ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

On 11/20/2021 at 8:07 PM, Captainant said:

This is no joke. A year ago in October I used 909KwH, and this year I used 910KwH in October (according to my bill) and yet somehow this year was $50 more than last. Every bill since this spring has been almost exactly $50 more than last year. Fucking ridiculous. 

the fee was just recently approved so I don't think the increase is related to the socialize the losses fee.

here's the fucking rub. while most of the energy companies lost 10s to 100s of million, other energy companies, namely the west gas producers got 100s of millions in profits. again, jerry jone's west texas gas company's CFO said they "hit the jackpot" when prices rose to $9,000 mwh. those are probably the same assholes whose gas lines froze.

my silly question...why the fuck not take their profits and pay off the downstream energy companies who lost 100s of million. it's a bit zero sum as the winners took money from the losers, correct? so why let the winners take the profits and make texans pay for the losses? what kind of bullshit capitalist "free market" bullshit is that?

fuck abbot, fuck the lege, and fuck you assholes who vote to keep the same asshole crooks in office year after year.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the fee was just recently approved so I don't think the increase is related to the socialize the losses fee.

here's the fucking rub. while most of the energy companies lost 10s to 100s of million, other energy companies, namely the west gas producers got 100s of millions in profits. again, jerry jone's west texas gas company's CFO said they "hit the jackpot" when prices rose to $9,000 mwh. those are probably the same assholes whose gas lines froze.

my silly question...why the fuck not take their profits and pay off the downstream energy companies who lost 100s of million. it's a bit zero sum as the winners took money from the losers, correct? so why let the winners take the profits and make texans pay for the losses? what kind of bullshit capitalist "free market" bullshit is that?

fuck abbot, fuck the lege, and fuck you assholes who vote to keep the same asshole crooks in office year after year.

dude, in an unregulated free market system for public utilities, the public should obviously be on the hook for this shit.  I mean, public is right there in the name and gets ALL the benefit that competition and capitalism bring the equation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So much wrong with this post. Jerry Jones doesn’t have a fucking West Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

dude, in an unregulated free market system for public utilities, the public should obviously be on the hook for this shit.  I mean, public is right there in the name and gets ALL the benefit that competition and capitalism bring the equation. 

the public should be on the hook for blatant negligence by the private energy companies? this shit was warned about since 2011 when we came very close to the same situation. a certain party asked for measures to insure that the very shit that happened wouldn't happen. those measures were ignored because it was all cost. that's what free market got us. there is nothing in the public interest when you privatize a utility. assholes get to keep the profits when things are running right. assholes pass the cost onto the public for their negligence when they don't do what they are supposed to fucking do.

are you actually defending this bullshit?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the public should be on the hook for blatant negligence by the private energy companies? this shit was warned about since 2011 when we came very close to the same situation. a certain party asked for measures to insure that the very shit that happened wouldn't happen. those measures were ignored because it was all cost. that's what free market got us. there is nothing in the public interest when you privatize a utility. assholes get to keep the profits when things are running right. assholes pass the cost onto the public for their negligence when they don't do what they are supposed to fucking do.

giphy.gif

On 11/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, crash_davis said:

Airlines have perfected the reap profit and socialize losses of new capitalism

• Like 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-railroad-commission-will-require-most-but-not-all-natural-gas-producers-to-weatherize/

Roughly nine months after the devastating February winter storm, the state agency that regulates natural gas is changing conditions as to which facilities must take extra precautions for extreme weather.

The Texas Railroad Commission voted Tuesday to require many, but not all, natural gas producers to weatherize facilities. 

The commissioners deemed those that are “critical” must be able to keep power on in the event of rolling blackouts. Those that are “less critical” will still be able to opt-out of weatherization and pay a $150 fee.

Commissioner Jim Wright defined “super critical” facilities as the largest ones in Texas providing more than the amount of gas Texas needs on a given day. Wright estimated the “super critical” facilities to be about 19,000 natural gas providers. 

“This group includes pipeline operators, gas processing facilities and natural gas storage infrastructure,” he said. “These leases and facilities are so important, so critical, that they will not be allowed to opt out of the rule, period.”

Decent start.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is the list available for the public to see who can and cannot opt out? And of those whom cannot opt out, what % of the gas supply does that cover? Is it enough to insure that we do not go to rolling (or non-rolling if we repeat Feb's experience) blackouts? Did anyone actually analyze the list to insure that it meets any % availability targets? I know this is public government but fuck, is it too much to expect there be some intelligence factored into decisions?

It's probably in the CR thread, but you can google it and find it if you curious, but yesterday the Texas Railroad Commission chair (who overseas/regulates the energy companies/producers) went off on a rant about wind and solar power failing Texas last February, regardless of the reports saying there were issues with generating units having problems with cold temperatures as well gas supply issues (both in terms of production as well as getting it delivered to working units). 

So I'm not too confident that the various "critical" companies will be forced into upgrading/winterizing if they don't want to.

