FedEx going through Indy will be slightly delayed

RPM

Eight people were killed during a mass shooting at the FedEx Ground Plainfield Operations Center late Thursday, according to Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson Genae Cook.

The victims were found dead at the scene, Cook said during a briefing after 3 a.m. Friday. The dead  had injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. The gunman was found dead in what is believed to be a suicide nearby. 

"We are being made aware of multiple other people with injuries who have been transported to local hospitals or who have transported themselves to local hospitals," she said. 

Four people were transported by ambulance, with one in critical condition with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. Three others were transported with various other injuries, according to police. Two people were treated at the scene and released. Multiple others walked into different local hospitals.

"This is a tragedy," Cook said.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/16/fedex-shooting-indianapolis/7249099002/

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

It looks like FedEx is re-evaluating their policy about allowing workers to have their phones with them. Since most all had theirs locked up per company policy at the time of the shooting. 

It’s terrible that someone feels so lost they want to take their own life. But my sympathy ends when that person decides to murder strangers prior to taking their own life. Doesn’t sound like the guy made it past the security point where badges are checked. Employees said he was shouting things they didn’t understand. 

47 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Roger Ebert offers an explanation years ago:

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

Unfortunately, our society celebrates shootings with more attention, coverage, and thought than any major sports championship. Shooters want attention and they get it. We click on articles, turn on TVs, text our friends about and....post it on message boards for discussion.

Sadly, there are numerous types of negative events that the press and social media love, and we eat it immediately. 

Imagine if we had a world where more positivity and logic controlled the media and social media.

Completely agree with the general sentiment behind this message, but have no idea how to practically implement it.

The news obviously can't just ignore mass shootings, and we, as a society, sadly, are way more fascinated by the perpetrator and his/her story than pretty much any other facet. It's why the History Channel airs a new show about Hitler every week.

There is a pretty big difference from a psycho clown that grabs a gun and kills a few people to a psycho that mobilizes a country to try to conquer Europe and eradicate populations based on ethnicity, test scores, genetics, and religion.

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Completely agree with the general sentiment behind this message, but have no idea how to practically implement it.

The news obviously can't just ignore mass shootings, and we, as a society, sadly, are way more fascinated by the perpetrator and his/her story than pretty much any other facet. It's why the History Channel airs a new show about Hitler every week.

We could maybe not identify the shooter and profile them on the news. I’m sure social media will do those things but maybe that won’t be sufficient to feed the shooters’ and potential shooters’ egos.  Focus on the victims. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Here’s precisely how we do it.

Delete Facebook and Instagram. It’s fucking worthless. A fucking nerd owns owns the biggest social platforms. It spreads horrible news and conspiracies founded in lunacy.

When your neighbor fucks up, talk to him. Don’t post it on NextDoor.

When a shooting happens focus on the victims and their families don’t mention the shooter at all. Don’t hold him up high and put his name in the history books.

When some racist fuck goes on a tirade, don’t give him a voice. Don’t retweet him. Tell him he’s a twat to his face and punch him in the face. His statement will die right there.

Lastly, I’ll continue to post this video as it’s completely accurate.

Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis!!!!!!

Understand what that really means. It is motherfucking true!

/end rant

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I assume the shooter was an employee? I don't think it's a coincidence that there have been shootings like this at high stress jobs like FedEx, USPS, etc. I wonder if the high pace these companies demand is just too much for most people. My friend that worked at a UPS sorting facility in the early 90s would tell me they only gave you so many seconds per package to route that shit and they were watching. I bet the Amazon fulfilment warehouses are a timebomb as well.

Authorities identified the shooter as a young man in his 20s. They said they could not yet say why he opened fire with a rifle late Thursday night at a FedEx processing center near the Indianapolis airport.

Police Chief Randal Taylor also noted that a “significant” number of employees at the facility are members of the Sikh community. 

Deputy Chief Craig McCartt of the Indianapolis police said the gunman started randomly shooting at people in the parking lot and then went into the building and continued firing. He said the gunman apparently died by suicide shortly before police entered the building.

“There was no confrontation with anyone that was there,” he said. “There was no disturbance, there was no argument. He just appeared to randomly start shooting.”

A witness said that he was working inside the building when he heard several gunshots in rapid succession.

“I see a man come out with a rifle in his hand and he starts firing and he starts yelling stuff that I could not understand,” Levi Miller told WTHR-TV. “What I ended up doing was ducking down to make sure he did not see me because I thought he would see me and he would shoot me.”

https://apnews.com/article/fedex-indianapolis-mass-shooting-e92ad3117c56357b3b2c71a2903e68a8

https://nypost.com/2021/04/16/fedex-shooter-idd-as-19-year-old-brandon-scott-hole/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

The man who killed eight people at an Indiana FedEx facility was identified as 19-year-old Brandon Scott Hole — as police revealed there are a “significant” number of Sikh community members who work at the targeted site, according to reports.

