RMNP day trip. Recs?

BurdineBandit

Going with a couple friends for a Colorado long weekend. Was mostly planning Denver but got a bright idea that RMNP seems interesting and the more I look into it the more I want to go. Is Estes Park pretty much the only town worth staying? Will plan to get there early Saturday morning and stay the night, but probably back in Denver the next morning, so planning to stay on the East of the park preferably. 

Seems the consensus is that you can't go wrong in the park as far as "can't miss views"? Trail Ridge Road looks great but not sure if it's worth it if we don't leave ourselves enough time to use some hiking trails in one afternoon. What say the sh surly? First time at a National Park, went to Garden of the Gods last time in Colorado, but this will be my first time to explore a park without a local, so gotta plan everything solo. 

I've done the Lake Haiyaha trail many times, good place to start as 1. It's awesome, and 2. you can connect it to a couple other trails pretty easily to make a full day of it. TRR is definitely amazing but if you only have one day and want to get into the woods save it for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

We got up early one day and hit the Bear Lake/Alberta Falls area in the morning and then were still able to make the drive up TRR.    Bear Lake parking lot fills up quick and they really want you to use the park shuttle but who wants to do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Going with a couple friends for a Colorado long weekend. Was mostly planning Denver but got a bright idea that RMNP seems interesting and the more I look into it the more I want to go. Is Estes Park pretty much the only town worth staying? Will plan to get there early Saturday morning and stay the night, but probably back in Denver the next morning, so planning to stay on the East of the park preferably. 

Seems the consensus is that you can't go wrong in the park as far as "can't miss views"? Trail Ridge Road looks great but not sure if it's worth it if we don't leave ourselves enough time to use some hiking trails in one afternoon. What say the sh surly? First time at a National Park, went to Garden of the Gods last time in Colorado, but this will be my first time to explore a park without a local, so gotta plan everything solo. 

Trail Ridge may or may not be open in late May.  Depends on the snowpack.