These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

42 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Also I’m gonna write a album in my basement. I got covid and am down here till 3/17. Maybe that’s what I’ll call the album.. “down till 3/17”

Get well soon my friend.  My BiL got it and bought a case of White Claw and just drank his face off and watched movies.  It worked for him, but he's a massive alcoholic, so I think your idea of writing a record is a lot more productive and positive.  So kudos to you.  I'm waiting to hear updates. 

26 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Which Orange is that?  

BTW - I'm on the lookout for that bass.  I really dig the PJ set up in the vintage P style body.  

Crush Bass 50. I picked it up on the cheap via CL. I am not a huge amp aficionado, but it has been amazing for me. Fender Rumble has been put in timeout ever since.

Regarding the bass, can't recommend it enough. The Custom Shop 60's in it are really punchy but not excessively hot.  I got lucky and bought at peak pandemic shut down from a store in NY that was needing to clear some gear. I was worried about how comfortable the slab body would be, but it has been fantastic. Comfortable and surprisingly light. 

There is an overpriced used one on Reverb now and Wildwood has these as a special edition that I think Fender produced for them.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/LE05391/american-thin-skin-roasted-telecaster-bass-57/?cat_id=230

They have been there a while and they may be willing to cut a deal. They are satin finish rather than gloss nitro. 

The thin skin nitro is pretty delicate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, topochico said:

Crush Bass 50. I picked it up on the cheap via CL. I am not a huge amp aficionado, but it has been amazing for me. Fender Rumble has been put in timeout ever since.

Regarding the bass, can't recommend it enough. The Custom Shop 60's in it are really punchy but not excessively hot.  I got lucky and bought at peak pandemic shut down from a store in NY that was needing to clear some gear. I was worried about how comfortable the slab body would be, but it has been fantastic. Comfortable and surprisingly light. 

There is an overpriced used one on Reverb now and Wildwood has these as a special edition that I think Fender produced for them.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/LE05391/american-thin-skin-roasted-telecaster-bass-57/?cat_id=230

They have been there a while and they may be willing to cut a deal. They are satin finish rather than gloss nitro. 

The thin skin nitro is pretty delicate. 

Yeah, I have a watch set up for that bass on Reverb, and it seems a little pricey of late.  I'm in no hurry so I can wait until the right one comes along.

Good info on the amp.  My Dad has a Rumble 50 and I was super impressed with it as far as the sound you get out of a relatively inexpensive and light package.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the Orange.  I've always wanted one just because they're so different.  

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, I have a watch set up for that bass on Reverb, and it seems a little pricey of late.  I'm in no hurry so I can wait until the right one comes along.

Good info on the amp.  My Dad has a Rumble 50 and I was super impressed with it as far as the sound you get out of a relatively inexpensive and light package.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the Orange.  I've always wanted one just because they're so different.  

I'm driving to Colorado on the 19th, if Wildwood decides to open their showroom back up, I am defiantly gonna window shop. Feel free to wheel and deal with them over the phone. They have 4 of them, they must be ready to let them go by now. I can bring one back for you to DFW the following week...

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, topochico said:

I'm driving to Colorado on the 19th, if Wildwood decides to open their showroom back up, I am defiantly gonna window shop. Feel free to wheel and deal with them over the phone. They have 4 of them, they must be ready to let them go by now. I can bring one back for you to DFW the following week...

You're such a sweet talker.  That's very tempting, but I have to admit I'm partial to the butterscotch.  Plus I have a bid in on a nice flametop LP that my guitar money is committed to right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

You guys always push me to buy. You push me just over the line. Like “bogeywon just buy it the wife won’t be mad” 

Honey, I don’t even remember ordering this.... I must have done it in a fit of COVID delirium. Thankfully, I survived that dreaded disease though. I’ll be in the basement if you need me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

You guys always push me to buy. You push me just over the line. Like “bogeywon just buy it the wife won’t be mad” 

My view on wife guitar angst:  She’s going to be pissed off at me about something anyway, so I might as well earn it and get something I enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I need help. My 26 year old Marshall solid state shit the bed and I want a new amp head anyway.

I want tubes. Two channels that can do nice cleans, crunch, and hard rock distortion. Prefer to have reverb on board. Want a modern cab simulator out for noiseless recording. Want to be able to reduce the wattage.

Also prefer to spend under $1000, but this will be my forever amp so I’ll listen to more expensive ideas.

Whatcer i get can run through my Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet. 

Just now, NoRagrets said:

I need help. My 26 year old Marshall solid state shit the bed and I want a new amp head anyway.

I want tubes. Two channels that can do nice cleans, crunch, and hard rock distortion. Prefer to have reverb on board. Want a modern cab simulator out for noiseless recording. Want to be able to reduce the wattage.

Also prefer to spend under $1000, but this will be my forever amp so I’ll listen to more expensive ideas.

My research has yielded these so far:

pravey classic 20, egnater 30. Vox 15, HK 20 tubemeister, black star club mk50, orange dual terror 30, and a marshall dsl.

Just now, NoRagrets said:

My research has yielded these so far:

pravey classic 20, egnater 30. Vox 15, HK 20 tubemeister, black star club mk50, orange dual terror 30, and a marshall dsl.

Also the orange solid state 120 gets great reviews and is really cheap. My fear is that it won’t sound warm enough when recording.

Also note my style varies a lot depending on the song I’m asked to play lead on. Very little metal, but lots of crunch and hard driving rock.

Personally I am not a fan of Marshall dsls. They sound fizzy to me.

If I were I your shoes I’d go used. You’ll get a much better amp for your money that way.

Something like this will be way better amp than a new one under $1,000

https://reverb.com/item/30150651-mesa-boogie-express-5-25-2-channel-all-tube-guitar-amp-head?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=30150651

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Personally I am not a fan of Marshall dsls. They sound fizzy to me.

If I were I your shoes I’d go used. You’ll get a much better amp for your money that way.

Something like this will be way better amp than a new one under $1,000

https://reverb.com/item/30150651-mesa-boogie-express-5-25-2-channel-all-tube-guitar-amp-head?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=30150651

Fizzy was fixed with a 5751 tube in the V1 of mine. $18 fix. And really was only fizzy with the gain completely cranked. Now I can go to 11 without hitting that spot. 

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s good to know. I bought a dsl 40 off of reverb awhile back and couldn’t get any sound out of it I liked. Sold it a week later.

I run 5751's in almost all my amps now. I bought a bunch of NOS JAN Philips ones when they were $16 a pop (now they go for $70) and they are my favorite preamp tubes. 

That 1 watt uses a 12AU7 as the power tube. The PT is capable of handling a 12BH7, which is like a 12AU7 on steroids. I am waiting on some NOS ones to arrive, and see how they effect the sound. Friend has a 12AU7 powered 1 watt amp and that thing is a beast running the 12BH7.

22 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

this will be my forever amp so I’ll listen to more expensive ideas.

I was trying to find you a used 65amps "Empire" head online somewhere.  Very versatile amp.  You'll never sell it.  

I like tbone's ideas too.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Thanks for the ideas. Very helpful. I really like the idea of a used Mesa Boogie. 

Mesa’s are great amps. I’m had my single rec for like 15 years and it still fires right up. Also I bought it used so it might even be older then that

On 3/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s way more than $1000, but I’ve lusted after a Soldano Lucky 13 to handle the tones you described.

Seconded.  I started looking at Mesa's due to discussions here that seem to indicate I can get similar tones in smaller/lighter packages.  

I watch that Lucky 13 demo video on you tube every so often and start searching reverb - they never seem to come down in price and remain pretty steady on resale.  The price and the weight are the main obstacles for me.  It seems like with modern PA, direct amp outs, etc., there's really no need to lug around an amp that big unless you have someone else to do it for you.  And I haven't reached those lofty heights yet.  

18 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Honestly if I was gigging with an electric I think I’d just use a blues jr and pedals. Probably the easiest/lightest way to go about it.

That is the issue, isn't it?  Easiest/lightest vs.  I want/need to buy all the guitgear in the WAARRRRRRLDDDD!!!

10 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

@Deej  I'm really jonesin' for this baby.  I need to find one locally so I can test drive it.  

1822RTB-AL-2440x1627.png

Pretty sure those Delta Kings are the same amp as the Blues Kings, just fancier tolex, but lacking the effects loop. I do love my Blues King 12.

With all this Supro talk, look what popped up in my feed this morning:

krgshrxwgtsttw29si15.jpg

One of you need to buy this stat. It's the same as the famous Supro Jimmy Page used on LZ I, but in a much prettier and cleaner package.  If I hadn't already blown my guitgear budget on an LP, I'd buy it right now.  It's more or less at the same price point as its' Supro cousins.  

https://reverb.com/item/39620207-vintage-1965-valco-airline-62-9020a-supro-thunderbolt-amp-amazing

• Like 1