Let’s talk about living in San Antonio

It seems like most Texans hate on San Antonio.  We all know that Santa Ana was the first to hate on the Anglo hipsters loitering around the Alamo. And DJ Quik taught us San Antonio is just like Compton. But what gives?  Why the hate?

I am tired of Houston. Only thing that keeps me here is family. But the nephews and nieces are getting old and will soon be the age where they don’t want to hang out with their old uncool uncle. I have long been tied of my job. I would like to be closer to the hill country and Austin is just not affordable anymore. My mom is from SA, so I am not unfamiliar with the city, but never lived there. 

Fill me in on the pros and cons. 

• Haha 1

Are you thinking of living within the city itself, or outside closer to the hill country (Boerne, for example)? 

And what are your thoughts on enchiladas and breakfast tacos?

San Antonio is great for people aged 0-17 and 28+.  The city is trying to make itself more attractive to that 18-27 age group, but who cares about them anyway.

I'd wait to see what happens to Kawhi Leonard before you move.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Are you thinking of living within the city itself, or outside closer to the hill country (Boerne, for example)? 

And what are your thoughts on enchiladas and breakfast tacos?

San Antonio is great for people aged 0-17 and 28+.  The city is trying to make itself more attractive to that 18-27 age group, but who cares about them anyway.

I'd wait to see what happens to Kawhi Leonard before you move.

Fortunately for me, I don’t care for basketball.

If this happened, I would probably want to live in the northern suburbs  chances are my wife would have to work in the city (hospitals).  I am sure there are plenty of good schools and neighborhoods out that way.

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Low cost of living. Heavy metal capital. Tex Mex.

Sooooooooooo you are saying it is heaven?

I wouldn't live in SA or anywhere in Texas for that matter if I was 25-35 and single but 40+ with kids?  It's a pretty damn good place to live. 

Pros: Cheap, best tex-mex and tacos, HEB, Whataburger, traffic. What traffic esp compared to Houston. Spurs, Fiesta, tons of golf courses, the rodeo, lakes, proximity to beach.   The lack of douches and people trying way to hard to pretend like they live NYC or LA etc is pretty low.   Airport is 15 mins away from almost everywhere.

Cons: Variety of general entertainment and restaurants.  Although on the top end we do have the best steakhouse in Texas and Weisman and Dady always seem to have something new popping up.  It's improving but at my age and with as many great restaurants I've eaten at, who cares.     And I'm more a 5-8pm laid back bar patron and Sunday funday.   If you want to go out 5 nights a week its going to get pretty old fast.   General lack of direct flights. 

Edited by midtown

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

The restaurant scene has gotten a lot better in the last 5-10 years. Beer scene is improving but still sucks overall.

What are you talking about there is bud and miller light available at every bar and Valero.  

Well, I am 41, married with two kids (3 & 1). I don’t care about bars or having 19 fancy restaurants all the hipsters and yuppies are talking about.  

Just curious why it allegedly sucks for 20 something’s. I mean, it’s the 9th largest city in the country. I reckon those 20 something’s can find each other to fuck and I am sure there are plenty of hip bars. 

I am just mulling over a change.  Doesn’t hurt that it is a better jumping off point for road trips to the hill country or Big Bend. The only direct flight I care about is to São Paulo, which they have. 

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just curious why it allegedly sucks for 20 something’s.

Because there aren't a bunch of douche themed hipster bars which I guess that crowd likes.  And it definitely has more retired and married with kids demographic because there weren't a lot of corporate employment opportunities for that demographic but like the restaurants scene the employment scene is improving. 

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I mean, it’s the 9th largest city in the country.

It is and it isn't.  I hate that stat.  Technically bigger than Dallas but  SA has annexed basically every living person in the county and there really aren't more than handful of smaller cities in and around.  When you look at MSA I think we drop to 25ish.  Drive around for a few hours and you'll see how small it feels compared to a top 10 city. 

If I had to choose between Dallas, Houston, Austin, or SA in 2018 I'd probably choose San Antonio. There are enough top end restaurants there (Culinary Institute is putting out great cooks into the city) and it absolutely has the best mom and pop restaurants. Midtown is right that it doesn't feel that big compared to DFW or Greater Houston and the traffic there is relatively light. Culturally it has a feeling that the Texas megacities are lacking. Plus getting out of town isn't that bad 2 hours to Corpus, close to Austin, close to the hill country, and the airport isn't THAT bad.

