These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.610f0f55430ec0b7d8567c8e7aac093d.jpg

I pulled the trigger on the MesaBoogie Mini-Rectifier.  I am really happy with this amp, its as versatile as I hoped.  Small tone demo below, using my Tele through the mini-rec's clean channel with enough gain to break up a bit if anyone is interested in hearing some of its tone possibilities.

I haven't sold the mini Dirty Shirley yet, and I may wind up keeping it.  Its got that vintage Marshall-y sag, and does that one thing better than the mini-rec. 

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.4b5ab025bc6adf3d147b26285f8a6e29.jpg

I am strongly considering getting one of these Universal Audio Ox Boxes for home recording so I can record my amps, but not have to dick with mics, isolating amps, etc...  Anyone else have any play time with one of these?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I'm going to love this amp. It has really nice clean tones, but crank that thing up and just laugh and smile. Rich, full tones. Zero need for an overdrive pedal, unless I care about what is left of my hearing. I have only run single coils through it, but seems it is a perfect match for a Telecaster. Go figure. It's loud as hell. It could keep up with the Thunderbolt. Looks like I might have to run them in stereo out on the deck when the neighbors won't quiet down. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back in Texas where I'm always reunited with my Partscasters for a week or two, but I want to talk about this amp that's here.

This amp was my Dad's, he bought it in a pawn shop i think maybe 15 years ago. Its a hybrid SS / Tube thing that i always looked down my nose at. Its kinda bright / harsh as I've heard it and the controls are laid out funky. There are buttons on the left that that somehow correlate to the colored knob sections to the right.

It's the best amp I have here and i have intended to bring something better for a while, but a year or two ago I discovered that engaging the "FET/Tube" button activates the "Tube Drive" section, and with a little tweaking there it sounds sublime.

I still don't think it's a great clean amp, but it has a really lush, kinda compressed driven tone thats a lot of fun. Ive written a lot of songs on this thing and always enjoy it when here.

If anybody knows anything about Tube Works, I'm all ears.20210923_161838.jpg20210923_162757.jpg

I'm back in Texas where I'm always reunited with my Partscasters for a week or two, but I want to talk about this amp that's here.

This amp was my Dad's, he bought it in a pawn shop i think maybe 15 years ago. Its a hybrid SS / Tube thing that i always looked down my nose at. Its kinda bright / harsh as I've heard it and the controls are laid out funky. There are buttons on the left that that somehow correlate to the colored knob sections to the right.

It's the best amp I have here and i have intended to bring something better for a while, but a year or two ago I discovered that engaging the "FET/Tube" button activates the "Tube Drive" section, and with a little tweaking there it sounds sublime.

I still don't think it's a great clean amp, but it has a really lush, kinda compressed driven tone thats a lot of fun. Ive written a lot of songs on this thing and always enjoy it when here.

If anybody knows anything about Tube Works, I'm all ears.20210923_161838.thumb.jpg.20b7d56f76304104c92288b160ae24af.jpg20210923_162757.thumb.jpg.78e69005ff7a9a2b94e508b6ba5166f3.jpg
Sure, that's the later version of the stuff that started out as BK Butler back in the 80s. I had a rack tube preamp section that probably is pretty similar to the pre on that amp. Is there a "stack" function to run channel 1 into channel 2?

Anyway, on the old pedals, you could max the output and keep the drive low for some good clean drive sounds.

I don't know much about that amp, but I have experience with things in it's lineage
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

@immamac can we combine this one and the Guitar Pron thread?

Why? They cover two different subjects. There’s also an effects pedals thread. 

There’s a lot of good amp-specific info posted here and I’d prefer not to wade through 12 pages of oddly-colored MIM Strat doorbuster deal announcements to find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Again: why? They deal with different topics. 

Part of it is the amp and pedal one fall down off the first page frequently, so then half the time amp and pedal stuff get posted in the guitar forum. 

What's the issue with having a subforum, like we have with things like books, video games, food for particular cities, etc.? All three threads pinned in the same place

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Part of it is the amp and pedal one fall down off the first page frequently, so then half the time amp and pedal stuff get posted in the guitar forum. 

