Malaysia, Indonesia, or Other East Asian Country

LABEVO

Now that we have our Covid vaccine and permanently working from home, we are going to live abroad for a few months. I am focused on Malaysia but open to be told other south east asian countries that we should consider. I expect that we live in the country for a month so the must have's include: fast wifi, major city(s), not total rampant issues with Covid, reasonably safe so not going to Burma or other countries that have political upheaval. 

Looking to go during summer and likely hit up a few other countries to live for a month based on personal obligations (e.g. Germany, China side trips)

Where should we consider and / or hints for living in Malaysia as I believe this is our top choice as of right now. 

15 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I spent 2008-2018 in HCMC, Bangkok, Jakarta, Singapore, and KL. 

What's your budget? Are you planning to live the expat lifestyle or are you the backpacker type? What are you planning to get out of this?

Probably rent a hotel suite or Airbnb for a month. Looking at condos that are 3 bedrooms size for 2 people. Definitely just living elsewhere as expats and work remotely. We are renting out our house while gone so will actually make money given the cost arbitrage. 

purely like the ideal of living in a new city / country but still need to work. Thankfully, we have jobs that allow this flexibility. 

we have some personal obligations to be in Asia (family) so want to be close to them by flight too. 

Edited by LABEVO

If you are looking for a smooth sailing, you can't beat Singapore. It is the most expensive but you don't need to have a car if you live close to the mrt. You are not staying there long enough to be bored with it.

Bangkok is also pretty good option if you don't want to deal with a car. Live somewhere near a BTS and you can get by for several months without getting bored.

For Malaysia, you probably want to stick to KL and you gonna need a car.  If you like the outdoors, there are plenty of activities. Snatched thieves are rampant and pretty annoying.

For Indonesia, the only livable option is Bali really. Skip the motorcyle and get a car with a local driver. You will live a king.

I lived in SE Asia for a few years and talked to a fellow expat yesterday who is still there in KL. He said KL is still considered a Covid “red zone” so if you are there, you can’t leave the city.  Traffic there is back to pre-Covid levels but he said he ditched his car as the MY version of Uber is dirt cheap and has fixed prices and it’s pretty much killed off the taxis there.  He said many former expat enclaves are empty do nice, high end apartments in town are dropping in price as most expats moving out of the city and out into the “suburbs” like Bangsar, Mt. Kiera where they can have big houses and pools rather than high rise apartments. Also, most expats have had to give up their “house keepers” because of Covid restrictions so one of the expat wives “benefits” of not doing cleaning or laundry is gone...

if I had to go back, Bangkok (or anywhere in Thailand) would be my choice - we loved the people and the city and will probably spend a lot of time living there when we retire...

Singapore is nice but damn expensive compared to the rest of the region...

Jakarta is great to visit but the whole place is a mess and is a step below the other countries in terms of being a “modern” country...

• Hook 'Em 1

I just moved back to the US after 7 years in Asia (Singapore/Tokyo). I would recommend Bangkok, then Singapore. I would also make sure to have your story straight prior to getting through immigration, because obviously you aren't the first person to have this idea and working remotely is technically violating a tourist visa. The authorities are cracking down with extra questioning for long term visitors, visa runs are getting more risky, etc (this is especially true in Bali which is why I would not recommend you go there). Also Singapore will make you do a two-week hotel quarantine once you arrive. So BKK is your best bet. 

If it were me (single 30s guy) I would also consider HCMC Vietnam but I believe they've clamped down considerably on letting foreigners in, so maybe it wouldn't work. Unfortunately I think your timing might still be too early for that part of the world and you'll face a number of travel restrictions. Just make sure you have all that researched before you spend a lot of money on a ticket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exposition said:

Also Singapore will make you do a two-week hotel quarantine once you arrive. So BKK is your best bet. 

BKK is also mandatory quarantine, 8days if you have proof of vaccination in the prior 14-90 day window. 11 days if not.