Chicago cops murder 13 year old point blank

Message Board User

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know if that’s accurate. Maybe it was 1 second. Maybe it was 1.2 seconds. But let’s accept that it was .8 seconds for the sake of argument. That’s more than enough time for the human brain to process the fact that he dropped the gun. Why did the cop order him to drop the gun in the first place? Why didn’t he just shoot him in the back while he was running away? Would you be defending the cop if he had done so? I assume you would since you’re defending a cop for killing a kid who tried to obey his orders. Dropped the gun, stopped and put his hands in the air, got killed. That’s indefensible.

Did you ever see The Graduate? There’s a scene where Mrs. Robinson slips naked into a room with Ben. Her bare breast is on screen for a lot less than .8 seconds but it was still more than enough time for you to know that you saw Anne Bancroft’s titty. If the athletes on your favorite sports team take longer than .8 seconds to read and react to what the athletes on the other team are doing then you’re probably following a losing sports team. 

Your analogy is regarded

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, williemackgarza said:

Lets see the vids of blm leaders, celebrities and/or politicians as a result of this police shooting say:
-dont run from or fight the police
-dont carry guns
-dont join gangs

If theyre so scared of getting killed by the police shouldnt this message come out.

Ill hang up and listen

That might illicit change, bro.  We just out here trying to make a little money.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Lets see the vids of blm leaders, celebrities and/or politicians as a result of this police shooting say:
-dont carry guns
-dont join gangs

If theyre so scared of getting killed by the police shouldnt this message come out.

Ill hang up and listen

I mean.....y’all realize that there are community leaders, big and small, or just communicating that message but doing work on the ground, on exactly those things....you actually know that. You do. It just doesn’t grab headlines, because it happens every day, all over. It’s boring and repetitive work, so it doesn’t get sensational coverage. But it happens. A lot.

3:30 "I didn't understand how importance compliance was..."  Dude sounds racist and like Fox propaganda, obviously doesn't "get it". - half of Surly Posters, half of the time

He was suckered into a trap where they rigged the system to force him to shoot. Guy was a fool for falling for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean.....y’all realize that there are community leaders, big and small, or just communicating that message but doing work on the ground, on exactly those things....you actually know that. You do. It just doesn’t grab headlines, because it happens every day, all over. It’s boring and repetitive work, so it doesn’t get sensational coverage. But it happens. A lot.

Show your work from a community large or small.

In this case the order of culpability imo:

Kid's parents

Adult who gave him or gave him access to gun

The cop.

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

-dont carry guns
-dont join gangs

Ill hang up and listen

Philando Castile would say Eat a dick, but he can’t cause he did all the above and was still murdered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Kid's parents

The cop.

Agreed the culpability is non-zero for the first 2 but we wouldn’t even have this convo if not for the third one making a mistake. Guns don’t kill people, people do, am I doing that right here for #3?

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

-dont carry guns
-dont join gangs

Ill hang up and listen

Do I really need to list the people killed by cops that didn't run or fight the cops, wasn't carrying a gun, and wasn't in a gang? This is such lazy bullshit. And yeah let's continue expecting more out of citizens instead of the gang in blue getting paid to protect and serve. One is supposed to be trained for those situations, the other isn't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kid's parents

The cop.

Seriously? Google is your friend. Check out churches, local community groups, etc, in any city of any size. Again, you aren’t going to find a story on Fox, or CNN, except for the rare super feel good story. Homeboy industries is one of those, for example.

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Care to reckon what comes with the job of being a gang member? 

Sure. Are all of these unarmed people being shot by cops gang members?  I am not talking about this particular incident. This is a systemic issue. Cops need to not fire unless fired upon. That should be the rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am not talking about this particular incident.

Well this is a thread for a particular incident, shitty thread title up top should have told you. 

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Cops need to not fire unless fired upon. That should be the rule. 

I assume if you are good with military ROE, you are good with giving police military grade weaponry, and an expectation that once fired on, suspect is expected to be taken out.  Not shot back at, then help called and all that jazz. Threat to be fully extinguished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Well this is a thread for a particular incident, shitty thread title up top should have told you. 

I assume if you are good with military ROE, you are good with giving police military grade weaponry, and an expectation that once fired on, suspect is expected to be taken out.  Not shot back at, then help called and all that jazz. Threat to be fully extinguished. 

Seems a bit disingenuous dude.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah....well.....but....but....systemic Trump errr raci....

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not sure if you've been paying attention but they haven't been in the business of leaving people alive to tell their side of the story anyway.

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t especially care if he was armed or not. Did he shoot at the cop?  No?  Then why is the cop shooting him?

Because the cop (like any other person) is not required to wait until the other person shoots in order to defend himself under the law.  While I'm not sure of the precise formulation of Illinois law regarding self-defense involving deadly force, I suspect it's something along the lines of . . . as long as the shooter was in reasonable fear for his life, he's entitled to use deadly force to defend himself.  

The focus in this case is going to be on whether it was reasonable for the cop to be in fear for his life given that the kid's hands were empty and he was "showing" them as commanded by the cop.  The cop's defense will focus on the fact that the kid had a handgun in his hands up until a split second prior to the shooting and the cop did not see the kid toss the gun. 

When I first saw the video, I thought it was a bad shoot for sure  Now that I've watched it more carefully and am aware of additional facts (kid had been in the company of another gangbanger who had discharged several shots prior to the incident, kid had a handgun in his possession during the foot pursuit but tossed it less than a second prior to the shooting, etc.), it's a closer call IMO.      

