These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

On 12/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Deej said:

Well, after a quick 30 minutes with it, I think I am really going to like it. It gets loud. Glad it has a master volume. Have the volume knob just past 12 o'clock, and with the Tele turned all the way up on the 5th position of the 5 way switch, it's shaking things, and is raunchy in the right way. She can be a dirty little girl. Roll back on the guitar volume and it has really nice cleans, and it can hit really nice edge of breakup tones in between. Definitely some Page tones to be had from this thing. The bass, mid, and treble knobs actually do shit when you move them in small increments. I am also impressed with the reverb, considering how short the tank is. Not as lush as my Princeton, but really sounds good. 

This could end up being the favorite of my Supros.

I need more 6L6 amps, methinks. 

Deej, I have a couple old photos I need to dig up and scan. Old pics of a 1952 ES-175 I got, in a couple of them you can see grandpa plugged in to an old Supro Valco.  Took me a few searches to figure out what it was.  Looks like this one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Fantastic

Yeah I got a real kick out of seeing those for the first time.  My wife has that fiddle that Uncle Nolan was playing in those pics.  I didn’t meet any of those folks until 30 years after the pics were taken.  Amazing that we still have the instruments in good shape.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What do those sound like?

The Ric (the black one) sounds like thick , saturated rock and roll heaven when cranked. Nice bluesy tones when turned down, but running hot with some nice PAF style humbuckers, it'll get you where you want to go. 

The tweed is much cleaner. Runs a singl 6V6, as opposed to the pair in the Ric. Usually run a boost pedal in front of that tweed to get some grind.

Have a pair of 50's Tung Sols in that Ric.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

What would you take for them? 

Not sure, I have newer replacements for the super amp, but it needs a new power supply.  I wouldn’t get rid of them until I got it back in shape to see how the sound compares.  You got a guy in Austin that you’d trust with working on an old classic?

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Any idea where the pics were taken? Must be summer with everyone outside? Perhaps a Sunday afternoon since all are fairly dressed up. No one is headed out to the barn in those clothes.

That was at my wife’s grandparents house, 1955.  Her dad was 9.  He was actually a musician, got a music degree from UH of all places,  was a band director at various schools around the El Campo area for years.  

• Like 1

I got an email about my Spark.  More delays.  That's fine.  They included a link to download Bias FX software for free due to the delays.  I thought that was really cool!  I downloaded it on my Mac.  I'm running Catalina and it should be compatible.  It's not.  There are troubleshooting guides to delete certain files here and there, etc.  Whatever.  I bought a mac so that I wouldn't have to deal with that shit all of the time.  It reminded me of my pc woes.  

In troubleshooting, I found that I needed an audio interface between the computer and the guitar.  So, I spent more money and bought this:  Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools.

I still don't have the bias software up and running.  The Scarlett seems cool and I finally have audio in my headphones from my guitar as well as my computer.

If anyone has some tips, please let me know.

A lot of folks prefer the ED for tonal reasons, too.    I like the brightness of the RA, but I have more tolerance for mids and highs than most.  Most people would choose the ED because it’s warmer with more low end.

In the band setting I could really tell the lack of highs. Pretty much had the treble and presence cranked. But it worked great. Very smooth.

The other band members were giving it the thumbs up. Which is always a good indicator.

I have now owned three Mesa boogies and all three were outstanding. Might be time to just admit I’m a Mesa guy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Any of you Katana people run an acoustic through it?

I saw a guy playing out while back running his acoustic through a Helix floor pedal. Sounded pretty good.

I’ve plugged my acoustics into mine but only briefly. Happy to experiment more if there’s something you’re interested in knowing.

19 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Electradyne is the one I bought. Discussed above.

A newer version is the Royal Atlantic I think.

Yep.  I have an RA.  It has a nice Fender-ish clean channel and an overdrive channel with two gain modes.  The high gain mode is outstanding for metal.  

My overall summary would be that if you want a single jack-of-all-trades amp, it’s a great option.  But I have a better amp for cleans (a PR clone) and better amps for moderately-distorted blues rock.  That said, the RA is my favorite amp for high gain metal tones, although that might be because I don’t own a Mark series amp.  And I haven’t sent another amp that does everything the RA does as well as the RA does.

Yep.  I have an RA.  It has a nice Fender-ish clean channel and an overdrive channel with two gain modes.  The high gain mode is outstanding for metal.  
My overall summary would be that if you want a single jack-of-all-trades amp, it’s a great option.  But I have a better amp for cleans (a PR clone) and better amps for moderately-distorted blues rock.  That said, the RA is my favorite amp for high gain metal tones, although that might be because I don’t own a Mark series amp.  And I haven’t sent another amp that does everything the RA does as well as the RA does.

Which amp is that? I have a vintage Princeton Reverb for cleans but for dirt I’d like to pair it with something else. Maybe an Orange. I don’t really play metal. Classic rock/blues/country is where I am.

Chad, I'm really happy with the dirt on that Marshall Origin 50 I picked up recently, you might look into the Origin 20 to match with a PR. Really open, transparent, natural sounding breakup.

I might be picking up a Mesa Dual Rectifier head soon. I have no use for it as of now, but who knows in the future.

• Like 2

Chad, I'm really happy with the dirt on that Marshall Origin 50 I picked up recently, you might look into the Origin 20 to match with a PR. Really open, transparent, natural sounding breakup.

I might be picking up a Mesa Dual Rectifier head soon. I have no use for it as of now, but who knows in the future.

You should. It’s what you want to do.
  • Like 1