obviously male cops do stupid things, too.  But asking if it could have been a factor.  Do you want reform to true higher standards or not?  Because making exceptions creates higher risks.)

But like almost all of these shootings, it almost certainly doesn't happen if the suspect had complied with the officers. 

(Note to "But ___" knee jerks:  That idiotic VA stop of the military guy wasn't a shooting.)

Damn it’s the truth, if this young man had accepted that he was caught and would have to spend a night in jail he would be alive today. Just the attempt to run amped up all the cops, including the shooter, and totally changed the dynamics of a simple arrest.

Everyone is to blame for this one.

No excuse whatsoever. I don’t care what his record was or what color he was. If you don’t know the difference between a taser and a pistol, you have no business carrying either. And you certainly don’t pull the trigger because things get exciting. 
Furthermore, the police spokesman said it was an “accidental discharge”.  Horseshit. She pulled the trigger. It was a negligent discharge. 

Edited by Lat22
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

No excuse whatsoever. I don’t care what his record was or what color he was. If you don’t know the difference between a taser and a pistol, you have no business carrying either. And you certainly don’t pull the trigger because things get exciting. 

When I first heard the basics, I imagined the cop drew and fired the gun in an instant, not realizing that she had the wrong weapon. I'm now a little confused having watched the body cam footage. She had that gun drawn for several seconds, in what appears to be her line of sight. I'm sure the stress of a subject not complying with an arrest may cloud your mental faculties, but that was not what I was expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that video clearly ain't it. 

7 hours ago, lemonlime said:

And she needs to be charged with manslaughter.  I'm not familiar with MN criminal code, and think murder may not apply.  But if you go to taze someone and don't make damn sure you're actually holding a tazer and not a gun, you need to be held responsible under the law.

She might not even meet the scienter requirement of Minnesota's manslaughter laws.  Of the murder and manslaughter statutes I've scanned, the one that comes the closest to applying appears to be section 609.205(1), which provides for second degree manslaughter when a person causes the death of another "by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to" the victim. 

In this case, it's not a stretch to say that the cop engaged in "culpable negligence" that "create[d] an unreasonable risk."  However, she apparently must have also "consciously" taken a chance or chances of causing death, whatever that means.  I assume the cop would argue that her acts were mistaken, inadvertent and/or negligent in nature, but that she did not "consciously" engage in a risk that led to death.  Might be a close call re: getting a second degree manslaughter charge to stick.  None of the Minnesota murder statutes (first or second degree) would apply, IMO. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

She knew she pulled it, or she did not follow her training. She pulls from her right hip and starts yelling taser. And her reaction after was I shot him. She knew her gun went off and not a taser. 

She wouldn’t have yelled taser if she recognized she had her firearm pulled. She recognized after pulling the trigger that it wasn’t a taser.

Looks like a genuine mistake, IMO. A deadly one at that, and she should be prosecuted for manslaughter and relieved of police duty for good.

Here's the video (hopefully before CaptainAnt starts his bullshit about "An innocent kid got shot because he had air freshener in his car!"  Yes, that was all over twitter yesterday and today.)
He was stopped for an arrest warrant after failing to appear in court on gun charges.  As one officer is trying to cuff him, he suddenly breaks free and jumps in his car.  That officer struggles with him, while a female officer yells "Taser" several times before firing, and then he drives off.

Obviously she blew it by reaching for the wrong weapon (did they water down her qualifying to reach female hiring quotas?  Obviously male cops do stupid things, too.  But asking if it could have been a factor.  Do you want reform to true higher standards or not?  Because making exceptions creates higher risks.)
But like almost all of these shootings, it almost certainly doesn't happen if the suspect had complied with the officers. 
(Note to "But ___" knee jerks:  That idiotic VA stop of the military guy wasn't a shooting.)

Jfc go back to texags
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Damn it’s the truth, if this young man had accepted that he was caught and would have to spend a night in jail he would be alive today.

Maybe. But we can’t know that. We’ve seen videos of cops shooting and killing black people who were trying to comply. Also, if the stupid cop hadn’t shot him, he’d still be alive today. And in custody. And have a court date. 

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

She wouldn’t have yelled taser if she recognized she had her firearm pulled. She recognized after pulling the trigger that it wasn’t a taser.

Looks like a genuine mistake, IMO. A deadly one at that, and she should be prosecuted for manslaughter and relieved of police duty for good.

Then she violated her training which is each weapon is on a different hip. Not disagreeing with you, just saying she fucked up big time, a man was killed. 

Furthermore, the police spokesman said it was an “accidental discharge”.  Horseshit. She pulled the trigger. It was a negligent discharge. 

The idea that patrol cops have any business carrying guns is just indefensible at this point.

20 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Based on my viewing of the video, I agree that it appears she was surprised.  What an enormous and tragic mistake.

I suspect there will be some who will say that she intended to discharge the firearm and that her exclamations of "taser, taser, taser" and "I'm going to tase you" were simply done to "make it look good," but that's not the sense I got when I viewed the video. 

Damn. The guy calmly got out of the car and put his hands behind his back. Cop was taking forever to put the cuffs on, and the guy flipped for some reason and tried to get away. Wright made a bad choice trying to escape, but that would’ve never happened if the cop got the cuffs on him quicker.

32 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Her yelling taser was the murder version of “stop resisting!”

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Damn. The guy calmly got out of the car and put his hands behind his back. Cop was taking forever to put the cuffs on, and the guy flipped for some reason and tried to get away. Wright made a bad choice trying to escape, but that would’ve never happened if the cop got the cuffs on him quicker.

All sorts of bad practices before we even get to the shooting. Wright should've been asked to shut off his car. Cuffs should've been put on away from the door. And the chick cop doesn't need to be yelling across the way about Wright's warrants before his detainment is secured. Which brings me to the question of why was he being cuffed if they didn't already know he had warrants at the time?

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1