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously? Google is your friend. Check out churches, local community groups, etc, in any city of any size. Again, you aren’t going to find a story on Fox, or CNN, except for the rare super feel good story. Homeboy industries is one of those, for example.

No seriously.  Homeboy industries sounds like a great program but off point .  It's  tattoo removal and taking rehab for bad early life decisions.  Where is the outcry that a 13 year old was running around on the streets at 3am with a fucking gun.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, achooloco said:

O rly? 

Link

Yes. They have some stupid trucks and bullshit. My point is if you want them to play by the same rules, why shouldn’t they be fully equipped in the same manner?  I’m talking the same exact guns, body armor, budget.   Does it matter if the person who’s shooting at you is afghani or a Houstonian? 

Seems like a whole lot for 25-50 gray area shoots a year, in a county of 300m people.  Especially to someone who will not be running from the police with a unlicensed weapon.  But sure, let’s make it even easier for Lil’ Homicide and his buddies to do hood rat shit. 

18 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

No seriously.  Homeboy industries sounds like a great program but off point .  It's  tattoo removal and taking rehab for bad early life decisions.  Where is the outcry that a 13 year old was running around on the streets at 3am with a fucking gun.

It’s Chicago. If they don’t give a fuck why should I?  Or any of us really? Should we really give a fuck? Or just canonize the wrong ones?

“The victims include 7-year old Heaven Sutton, shot to death selling candy outside her house; and 10-year old Kitanna Peterson, shot as she played in the spray from a fire hydrant. She was treated at the trauma center last week.

“They just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Starr said. “They’re collateral damage to some of the violence that is happening out on the streets.”

Should we give a fuck? I do not see any protestors giving a fuck. Maybe tiktok will tell us. Or YouTube? Or Instagram? Or China? Since it seems like most folk have no clue that China is in collusion with Russia. 

• Like 1

I mean y’all could read Tom Clancy’s books. He was right. China and Russia are tight enough to conduct multiple military exercises every year. 

not sure if these links are cool (worthy):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/17/russia-conducts-tsentr-2019-military-exercises-with-china-and-india.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rfi.fr/en/international/20200921-russia-china-launch-massive-caucasus-2020-military-exercises-belarus-iran-pakistan-ukraine-us-nato

I can’t imagine why we are burning down cities but if people actually stopped to “think” a bit. We are being played and stupid is as stupid does. 

Not sure if you've been paying attention but they haven't been in the business of leaving people alive to tell their side of the story anyway.

What’s the percentage on that? Is it 99.9% plus that do live and can talk about it? Or is it thousands of deaths a day who can’t tell their story because murder???
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

What’s the percentage on that? Is it 99.9% plus that do live and can talk about it? Or is it thousands of deaths a day who can’t tell their story because murder???

Cops need to do some PR.  Start releasing vest cam videos in the millions where they do the right thing in a dangerous situation.  

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Herein lies the problem. This should not be the law. 

What should the law of self defense be then?

And there is an objective component.  Shooter can’t just have a subjective reasonable belief he was at risk of death or serious bodily injury.  It must also be an objectively reasonable belief based on facts and circumstances.   So shit the shooter didn’t know at the time is irrelevant.  

The law of self defense makes sense to me. If someone comes at you with a baseball bat you should be allowed to use deadly force to stop the threat.  Not give them one free swing before having the right to defend yourself.  

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And there is an objective component.  Shooter can’t just have a subjective reasonable belief he was at risk of death or serious bodily injury.  It must also be an objectively reasonable belief based on facts and circumstances.   So shit the shooter didn’t know at the time is irrelevant.  

The law of self defense makes sense to me. If someone comes at you with a baseball bat you should be allowed to use deadly force to stop the threat.  Not give them one free swing before having the right to defend yourself.  

I agree. Unless you are a cop and willingly signed up for the job. Then you become unique in the eyes of the law. You have to live up to a higher standard. With great power comes great responsibility. Some spider-human mutant said that I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, I guess that would be one way to handle Mike Trout.
  • Haha 1

Exactly. The argument that it was a good shoot because he thought the kid had a gun in his hand and the kid turned around, faced the officers, and started raising his hand fails because, you know, the only reason the kid turned around, faced the officers and started raising his hand is because that's exactly what the officer instructed him to do.

I’m really torn on this one. After watching it several times, I feel like I must be hearing it differently than some of y’all. I hear the officer saying “stop. Show me your hands. Drop it.” Bang. I don’t hear him tell the kid to turn around. Also, him saying “drop it” right as the kid turns would indicate he thought he was still armed. And if he didn’t say “turn around” then I could see how the cop could think the kid was turning to shoot. Maybe I just suck at hearing though. Still tragic either way.

35 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’m really torn on this one. After watching it several times, I feel like I must be hearing it differently than some of y’all. I hear the officer saying “stop. Show me your hands. Drop it.” Bang. I don’t hear him tell the kid to turn around. Also, him saying “drop it” right as the kid turns would indicate he thought he was still armed. And if he didn’t say “turn around” then I could see how the cop could think the kid was turning to shoot. Maybe I just suck at hearing though. Still tragic either way.

He didn't say turn around. He said show me your hands, but from that position it would have required the kid to turn around. It definitely isn't murder. There was no criminal intent there. But the procedure and commands weren't ideal. I think the situation sucks and I want us to try and learn from it. 

Larger picture, I do think cops should operate with the default rule to not fire unless actually attacked (subject to approved deviations for certain encounters). Or, at least we should explore implementing that rule. I think either that or simply taking the guns away from most officers (e.g., the UK). When a hammer is your only tool, everything looks like a nail.