Let’s talk about living in San Antonio

59 minutes ago, midtown said:

I disagree.  Unless you are very in very narrow job with narrow qualifications in a very narrow industry then perhaps  But if you are decent employee and you can't find a job in one of the fastest growing cities in the US then your probably a just a marginal worker who needs 5000 positions because you are the 5000th candidate. 

Or if you're high enough up the money food chain that it's impossible to replicate by leaving your industry.  If you're making $250K at HEB, USAA, or Rackspace, good luck finding that elsewhere in SA.

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If you're making $250K at HEB, USAA, or Rackspace, good luck finding that elsewhere in SA.

Well considering I see salaries of numerous executives a year in SA through my work and see them change jobs at salaries $250k way past $1 mil a year I call BS

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Depends on their industry.....

As it does in any city not named Dallas, Houston, NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Atlanta, or SF.  Where probably 99% of all F500 HQ's are located.

Edited by midtown

2 hours ago, midtown said:

As it does in any city not named Dallas, Houston, NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Atlanta, or SF.  Where probably 99% of all F500 HQ's are located.

That's a fair point but most cities are industry centric.  I'd take an O&G job in Houston long before I took one in Austin and I'd take a tech job in Dallas or Austin long before Houston.  (Just staying the Texas markets here.)

I just always thought SA was unique because in has one large corporation for each industry.  (Most cities could be so lucky.)  They just have the one company in most of those industries.  I knew a guy who was an executive recruiter at USAA and said that was one of the pushbacks from candidates.  Certainly the case at HEB.

This is coming from someone who generally likes SA, though.  I think it's highly underrated and wouldn't mind living there again.  

47 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The one thing I know about living or visiting SA is if you get in a vehicle accident the odds are well over fifty percent the other driver has no insurance.

Dallas County is #1 at 22%

13% of the population in Bexar is uninsured.  12.5% in Travis.  but dont let that stop you.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They just have the one company in most of those industries.  I knew a guy who was an executive recruiter at USAA and said that was one of the pushbacks from candidates.  Certainly the case at HEB.

That is true which is why USAA has two campuses in Dallas.  It's definitely not the place a brand new Duke, Chicago, or Harvard grad is moving unless they have a family.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:24 AM, Dertyberd said:

Didn't see another San Antonio thread.

Taking my 9 yr old daughter on an extended weekend this week.  Last minute trip and something different as I have never been to SA either. Only plan I have so far is 

Alamo/Riverwalk

Schlitterbahn on Monday

Looking for food, Tex Mex obvi, but she's an adventurous eater and will try anything.  It doesn't have to be kid oriented, but I'm not taking her to high end steak house. Is there a farmers market worth checking out? Best tamales or local specialty? Anything that will be a memorable/unique experience for a little girl?

Bi-lingual family, her first language is Spanish if that helps get her somewhere cool.  We are both blonde haired blue eyed aryans, but mama is the Latina.  She's dying to go to Mexico, but I'm not taking her to Laredo.  

On 8/14/2018 at 8:32 AM, relapse98 said:

Be a tourist - go to Mi Tierra. She'll love it. Walk around Market Square.

Riverwalk - ride the boats. Its hokey, but I promise she'll never forget it. Maybe eat at some place on the river like Casa Rio.

Good Lord, don’t send Dertyberd or anyone else to Casa Rio. 

We moved to SA in 1974, and we made the mistake of eating at Casa Rio. I thought I didn’t like Mexican food after that crap. 

In 2017, I took the family to SA, and we ended up on the Riverwalk for supper. We were having a hard time deciding because one person became a vegan just in time for the trip, but she said that she saw one menu that had more than one option for her. You guessed it, Casa Rio. 

I gave in thinking it had to have improved in 43 years, but nope, same crap. I could find better Mexican food in any town in the Midwest than Casa Rio. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
My sister made the state spelling bee, not me

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:
I'm always surprised to see that school has an endowment of $1.24B which per student is more than Brown , Columbia, and Cornell.

That's why i refuse to give them money when they call. I'd rather give to an organization that needs it.

Grinnell College (IA) called. They only have $1,800,000,000 to cover 1,700 students. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor