These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Which amp is that? I have a vintage Princeton Reverb for cleans but for dirt I’d like to pair it with something else. Maybe an Orange. I don’t really play metal. Classic rock/blues/country is where I am.

In that case, I’d get some kind of Marshall.  My personal fave is that 18 Watt model.  But that’s really only available as a clone.  

Or you could go with a class A low wattage amp, of the Fender tweed variety.  There are a lot of reasonably priced boutique options for those.

Edited by BrickHorn

Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone got any experience with JBL IRX-112BT powered PA speakers?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IRX112BT--jbl-irx-112bt-powered-12-inch-portable-speaker-with-bluetooth

Edit:  Or maybe the similar 10" or 15" versions?

I looked at those and the EV. Couldn't pull the trigger on the QSC but will some day. Went with the EVs over the JBLs. Just liked the sound a little better over the JBL. But it was close.

• Like 1

Just now, hullabelew said:
1 hour ago, Goredho said:
Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone got any experience with JBL IRX-112BT powered PA speakers?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IRX112BT--jbl-irx-112bt-powered-12-inch-portable-speaker-with-bluetooth

Edit:  Or maybe the similar 10" or 15" versions?

I looked at those and the EV. Couldn't pull the trigger on the QSC bit will some day. Went with the EVs over the JBLs. Just liked the sound a little better over the JBL. But it was close.

Thanks.

In that case, I’d get some kind of Marshall.  My personal fave is that 18 Watt model.  But that’s really only available as a clone.  
Or you could go with a class A low wattage amp, of the Fender tweed variety.  There are a lot of reasonably priced boutique options for those.

Or just stick a good MIB pedal in front of the clean amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for this thread, but didn't find it. Thanks to hullabelew, now I know it exists.

Wondering if this would be a good starter kit for someone just learning to play the guitar? or if I need to go bigger?

dicbgyb5nulfps6di7xa.jpg

Actually, I'm looking at the BOSS KATANA 50, because it has plenty of sounds to play around with for starters and I would save on pedals at the start.

ktn-50_D_gal.jpg

I've got a 20% OFF Discount that I can use at Musician's Friend that will take the $229.99 down to $184 pre-tax and with Free shipping.

FEATURES
  • Stage-ready 50-watt combo amp with a custom 12-inch speaker
  • Tube Logic design approach produces class-defying power, authoritative punch, and cutting presence
  • Five unique amp characters (Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown, and Acoustic), plus newly voiced variations for each
  • Five independent effects sections (Booster, Mod, FX, Delay, and Reverb), with three selectable variations in each
  • Dedicated Pedal FX for foot-controlled wah and pedal bend
  • Updated BOSS Tone Studio software for customizing your sound with over 60 different BOSS effects, channel and global EQs, adjustable routing, and much more
  • Power Amp In for preamps, modelers, and multi-effects
  • Four Tone Setting memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
  • Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and response at low volumes
  • Three Cab Resonance options (Vintage, Modern, and Deep), selectable in BOSS Tone Studio
  • Mic’d cabinet emulation on the USB and phones/recording outputs, with three Air Feel settings available in BOSS Tone Studio
  • Rear-panel connections for up to two footswitches or an expression pedal 
  • Pro setups available at BOSS Tone Central
  • Like 1

On the "go bigger" question, I think that Katana is a great starting point.   I have a buddy who was just learning to play the guitar at the age of 40.   So he orders a Strat from Fender.  When he was going amp shopping, I told him to ask what they suggest, and then go one or two steps down from there.  He needed a Champ or a Blues Jr at the MOST.  Dude lives in a condo.  He shows up at my house with a fucking Hot Rod Deluxe.  Thing is louder than fuck and very, very bright.    I sat in on a New Years Eve show with some guys with his Strat and that amp and it was too loud for that set up.  I told him to take it back and get a Blues Jr.  He comes back with a Deluxe Reverb which he NEVER plays because it is still too loud for his living situation.  

I dig that setup Buzz.  When this shit is over with, we need to go grab a cocktail and support our local bartenders.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 3

Ironically, my two most unusably loud amps are the lowest wattage.  My Swart is a 5 Watt motherfucker.  It sounds great but is LOUD.  The Class 5 is too loud on the full power setting.  

I get great tone at lower volumes out of higher wattage amps like my AC15 and Royal Atlantic (thanks to the on-board attenuator).  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

OK.  I need to replace the speaker in my 65 DR.  I had a list at one time of my top picks from this thread, but I can't find it on my Sweetwater or Amazon lists. 

So, what say you boys and girls?    

I’ve looked at replacement speakers quite a bit for my 64 DR. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but these are my top two...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GA-SC64--eminence-ga-sc64-signature-12-inch-guitar-speaker

https://www.tedweber.com/12f150

On the "go bigger" question, I think that Katana is a great starting point.   I have a buddy who was just learning to play the guitar at the age of 40.   So he orders a Strat from Fender.  When he was going amp shopping, I told him to ask what they suggest, and then go one or two steps down from there.  He needed a Champ or a Blues Jr at the MOST.  Dude lives in a condo.  He shows up at my house with a fucking Hot Rod Deluxe.  Thing is louder than fuck and very, very bright.    I sat in on a New Years Eve show with some guys with his Strat and that amp and it was too loud for that set up.  I told him to take it back and get a Blues Jr.  He comes back with a Deluxe Reverb which he NEVER plays because it is still too loud for his living situation.  
I dig that setup Buzz.  When this shit is over with, we need to go grab a cocktail and support our local bartenders.  

