These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

20 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I did not know that.
Sounds like 2 Marshalls are in order.

Or you can get both Fender/Marshall in one.  Satisfy my amp lust and get this one:

Though, I gotta say, I really am not a fan of Soldano's cabinet and giant name on the front.  I'd likely just move the amp to another cab until it was time to sell.

That's a killer amp, and out of my budget.

I was gonna do the Plexi-Super thing because it sounds incredible in our space but decided I didnt want to drag 2 big ass amps around. Then I noticed the guy in one of my favorite bands was doing the same thing with a JCM800-Super pairing. Now I just feel lazy for not doing it.

Or you can get both Fender/Marshall in one.  Satisfy my amp lust and get this one:
Though, I gotta say, I really am not a fan of Soldano's cabinet and giant name on the front.  I'd likely just move the amp to another cab until it was time to sell.

I’ve been drooling over that video for years. They are expensive and almost nonexistent in the used marketplace.
  • Like 1

In a very similar vein, I was trying to figure out what Marcus King's rig looks like.  Turns it's very similar to what we've been discussing here.  A Super for cleans, and Orange for dirty.  Sounded great.  

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rig-tour-marcus-king

vEmryMpjxDt8pvSEy4QvNZ-650-80.jpg

29q2rvsNMjPX8ZTow2zeUZ-650-80.jpg

After hauling all that around, you'd think that fella would be in better shape. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:59 AM, Buzzrock said:

I’ve been drooling over that video for years. They are expensive and almost nonexistent in the used marketplace.

If you’re looking for an amp that will do Marshall-ish crunch and Fender-ish cleans, check out the Mesa Royal Atlantic.  It’s a big motherfucker, but has a 50 W mode and a step-down attenuator.

Anyone using amp modeling software?  I've been using guitar -> interface -> DAW with PositiveGrid's Bias FX 2 (plugin version) for recording and have been really happy with the tones I can get.  This might be sacrilege, but I'm tempted to get a midi footstomp board and try using it direct to PA live.  When I jam, I'd rather plugin into my Vox AC30 with pedals, but this is not far off and would be a lot easier than lugging amps and pedals around.

They have a free demo version that can be downloaded and tried out if anyone is interested.

Edited by Goredho

Not much. It's hard moving cheapish solid state modeling amps for much. Your best bet is waiting for Guitar Center to have their trade in sales where they give you a bigger percentage off your purchase with a trade in. Haggle them down to a good price, then mention you have a trade in and get the extra percentage off.

Edited by Deej

23 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

The Katana might be the single most popular amp right now but the Mark II has caused a flood of upgraders.

Deej's advice sounds awesome if you can swing it.

It works. Get the usual 15% off the top, then the extra 15% off for the trade, plus the price paid for the trade. You should be able to walk out with the Mark II for a decent price.

Edited by Deej

Nope. Compared only the cleans since not all have a dirt side and I do that with pedals anyway.

Went like this:

Dual Showman (by a good margin)

Boogie

Super

Pro

Classic

VHT

The surprise was that the Boogie cleans beat two of the vintage Fenders. That thing has so much depth and character it makes the Super and the Pro sound kind of flat in comparison. I wasn’t expecting that. Really impressive for a $400 find.

The classic is a great amp for what it is, but not quite to those levels. Same with the VHT. Nice amp but doesn’t quite hang in the a/b test. The dirt side of the classic however is probably it’s best feature in fairness.

The dual is on a whole different level. My tech guy says it has an unusually strong output transformer, which he says some twins and duals have, and he claims that makes the difference. So loud though. We need to book a gig at sun devil stadium

I dont think that's going out on a limb too much, anyway. I believe a modded SLO was already his number one amp when he died. Mike's a bona fide tone witch and he's the one that modified it. He and Stevie were pretty close. (Warren Haynes, among others, has used an SLO as his main amp to great effect since around this time.)

It's a shame that Soldano got so associated with hair metal acts in the late 80s, because the SLO 100 deserves to be in a top 10 amps of all time list.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I dont think that's going out on a limb too much, anyway. I believe a modded SLO was already his number one amp when he died. Mike's a bona fide tone witch and he's the one that modified it. He and Stevie were pretty close. (Warren Haynes, among others, has used an SLO as his main amp to great effect since around this time.)

It's a shame that Soldano got so associated with hair metal acts in the late 80s, because the SLO 100 deserves to be in a top 10 amps of all time list.

Thanks.  I had no idea about this and I was a bonafide SRV freak at the time.  Pre internet though and I lived in the sticks, so limited access to info.

• Like 1

Nope. Compared only the cleans since not all have a dirt side and I do that with pedals anyway.

Went like this:
Dual Showman (by a good margin)
Boogie
Super
Pro
Classic
VHT

The surprise was that the Boogie cleans beat two of the vintage Fenders. That thing has so much depth and character it makes the Super and the Pro sound kind of flat in comparison. I wasn’t expecting that. Really impressive for a $400 find.

The classic is a great amp for what it is, but not quite to those levels. Same with the VHT. Nice amp but doesn’t quite hang in the a/b test. The dirt side of the classic however is probably it’s best feature in fairness.

The dual is on a whole different level. My tech guy says it has an unusually strong output transformer, which he says some twins and duals have, and he claims that makes the difference. So loud though. We need to book a gig at sun devil stadium

You cheated, you didn’t tell us clean channel only. But I’m still surprised to see the Boogie so far up the list. That’s cool.

You cheated, you didn’t tell us clean channel only. But I’m still surprised to see the Boogie so far up the list. That’s cool.

I was too.

Someone mentioned the Royal Atlantic earlier. Looking at those uncovered previously forgotten info on the beast they called the ElectraDyne. This review makes it sound like the most perfect amp ever. Now I’m jonesing. It really is a sickness:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Mesa_Boogie_Electra_Dyne_Head_Review

Good news.  I'm expecting.  And it's another tweed.

I just pulled the trigger on a build from Jim at Lil Dawg amps for a 5f10 Harvard 1x12 combo (with the option to drop a 10" speaker in there with a ring from Mojo if I decide to try that).  Great guy and purportedly a great amp builder.  I resisted the upcharge options on transformers and capacitors apart from the Weber 12a125 30 watt speaker.  Bone stock Harvard Circuit.  Should have it in about 3 weeks or so.  Looking forward to pictures of the process, which I will post like a proud Papa.  This is the last one, I promise.  I'm getting amp snipped.  This is my fifth tweed, which have my 73 DR properly surrounded.

• Like 2