Ever get annoyed by "that guy?"

closetohumping

20 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Has the sandbagger been mentioned? Any group activity that it mildly athletic, pick up ball game, whatever, before it the activity even starts-- "Ohh, I'm not feeling it today, you guys are going to kick my ass, my ______ is sore so I'm going to have to take it easy, blah blah blah blah".

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree with the op on some points. 

However there are times when you have to point things out too. Like when people invite you out to dinner, and they pick a “barbecue” place. And you’re nowhere near anywhere with even passable cue, let alone good. 

I had this happen recently. I knew I shouldn’t but I got a 3-meat plate and picked brisket as one. Took one bite of that rancid pot roast and the waitress showed up. I sent it back for pork. She asked what was wrong specifically, so I told her as politely as I could that it was dry, not cooked near long enough, was a roast and not a smoked meat, and the flavor was akin to cardboard. Then I added in, “that cow didn’t deserve to die for that.”

It was bad. Real bad. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Has the sandbagger been mentioned? Any group activity that it mildly athletic, pick up ball game, whatever, before it the activity even starts-- "Ohh, I'm not feeling it today, you guys are going to kick my ass, my ______ is sore so I'm going to have to take it easy, blah blah blah blah".

This guy is cousins to calling Ricky tack fouls guy

Sweaty guy in pickup basketball. You know what I’m talking about. Not the normal amount that everyone sweats. The slime that covers him is astounding. The worst is when you go shirts and skins. No one wants to guard that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I agree with the op on some points. 

However there are times when you have to point things out too. Like when people invite you out to dinner, and they pick a “barbecue” place. And you’re nowhere near anywhere with even passable cue, let alone good. 

I had this happen recently. I knew I shouldn’t but I got a 3-meat plate and picked brisket as one. Took one bite of that rancid pot roast and the waitress showed up. I sent it back for pork. She asked what was wrong specifically, so I told her as politely as I could that it was dry, not cooked near long enough, was a roast and not a smoked meat, and the flavor was akin to cardboard. Then I added in, “that cow didn’t deserve to die for that.”

It was bad. Real bad. 

Hope you enjoyed the floor spice, ass juice, dandruff, pubes and snot on your pork

• Haha 2

On 4/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, WillUSAF said:

I agree. I was born in Florida but moved to TX when I was less than 2 and was raised there my whole life. Just because you were born in Texas doesnt make you more Texan than I am....

Yes it does.

and yeah, I was born in CO and have lived here since I was 6.   I will never be a native Texan.

That being said, they might not love being a Texan more than you do. By definition though, they are indeed, a little more Texan than you.

Edited by slorch

49 minutes ago, nnm said:

Sweaty guy in pickup basketball. You know what I’m talking about. Not the normal amount that everyone sweats. The slime that covers him is astounding. The worst is when you go shirts and skins. No one wants to guard that guy. 

tenor.gif

Edited by Ogie Ogilthorpe
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

The guy who never joined the military because he would have punched his Drill Instructor in the face.

Sometimes, but not always, is also the guy who thinks because he ate an MRE in a  blind and waits for a deer to come to the feeder and he pops it with a scoped .30-06; that he's militia-ready and scary to 'civilians.'

Yeah, you scary... but not in the way that you think.

He also is not a hunter.

Always makes me laugh at these deer "hunters" because they put these auto feeders out and feed the deer for 9 or so months and then climb up in a sniper tower and shoot them when they come out to feed in November. Not much "hunting" in that scenario.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

He also is not a hunter.

Always makes me laugh at these deer "hunters" because they put these auto feeders out and feed the deer for 9 or so months and then climb up in a sniper tower and shoot them when they come out to feed in November. Not much "hunting" in that scenario.

Yeah, it's kinda like shooting a dog at that point. The animals no longer have any fear, and will just stand there. It's more like target practice than hunting.

OTOH, I have a few friends that are bow hunters, and the big thing with them right now is going out at night and shooting feral hogs with a bow. That, to me, is a different proposition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rob Riggle may not be "That Guy" in real life but he sure has made a career out of playing "That Guy" on the screen. 

Based on every the fact he’s that guy in literally every screen appearance, it either comes totally natural or he’s the best actor to ever live. And the fact lobo likes him has me leaning former.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yeah, it's kinda like shooting a dog at that point. The animals no longer have any fear, and will just stand there. It's more like target practice than hunting.