That will be a glorious day my friend.

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

OK.  I need to replace the speaker in my 65 DR.  I had a list at one time of my top picks from this thread, but I can't find it on my Sweetwater or Amazon lists. 

So, what say you boys and girls?    

Might I suggest you take this opportunity to stop fuckin' around:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G10Gold8--celestion-g10-gold-10-inch-40-watt-alnico-replacement-guitar-speaker-8-ohm

Seagull SWS series and Yamaha Red label can get you all solid wood and great sound at that price point. You do probably sacrifice some laminated beauty for it, but worth in IMO. 

Wait this is the amp thread... are we talking acoustic amps?  No clue there...

Edited by topochico

I put Warehouses in my Pro Reverb. They are damn good.

There are so many good speakers out there these days. Kind of hard to go wrong.
Warehouse. Couldn't remember that name. That and the first one Foggy posted were the two I had it narrowed down to. Came remember which Warehouse I liked bit I have a starting place now. Thanks

Blinged the Katana a bit. It was easier than I thought it would be. Inspired, I looked at maybe doing something similar with a Marshall or two but hell no, those grill assemblies were designed by human-hating demons.
588c8fe5b6f321666174ffe369db4bdc.jpg

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 5

On 4/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, dcbc said:

As far as speakers go, if you can find a late 1960s C12N for not stupid money, get it.  It will blow you away.

For reproduction, I'd be looking at Eminence GA-SC64, Jupiter 12LC, or the old reliable Weber 12F150.

Do you have any experience with the Eminence or the Weber? Or just any thoughts on the two? As I mentioned above, I haven’t been able to decide between the two. I do like that the Weber can be custom ordered in different basket colors, dust caps and doping levels. But I’ve never heard either speaker in real life, only in videos. 

I’m torn between a new guitar or amp
I have a mesa single rec head with a Marshall 1960a cab

also I have a fender 2x12 hot rod deville. 

what kinda Marshall should I get or orange. 
Or anything I should research? 

I play anything from deftones to blues. So a multi purpose would be good. 

I’m torn between a new guitar or amp
I have a mesa single rec head with a Marshall 1960a cab
also I have a fender 2x12 hot rod deville. 

what kinda Marshall should I get or orange. 
Or anything I should research? 
I play anything from deftones to blues. So a multi purpose would be good. 

If you really want something versatile I’d look at the Mesa Mark V 35.

5 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Do you have any experience with the Eminence or the Weber? Or just any thoughts on the two? As I mentioned above, I haven’t been able to decide between the two. I do like that the Weber can be custom ordered in different basket colors, dust caps and doping levels. But I’ve never heard either speaker in real life, only in videos. 

I had the Weber 12F150 in my 73 DR for the better part of a year.  It's a fine speaker.  The only thing that replaced it was the vintage 1968 C12N that is in there now.  The Weber is really robust and loud.  Weber also offers free break in service.  I have alnico Webers (or eminence by Weber) in all 5 of my tweed amps.

I had a Jupiter in my 75 Princeton Reverb.  These are made by warehouse, but they have the fit and finish of an old school speaker.

I have no experience with the GA Emi, but it has quite a reputation.

Forgive the ham fisted noddling, but this is the 1968 Jensen in the 73 DR.  It has a reedines that I never have heard from a modern speaker.  I have four of them.  They spent many years absorbing tobacco smoke in a small Houston music store (and probably elsewhere) to achieve this lovely tone.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

Every once in a while, I start thinking maybe I have too many tweed amps, and my eyes invariably get fixed on my Clark Penrose (5f4 Super Clone).  The thing is an absolute work of art with no detail ignored.  But I've never felt it just sing.  In fact, I've had moments where I thought it was kind of dull sounding.  Well, tonight, things changed.  And it's been my fault.  But I gave it a bit of a perfect storm tonight and it just sang! 

I don't think the formula with this amp is any secret.  Normal channel.  Vol. at 4 or 5.  Get the treble knob up over 6 (out of 12).  From there, it becomes a grit knob.  Bring in the bass, depending on the guitar.  Then, dial in the presence.  Also, for this run, I was using a Les Paul Traditional with the 59 tribute pickups.  I think the combination of the humbuckers and getting that treble knob over half way was the trick.  No more dull, sterile sound, feeling like I really have to dig in to feel it.  I think it might even work with the tele afterall.  Just needs more tone knobs.

Every one of these tweeds is a totally different animal as far as getting them dialed in.  

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This 64 Super is up for sale on the North Texas Guitar Trader FB page for $2750. I have zero need for such an amp but it is so clean and petty.

73c7fdcdfbfa40dbe2d85b5d161c6a0f.jpg

One of you guys should grab it.

I'll bet it sounds unreal, but in Philadelphia, it's worth . . . . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

There was a 66 in the local GC here forever for 1700

I've seen early 70s silver face Super Reverbs (no master volume) with the CTS alnico speakers for around $800  Those were very tempting, but very hard to sell these days if I wanted to. 

I have too many amps as it is, including a 4x10 and a 2x12.  So I'm not discriminating. :)

I've seen early 70s silver face Super Reverbs (no master volume) with the CTS alnico speakers for around $800  Those were very tempting, but very hard to sell these days if I wanted to. 
I have too many amps as it is, including a 4x10 and a 2x12.  So I'm not discriminating. :)

6122d616e7698eccef618e69afdab50c.jpg

• Like 1