2021 Property Tax Values are out

MAUFRAIS

Couple tweaks to the way we assess/tax commercial properties/raw land...we could completely revamp our broken school funding model and do away with confiscatory property taxes on middle-class/elderly home owners as well as renters.  

But then our state leaders couldn't take credit for "creating 10,000 new jobs" which is a complete farce as we all know.  

On 4/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, Texas73 said:

I own a duplex on Walsh Tarlton Ln that went from $707, 000 to $1,207, 000, a 71% increase. Went. Up. $500,000 in one year. Taxes went from $15.8k to 27k.  

And it would not sell for $1.2M.  I could accept something around $900k but not $1.2M. It is a screw job. 

could you raise rent to cover?

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

could you raise rent to cover?

I did. I went up $600/side when I leased them. Eanes ISD with Cedar Creek Elementary and Hill Country a 5 minute walk is a big draw. Each side is one story, 3-2-2, updated and the single family houses in Bee Caves Woods are $2k more than I get.

14 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

I got called horrible things by my tenant when I told them the rent was going up $400/ month just to cover taxes. They did me a favor by not renewing though, because then someone from of town offered to pay twice that increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Shit is getting absurd. Where is all this extra revenue going? If anything everything has gotten substantially worse. 

Sidewalks. Those little sticks you see on roads around town. Hotels for the homeless. Billion dollar tunnels and trains to go in them. Mostly empty electric buses to replace mostly empty non-electric buses. And a lot of Robin Hood.

6 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Sidewalks. Those little sticks you see on roads around town. Hotels for the homeless. Billion dollar tunnels and trains to go in them. Mostly empty electric buses to replace mostly empty non-electric buses. And a lot of Robin Hood.

Don’t forget $125 million dollar library downtown. 

You know, for the kids. 

Or the $15 million dollar bike bridge that runs parallel to Mopac near 360. 

You know, for working class transportation 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Don’t forget $125 million dollar library downtown. 

You know, for the kids. 

Or the $15 million dollar bike bridge that runs parallel to Mopac near 360. 

You know, for working class transportation 

I actually saw a guy in a sportcoat biking up there about a week or two ago.  He was almost to Via Fortuna (maybe he works in that office complex).  But I almost got into an accident i was so fucking shocked to see somebody up on that trail.  The million dollar cyclist we call him now.

We decided it was too risky to host the Texas Book Festival up/down Congress Avenue and in the Capitol as we usually do.  So a truncated version will still be held in person between Symphony Square and the Central Library.  Plus a bunch of online sessions.  City of Austin still charged us a fucking arm and a leg to use the Central Library for the half-day.  Fucking ridiculous.  I said we should just show up with the authors and attendees and just host sessions wherever the fuck we want.  There's not gonna be anybody in there using the fucking place anyway.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, UTHornFan014 said:

The city of Austin went all-in on our tax value increase in 2021. They increased it ~55% from 2019 with only minimal updates to the property. Texas Protax was able to get the 2021 value down about 30% after the protest.

Wow, I just got my protest results from Texas Protax.  Down 33%.  That's unexpected and quite nice.

Edit:  looks like what actually happened was the county tried to jack up my value 65%, but Texas Protax kept it to the 10% homestead increase.

Edited by Biff Tannen

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, MAUFRAIS said:

Look into that. You probably don’t owe them any money.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Except for the $100 they will take regardless of outcome

So  I have to give some credit where its due regarding Protax.    Back in 2020 when they changed the fee structure to the $75 pre payment fee (no matter what), I refused to sign that contract.

I guess so many other folks didnt sign that either so they called me around March 2020 or so and gave me the offer for what I though was the old contingency fee contract. 

They went ahead and waived the upfront fee and went back to the contingency fee structure.    Or so I thought.

for 2020 taxes, they saved me a whopping $60 actual dollars, and true to their word, they charged me only ~$20 for my fee in 2020. 

However, for this year, they obviously couldnt save me anything.  They did get the value reduced by something like $20k

so I was really fucking surprised when I got a $48 fee invoice in Nov.   turns out they had included a small line item in the revised contract with a property value reduction fee regardless of actual tax savings. 

so yeah, that was a fucking shock.  I did spent the next few weeks trying to talk to someone with authority there. 

they finally agreed to waive the fee as long as I either understood it would be charged this coming year,  or  I  closed my account.

being as my current HS cap is $200k below the damn appraised value, it pretty much means I couldnt get any savings for the next 3-4 years.

