These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Agree with the above, window shop with him at a GC and see if there is a style he likes. Is a Tele the tone and look he is wanting?  A squire HSS strat would cover a lot of ground in the $400 range. Epiphone Les Paul or SG also fall in that price zone. Kids at my son's music lesson class also seem to gravitate to Schecter. If he likes it, he will definitely play it more. 

For amps: Boss Katana-50, Roland Cube or a  Fender Mustang. Any good modeling amp will let him play around with clean and dirty tones to find his style.

Despite all the noise, this is the right answer. Go with him, let him play a variety of guitars. There are literally thousands of perfectly good guitars at this price point. See which one fits.

An entry level/ practice modeling amp is also a great idea.

It’s like shoes. If you buy a badass pair that looks cool, but doesn’t fit right, you aren’t gonna wear them. To further overuse metaphors, you are less like to wear the sweater grandma bought you for Christmas than the one you picked yourself.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Despite all the noise, this is the right answer. Go with him, let him play a variety of guitars. There are literally thousands of perfectly good guitars at this price point. See which one fits.

An entry level/ practice modeling amp is also a great idea.

It’s like shoes. If you buy a badass pair that looks cool, but doesn’t fit right, you aren’t gonna wear them. To further overuse metaphors, you are less like to wear the sweater grandma bought you for Christmas than the one you picked yourself.

I'll definitely do this.  Thoughts on that entry level modeling amp?

Just now, Rollo Tomassi said:

I'll definitely do this.  Thoughts on that entry level modeling amp?

I think the ones topo mentioned are all fine.  Line 6 was the initial leader in this area and anything by them is probably OK as well.  I used to have a Fender Cyber Champ, and it was a good little modeling amp.  I sold it to a friend in your exact situation.  I also have played this Yamaha and thought it was a solid starter/practice amp with lots of good tones:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10II--yamaha-thr10-ii-10-watt-2x3-inch-modeling-combo?mrkgadid=3360585861&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700049291857911&lid=92700049291857911&ds_s_kwgid=58700005416698240&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=833092176224&product_id=THR10II&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9026915&creative=393031350618&targetid=pla-833092176224&campaignid=1465808371&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqdP9BRDVARIsAGSZ8AnrgjFuv_kGqvTta5sGfD8-CRm6gBQEZQyI6pW1i4hmvkBrvvGcsvgaAgKyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know there are various opinions here about this, but if you want to save a buck or two, I wouldn't hesitate to go for used equipment.  Anything you walk out the door with new is going to take a hit on depreciation.  Tons of people have bought guitars then stuck them in the closet, then taken them right back to GC who buys them back for not much and sells them for a pretty good deal.  Same deal with amps.  On the off chance you walk into GC and see one of the ones mentioned here, give it a whirl.  My experience is if a piece of electrical equipment lasts for 30 days, it's just as likely to last for 30 years if you care for it.  

As far as technical support for modeling amps and their software/support, that's something I have less experience with.  If your kid is tech focused, that may be important to him and therefore you may want to buy something new that is guaranteed to have tech support.  If he isn't, he may be just as well to get a used model and just go with whatever it already has onboard.  There is definitely a point of option overload so avoid too many whistles and bells.  Simpler is likely better for a beginner.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I told Mrs. CHIEF that I didn't want anything for Christmas, and then this showed up this morning:

Positivegrid.png

I've been bitching about my '84 Seymour Duncan Convertible, you need to be an EE to keep it running. I guess she did some research, I told her my old amp was a modeling amp, and  this one is too. I'm a tube guy, not sure about this solid state stuff.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Cool on the positive grid. Any reviews yet?

When does the C30 show up? Love to hear what you think about it.

12/31, I will certainly let you know.   They’re running Celestino’s now so I don’t know if that will make a huge difference.  

I just can’t be lugging this around all the time.

294705CF-6C44-4D26-A8A8-B0D70A305FDC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 4:09 PM, tbone_ said:

Definitely just a practice amp, still getting familiar. Not really being an electric guitarist, I am having to research how the virtual pedals to the virtual amps affect the sound. Definitely worth the money. It's good at pinning down a sound that you want in a main amp, so you can then, buy the setup in real life.

CHIEF

• Like 2

Yes.

The current generation just introduced in December is L1 Pro 8, 16, and 32.

Honestly I’m not loving it. Guitar just sounds ok. Singer came over and tried out vocals and it wasn’t great at all. Clear but no real life.

We’re going to a/b it tonight with our regular rig, which sounds off the charts good for vocals. And decent enough on the guitar.

Taking the Bose back today.

A/B’d against the current set up last night. Vocals not even close on the Bose to our current set up. Guitar was ok, definitely more bass, but no way was it $2,500 worth of better.

I was pretty surprised at how lifeless the vocals were. And I tweaked it quite a bit.

QSC and TC Helicon ftw I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 4:09 PM, tbone_ said:

I freaking dig it, a lot.  Totally enough power too.  Just set it all at noon, and get it.

But!, (possibly during shipping or just and issue with the C30), hearing some tube rattle.  Almost if one is microphonic.

Edited by Rip76
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
cde33cbf35bfa55216a4484c05ebafdc.jpg
Not that you can tell from this picture but the speed is a mid and intensity is now a depth knob. And warehouse speakers. Sounds great.

Whats the thinking here? Personally, I use the fuck out of the Vibrato on my old amps that have it. Me and Magic Sam.
I should have picked up an old Fender a few years back. They are all so pricey now.
Paging FoggyNotion. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

• 4 weeks later...