14 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This surprises me...why do they have a direct with GRU?

Not sure. But I checked after midtown mentioned it. Just to be sure. 

Yeah, drive to Rockport isn’t bad and my parents will soon be there permentantly. Plus drive to games in Austin is way better than Houston. That drive back at night (especially after a loss) is a beating. 

I also agree that San Antonio has a much more unique feel to it than Dallas and Houston. 

59 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just curious why it allegedly sucks for 20 something’s. I mean, it’s the 9th largest city in the country. I reckon those 20 something’s can find each other to fuck and I am sure there are plenty of hip bars.

It's not as easy as it seems, and there aren't.

San Antonio suffers a bit from the Hispanic culture just like the Valley does, I lived in the Valley at 23-24 and it was terrible. Everybody seemed to be married or with kids, at that young ass age. Moved myself back to Austin and it's a 180. San Antonio is much more like the RGV than Austin, although it is slowly changing so I hear (gentrification, etc.). I have a friend that was just telling me how much she misses San Antonio "hip bars", especially off of St. Mary's (rd, ave, st. whatever), but she also just moved back to Austin bc there's shit to do in SA, so there's some cognitive dissonance there.

lived there for 12 years.  loved it.  would have never moved if i hadn't gotten transferred back to austin.  i lived northwest (braun station).  traffic on 1604 was a bitch back then, a parking lot, but hopefully they've improved on it some since then.  the cost lof living is fantastic, great schools, great food, great bars.  the music scene is getting bashed on so far on this thread, and it is mostly a cover band city.  not much creative in the way of live music.  also, the radio is poor.  subscribe to sirius and you'll be okay.  

I always had a good time when visiting friends and family in SA when younger, but never got the vibe to live there. Most of them eventually moved to DFW or Austin themselves though. The city just doesn't do it for me, can't explain why. 

first friday down at blue star i miss.  the pearl, the riverwalk, the architecture of downtown buildings, the missions, fiesta, martinis at havana inn, texmex.  lots to miss about that town.  yes, it's a city that celebrates it's hispanic culture.  if you have a problem with that don't move there.  i loved it.  and did i mention the low cost of living?

56 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am 41, married with two kids (3 & 1).

I grew up in Fort Worth, and split my college/grad school years in my 20s between Austin and Houston. Now I'm 37 with a wife and two kids (2.5 & .5). There are more than enough good restaurants and things for us to do here in San Antonio, and we enjoy living close to downtown. Houston has it beat when it comes to weather, tall trees and Asian food, but raising a family there would be a comparative beating. Every visit to Austin, which is quite easy, confirms that it no longer has the qualities that I would miss about it. I would compare SA's small town feel to that of Fort Worth circa 1998-2003, without the surrounding Metroplex.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

first friday down at blue star i miss.  the pearl, the riverwalk, the architecture of downtown buildings, the missions, fiesta, martinis at havana inn, texmex.  lots to miss about that town.  yes, it's a city that celebrates it's hispanic culture.  if you have a problem with that don't move there.  i loved it.  and did i mention the low cost of living?

No problems there. I am half Latino. But also, I am not unfamiliar with the city. Just unfamiliar with living there. 

Someone mentioned there isn’t much to do...I just don’t see hyperbole. Right?  I mean, there are plenty of things to do outdoors, essentially all the outdoors things you can do in Austin can be done in the SA area (hiking, kayaking, swimming, camping). I am pretty sure they have a couple of movie theaters too. 

2 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I grew up in Fort Worth, and split my college/grad school years in my 20s between Austin and Houston. Now I'm 37 with a wife and two kids (2.5 & .5). There are more than enough good restaurants and things for us to do here in San Antonio, and we enjoy living close to downtown. Houston has it beat when it comes to weather, tall trees and Asian food, but raising a family there would be a comparative beating. Every visit to Austin, which is quite easy, confirms that it no longer has the qualities that I would miss about it. I would compare SA's small town feel to that of Fort Worth circa 1998-2003, without the surrounding Metroplex.

Sounds pretty good. Except the weather comment. I was born and raised in Houston and lived most of my life in Texas. I enjoy hot weather way more than cold. So I am good there. But Houston seems to be flooding with much more frequency (too much concrete without the proper drainage and retention infrastructure). San Antonio is a bit dryer, but I think weather is a wash. 

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No problems there. I am half Latino. But also, I am not unfamiliar with the city. Just unfamiliar with living there. 

Someone mentioned there isn’t much to do...I just don’t see hyperbole. Right?  I mean, there are plenty of things to do outdoors, essentially all the outdoors things you can do in Austin can be done in the SA area (hiking, kayaking, swimming, camping). I am pretty sure they have a couple of movie theaters too. 

i dont know what they mean by that either.  there is just as much to do there as any city.  as far as outdoors go, you are as close to canyon lake and the guad as austinites are to lake travis.  there are hundreds of thousands of acres of nature and hiking at what might be the closest state park (government canyon) to any urban area in the state.  op schnabel has a great hike and bike trail.  for sports you have the spurs and the missions, as well as utsa.  nightlife abounds but it's not the singles scene that austin has.  great food and bars though, a plethora.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

San Antonio is a bit dryer, but I think weather is a wash.  

To each his own. I give Houston the nod on weather because of the summer thunderstorms that keep things green throughout the year, which I prefer to the dry brown summers you get everywhere west of I-45. Of course, I did not have to suffer through Harvey, so I don't get PTSD every time it starts to rain. And your point about flooding is well taken. With Houston's topography, there is nothing you can do but hope to get lucky. It comforts me to know that my house will never flood unless a pipe bursts.

I've lived in all 4 of the major cities in Texas and would choose SA over any of them.  Austin has changed too much in the 10 years since I moved from there and I'm not a huge fan of Dallas.  Houston is ok (The Woodlands), but I would prefer to live in the Hill Country.  As soon as it's feasible, we are moving to the area north of SA, probably somewhere around Bulverde or Blanco. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TornACL said:

LOL San Antonio does not have a direct flight to GRU.

Yep, you are right. Had to look again (and actually read this time). It is a strike against it, but not that big of a deal. As my kids get older, a connection in Houston wouldn’t be a big deal. Plus we seem to have gone from visiting every year to every other year. 

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

I've lived in all 4 of the major cities in Texas and would choose SA over any of them.  Austin has changed too much in the 10 years since I moved from there and I'm not a huge fan of Dallas.  Houston is ok (The Woodlands), but I would prefer to live in the Hill Country.  As soon as it's feasible, we are moving to the area north of SA, probably somewhere around Bulverde or Blanco. 

That is the area I would love to live in actually, but my wife probably wouldn’t go for it and honestly, it probably would be a hassle for me too as far as commuting goes. 

Having lived in HOU, ATX, SAT, and DFW, SAT would be my choice of the four in which to raise a family.  For me, it's the big city that doesn't feel "big," 2 hours from the coast (and fishing), and close to the hill country for outdoor recreation.  Definitely live on the north and west side suburbs or, if you don't mind a commute, something like Boerne.

Pros, other than what I mention above: better climate than Houston IMO; would give you new places to explore for your photography; less traffic; low cost of living; HEBs everywhere, which is nice if/when they are open.

Cons: Houston has better food (and service) overall; no hometown pro football and baseball (if you are into those things); airport (already covered above); theoretically fewer employment opportunities.

OP, it sounds like San Antonio might be a good fit for you.  41y/o... midlife crisis... quit your job, pick up the family, and move!

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

list your 5 most important qualities that you are looking for in a city.  will be interesting to see if san antonio has any of them.

1. Jobs

2. Low cost of living 

3. Good schools (I have kids)

4. Good food (and I don’t mean fancy)

5. In Texas, not terribly far from family

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

list your 5 most important qualities that you are looking for in a city.  will be interesting to see if san antonio has any of them.

Enchiladas, pointy boots, close-but-not-too-close to Cotulla, affordable everything, heat indexes in the 120s

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Woodlands isn't Houston.  More South Dallas.

• Like 3

I understand what you mean, but geography says otherwise.  The Woodlands has been a great place to live and raise my son for the last 10 years, but it doesn't really fit us culturally.  We are more "Hill Country" than cosmopolitan (Houston area).  Since they are finally focusing on fixing the 281 North corridor, living somewhere in Bulverde or Blanco wouldn't be terrible traffic wise.   By the time we move, I hope to be somewhat retired anyway...or at the very least not tied to being in the office at a certain time.  

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

I understand what you mean, but geography says otherwise.  The Woodlands has been a great place to live and raise my son for the last 10 years, but it doesn't really fit us culturally.  We are more "Hill Country" than cosmopolitan (Houston area).  Since they are finally focusing on fixing the 281 North corridor, living somewhere in Bulverde or Blanco wouldn't be terrible traffic wise.   By the time we move, I hope to be somewhat retired anyway...or at the very least not tied to being in the office at a certain time.  

