These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

VHT showed up today. Dude forgot to send the power chord.

At least you can just pull one from another amp for the time being. Somehow, I ended up with more power chords than amps, and I have a lot of amps. Still can't figure that one out. 

• Like 1

Ok this little VHT is dope.

528c09a38f25bda5b488b7b27609b1a5.jpg

Brand new set of 6L6s. Sounds like a fat old Fender to me. Plus it has this variable wattage knob that really just acts like an early break up knob. Dial it back one or two clicks for just a little bit of break up. Amp tech had it on the bench yesterday, said it’s only really making about 12 watts even with the 6L6s, which is fine with me. It’s not melt your face loud by any stretch but I think it will keep up with a drummer. Pretty impressive for $329 so far.

• Like 4

Of course my tech was bitching about the typical Chinese construction sloppiness. We actually had to hack saw one of the screws off to take the chassis out because it stripped. He says that’s very common on Chinese amps. Still sounds great though, now with one less screw.

Me plagiarizing (poorly) a Philip Sayce riff. But man I’m digging the sounds out of the Bassbreaker with my HH Strat lately. The Shag Screamer makes an appearance about midway through.

The GarageBand app for iPhone put a little too much reverb on it.

• Like 5

a29627dccee0ae6891a873a9b4173262.jpg

8bad86c46a27a3a4190611d6b15af928.jpg

Modded the tremolo pots to be a mid and presence. Really opens these old amps up when you do that. They need more mid. Did a depth also on the Showman, but that gets muddy on these lower power amps so we skipped it on this one.

The Warehouses sound awesome.

• Like 2

OK boys and girls.   I have a '65 Deluxe Reverb that AUTF fixed up for me.  (Actually, it belongs to my brother...he told me I could have it, but I consider it on loan.)  The speaker had been replaced sometime before he bought it and it needs to be replaced.  

What should I go with?  

On 8/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, tbone_ said:

a29627dccee0ae6891a873a9b4173262.jpg

8bad86c46a27a3a4190611d6b15af928.jpg

Modded the tremolo pots to be a mid and presence. Really opens these old amps up when you do that. They need more mid. Did a depth also on the Showman, but that gets muddy on these lower power amps so we skipped it on this one.

The Warehouses sound awesome.

Nice. Wait until they break in. 

OK boys and girls.   I have a '65 Deluxe Reverb that AUTF fixed up for me.  (Actually, it belongs to my brother...he told me I could have it, but I consider it on loan.)  The speaker had been replaced sometime before he bought it and it needs to be replaced.  

What should I go with?  Tbone's post had me looking.  

https://wgsusa.com/1967-fender-deluxe-reverb-quest-best-replacement-speaker

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

What should I go with?  Tbone's post had me looking.  

https://wgsusa.com/1967-fender-deluxe-reverb-quest-best-replacement-speaker

I spent months considering this same question before I lucked out and found a period-correct Oxford for my 64 DR. 

I almost bought the George Alessandro/Eminence GA-SC64, and I still might pick one up down the road. It gets rave reviews, specifically when used in the Deluxe Reverb. 

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/GA_SC64.pdf

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

I spent months considering this same question before I lucked out and found a period-correct Oxford for my 64 DR. 

I almost bought the George Alessandro/Eminence GA-SC64, and I still might pick one up down the road. It gets rave reviews, specifically when used in the Deluxe Reverb. 

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/GA_SC64.pdf

Alessandro's upgrades/replacements should be considered OEM.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:51 PM, Foggy Notion said:

I went through a Weber and Jupiter before remembering I had a 1968 Jensen C12N (and 3 backups) for my 73 DR.  Absolute magic.  I don't know if it's the design or the smoke damage, but nothing else came close for me.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1