Whole Gutted Snapper From HEB?

Cousin Strawberry

HEB has whole, gutted but unscaled Red Snapper for $11.99 per pound. That seems like a good deal considering all you have to do is fillet it and take it off the skin or scale it and cook it whole and you pay 1/2 the price for fillets.  My Dad never filleted anything. We gutted and skinned catfish and ate them whole.  We gutted and scaled bream and bass and ate them whole.  It seems like a no brainer to buy the whole gutted snapper and then just fillet or scale it.  If you have purchased whole snapped from the HEB, how is the freshness?

Check the eyes of the fish.  If they are even kind of cloudy, don't buy it.  If they are clear, then the fish should be fine to eat.  With respect to the price, yes, $12.0 per pound for fresh red snapper is a great deal.  However, if you are buying the fish whole, even gutted, you aren't getting just the filet, so it's not really $12.0 per pound of what you eat...you will have to do the math after estimating the weight of the head, spine, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

the eye clearness is a good test, as is the redness of the gills.  third test is smell.  heb does a great job of time stamping and quality control so i'm sure it's good.  its easy to skin a snapper.   no need to scale it.  

I think people like crispy skin of fish. Scaling is better.

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

man i've rarely seen fresh snapper at HEB.  your best bet is 99 ranch or HMart to be honest.  it'll be fresher and cheaper than HEB.  and they'll scale it for you.

Tip:  HEB will also scale the fish for no additional charge.

PRO TIP:  They will also fillet it if you want.

• Like 1

If it has a Gulf Wild tag, you can see where and when it was caught. And you should always have the house scale the thing for you. Unless you have experience,  it's fins will make you bleed and throb in pain, plus a snapper's scales are about the size of a guitar pick,  it's not like scaling a trout with a butter knife, have to put in a little work.