Vail (summer)

oSuJeff97

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If you are coming up, please just hang out at your place and stick to the outdoor activities. Skip eating at restaurants and shopping. That’s shit you can do in Texas.

I’m pretty much resigned to the fact all of the mountain communities are going to get hammered though. We were weathering the storm pretty well, then the summer crowds started showing up and things are spiking.

It'll be an interesting winter.  Or not.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:
It'll be an interesting winter.  Or not.

I have not renewed my pass yet. I'm not convinced the resorts will be open.

I renewed my IKON pass.  They have a no questions asked policy that you can use it in 21/22 if you don't in 20/21.  I'm thinking that's probably the case.  Just gotta hope they don't go BK during that timeframe I guess. 

If they do open, I can't imagine any of the lodges/bars/restaurants/etc. being open.  I have no idea how they manage a workforce with the economics forcing them to live 10/unit.  

Maybe it'll just be a few local lifties, capped attendance, no lodge/etc.  Actually, sounds kinda nice now that I think about it.

That's my plan.  I'm gutting my pantry in order to bring as much stuff to make meals and minimize my time at King Soupers in town.  I plan on having as little contact with anyone as possible. 
This is what i do at my house. We get takeout, we bring food up to cook, we go on hikes, bike rides, and we go fishing. The fewer people i come in contact with, the better.

For anyone visiting Colorado, we now have a statewide mask mandate and state leaders are reiterating the importance of social distancing, even when outside.  Our cases are going up just like the rest of the country.  Please do your part if you visit.

Been wearing mine anytime I leave the house. 

On the plus side, I'm about a quarter mile from the Bald Mountain Trailhead and have been making my way around the trails the past few days.  This morning I went straight up to the Iowa Mill, back down to Nightmare on Baldy and followed that all the way to the Sallie Barber Mine.  From there it was about 2 miles back to the house.  All in all a nice 7ish mile hike/walk.  I'd love to make it to the top of Baldy (13,600 or so) but Iowa Mill is at 11,200 and is still 4+ miles from the summit.  Just getting to the Mill was kicking my butt.

• Like 2

I think we are going to head to Breck for three weeks end of Aug/ early Sept. 

I doubt football happens, and the kids are going to remote learn anyway, I can work from anywhere with internet. We can escape the heat for a bit and hike, Bike etc outside. We will rent a VRBO and cook at the house and stay around there and do outside stuff. Looking at the temperature differences, sounds nice. 

• Like 2

I was supposed to leave on Wednesday but am staying until Sunday now.  If one of the Macanudo-ettes didn't have to be back for something school related (that will probably get canceled or pushed back anyway) I would stay until mid August.  I've spent more time sitting on the deck just relaxing than anything else.   And that includes 7-8 miles a day hiking around the area we're staying.  Wear my ass out in the morning and relax in the afternoon. 

Edited by Macanudo

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

I think we are going to head to Breck for three weeks end of Aug/ early Sept. 

I doubt football happens, and the kids are going to remote learn anyway, I can work from anywhere with internet. We can escape the heat for a bit and hike, Bike etc outside. We will rent a VRBO and cook at the house and stay around there and do outside stuff. Looking at the temperature differences, sounds nice. 

Wife and I are thinking the same thing, though probably about half as long.  May push further into Sept. to catch the leaves starting to change.

Probably will do the same.  Going to go from Telluride to Aspen for a bit.  May stay through September as rents drop a bunch then and no reason to come back to Houston. Half my friends in Houston will be in Aspen in August, some in the same condo we are renting.  Always fun as the kids go out the back door on the green belt from house to house.

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Heading to Vail this weekend.  It's been 15 or 20 years since I've been there.  I read some of the overview posts upthread. Any other thoughts to share?  Me, my wife, 18 YO son and 7 YO son.  Planning to hike, bike and hopefully spend at least a day on a raft.

I don't know how the rafting outfits are allowed to be open, TBH.  They pack you in a bus to go to the drop point and nobody on the rafts are wearing masks that I've seen.  I don't know how exciting rafting the Eagle would be.  Maybe you could do Glenwood Canyon, but that's more of a scenic trip than a rafting trip.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Probably will do the same.  Going to go from Telluride to Aspen for a bit.  May stay through September as rents drop a bunch then and no reason to come back to Houston. Half my friends in Houston will be in Aspen in August, some in the same condo we are renting.  Always fun as the kids go out the back door on the green belt from house to house.

A bunch of kids who don't live together running around playing together is not what this state needs right now.  We are posting some of our highest COVID numbers to date and they're only getting worse, not better.  Eagle and Pitkin counties (Vail and Aspen) have two of the highest per capita rates in the state.  They are on the verge of being shut down again by the state.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data

Edited by Chewbacca

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't know how the rafting outfits are allowed to be open, TBH.  They pack you in a bus to go to the drop point and nobody on the rafts are wearing masks that I've seen.  I don't know how exciting rafting the Eagle would be.  Maybe you could do Glenwood Canyon, but that's more of a scenic trip than a rafting trip.

Yeah, by August almost anything is going to be more of a float than actual rafting.