These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Current full lineup

333e386f9d9f7e9fdeeb760542c658fe.jpg

Nice.  Is the Fender (bottom right) a Super Reverb?  Looks like a 73 or later with a master, but  . . . ?

Also, looks like about a 1971 Twin Reverb and later Dual Showman.  How's the sound between the two compare?  What do you have in the cab for the DS (without my having to scroll back to find out because I"m lazy?).  Any hum issues in the DS because of the proximity of the reverb tank to that massive output transformer?

Edited by dcbc

Nice.  Is the Fender (bottom right) a Super Reverb?  Looks like a 73 or later with a master, but  . . . ? Also, looks like about a 1971 Twin Reverb and later Dual Showman.  How's the sound between the two compare?  What do you have in the cab for the DS (without my having to scroll back to find out because I"m lazy?).  Any hum issues in the DS because of the proximity of the reverb tank to that massive output transformer?    

The Super Reverb is a 1970 I believe. No master volume. Original CTS baskets, reconed. 

Not a Twin, that’s a Pro. I think it’s a 73. Also no master. This is the one that has the Warehouse speakers in it. Only had it a few weeks.

The Dual Showman is a 1971 I believe. No master. The cab is closed back with a V30 and an Eminence legend. They sound fantastic.

The Super and the Pro sound a little bit flatter to my ears than the Dual Showman. My amp guy says the Dual has a really high voltage transformer which he claims ads to the depth and dynamics of the sound. Anyway, there is a noticeable difference to me. Though they all sound good.

The Dual has a mod that ads a depth a presence control (using the tremolo pots). Makes a huge difference. The Pro has a mod to add a mid and a presence control (also using the tremolo pots). Zero issues from the Dual reverb tank. Mojotone makes a Twin head cab that is shorter that will fit this chassis with the reverb tank I thinking about getting. My amp guy says they work fine with no users from the tank proximity.

The most surprising one of the bunch is the little 22 watt Boogie. I paid $400 for that and it sounds fantastic. Studio .22+ circa mid 80s I think. They’re known for the dirt but the cleans are incredible.

• Like 1

The most surprising one of the bunch is the little 22 watt Boogie. I paid $400 for that and it sounds fantastic. Studio .22+ circa mid 80s I think. They’re known for the dirt but the cleans are incredible.

Not sure if it's the same amp, but I played through a guys Caliber 22 a few years ago at an open jam and it sounded incredible; both the clean and the dirty side. I would prefer one of those over the Mark V I once owned.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Dr. Z and Joe Walsh's collab on a beefed up version of a Champ. Pretty cool.

Z-PLUS-112_blk-zw-ps-web-1030x687.jpg

Joe Walsh on the Z-PLUS

“I recorded ‘Funk 49’ with a Telecaster straight into a blackface Champ with an 8″ speaker and one output tube, and that’s why it sounds like it does,” says Joe Walsh about what he was seeking when he asked Dr. Z founder Mike Zaite to design a new amp for him. “That sound mystifies most guitarists. Single-ended amps can be magic in the studio, but they don’t work at all for live performance. I call up Z sometimes and we talk amps, so I said to him, ‘How do we get a Champ sound at stage volume?’ As usual, Z goes, ‘I don’t think you can do that, but let me think about it.’ Then, he calls me in the middle of the night and says, ‘I’m in the shop, and I’ve got a couple of ideas. I’ll get back to you.’ The result was two output tubes wired in parallel, which keeps the amp single-ended, but it’s way over twice as loud. No push-pull, no phase-splitter, no biasing issues—none of that. It’s a high-powered Champ offering a world of new sounds with any pickup. You should hear ‘Funk 49’ through it. Thanks, Z. U da man!”

• Like 1

Had a few beers last night while playing. Went to bed. Got home this evening and the amp was still on. Oops. Sounded great after letting the tubes warm up for 20 hours.

Walked into my music room on Thursday before leaving town for a few days. Smelled like a space heater. I’d left my Bassbreaker on for a week.
  • Like 1

Actually, I may be in the market for a 100w Plexi head soon. My 50W sounds incredible, but we have a couple shows coming up in venues where I can probably get away with 100 Watts of crunchy bliss.

I'm also considering running the Super Reverb in parallel with it. Sounds amazing in our studio, but I haven't wanted to drag around 2 big ass amps.