It's been a stickler point for me since I grew up inside the 610 loop, but the answer seems to be the same to both "should I live in Houston" and "should I live in San Antonio", it seems like a NO if you respond "sure, move to The Woodlands, quick!" or "sure, move to Blanco!" My mom lived in Blanco for years, and that's even less like San Antonio than the Woodlands is to Houston. Blanco is a hill country town out in the brush, San Antonio is a city.

Go to San Antonio and towns in the hill country quite a lot. Daughter plays sports vs Alamo Heights, Boerne, Kerrville Fredericksburg etc. Have family in Bulverde and they love it there. Afraid It  will be just another big burb with all that brings though. Kids were in Smithson Valley ISD , they liked it but I don't know where it ranks compared to others. Hwy. 281 traffic can really suck at times. Maybe not Houston or IH 35 bad, but all the road work makes it tough.  I have never had a problem finding things to do, good restaurants or entertainment in San Antonio although I really don't do bars any more. As mentioned lots of outdoor related activities near by and the coast is a easy drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This is us. We moved in between Bulverde and Blanco 2 years ago because Houston had become a beating. Too much traffic and too many fucking aggys. On top of a hill that will never flood and we're visiting state parks I've never been to as a native Texan. Access to the "big city" is just down 281 when you need it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Thoughts and prayers.

I hope you own a lot of Megadeth tshirts.

Music wise this isn't the case despite the stereotype. Yeah Metallica and GNR both played the dome but look at the calendar for The Majestic, Aztec, ATT, Alamodome, Floores, and the Tobin Center and tell me you can't get good shows.  Do we have a douchebag hipster filled ACL or SXSW?  No.  But you can get to those in a hour or so. 

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

This is us. We moved in between Bulverde and Blanco 2 years ago because Houston had become a beating. Too much traffic and too many fucking aggys. On top of a hill that will never flood and we're visiting state parks I've never been to as a native Texan. Access to the "big city" is just down 281 when you need it. 

Bastard. I am jealous. 

17 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

It's been a stickler point for me since I grew up inside the 610 loop, but the answer seems to be the same to both "should I live in Houston" and "should I live in San Antonio", it seems like a NO if you respond "sure, move to The Woodlands, quick!" or "sure, move to Blanco!" My mom lived in Blanco for years, and that's even less like San Antonio than the Woodlands is to Houston. Blanco is a hill country town out in the brush, San Antonio is a city.

It’s a valid point...point I think we all know what each other means in this context. 

I'm north of 1604 on the 281 corridor.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If this happened, I would probably want to live in the northern suburbs  chances are my wife would have to work in the city (hospitals).  I am sure there are plenty of good schools and neighborhoods out that way.

My wife and I live in the northern suburbs. My wife worked at Stone Oak Methodist for a while and north of 1604 has plenty of hospitasl and other health care jobs. You would rarely have to travel south of 1604 unless you absolutely had to. The schools are some of the best in the city.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, I am 41, married with two kids (3 & 1). I don’t care about bars or having 19 fancy restaurants all the hipsters and yuppies are talking about.  

We have two children exactly that age and my wife stays at home now. There is a ton of stuff to do for kids that age. The honest to goodness truth about the reason why the city sucks for the 20 somethings is that, in my experience, the majority of the 20 somethings, themselves, are the ones who suck. They'll bitch and moan about San Antonio not having anything for them, but when something "Austin-ish" opens up in town, they still drive the hour north to hang out in Austin instead, the new place will close, and then they'll bitch about the new place they went to only once closing. But there are plenty of nightlife options that will do just fine for married folks who aren't chasing the latest trend of paying a shit-ton of money for a drink that took 30 minutes to get in a bar that cost $20 to valet because there is no parking. You'll do that about twice a year and remember why you'd rather hit the same one or two watering holes that do just fine in providing you a spot to drink away from the house with straight up food and zero hassle.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are a ton of parks, they are almost finished completing a bike trail that connects a large chunk of the city to all of the parks, there are a ton of adult rec leagues, there are a couple of good BJJ gyms here, you are close to several recreational bodies of water, and the people who bitch about having nothing to do in San Antonio are bitching because they actually have to go find it. These activities are not heavily advertised and I think that is by design. I've seen what happens in Austin when a really nice, quiet park or area of the green belt gets heavy pub. A wave of trashy people come in and ruin it. 