OTOH, I have a few friends that are bow hunters, and the big thing with them right now is going out at night and shooting feral hogs with a bow. That, to me, is a different proposition. 

Would be better if the hogs had bows!  Oh, just became anti hunting guy!!

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

He also is not a hunter.

What if you do it naked?

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

He also is not a hunter.

I only hunt with hand crafted locally sourced spears, because I am superior.

Honestly, with the deer density in Texas there is no other way to do it.  I agree it does not take any real skill to shoot out of a blind.  But that is kind of the point of doing it.  I want to make the easiest and most ethical shot possible.  I have killed over 500 deer in my life and never wounded one.  We kills hundreds of deer a year at our place.  More than half from blinds.  (We also corn roads and shoot out of high racks).  You could not kill enough deer with archery equipment on a place like ours.  Just not possible.

Sneaking up on deer is not really a challenge either if the deer you approach are upwind.  I do it all the time.  I will pop a couple in my morning spot, then walk over and creep on deer in another spot.  

There just is not much opportunity in Texas for hard hunting like there is in New Mexico or Colorado, where certain types require excellent physical condition and the ability to shoot 400 yards.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

That is actually very easy.  Hogs cannot see for shit, especially at night.  Just approach them with the wind in your favor and you can get right up on them.  Do it all the time, but use a rifle.  You can get real close at night where the shot whether with bow or firearm is easy.  All you have to do is listen.  They are easy to hear.  Then approach with wind in your favor.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

He also is not a hunter.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, slorch said:

The guy who never joined the military because he would have punched his Drill Instructor in the face.

Sometimes, but not always, is also the guy who thinks because he ate an MRE in a  blind and waits for a deer to come to the feeder and he pops it with a scoped .30-06; that he's militia-ready and scary to 'civilians.'

Yeah, you scary... but not in the way that you think.

AKA doomsday prepper guy who became protester guy 3 weeks into the pandemic because he couldn't go to Golden Corral or get a haircut.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And us Dodge men laugh at all of those clowns.

If you want to drive an Italian-French bastard vehicle, more power to you. 
(Edit:  and it’s a Ram, not a Dodge anymore. I drove ‘68 and ‘98 Dodge pickups once upon a time. But Dodge doesn’t make pickups anymore.)

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

If you want to drive an Italian-French bastard vehicle, more power to you. 
(Edit:  and it’s a Ram, not a Dodge anymore. I drove ‘68 and ‘98 Dodge pickups once upon a time. But Dodge doesn’t make pickups anymore.)

Touche'. 

But can't use Ram Men on Surly without it getting dirty.

“I can’t believe anyone would PAY for something when they could...” guy. Whether it’s home projects, woodworking, wrenching, gardening, or mixing craft cocktail syrup, this guy has a hobby or skill and thinks you should, too. He cannot accept why anyone would value their time or convenience, or simply another hobby over learning to do his thing and then doing it.  His way is more affordable/quality/ethical.All these guys are the same species, don’t be confused by hipster (craft cocktail syrup) or Marlboro man (construction) camouflage.

Also don’t confuse that guy with a guy who is good at something, enjoys it, and is happy to help you learn or finish your project—when asked— if he has time.  He’s a good guy, the opposite of a that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 12:23 AM, Lobo said:

It's funny you mentioned that, guy who "roughs" it in the woods and could totally make in the military is still well abound in Texas these days.  But I never hear "I wouldn't take no shit off a Gunny" guy anymore these days.  That guy just disappeared from the face of the earth as far as I can tell.  And he was everywhere 20 years ago.  Weird, good observation.  My dad encountered that guy all the time and my dad was as anti-authoritarian as they got in the Navy.  

I think that as we get distance from major, draft-era wars and the gap between military/civilian life, the weirdos and aggro assholes who used to say this shit just don’t feel the need to justify themselves anymore.  I bet he can still be spotted at gun shows and MMA gyms sometimes. 

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I only hunt with hand crafted locally sourced spears, because I am superior.

