These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

3 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Cool amp deej, look fwd to your impression...

Well, after a quick 30 minutes with it, I think I am really going to like it. It gets loud. Glad it has a master volume. Have the volume knob just past 12 o'clock, and with the Tele turned all the way up on the 5th position of the 5 way switch, it's shaking things, and is raunchy in the right way. She can be a dirty little girl. Roll back on the guitar volume and it has really nice cleans, and it can hit really nice edge of breakup tones in between. Definitely some Page tones to be had from this thing. The bass, mid, and treble knobs actually do shit when you move them in small increments. I am also impressed with the reverb, considering how short the tank is. Not as lush as my Princeton, but really sounds good. 

This could end up being the favorite of my Supros.

I need more 6L6 amps, methinks. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, I don't have a Page-style one. I've got the Supreme, which is based on Keef's Oahu, and the Thunderbolt reissue (which runs two 6L6's and switches between 35 Class A watts and 60 watts A/B.

This one is a single-ended Class A running a 6L6 in the power section and a 12ax7 in the preamp, supposedly pushing 15 watts. 

Edited by Deej

The only negatives are that i dont like how they buried the back panel connections (Fx loop, external speaker jacks, etc) so that you have to lay it on its face to access them, and I wish there were a standby switch. I dont think I've owned an amp without a standby and i dont know what to do when changing guitars or taking a break. [/img]

Awesome amp! Congrats.

No need for a standby switch. And apart from testing shit at the board level, there's no reason for a guitar amp to have a standby switch and there never was. There are safer ways to mute your amp without hot switching those bajillion volts.

Standby switches are vestigial remnants of a design by a genius who liked to open up and monkey with the innards of his own amps impulsively - A guitarist should never need to drop the circuit into "standby."

I realize we are guitarists and thus slaves to tradition, but I would suggest you worry more about which shop you intend to take your new amp to to have a wicked relic'ing job done to it. Spring for the coffee rings. You'll be glad you did.
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Shit.  Just realized I posted that Evel guitar in the amp thread.  Apologies all around.  Let's clear the palate, shall we?

What should Chad get himself for Christmas?

I really want this:

gkkvhd96fy3yiokw77bt.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/29289962-fender-pro-amp-1957-tweed-1-15-pedal-steel-tom-brumley

Though this seems to be a more practical deal, though without the cache of having someone of note play it:

w0zj5vvrefyflbywrqiq.jpghttps://reverb.com/item/6375128-fender-custom-57-pro-26w-2-channel-1x15-tube-guitar-combo-amplifier

But this one seems to be the best all around deal.  

st9yvy0vugwclyh33hbd.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/30053302-fender-steel-king-200-watt-1x15-solid-state-guitar-combo-2004-2008

The primary instrument will be something along the lines of this (I've posted in the guitar thread before, but don't have a pic handy):

1958-Fender-Model-400-8-String-Pedal-Ste

Hmm.  Decisions.

Get the Custom Shop Pro.  I have the low power twin from the Fender CS, and it's a really well made amp.

Or, if you're buying new anyway, order a clone from Jim, customized for exactly what you want for probably $1,000 less.

https://www.littledawgamps.com/the-prodawg/

• 2 weeks later...

Origin 50 sounded great its first practice with the bass and drums. The tone knobs are more sensitive than on the Plexi and it took a bit to dial them in, but I think I found a nice spot. Full power with the Gain dimed and Master about 11 O'Clock is still plenty loud, but not as ear splitting as it's big sister. Cranking the Master beyond that makes it crunchier and a little louder, but at the expense of headroom. I don't think I'd ever want it past about 1 O'Clock

Oh, drummer got me one of those Stew Mac rubber guitar rests to sets on top of it for Christmas. The things actually pretty sturdy.

4aafc3f357c05df1c63738d29dfc31e9.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Trying to get back into the music threads this year. Forgive me if already posted but has anyone ever tried one of these for practice?

