2021 Property Tax Values are out

MAUFRAIS

Good lord, I just looked! Glad to have that HS cap being used for something I guess.

Just took a look at my buddies house and his went from 1.49 -> 2.37 🤮

County is out for blood I see.  slowing down the people moving here?!?...

Edited by ZB'Tejas

Travis cad is far from an upright operation, wasn’t always the case, it started about 6 yrs ago.

With that said, you guys have to keep in mind these increases are based on 2 years of appreciation since they didn’t increase home values last year. So you really should be asking “has my home appreciated ~20% since Jan 1 2019”. And per the tax code, they are required to value property at full market value, and I’m willing to wager the majority of you think your home is worth more than their new values, even with the bump.

Sorry for being preachy guy, I really hate property taxes as a form of funding and I’m in the prop tax biz. It’s a total racket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
9 hours ago, LebongJames said:
These fuckers know there is almost no way to protest this year either.

Why would there be no way to protest?

Because of what homes are selling for. Although my assessment jumped pretty significantly, it is still not to the level of what homes are selling for in our neighborhood. 

45 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Put in a pool last year. I have a HS cap but it's not at 10%, more like 13%.  If you've made an improvement, how does the HS cap work?  Can they raise accessed 10% plus some amount of the improvement?  Appraised value is about 20% increase.

(I think) The valuation goes up, but your taxes will only go up the cap percent. But next year is another 10% taxable bump. So it smoothes it and slows it down, but eventually catches up.

I figure even at my valuation if I did a FSBO sign I'd have 5 cash offers well over by Sunday night. So I ain't gonna protest. 

20 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Ours went up ~400k. Homestead knocked it down to ~225k increase (pre-protest)

Have to pay for that train somehow I guess.

TCAD has nothing to do with the city of Austin. Council has been trying to build more housing units but anti density fuckers have sued to stop them. If you want to blame someone, blame Fred Lewis and the other jokers that think single family lots have to be protected above everything else. Don't blame the fucking train for surly rep from all the olds here who hate everything Austin. 

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

TCAD has nothing to do with the city of Austin. Council has been trying to build more housing units but anti density fuckers have sued to stop them. If you want to blame someone, blame Fred Lewis and the other jokers that think single family lots have to be protected above everything else. Don't blame the fucking train for surly rep from all the olds here who hate everything Austin. 

Could I blame the 130k per homeless person (not counting all of the overages on 911 calls) COA is spending?

Rather than blame home owners that are being raked over coals with property taxes for not wanting multi-family housing next to their SF home when the schools their kids go to are already over crowded and crappy with the current load of students maybe look at ALL of the waste that the council and mayor stuff into the system.

I thought the train was a complete fucking waste of $ as no one uses the current train, CV19 is changing how people will work going forward and unless Austin does something to discourage aggressive panhandling the few people that would use the new train set up will quickly tire being fucked with on a daily basis.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Could I blame the 130k per homeless person (not counting all of the overages on 911 calls) COA is spending?

Rather than blame home owners that are being raked over coals with property taxes for not wanting multi-family housing next to their SF home when the schools their kids go to are already over crowded and crappy with the current load of students maybe look at ALL of the waste that the council and mayor stuff into the system.

I thought the train was a complete fucking waste of $ as no one uses the current train, CV19 is changing how people will work going forward and unless Austin does something to discourage aggressive panhandling the few people that would use the new train set up will quickly tire being fucked with on a daily basis.

What the fuck are you talking about spending for? Your taxes didn't grow that much because of the tax rate. They grew because of the appraisal. It's also extremely stupid and uninformed to compare a commuter trail line (which is filled to capacity at rush hour) to an urban light rail train but that's not shocking considering how you don't seem to understand the difference between tax rate and appraisal. Anyway, I'm sure it'll still get you infinity rep in the DT.

TLDR: Complaining about rising property taxes while also defending blocking multifamily housing is like complaining about a sore butt as you violently fist your own asshole.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

(I think) The valuation goes up, but your taxes will only go up the cap percent. But next year is another 10% taxable bump. So it smoothes it and slows it down, but eventually catches up.

I figure even at my valuation if I did a FSBO sign I'd have 5 cash offers well over by Sunday night. So I ain't gonna protest. 

Right, but the cap should be 10% and mine is capped at 13%.  I'm guessing my pool allows them to go above 10% but not sure the rules/formula for it.

Just now, Pasken said:

What the fuck are you talking about spending for? Your taxes didn't grow that much because of the tax rate. They grew because of the appraisal. It's also extremely stupid and uninformed to compare a commuter trail line (which is filled to capacity at rush hour) to an urban light rail train but that's not shocking considering how you don't seem to understand the difference between tax rate and appraisal. Anyway, I'm sure it'll still get you infinity rep in the DT.

TLDR: Complaining about rising property taxes while also defending blocking multifamily housing is like complaining about a sore butt as you violently fist your own asshole.

The appraisal is used to create a pool of dollars that then get spent. It is not a simple "appraisal" that ties to nothing. There is an end number that the various components that receive dollars need to see achieved. I don't believe that the taxing authority just lets the chips fall where they may and potentially ends up short if say appraisals dropped well below the budget needs of the various constituents that are fed by property taxes. There are way too many mouths to feed downstream for that to happen. Property taxes did increase due to the train. A median Austin homeowner is expected to pay $316-$450 more due to the propositions passing. I am not a median homeowner so a bigger portion of my YoY increase is due to the passage of Prop A. Regardless of what type of rail line is operating today it is only @ ~2.4% of its planned 2025 benchmark of passengers.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/transportation/2020/10/13/breaking-down-the-numbers-for-project-connect-here-is-what-tax-bills-would-look-like-for-austin-homeowners/

You are kidding yourself if you think the rail system will be at all successful. You can put all the amazing mockups of full trains and happy passengers riding into downtown that you want. At the end of the day there will not be people using whatever train system put in place, it is just a circle jerk will not materialize the usage you hope it will.

I can just figure you don't have kids in Austin schools if you believe that the answer to the crowding in class rooms/portables everywhere etc is to add more density to the same schools. I get that conceivably those units would pay a higher tax burden. Challenge is unless having proximity to multiple duplex/quadplexes next my single family home drops the value of my property enough to drastically reduce my property tax load it makes no sense as I would rather my kids not have 25-30 kids/class if it can be avoided.

• Hook 'Em 1

I knew the appraisals and property taxes would go up a lot for my Travis Heights properties but the shocker was my duplex off Walsh Tarlton Ln. The value went up 500k  which is a 70.7% increase.  One. Year. That is BS. 

Taxes on that one duplex went from $15800 to $27100 or $941/month more. At my current rental rates it will take about 6 months to just cover the property taxes. The rule used to be 3 months of rent would pay the property tax

What The Hell

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

I knew the appraisals and property taxes would go up a lot for my Travis Heights properties but the shocker was my duplex off Walsh Tarlton Ln. The value went up 500k  which is a 70.7% increase.  One. Year. That is BS. 

Taxes on that one duplex went from $15800 to $27100 or $941/month more. At my current rental rates it will take about 6 months to just cover the property taxes. The rule used to be 3 months of rent would pay the property tax

What The Hell

Technically that's a 2 year jump since they didn't do appraisals last year but that's still bullshit. Hope you can protest.

• Fuck You 1

While I agree that I’m getting a raw deal with the massive increase. (and I fully intend to protest) I can’t say that it’s beyond what I could have sold it for at the beginning of the year.

Any of you think they got raised well beyond the “actual” value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk