Blue Origin :: Bezos

Hagbard Celine

Blue_Origin_Coat_of_Arms.png.60c39605911de857f66c6b280358ddf7.png

New Shepard 15 mission yesterday was an Astronaut Readiness sub-orbital flight above the Karman Line (100km/62.5miles).

the booster did not land successfully on the first mission 6 years ago, however missions 2 through 15 have had perfect landings for both the booster and vehicle.

last night Bezos tweeted out "it's time" which means astronauts will likely fly soon, maybe in may.

• Hook 'Em 2

In all seriousness (although I think Oscar Meyer would have an open and shut case if they dubbed it the wiener mobile) I’m guessing that even sub orbital like this, the booster isn’t programmed/capable of landing with the capsule still attached. 

Also I would assume that the capsule and booster need to be separated in order to prep for their next respective flights.

Third point, since Mr Bezos is not a member of the Catholic church, no reason he can’t pop it off into space and waste it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Why not leave the capsule attached to the rocket? Too much risk?

I would think so. The capsule comes down via a parachute, I think. I assume that is much safer for the space tourist passengers than riding the rocket back down.

Might also make landing the rocket easier with the weight off the top, lowers the center of gravity of the rocket.

edit: Now that I think about it, the rocket is probably so much more massive than the capsule, that probably doesn't have much to do with it.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
ask your momma

• 3 months later...

Today is supposed to be the day. And I have a new favorite astronaut/space tourist

Wally Funk, at 82 is taking the ride with Bezos, and she seems like a bad ass (as is everyone named Wally)
This moves Wally Shira into the number 2 slot of favorite astronauts

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/09/1014309461/wally-funk-space-bezos-blue-origin 

I'll chime in that I find the whole thing to be cool as hell, even if it had been cooler if the rocket had looked like the Big Boy.  I'll never get over watching Stage 1 land itself like some fake ass looking 1930s sci-fi bit.  Super villain or not, a private citizen and other private citizens just went into space on a privately constructed rocket (again).  My old man, who was born on this day 111 years ago was beyond pumped that the moon landing happened on his birthday and would have cashed in my college fund, the beer money, and my sister to have gotten the opportunity to be a passenger on something like this.  Please forgive me for forgetting about the starving children that could have been fed and the overworked Amazon workers because that stuff definitely isn't right.  But damn I love watching manned rocket launches.

This was so, so cool. Giving props to Van Horn as well. So happy Wally Funk got to go too, she’s awesome. Got to meet her once, will never forget. Yeah part of the criticism is a rich man and his money but lots of good things are going to come out of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s awesome multiple private companies are developing reusable rockets. This will only further space exploration

Yeah, it will open up the final frontier to more people than just the cosmetologists. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, deadshank said:

How old are you?

48 later this year.  My mom was my dad's second wife and was 30 years younger than he was.  He was 63 when I was born; he died at 80 when I was 16.  I have 3 half-brothers around my mom's age (2 already dead) and a sister eleven years older than I.  He was a bad mama-jama.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

48 later this year.  My mom was my dad's second wife and was 30 years younger than he was.  He was 63 when I was born.  3 half siblings my mom's age (2 already dead) and a sister eleven years older than I. 

Wow.  Your old man must have some serious game and jam to keep it spitting that late in life.

Props to Pops!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Wow.  Your old man must have some serious game and jam to keep it spitting that late in life.

Props to Pops!

Yeah.  At his funeral, his golfing buddy/pastor eulogized him, describing him as "the turk of manly men." 

Understanding his ability to procreate in his later life, I got snipped after my second kid, just in case.

Edited by dcbc

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

48 later this year.  My mom was my dad's second wife and was 30 years younger than he was.  He was 63 when I was born; he died at 80 when I was 16.  I have 3 half-brothers around my mom's age (2 already dead) and a sister eleven years older than I.  He was a bad mama-jama.

Was your dad Abraham?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'll chime in that I find the whole thing to be cool as hell, even if it had been cooler if the rocket had looked like the Big Boy.  I'll never get over watching Stage 1 land itself like some fake ass looking 1930s sci-fi bit.  Super villain or not, a private citizen and other private citizens just went into space on a privately constructed rocket (again).  My old man, who was born on this day 111 years ago was beyond pumped that the moon landing happened on his birthday and would have cashed in my college fund, the beer money, and my sister to have gotten the opportunity to be a passenger on something like this.  Please forgive me for forgetting about the starving children that could have been fed and the overworked Amazon workers because that stuff definitely isn't right.  But damn I love watching manned rocket launches.

Lulz. Basically too old for wwii

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Was your dad Abraham?

Nah.  He was a lapsed Episcopalian from Deadwood, who came to Houston by way of Denver.  Plus, I don't recall his ever being asked to sacrifice any of us.

Edited by dcbc

18 hours ago, Captainant said:

wow they got to unclip and float around in their capsule for a bit

BFD. You too can experience weightlessness for only 7.5K. And you don't have to pay slave wages to thousands of employees or ruin local businesses across America to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Gravity_Corporation

As of July 2021, the price of a flight for a single passenger starts at US$7,500.[11] The unique Weightless Weddings Experience is also included in the list of services [12] Noah and Erin Fulmor were the first couple to get married in weightlessness.[13]

Fliers undergo a brief training session before embarking.[14][full citation needed] A flight lasts 90 to 100 minutes,[15][full citation needed] and consists of fifteen parabolas, each of which simulates about 30 seconds of reduced gravity:[15] one that simulates Martian gravity (one-third of Earth's), two that simulate Lunar gravity (one-sixth of Earth's), and 12 that simulate weightlessness.[16] Each parabola begins with the aircraft climbing at a 45-degree angle at approximately 23,000 feet (7,000 m), peaks at 32,000 ft (9,800 m), and ends with the aircraft pointed down at a 30-degree angle.

This is how they train astronauts. They also filmed weightless scenes from Apollo 13 in a Boeing 707 made up to look like an Apollo capsule.

Which makes me wonder if those "astronauts" had trained before their flight in a similar manner.

The big deal is being lost in the hype. What should be getting the attention is the development of a reusable rocket, specifically the engineering required to land it. Skip to about 9:30 in the video:

Edited by High Plains Drifter

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

specifically the engineering required to land it.

My jaw drops every time I see that.  It's like 1930's sci-fi or Bugs Bunny or some shit.  If I saw something like that in a movie 20 years ago, I'd say it was completely unrealistic.

Also, the air burst the capsule lets out so they don't have to "splash down" in the ocean is pretty cool too.

Edited by dcbc