ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

We keep ours at 77 during the day (78 if it’s over 98) and once we get home and settled in, we drop it 1 degree per hour until we go to bed (usually 72 at night.   Keeps it warm enough for the babies, cool enough for us, and doesn’t make the damn thing run non-stop when we turn the temp down.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, immamac said:

1.5Mwh is not cheap. Battery makes sense there. 

My neighbor and I both have similar solar setups, thought I have 2x the panels, and he uses half the power I do. He got a recent Tesla Powerbank install quote for $40k.

You would need massive annual electric bills to justify dropping $40k.

44 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

My neighbor and I both have similar solar setups, thought I have 2x the panels, and he uses half the power I do. He got a recent Tesla Powerbank install quote for $40k.

You would need massive annual electric bills to justify dropping $40k.

Power walls are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a similar setup for 1/4 the cost nowadays. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Power walls are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a similar setup for 1/4 the cost nowadays. 

Feel free to post links for a $10k install that is actually available now and won't void your solar warranty.

I can pay some guy to aggy-rig a bunch of LiPo batteries together for a few grand, but I'd get about 6 hours of whole house backup power and probably void my solar warranty.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Feel free to post links for a $10k install that is actually available now and won't void your solar warranty.

I can pay some guy to aggy-rig a bunch of LiPo batteries together for a few grand, but I'd get about 6 hours of whole house backup power and probably void my solar warranty.

https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/ x3 in a server rack and a grid tie inverter is more capacity and more potential sustained output that a power wall which is only 13.5kwh @ 9kw

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-48v-100ah/ x3 in a server rack and a grid tie inverter is more capacity and more potential sustained output that a power wall which is only 13.5kwh @ 9kw

Can these be added to supplement an existing power wall? We have an 8.8 kwh panel system with a 13.5 kwh power wall. A second power wall would be something like $12k or more here. 

Just now, utee94 said:

Holy shit all the fuckers on this thread complaining about ERCOT and also complaining about anything above 74 in the house.

It's shocking... SHOCKING I tell you... that we have energy issues.

Why cannot our grid manage the demand?  This shit wasn't happening in the 00's.  My folks in Florida don't have a problem.   

• Hook 'Em 2

When it comes to energy usage adjusted by population, Texas does considerably better in being conservation-minded. According to the EIA’s analysis of the state from January, we’re in the bottom 20 percent of states for residential energy consumption per capita. (We appear to be somewhere in the middle of the pack according to the blue map above, but this map illustrates the combined tally of residential, industrial, commercial, and transportation usage, not residential alone.)

More than half of the energy consumed in Texas is for industrial use, according to the EIA, while residential use—which in terms of sheer BTUs is the most in the nation, even as our per capita usage is relatively low—accounts for just over 13 percent. Transportation accounts for nearly a quarter, while commercial comes in slightly lower than residential.

link

Edited by Nivek
accidental quoting
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why cannot our grid manage the demand?  This shit wasn't happening in the 00's.  My folks in Florida don't have a problem.   

Lulz yeah that's the spirit.

You can complain about ERCOT, or you can complain about not wanting it above 74.

You can't do both.

Oh and if you can't handle 79 inside the house you're a gaping pussy.

Lulz yeah that's the spirit.
You can complain about ERCOT, or you can complain about not wanting it above 74.
You can't do both.
Oh and if you can't handle 79 inside the house you're a gaping pussy.

Keyboard toughguy alert! Now with moronic statements not backed up by evidence! Get yours today at Uteee.com Enter promotion code “94” for a “double dumbass on you” discount.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Keyboard toughguy alert! Now with moronic statements not backed up by evidence! Get yours today at Uteee.com Enter promotion code “94” for a “double dumbass on you” discount.

Lulz, go fuck your own face, pussy.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Holy shit all the fuckers on this thread complaining about ERCOT and also complaining about anything above 74 in the house.

It's shocking... SHOCKING I tell you... that we have energy issues.

I forgot to run vinegar through my condensate drain line a few weeks ago, and so now the AC is off while the vinegar does it work and the temp is at 81.

deitrick haddon oxygen GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If you have a shopvac just use that plus some tape to suck the line clean

Trying not to wake up the kids, but I have one and that's my last resort.  I have a 3-foot drain clog remove for hair that I use on the shower, and pulled some gunk out, got the water level down, poured in vinegar, will flush it in a few minutes, and then repeat once more.

I've done a few times before - forgot to run vinegar through regularly in the spring because I wasn't using the AC much, and then blammo, circuit trips and I have to clean the line.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trying not to wake up the kids, but I have one and that's my last resort.  I have a 3-foot drain clog remove for hair that I use on the shower, and pulled some gunk out, got the water level down, poured in vinegar, will flush it in a few minutes, and then repeat once more.

I've done a few times before - forgot to run vinegar through regularly in the spring because I wasn't using the AC much, and then blammo, circuit trips and I have to clean the line.

Yeah, been there but couldn't snake the line. This did the trick. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I just use the water hose outside to run water up the line and let it flush out. Works well and I’ve managed to never end make a mess in the attic. 

We might get rain next weekend.  *might*

ERCOT should have learned that 2021 was really just "2020 won" and that 2022 is just "2020 too" because if the dryness keeps up and the ground stays dry, that doesn't bode well for the temps in June and July, which means August is going to turbo-fuck us.

200.gif

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

You can't do both.

Actually, I can. Other states don't have these issues because they're connected to the national grid and can share power in times of need. So, yes, I can definitely complain about ERCOT and our state leaders while washing clothes and dishes and keeping my house at 72.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Actually, I can. Other states don't have these issues because they're connected to the national grid and can share power in times of need. So, yes, I can definitely complain about ERCOT and our state leaders while washing clothes and dishes and keeping my house at 72.

Cool, cool.  At least now we've found that internet badass.

74 at night, 76 during day. Upstairs at 76.  I’ve lost power for more than 1 hour, only once that I can remember in the last 9 years.  11 hours to the minute during the Feb freeze, on the last day of the rolling blackouts. I’m not near a hospital or fire station, but they sure act like we are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, Paper_jam said:

Y'all are some energy hogs. I'm doing my part at 79 F, which is tolerable with ceiling fans. Think what Jimmy Carter would want you to do.

I don't think my AC is even strong enough to keep my house at 72, on a hot day. 

Lol, fuck Jimmy Carter and you, you lizard assed prick.