daunte wright shooting

TexasHooch

On 2/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, Brisketexan said:

On first impression, I don't have a huge problem with this sentence.  It was a valid manslaughter case (she didn't intend to cause his death), and she demonstrated immediate and consistent remorse.  Yes, the counter-argument is that cops should be held to a high standard when it comes to the use of force, but honestly, the power here is that she was convicted and will serve time.

On PBS NewsHour yesterday they said the typical sentence for that charge was 7 years. 2 years seems kind of light for a defendant who is a cop with quite a bit of experience and who did nothing to aid the victim after recognizing their mistake.

I intentionally omitted any female pronouns there. Could the sentence have been influenced by the fact that the accused was a white female who dutifully blubbered in court and said how sorry she is while the victim was a black man? I don’t know. Would she have been so scared shitless that she couldn’t tell her gun from a taser in the heat of the moment if they’d pulled over a white guy? I don’t know that either. But I can’t help but wonder.