What's the issue with having a subforum, like we have with things like books, video games, food for particular cities, etc.? All three threads pinned in the same place

Subforum would be fine, I guess. Although I tend to believe sub forums get less traffic. On the old boards, I lived on what is the equivalent of the Nerds sub here; but I almost never venture to that sub now. (It should have been a DT sub or just the purpose of DT, before DT became CR. But that’s a whole different issue.)

Like I said, my concern is that the amp or pedal info doesn’t get drowned out by a bunch of pictures of guitars. The threads serve different purposes, and each has its place.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Team merge the threads here.  If all three were super active, the three separate threads would make sense.  But there’s about a threads worth of content spread across the three. 

And the 95% of posts in all three are made by the same group of people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why? They cover two different subjects. There’s also an effects pedals thread. 
There’s a lot of good amp-specific info posted here and I’d prefer not to wade through 12 pages of oddly-colored MIM Strat doorbuster deal announcements to find it. 

Im team merge threads, but this is a good point. The guitar thread is catch all that seems to move in spurts and a lot of good, specific info gets buried in there with stream of consciousness type posts.

On the other hand, the pedal and amp threads get bumped to the top so rarely that I often miss it until it gets bumped up a 2nd or 3rd time.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah Brick I think you’re in the minority. It’s all guitar stuff. 

And the whole football board is devoted to the same sport. But no one’s suggesting we merge it all into a single omnibus football thread.

I started this thread on TOS because it seemed like a worthy stand-alone topic. It did well there and has generated a decent stand-alone conversation here as well.

If people feel like they miss posts on this thread because of lower traffic, I get that. But the “Follow” button below is a good solution to that problem. Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution that would allow us to sort out amp-specific content within a merged thread that would be dominated by random guitar talk. 

I have zero problem if people also want to discuss amps in the Guitar Pron thread. Feel free to do so. But don’t push your All Things Guitar Must Be Glommed Together worldview on the few of us who are interested in separately discussing amps on their own merits. 

I bought a Kalamazoo Model One a couple years ago. I wanted an inexpensive Champ killer, and these get good reviews. I love it. Cranked, it has great early Zep tone (think Good Times, Bad Times). 

That got me interested in Kalamazoo amps, and a couple months ago someone listed a Reverb 12 on Craigslist. It’s like a Princeton Reverb with huge balls. Unfortunately the one on CL needed too much work, but if one of these ever pops up in good condition, I’m snapping it up:

Another amp I discovered through Craigslist is the Nace M1-18R. I don’t know much about them other than they seem to be reasonably priced on the used market and they sound badass in the videos I found online. 

33 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And the whole football board is devoted to the same sport. But no one’s suggesting we merge it all into a single omnibus football thread.

I started this thread on TOS because it seemed like a worthy stand-alone topic. It did well there and has generated a decent stand-alone conversation here as well.

If people feel like they miss posts on this thread because of lower traffic, I get that. But the “Follow” button below is a good solution to that problem. Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution that would allow us to sort out amp-specific content within a merged thread that would be dominated by random guitar talk. 

I have zero problem if people also want to discuss amps in the Guitar Pron thread. Feel free to do so. But don’t push your All Things Guitar Must Be Glommed Together worldview on the few of us who are interested in separately discussing amps on their own merits. 

If we had a ton of regular posters going into real depth discussion on various amps, pedals, and guitars, I'd probably lean your way. We're a pretty small group posting here and most of what we post is "check this out" type of stuff and when we do go in depth, it lasts for maybe a half a page. If I need in depth discussion of specific things, I go to TDPRI, The Gear Page, MyLesPaul, Strat-Talk, etc. Much more info because the user base is so broad and knowledgeable that your will get an answer (or multiple answers) pretty quickly. We don't have enough contributors to get into pages long discussions. 

Here it feels like a bunch of buddies just hanging out parsing the little bits we know (right or wrong) out to each other. 

So, I guess I'm saying I go to the dedicated forums when I need in depth info. I come here because it's Surly and we have a little corner of it for guitars and shit. 

I agree with that, and think the Guitar Pron thread is a fine place for general guitar and gear discussion. Like I said, posters in that thread should feel free to discuss amps or effects or songs they’re learning or whatever in that thread. 

But my point is: there’s no need to kill off more specific threads just because they partly overlap with a general purpose thread. There is value to this as a stand-alone thread. I don’t ask that this thread be given a monopoly on amp talk; I just ask that it be left alone so that there’s a space for the few of us who want to focus on amps. 

• Like 1