I think I will be getting a small generator that can run a heater or two (gave our last generator to my mom in anticipating of this winter).  We we were planning on buying a new one as we ramp up our camping/trips next year, so early Christmas present.  We are close enough to multiple hospitals that in theory we would stay up again, but shit, there's so many people moving into Texas ever year...

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's probably in the CR thread, but you can google it and find it if you curious, but yesterday the Texas Railroad Commission chair (who overseas/regulates the energy companies/producers) went off on a rant about wind and solar power failing Texas last February, regardless of the reports saying there were issues with generating units having problems with cold temperatures as well gas supply issues (both in terms of production as well as getting it delivered to working units). 

So I'm not too confident that the various "critical" companies will be forced into upgrading/winterizing if they don't want to.

I think I will be getting a small generator that can run a heater or two (gave our last generator to my mom in anticipating of this winter).  We we were planning on buying a new one as we ramp up our camping/trips next year, so early Christmas present.  We are close enough to multiple hospitals that in theory we would stay up again, but shit, there's so many people moving into Texas ever year...

Generators are in short supply in Texas for obvious reasons, so I'd recommend you start searching sooner rather than later.

You can find those loud-ass open frame generators anywhere, but you mentioned camping so I'm assuming you'd prefer the more quiet, inverter-style.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Generators are in short supply in Texas for obvious reasons, so I'd recommend you start searching sooner rather than later.

You can find those loud-ass open frame generators anywhere, but you mentioned camping so I'm assuming you'd prefer the more quiet, inverter-style.

if/when another icepocalypse happens, the last thing i'm worrying about is a loud ass generator offending my no power having neighbors. when the shit hits the fan, it's every man and his heater for himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if/when another icepocalypse happens, the last thing i'm worrying about is a loud ass generator offending my no power having neighbors. when the shit hits the fan, it's every man and his heater for himself.

Yeah... that's why I specifically mentioned his interest in camping...

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

We will be traveling out of state in a few weeks - Missouri/Arkansas and coming back through Oklahoma. We may even have a relative in one of those states pick one up and we get it from them.

And we do want a quiet one.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/900-texas-power-companies-to-submit-plans-outlining-winter-readiness/

Approximately 900 power companies are set to submit winterization plans to the Public Utility Commission of Texas by end of day Wednesday, following new winterization regulations adopted in October.

The newly adopted rule requires power companies enhance their winter preparations, reliant on recommendations made a decade ago by experts and federal regulators after a 2011 storm resulted in rolling power outages.

Following companies’ submissions of winter preparedness plans, both the PUC and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas will review the reports, with inspectors expected to head out to and review power plants in December.

ERCOT will then file a public report on power plants’ compliances to the requirements by Dec. 10.

Austin Energy confirmed in an email to KXAN Wednesday it had submitted its 2021 Winter Weather Readiness Report, which denotes weatherization efforts ahead of the winter season. Preparations include:

• Reinforcing insulation
  • Improving heat tracing systems
  • Expanding size, completeness of windbreaks, which help reduce wind chill near “critical equipment”
  • Engineering, construction of temporary housing
  • Acquiring heat lamps, propane, electrical heaters and thermal blankets to provide warmth to critical equipment, as needed

In theory, if things go in the shitter again, we will at least know which companies to blame.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We will be traveling out of state in a few weeks - Missouri/Arkansas and coming back through Oklahoma. We may even have a relative in one of those states pick one up and we get it from them.

And we do want a quiet one.

They're not impossible to get or anything, but if you wait 'til the last minute, you might not get the exact make/model you want.

You could do a lot of research, and figure out your top 2 or 3, and then try to find them online and in nearby stores, but they're out.  And they might SAY they have that dual fuel 4500W Champion inverter genny with the remote electrical start at the Camping World 25 miles away from you, but when you get there, they can't actually find it in stock.  And the online stores might look like they can get it to you within a week, but then when you actually put it in your cart and start the checkout process, it shows as backordered and not arriving for 2 months.

I'm not saying this is exactly what would happen to you, I'm just saying... hey... it could happen. 

But then luckily you might still be able to find that 3500/3000 at Harbor Freight, the very last night before you needed it for RV camping at the State Fair, and things might work out.

Again, I'm just saying, that's something that MIGHT happen to a person.

Edited by utee94

This reminds me I need to do a test run on the new generator I bought a couple months ago. It's not big (TWSS), but good enough to keep a fridge, TV, computers, lamps, internet, and electric blanket (or portable window AC unit) running.

New extension cords came today, thought I'd get some heavier duty shit to run from the generator through the house just to be safe. 

Fuck ERCOT.

FWIW two of my clients that are midstream oil and gas have committed a shit ton of money towards winterization efforts. It’s not exactly cheap either, one of them is looking at $100M plus. They’re hoping for some sort of tax break or incentive, but not sure that’s in the cards.

FWIW two of my clients that are midstream oil and gas have committed a shit ton of money towards winterization efforts. It’s not exactly cheap either, one of them is looking at $100M plus. They’re hoping for some sort of tax break or incentive, but not sure that’s in the cards.