Honestly, with the deer density in Texas there is no other way to do it.  I agree it does not take any real skill to shoot out of a blind.  But that is kind of the point of doing it.  I want to make the easiest and most ethical shot possible.  I have killed over 500 deer in my life and never wounded one.  We kills hundreds of deer a year at our place.  More than half from blinds.  (We also corn roads and shoot out of high racks).  You could not kill enough deer with archery equipment on a place like ours.  Just not possible.

Sneaking up on deer is not really a challenge either if the deer you approach are upwind.  I do it all the time.  I will pop a couple in my morning spot, then walk over and creep on deer in another spot.  

There just is not much opportunity in Texas for hard hunting like there is in New Mexico or Colorado, where certain types require excellent physical condition and the ability to shoot 400 yards.

There's nothing wrong with harvesting deer within the season and its contributions towards conservation.

The motherfuckers acting like a weekend in deer camp  makes them Jeremiah Johnson or Rambo are idiots.

That guy who loves to demean and belittle others with aggressive "teasing", often creeping into bullying, but whines like a pussy at the slightest return.  Mr. "Oh, I can't call him a moron retard, but he can mention my weight in a conversation about weight loss that I started so that I can him fat? That's not fair!"  If you can't take it, don't dish it.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

There's nothing wrong with harvesting deer within the season and its contributions towards conservation.

The motherfuckers acting like a weekend in deer camp  makes them Jeremiah Johnson or Rambo are idiots.

I hunt with very experienced people.  None act like that. 

The skill is being to age and score on the hoof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I hunt with very experienced people.  None act like that. 

I believe you. I'm not remotely anti-hunting.  We're talking about 'that guy.'

The skill is being to age and score on the hoof. 

Lolz.  from the blind?  It's luck.  Sure you make your shot, but quality of target is absolutely luck. I made those shots as a 10-11 year old kid, and virtually everyone I grew up with did too.

The guy who acts like you're stupid because you don't understand his special area of expertise. 

Just went through this installing some propane powered equipment. I don't know dick about propane beyond hooking up the cylinders for grills and stuff. 

The equipment got delivered except for the propane hook up, and the guy was coming down to do training, so this was all over the phone. He told me to order two hundred pound tanks. I do that, then he told me to get the equipment to hook the tanks together and run them into the common connection. 

"Oh, hell yes you need to get a regulator. Also you need a gauge. Just get a common hookup." 

So I start asking questions about the regulator. How much pressure does it need to be able to handle? Dittos for the gauge. What thread do these systems use? I tell him I don't know anything about these types of hookups and that's why we're paying them $67,000 for this equipment is because they're supposed to be the experts. Do the large tanks have a different type connection from the small tanks? What diameter pipe do I need? Should I teflon tape the connections? 

Guy acted like I was stupid cause I didn't come out of my mother's womb understanding how to build a propane manifold out of parts from Home Depot. 

Oh, and when he shows up, he's like, "these tanks are too small."

"You said two hundred pound tanks."

"Oh, I meant two hundred gallon tanks."

I tell him, "Propane's sold by the pound and the gallon. There's a lot of difference between a pound and a gallon."

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

27 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

The guy who acts like you're stupid because you don't understand his special area of expertise. 

Just went through this installing some propane powered equipment. I don't know dick about propane beyond hooking up the cylinders for grills and stuff. 

The equipment got delivered except for the propane hook up, and the guy was coming down to do training, so this was all over the phone. He told me to order two hundred pound tanks. I do that, then he told me to get the equipment to hook the tanks together and run them into the common connection. 

"Oh, hell yes you need to get a regulator. Also you need a gauge. Just get a common hookup." 

So I start asking questions about the regulator. How much pressure does it need to be able to handle? Dittos for the gauge. What thread do these systems use? I tell him I don't know anything about these types of hookups and that's why we're paying them $67,000 for this equipment is because they're supposed to be the experts. Do the large tanks have a different type connection from the small tanks? What diameter pipe do I need? Should I teflon tape the connections? 

Guy acted like I was stupid cause I didn't come out of my mother's womb understanding how to build a propane manifold out of parts from Home Depot. 

Oh, and when he shows up, he's like, "these tanks are too small."

"You said two hundred pound tanks."

"Oh, I meant two hundred gallon tanks."

I tell him, "Propane's sold by the pound and the gallon. There's a lot of difference between a pound and a gallon."

16b.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, slorch said:

Yes it does.

and yeah, I was born in CO and have lived here since I was 6.   I will never be a native Texan.

That being said, they might not love being a Texan more than you do. By definition though, they are indeed, a little more Texan than you.

I see your point but I consider myself a native Texan. Both of my parents are native and I was only born in Florida because my dad was in the military...i may be wrong calling myself native but that is the way I have always felt.

Have we covered "guy who is literally always 15-30 minutes late for everything"? 

I'm not talking about a guy who is late for events where someone else sets the arrival time, though he can be the same as this guy.

No, this asshole is the guy who you ask "when is good for you?" and he gives you a time. Then he shows up late, every time, for a time that he set. 11:45? Don't expect the dickhead until 12:15. Like, why did you straight up lie to me about when you could be here? Such a douche move.

I have a friend that we always have to account for his tardiness when we do shit and it's annoying. His ass has gotten left behind for more than a few tee times.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Have we covered "guy who is literally always 15-30 minutes late for everything"? 

I'm not talking about a guy who is late for events where someone else sets the arrival time, though he can be the same as this guy.

No, this asshole is the guy who you ask "when is good for you?" and he gives you a time. Then he shows up late, every time, for a time that he set. 11:45? Don't expect the dickhead until 12:15. Like, why did you straight up lie to me about when you could be here? Such a douche move.

I have a friend that we always have to account for his tardiness when we do shit and it's annoying. His ass has gotten left behind for more than a few tee times.

I used to have a roommate who was 10-15 minutes late to work every single day for his 7am shift.  Didn't matter what time he got up, what time he pulled out of the driveway.  Every morning for him was, somehow, chaos of a different breed.  Fortunately, he did a good job and his work just accepted it.  

He was also one of those guys that was just "busy" all the time.  "I've just been so busy."  That pisses me off more than anything.  Fuck you.  We're all busy.  How about returning an email or a phone call or just participating in general friendship.  Fucker...

• Rage+1 1

That guy who has been to New York, LA, or somewhere in Europe one fucking time so they compare everything to what it's like at the place they went to once guy.

Yea these tacos are great, but have you ever had tacos in El laye....

Traffic is so stupid. If we were in NY we could take the subway everywhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

I see your point but I consider myself a native Texan. Both of my parents are native and I was only born in Florida because my dad was in the military...i may be wrong calling myself native but that is the way I have always felt.

My dad has this issue. People have to drag his birthplace out of him, and he will finally say "Geneva, New York. There was a war on!" (His dad was stationed at Sampson Naval Base at the time.)

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

That guy who has been to New York, LA, or somewhere in Europe one fucking time so they compare everything to what it's like at the place they went to once guy.

I fucking hate people who whine about shitty bagels in towns with relatively small Jewish populations, especially when they claim that bagels are some overall barometer of a city's culture or level of civilization. It would be like me moving to New York and declaring the whole city a cultural backwater because it's hard finding chicken-fried steak.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I routinely play basketball with a guy that gets “injured” multiple times each game with theatrics that will rival any foreign soccer player. He hobbles around for a minute or two and then drives the lane with some crazy moves. One day he will get hurt but no one will pay attention because of his antics. He is a good player but the act gets old.

Due to various major injuries in the past, I frequently tweak my ankle or knee. It’s searing pain for a few seconds (I’m talking take your breath away almost pass out type of pain), but then the pain is completely gone within a couple minutes.

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My dad has this issue. People have to drag his birthplace out of him, and he will finally say "Geneva, New York. There was a war on!" (His dad was stationed at Sampson Naval Base at the time.)

I fucking hate people who whine about shitty bagels in towns with relatively small Jewish populations, especially when they claim that bagels are some overall barometer of a city's culture or level of civilization. It would be like me moving to New York and declaring the whole city a cultural backwater because it's hard finding chicken-fried steak.

So I went up the original Jo at Jo's coffee when it opened up on South Congress years ago. 

I said, "You're Jo?  Love your place."

Jo said, "Thanks, what's your name?"

I said, "Helmut Neidhardt.  Good to meet you."

Jo said, "You as well, what can I get you?"

I said, "You know, it's hard to find a good bagel these days."

Jo said, "Yeah?  Well, whose fault is that?"  

23 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Burr has a great bit on this. "Oh why isn't this new city I'm in exactly like the place I left?"

• Hook 'Em 1