These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

• 2 weeks later...
fiancee got me a birfday gif (early).  So here's me noodling around trying to figure out what to do with a Katana.  The autowah was a surprise.  I'm going to need to read the manual and figure out what all i can do with a computer.

Sounds good celery, congrats on getting engaged, what’s his name?

• 3 weeks later...

Unless I'm missing somethin here, this this the best deal I've ever seen on Reverb. A 2018 Supro 1650RT (RT = tube reverb and trem), that just needs a new handle for $749.00 + $59.00 Shipping. This amp is $1499.00 new and the other used models on Reverb start at $1,099.00.

https://reverb.com/item/15823195-2018-supro-royal-reverb-1650rt-35-60-watt-2x10-all-tube-combo-tone-monster

qzg6zvfcbtlixxnmzloh.jpg

2018 Supro Royal Reverb Model 1650RT 2x10 All Tube Combo Amp.

35- and 60-watt modes 

Made in the US

Type: Tube

Number of Channels: 1

Total Power: 60W (35W setting)

Speaker Size: 2 x 10"

Preamp Tubes: 4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AT7

Power Tubes: 2 x 5881/6L6

Reverb: Yes

Effects: Yes

EQ: 2-band

PSA: Amazon currently has a copy of Amped: An Illustrated History of the World's Greatest Amplifiers by Dave Hunter used for $166. This is the first time in about a year the book has been available for under $250.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0760339724/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GrzYBb0Q6GDXV

It's not a technical deep dive but it's filled with a ton of great pics and stories involving the amps that have changed music, starting from early Rickenbacker, Masco, and Fender all the way to Soldano, Dr. Z and Matchless.

It's quite a difficult to find book and something of a cult classic. This is as cheap as I've ever seen it on any platform.79b4523ee4300f4cb057fd01be24f269.jpgdc9937538d0085579f782e99d75fa8c9.jpg80a5054790a8ed87008975ca78307367.jpgd8cc933e906c9ef17f5046813b45490e.jpg3b7bc7a9118d2fe9d0b034e6e3138c21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This would be a cool little practice amp/conversation piece.

m4x0lin1uwhmoxbedert.jpg

hmuskh1gyn7expxfduq6.jpg

Supro Corsica S6622 (1967) A very cool tube combo amp built by Valco in Chicago, this Supro Corsica S6622 offers 7 (or so) watts of power with a tube rectifier, 1 X 6V6 power tube, and a single 12” Jensen C12R speaker. It has 1 channel, 3 inputs, and built-in tremolo and doppler reverb.

They go for around $500-$750.

Skip to about 1:30

• Like 2

They might. That thing is loud, with a ton of low end to go with it. Really help make a Tele sound beefy. Really nice cleans, but when you open it up, it's got a really great overdriven tone. Tone knob is very sensitive. Lots of sounds to be had. Dogs refused to come back in the house. Lulz.

I'll spend some more time with it as soon as my nerves settle from that game.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

I have finally decided to begin the restoration of my 1964 Deluxe Reverb. Y'all might remember this amp from the other site.

Here's the rundown... I got this amp in a trade a couple years ago. It probably hasn't been up and running in about 15 years. It was missing the speaker, baffle and grill cloth. Someone swapped the original black faceplate with a plate from a 70s silverface. The damage on the left front side of the cabinet is supposedly from a cat who used the amp as a scratching post.

Replacing the missing parts is the biggest challenge to restoring this amp. Fender didn't make many DRs in 1964, so finding original period-correct parts is nearly impossible. I've done a good bit of research on early blackface DRs since I bought this amp, and I kinda have a plan in place for this restoration, but I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys as I am still unsure about a few issues. I'll dive deeper into those issues in subsequent posts.

Here are a few pics so you can see what I'm dealing with...

20181128-133546.jpg

20181128-132806.jpg

20181128-132733.jpg

20181128-133523.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Deej said:

I had forgotten about that Deluxe Reverb, Foggy. Can't wait to see, and hear, the results.

It's just been sitting in my garage the past couple years while I've been on the lookout for original parts which don't pop up very often. I finally came to the realization that this amp is never going to get restored with 100% original period-correct parts. Even if I did find all those parts, I'd end up spending twice what the amp would be worth. 

I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking this an all original 64 DR, but I do want to make it look as close to original as possible while being a great sounding player's amp. If I end up selling this amp down the line, I'll be totally upfront about what is original and what is not.

For reference, here is a 1964 Deluxe Reverb.

20181128-191238.jpg

And here is a 65 Deluxe Reverb. 

20181128-190931.jpg

Notice the cosmetic differences. The most obvious one is the lack of a Fender logo on the grill of the 64. Supposedly this was a cost-saving measure by Leo. The smaller early blackfaces like the Deluxe and the Princeton did not have the logo on the grill. Some of the early 65 DRs came without the logo, but most have it by mid-1965.

The other difference is the lack of the little 1s and 2s above the inputs on the 64. Sometime in late 1964, the 1s and 2s start appearing over the inputs, but I've seen one made in Dec 64 that didn't have the numbers as Fender continued to use up the 'no numbers' plates. Mine is a fairly early one made in May. It definitely would've had a 'no numbers' plate.

Which brings me to the first issue up for discussion - the faceplate. I'm pretty sure I want to put a black faceplate on the front. Finding an original 64 faceplate is gonna be next to impossible. I've been looking for one since I got this amp. There used to be a number of people who made reproduction faceplates, but I've heard that Fender really cracked down on them so repro plates have become harder to find. And if you do find one, it's gonna be one with the numbers because those are the faceplates most people use to restore a blackface DR.

I contacted a number of people who had either made or sold repro plates in the past based on info I found online, and they all told me they were out of the repro business. There is a guy in Thailand who is kinda off the grid who supposedly makes some of the best repro faceplates out there based on stuff I've read and pics I've seen. I got in touch with him, and he offered to sell me a 65 faceplate. After some back and forth, I finally got him to give me a quote to make me a one-off 'no numbers' plate. He perfected his template for the 65 plate a long time ago so he'll have to make a new template for a 64. It's gonna be pricey, but I think I'm about to pull the trigger.

Am I nuts?

Maybe? I guess I'd be looking at what I was paying for the repro faceplate, plus everything else, including what I already had into the amp, versus what my possible return would be if I was planning on selling it.

If it was going to just be for me and part of my collection, with no intention of unloading it...if it made me happy to have that faceplate, I'd probably do it. 

12 hours ago, Deej said:

Black thing is a reverb tank. VanAmps Sole-Mate. 

Yeah, I need a four-way splitter.

Other side of the room is just as ridiculous. Three heads, three cabs, more combos, bass amp.

Gonna spend this weekend getting the pedalboard back in order.

Where's the pic of the other side of the room?

C'mon Deej, your slipping.

Also agree with you on the repro faceplate.  There's nothing quite as bad as getting almost what you wanted.  It's always going to bother you if you don't just go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

It's always fun to get on Reverb and search stuff from the 1950's and 1960's and then sort by price, high to low. Some of the shit looks like it was made in the last 5 years. These amps are all original except for a tube/3 prong plug here and there.

1956 Deluxe

zqhyefn2lz6dydzigmjh.jpg

gply3zdsmds3rkjrl1nc.jpg

1959 Bassman

dsabrg5inih0gx3jz5ms.jpg

dbcqlqf9uyahqouvmo6g.jpg

1966 Princeton Reverb

brq6fe2qwhulsrxnejju.jpg

hrnrgwhjfh2rowrbmbej.jpg

1964 Deluxe Reverb

lc0ffanfu6dmcba61bv9.jpg

jjjs8497grqwvlrcwvsr.jpg