Fuck their tax break.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, Enchubben said:

Committing money for projects in Q2 or Q1? Sounds like it's a little bit late to get all of that servicing done in a month or two before we have another risk of freezing

On 11/22/2021 at 8:42 PM, crash_davis said:

Is there more to this than a cheap headline dunk?  This comment was made in CYQ1 (FYQ4) call, during a time of transient, anomalous spot price due in part to the flash winter in Texas. 

So we're [selling] little bit more in the spot market than normal. A lot of it though, we do have a big ramp-up in production going on in the first quarter. So that's part of that. You want to be conservative as you're bringing on a lot of wells because you don't have the exact timing.

And -- but I think that's paid off pretty well in both January and February because prices have been moving up. And then, obviously, this week is like hitting the jackpot as some of these incredible prices. I mean, frankly, we were able to sell -- get super-premium prices for a material amount of production anywhere from $15 an Mcf to maybe some even at $179 an Mcf. So those are the spot prices that are out there.

Prices literally peaked that day on the 17th and would drop for the following month.

His company also made no profit.  It had tallied losses for 4 of the last 5 years, and from that call onward, would incur *growing* losses of >100M net income for the subsequent 3 quarters until now. 

Someone commented their electricity bill for the same consumption last year went up by $50 (oooooh!!!).  Mine literally tripled. And we have a state-owned energy producer.  The overall energy prices, atleast in Europe, had gone almost parabolic.  There was an overdraw of (global/regional) natural gas stock in the Spring, leading to a shortage this Fall/Winter, simultaneously with a shift away from coal.  So that's the market.

There's a point to be made about infrastructure investment and robustness for the grid in Texas, but to target a producer and participant on exchange is just really cheap point scoring?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Committing money for projects in Q2 or Q1? Sounds like it's a little bit late to get all of that servicing done in a month or two before we have another risk of freezing

For the few I discussed it’s money starting to be spent in 2022 but with no specific timeline yet (or at least shared with me) Some of the projects were 6months plus, some regularly reoccurring maintenance.  Won’t be here in time for this winter season obviously, good news is that last winter storm is relatively unlikely to occur again this quickly. 

On 12/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, crash_davis said:

So when the SHTF, you’re going to loudly announce to all your neighbors and the roaming bands of looters that you are the only house around with power and a generator?  

play predictions GIF

This reminds me I need to do a test run on the new generator I bought a couple months ago. It's not big (TWSS), but good enough to keep a fridge, TV, computers, lamps, internet, and electric blanket (or portable window AC unit) running.
New extension cords came today, thought I'd get some heavier duty shit to run from the generator through the house just to be safe. 
Fuck ERCOT.

Okay, for the novice like me, what did you get? Ours could handle the fridge, WiFi, and a few lamps, but not a space heater. Y’all have convinced me to upgrade.

19 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Okay, for the novice like me, what did you get? Ours could handle the fridge, WiFi, and a few lamps, but not a space heater. Y’all have convinced me to upgrade.

Hang on to your smaller generator - when SHTF, you'll be able to trade it for somebody's wife.  Or husband, whatever rocks your boat.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cap33 said:

I went cheap and got a 2500W Westinghouse at Sam's when they were on sale a few months ago ($400ish at the time).  I'm in the same boat as you, can't run a space heater, but electric blankets only pull about 400W tops so we'll have that for warmth in the winter.  In the summer, a 8k BTU portable AC (250 sq ft) pulls about 800W, so that can at least cool the bedroom at night.

Thinking about getting a second one.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

I went cheap and got a 2500W Westinghouse at Sam's when they were on sale a few months ago ($400ish at the time).  I'm in the same boat as you, can't run a space heater, but electric blankets only pull about 400W tops so we'll have that for warmth in the winter.  In the summer, a 8k BTU portable AC (250 sq ft) pulls about 800W, so that can at least cool the bedroom at night.

Thinking about getting a second one.

These heaters only draw 1500W on high, something like 700W and 900W on low and medium. You can unplug it once hot and run something else while the oil continues to give off heat. 

044387071529.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah those oil heaters are great. We used to have one in my old RV, because the furnace was dead. It would keep the whole thing warm even when outside temps hovered around freezing.

We have a 3500W inverter-style genny  for RV camping, and it can run quite a bit at once.  It can't run your whole house of course, but it can keep some space heaters and electric blankets running.  It can also drive my 15K BTU RV air conditioner and all other electric devices in the RV during the summer, except of course you don't run the A/C and the microwave at the same time, despite my wife trying to do it every single camping trip....

Generators are getting cheaper every day, and these days the knockoff brands are fairly high quality and reliable.  It's not just limited to Honda and Yamaha anymore.

46 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I need to get a backup generator but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to bother doing the math to figure out what size I need.

Most of them will give you an idea of what it can power in your house in their specs.  Not just BTUs, but real world values like heating 2 150 sqft rooms and powering a fridge and freezer or some shit like that.