If you are fed up with Houston and want something completely different big city experience while staying in Texas, San Antonio is your one and only option. Austin, DFW, and Houston are becoming damn near carbon copies of each other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, midtown said:

I wouldn't live in SA or anywhere in Texas for that matter if I was 25-35 and single but 40+ with kids?  It's a pretty damn good place to live. 

Pros: Cheap, best tex-mex and tacos, HEB, Whataburger, traffic. What traffic esp compared to Houston. Spurs, Fiesta, tons of golf courses, the rodeo, lakes, proximity to beach.   The lack of douches and people trying way to hard to pretend like they live NYC or LA etc is pretty low.   Airport is 15 mins away from almost everywhere.

Cons: Variety of general entertainment and restaurants.  Although on the top end we do have the best steakhouse in Texas and Weisman and Dady always seem to have something new popping up.  It's improving but at my age and with as many great restaurants I've eaten at, who cares.     And I'm more a 5-8pm laid back bar patron and Sunday funday.   If you want to go out 5 nights a week its going to get pretty old fast.   General lack of direct flights. 

In short, this.  Good way to put it with the age brackets.  We lived there for 5 years in our early 40's and loved it.  Miss it sometimes.  SA is big enough to be a big city but not so big that it's big city.  Very easy traffic and the cost of living is very low for a major city.  

Agree with all the pros and cons but I'll one thing about the airport.  Granted, not a lot of direct flights if you're flying East or international but it's VERY easy to get to.  I like how they've left it in the middle of town.  It's 10 minutes from anywhere, really.

Love me some SA.  It's a good place to live and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I lived there from 2001-2013.  It's the smallest feeling big city you'll ever be in.  That spoked wheel city design really helps get you around in a hurry, but you won't need to hurry because it feels laid back.  It's cycling friendly, if you are into that sort of thing, other than the loose dogs that you may encounter depending on where you ride.  The population is not as ethnically diverse as Houston, as educated as Austin, or as materialistic as Dallas.  It is culturally unique, and obviously proud of it's Mexican roots.  If I ever leave Austin and wanted to stay in Texas, I would certainly consider living there again.  It took an adjustment at first, but I grew to love it.   

I'm down in San Antonio frequently for work as several of my clients are active down there.  There's a lot of generic sprawl, but still more charm than a place like Dallas, and a hell of a lot more scenic.  In terms of restaurant and entertainment, it seems like it's miles ahead of where it was 10 years ago.  And I love the access to so many cool small towns in the Hill Country.  So yeah, if you had to boot me from Austin to another big city in Texas, it would be San Antonio in a heartbeat.  But right now I happily see myself in Austin for the long haul.   

Eastwood...thanks for the input. Yeah, I would need a bjj school nearby, which there are a few in that area. But that is secondary to other things such as affordable homes and good schools. 

I also think your comment about 20 something’s being lame is on point as well. 

It’s interesting to see mostly positive vibes in this thread because all my life I hear people shitting on San Antonio. Hell, I used to as well. Some of the things I hear are laced with racism, others just from people not really knowing the city. 

Most of what people think about SA is based on downtown and south.  Not that there aren't good areas south, but the bad areas can be pretty bad (revelation....just like any big fucking city).  If you live damn near anywhere north of downtown, you will be fine.  If you can move out past 1604 anywhere north, you will love it. 

The farther west you get from 281 north of 1604, the less affordable it gets. The farther east you go from 281, the more affordable it gets, generally, but the prices are fairly consistent, overall, east of 281 until you start getting closer to Judson ISD territory.

Edit: If you guys are ever in town, let me know. I can give you a quick tour of what a typical weekend would look like for a family of 4 with young kids.

Edited by Eastwood

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s interesting to see mostly positive vibes in this thread because all my life I hear people shitting on San Antonio. Hell, I used to as well. Some of the things I hear are laced with racism, others just from people not really knowing the city. 

There's probably something to that.  It's nowhere near as white as most of the other major metropolitan Texas areas.  But for me that's the beauty of it.  There's always a more authentic Texas feel in San Antonio, holding onto the older parts of our state's heritage before everything became paved over with strip centers and chain restaurants (and yes, there's still lots of that in SA).

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

all my life I hear people shitting on San Antonio.

This surprises me.  I've always seen more of the "Houston hates Dallas" and "Dallas hates Houston" dynamic.  San Antonio was where everyone wanted to visit/vacation because of the Riverwalk, food, Alamo, etc.