So I accepted the fee to be waived and closed my account with Protax.

would rather have kept them, but that fee on reduced savings means I cant continue to use them. 

59 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

So  I have to give some credit where its due regarding Protax.    Back in 2020 when they changed the fee structure to the $75 pre payment fee (no matter what), I refused to sign that contract.

I guess so many other folks didnt sign that either so they called me around March 2020 or so and gave me the offer for what I though was the old contingency fee contract. 

They went ahead and waived the upfront fee and went back to the contingency fee structure.    Or so I thought.

for 2020 taxes, they saved me a whopping $60 actual dollars, and true to their word, they charged me only ~$20 for my fee in 2020. 

However, for this year, they obviously couldnt save me anything.  They did get the value reduced by something like $20k

so I was really fucking surprised when I got a $48 fee invoice in Nov.   turns out they had included a small line item in the revised contract with a property value reduction fee regardless of actual tax savings. 

so yeah, that was a fucking shock.  I did spent the next few weeks trying to talk to someone with authority there. 

they finally agreed to waive the fee as long as I either understood it would be charged this coming year,  or  I  closed my account.

being as my current HS cap is $200k below the damn appraised value, it pretty much means I couldnt get any savings for the next 3-4 years.

So I accepted the fee to be waived and closed my account with Protax.

would rather have kept them, but that fee on reduced savings means I cant continue to use them. 

Good to know. I tried to make sense of my bill when I got it as I owed around $250 on "savings" on appraised value (none on assessed). I tried to find my record of whether I had already prepaid some amount earlier in the year as I would have expected that to be deducted from the total invoice but I didn't see it. Was that deduction changed this past year?

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Good to know. I tried to make sense of my bill when I got it as I owed around $250 on "savings" on appraised value (none on assessed). I tried to find my record of whether I had already prepaid some amount earlier in the year as I would have expected that to be deducted from the total invoice but I didn't see it. Was that deduction changed this past year?

no idea.  I honeslty think it depends on which contract you are on.  the "new" contract they sent out in early 2020 telling everyone they were going to charge you $75 to use their service no matter what, and that it would be a deposit against any savings.... that one might still just be $75 per year. 

but I know for sure in my case, i didnt sign that contract,

The one I signed  was presented to me as the old contingency version, with either no mention of the new "appraised value savings charge", or mentioned in such a way that it wouldnt have made any sense.

and in the case of folks who have been in their homes for the last 5-7 years or so, the extreme home value increases have meant that we are 3-5 years out from max price increases on our assessed taxes before we come close to the current assessed value. 

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Does anyone know if there is a reporting mechanism, or a statistic anywhere that can directly relate the percentage increase in tax valuations directly to all of the bonds approved by voters in the last 5 years?

I don’t think the valuations have anything to do with the bonds - those would only impact the tax rate. 

Unless you think the bonds (transportation, medical district, transit, etc.) make the city more desirable, in which case that would impact the value of the city. 

On 1/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, Orange&White said:

Does anyone know if there is a reporting mechanism, or a statistic anywhere that can directly relate the percentage increase in tax valuations directly to all of the bonds approved by voters in the last 5 years?

When I first moved to Texas I thought it would be a similar type structure.  I assumed each school district would set an annual budget.  Property valuations would be used to determine your payment or percent of that total budget.  So if you had a $100K valued house and it increased 10% to 110K, but the overall value of property in your school district increased by 15% on average, then you would pay LESS in taxes because your portion of the total school district property values went down and it would be applied to a fixed annual budget amount.

The idea that property values would be done annually and if values went up the school district got more money without regard to budgeting and planning made no sense.

Of course with Robin Hood it really means that if property values go up everyone pays more to get approximately the same school district budget but the school district pays more to the State who then gives it to other school districts.  Or the State lowers the per student amount they give everyone which would be paid from other revenue sources and they use the additional tax/Robin Hood funds to cover the state paying less of the per student bill.

Great system.  Clear as mud.