These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Good, as long as they work and are strong. All the preamp tubes were old British and German tubes. Quite the bonus as they aren't cheap. 

I saw Winery Dogs a couple years and Richie Kotzen was playing through this really vintage looking Marshall stack, and as soon as the set was over his tech ran out and turned the amp off. My buddy leaned over and said “gotta preserve those tubes”.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys have any kind of amp furniture? What would be super rad would be some kind of shelf/case thing where there are maybe some drawers and a space above that where the amp fits. Either like a small media console or even more like a bookcase type thing. I'd prefer to get my amp off the floor, sitting it on top of its case or even just one of those metal amp stands doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for, and if whatever solution there also helped with storage, that would be the thing.

40 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Any of you guys have any kind of amp furniture? What would be super rad would be some kind of shelf/case thing where there are maybe some drawers and a space above that where the amp fits. Either like a small media console or even more like a bookcase type thing. I'd prefer to get my amp off the floor, sitting it on top of its case or even just one of those metal amp stands doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for, and if whatever solution there also helped with storage, that would be the thing.

I’ve seen things like this but they at like $2500 and up

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254902526555
this cab is cool looking. I would drop vintage 30s in it. How much should I offer?

Anything even up to the asking price isn't terrible. Looks like it's local pickup only though. I don't know if this has been discussed, but Thomann out of Germany sells these cabs for $245. "Harley Benton" is basically the generic, Chinese-made brand for the store. 

Harley Benton G212 Vintage Vertical – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

And 4x12s for $409

Harley Benton G412A Vintage – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

I saw this and I was like, how the F is this possible? One Celestion Vintage 30 speaker costs about $145. How can they stick two inside a decent enough cab and sell the package for less than the MSRP of the speakers? Well, after seeing this video, I pulled the trigger. I'm definitely satisfied with the thing. There is some corner-cutting in terms of construction but you cannot beat the deal. Even with the Euro-Dollar conversion and having to ship the damn thing from Germany, the 2x12 vertical only cost me about $300.

Harley Benton Sells 2x12 Vintage 30 Cabinets For Less Than The Speakers - YouTube

Edited by Grandioso
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, hullabelew said:

uhm......details please?  

So this is kind of like Carr's take on a Princeton. Added is the attenuator type "headroom" knob and mid range tone control. Totally simple & amazing sounding. Carrs are the jam. Check out their "Telstar." If I am at a guitar shop and there is a Carr for sale, I will never leave without plugging in for a second. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this at a scratch and dent sale at guitar center for $400. I don’t see shit wrong with it, but I didn’t get the case Candy stuff. 
As I am a M&M guy (Marshall and Mesa exclusively) I don’t often wonder from those two. But when I do it is usually for something I probably shouldn’t have purchased. But, I like this thing.

7D649282-91B8-402C-AB4D-F6226EE179E7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

One of you guys need to buy this right f n now.  
https://reverb.com/item/40219471-soldano-lucky-13-100w-head-2000-black-tolex
I would.  But I already spent too much on guitar stuff lately.

This is pretty close to what warren Haynes plays. Some kind of custom soldano. He’s an above average guitarist if you asked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got this at a scratch and dent sale at guitar center for $400. I don’t see shit wrong with it, but I didn’t get the case Candy stuff. 
As I am a M&M guy (Marshall and Mesa exclusively) I don’t often wonder from those two. But when I do it is usually for something I probably shouldn’t have purchased. But, I like this thing.
7D649282-91B8-402C-AB4D-F6226EE179E7.thumb.jpeg.f0c1758ed4b5b76cbfbd830d0a6943c8.jpeg

Sweet. What is it? How does it sound? What does it do?

11 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Sweet. What is it? How does it sound? What does it do?

I didn’t get any paperwork with it, but the best I can tell it is a CR60 Crush Pro 60 watt combo?

First impressions were how sturdy the shell is. Pretty robust for housing solid state. I would guess roughly 20lbs lighter than my 1x12 Mesa Lonestar. 

The controls are simple enough. Main toggle selects dirty/clean mode. Though the dirty is what I call crunch. And to its credit it does a nice job of mimicking a overdriven tube amp. You can also set everything flat in the clean mode and you get a pretty warm George Benson sort of thing. 

Overall I like it. It was a impulse purchase. But after spending 8 hours with it, it does its job very well. it isn’t as good as a comparable tube, but it also doesn’t cost 5x as much. 

• Like 1

Price check on a Friedman 20 watt mini Dirty Shirley head and strange cab? Is $1350 a reasonable deal?  The cab is an 40 watt 1x12” creamback dirty Shirley combo amp that had the amp removed.

AE4-DA17-C-F9-C4-4397-B6-C5-990-E4-A0163

Only used one I can find on reverb is $1900 but has a “real” cab.

Edited by Goredho

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Pretty sure you can’t get anything with a Freidman nameplate on it for less than that. You should do it.

Yeah its done.  Sent my buddy a check, won't pick it up until next time I am in Austin.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Goredho said:

Price check on a Friedman 20 watt mini Dirty Shirley head and strange cab? Is $1350 a reasonable deal?  The cab is an 40 watt 1x12” creamback dirty Shirley combo amp that had the amp removed.

Israeli Gear...

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, Goredho said:

Help me out with this one. I’m sure I’m overlooking something. The previous owner removed the power from the combo to basically have a speaker box, correct? 

That is really expensive gear, why would you want to do that?

I don't know exactly.  I trust the guy I am buying from (its my brother) and he's selling it as described to him and for what he paid for it so he can buy some other shiny toy.  I've played the amp and cab before, and they are great.  But looking around, there is a Dirty Shirley mini-cab that looks like this:

FA_Dirty-Shirley-112_SIDE-1600-x-1200_DS

And a  Dirty Shirley 112 full cabinet which also has a 1x12 creamback like the cab in my previous post:

DIRTY%20SHIRLEY%20112%20CAB%20LEFT.jpg

So I dunno, maybe its just the full cab and the story my brother has about it is wrong.