4955e9aabce235dc99fd35af9684f28c.jpg

Someone here bought the preorder.  Sounds like it’s had a lot of delays.  I use Bias FX2 as a plugin for recording and like it.  It’s the same modeling engine as in the spark.  They have a free demo download of Bias FX2 if you have an interface and want to get a feel for the tone you might expect.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Trying to get back into the music threads this year. Forgive me if already posted but has anyone ever tried one of these for practice?

4955e9aabce235dc99fd35af9684f28c.jpg

Also, I saw it made best of NAMM in the amp category in a couple publications.  So I don’t think it’s vaporware, but if you order today you might not get it for 6 months.  The first people that bought the preorder before the holidays are just now receiving them so they have a backlog to fill.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I think I might have found the holy grail emoji41.png

c5c5ba28b04cfcf126e44084c7190313.jpg

Straight up Fender Twin without the harsh highs on the clean side. Hot Rod Marshall with a little bit of Boogie smoothness on the dirt side. Dynamics are amazing. Just a fantastic amp.

I have the Royal Atlantic, which is in the same line of Mesas.  I freaking love it.  Probably my second favorite cleans of all my amps (only the PR clone beats it) and tremendous high-gain crunch.  Only problem is it’s too damn heavy to move it around and it has like 11 or 13 tubes or some crazy shit.  

• Like 1

I have the Royal Atlantic, which is in the same line of Mesas.  I freaking love it.  Probably my second favorite cleans of all my amps (only the PR clone beats it) and tremendous high-gain crunch.  Only problem is it’s too damn heavy to move it around and it has like 11 or 13 tubes or some crazy shit.  

I remember you mentioning that. I actually think it might have been you that got me thinking about these. I loved the idea of a Boogie version of a twin and a Marshall in the same amp. Knew immediately it would sound fantastic. I went with the older Electradyne because it’s simpler to operate (less knobs) and cheaper.

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I remember you mentioning that. I actually think it might have been you that got me thinking about these. I loved the idea of a Boogie version of a twin and a Marshall in the same amp. Knew immediately it would sound fantastic. I went with the older Electradyne because it’s simpler to operate (less knobs) and cheaper.

A lot of folks prefer the ED for tonal reasons, too.    I like the brightness of the RA, but I have more tolerance for mids and highs than most.  Most people would choose the ED because it’s warmer with more low end.

22 hours ago, Goredho said:

Also, I saw it made best of NAMM in the amp category in a couple publications.  So I don’t think it’s vaporware, but if you order today you might not get it for 6 months.  The first people that bought the preorder before the holidays are just now receiving them so they have a backlog to fill.

I bought one as a "power supporter."  I just got an email that they should ship it by the end of Feb.  We'll see.

• Like 2

Just now, tigol said:

I bought one as a "power supporter."  I just got an email that they should ship it by the end of Feb.  We'll see.

Yeah, there’s a Spark FB group where people have posted their received amps in the past week or so.  Just a lot of “love it so far!” type of reactions vs real critical opinions after playing with it a while.  I’m intrigued by it as a practice amp and learning tool, so would love to hear your thoughts when you receive it and get a chance to play with its features a bit.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, there’s a Spark FB group where people have posted their received amps in the past week or so.  Just a lot of “love it so far!” type of reactions vs real critical opinions after playing with it a while.  I’m intrigued by it as a practice amp and learning tool, so would love to hear your thoughts when you receive it and get a chance to play with its features a bit.

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  I'm a beginner, so I bought it to learn.  I'll keep you all posted when it gets here.

• Like 1

Taking a cue from Mr. Isbell’s recent video, I pushed everything to the right on my Bassbreaker and plugged in my G&L Tele with the Les Paul humbuckers. My notes:

1. The family couldn’t hear me in their upstairs bedrooms. That’s good.

2. I don’t appear to be as good as Mr. Isbell.

3. I should do that more often.

• Like 3