Hole was identified by law enforcement sources to NBC News.

Authorities are still scrambling to learn why he opened fire with a rifle at the plant near the Indianapolis International Airport, killing eight and wounding five others. (snip)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

again... stop fucking publishing his name.   stop retweeting info about the fucking shooter.

discuss the victims and their families, and the harm it caused them. the pain they are feeling. and dont fucking mention the asshole's name every again.

as stated above, the folks that have decided to do this are doing it specifically because SOMEWHERE in their fucked up brain they know they will be famous posthumously.  And thats all they need to perpetrate these kind of events.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/16/fedex-shooter-idd-as-19-year-old-brandon-scott-hole/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

The man who killed eight people at an Indiana FedEx facility was identified as 19-year-old Brandon Scott Hole — as police revealed there are a “significant” number of Sikh community members who work at the targeted site, according to reports.

Hole was identified by law enforcement sources to NBC News.

Authorities are still scrambling to learn why he opened fire with a rifle at the plant near the Indianapolis International Airport, killing eight and wounding five others. (snip)

B. Hole was a real A-hole.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

again... stop fucking publishing his name.   stop retweeting info about the fucking shooter.

discuss the victims and their families, and the harm it caused them. the pain they are feeling. and dont fucking mention the asshole's name every again.

as stated above, the folks that have decided to do this are doing it specifically because SOMEWHERE in their fucked up brain they know they will be famous posthumously.  And thats all they need to perpetrate these kind of events.

Yeah, but his last name was Hole.  I mean come on.  It's basically slapstick at that point.  We're just gettin' our kicks in America here, buddy.  I understand what you're getting at, but if a guy named something like Flute Noonan or Bullet McWoundington does some shooting we're gonna have to glance at the name.

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

We will have to start playing by different rules if we ever want this to stop. Gun laws will help but I dont think it will be enough. We have to have real deterrents that most of this country is not ready for. 

Red flag laws would have potentially prevented this - the guy's relatives were reporting him to the authorities, and the FBI even interviewed him.

18 minutes ago, Cajun said:

And red flag laws would have potentially not prevented this.

He might of just kept quiet, isolated, and/or gone at it that much sooner w/o a peep or indication of any kind.

Well, might as well not do anything - we've only had what, 15 or 20 mass shootings or whatever this year.

But this guy was known to the feds, and was an ex-employee who was disgruntled.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

I assume the shooter was an employee? I don't think it's a coincidence that there have been shootings like this at high stress jobs like FedEx, USPS, etc. I wonder if the high pace these companies demand is just too much for most people. My friend that worked at a UPS sorting facility in the early 90s would tell me they only gave you so many seconds per package to route that shit and they were watching. I bet the Amazon fulfilment warehouses are a timebomb as well.

I know right? FedEx UPS etc are the only high stress jobs out there. You’ve solved it. Did your friend shoot anyone?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

And red flag laws would have potentially not prevented this.

He might of just kept quiet, isolated, and/or gone at it that much sooner w/o a peep or indication of any kind.

His family warned authorities about him and he was interviewed by the FBI; this dude wasn't an unknown, he's been building up to this for a while and, apparently, a shit-load of people knew it. 

Fucking hell. 

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Red flag laws would have potentially prevented this - the guy's relatives were reporting him to the authorities, and the FBI even interviewed him.

Has anyone ever asked the FBI what THEY would change, given the chance? So many of these assholes are on their radar prior to tragedy. Is there any constitutional way to empower the FBI to actually intervene in these instances?

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

His family warned authorities about him and he was interviewed by the FBI; this dude wasn't an unknown, he's been building up to this for a while and, apparently, a shit-load of people knew it. 

Fucking hell. 

Wooosh

We will have to start playing by different rules if we ever want this to stop. Gun laws will help but I dont think it will be enough. We have to have real deterrents that most of this country is not ready for. 

A buddy and I were talking about this a couple months ago. I think I have the answer, and it makes me sick that we have gotten this far.

A lot of these killers off themselves anyway before being arrested, so I don't see increased punishment working very well as a deterrent.  Plus we still have that whole eighth amendment thing that we'd have to repeal first.

I know we aren't 'sposed to talk about these losers much, but apparently this guy was a big brony (My Little Pony fan) and posted something on social media about being with Applejack in the afterlife.

damn 4chan, you scary

https://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/317323888/fedex-shooter-was-a-brony

https://haenfler.sites.grinnell.edu/subcultures-and-scenes/bronies/

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the fourth generation of My Little Pony.  Hasbro originally launched the line of My Little Pony toys in 1981 with the hopes of attracting the attention of little girls.  Soon after, Hasbro started to make television shows for the franchise, beginning with the original in 1984 and continuing with two more versions of the show in 1992 and 2003 prior to the release of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in 2010.  Lauren Faust developed My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (MLP from now on), and the show follows the pony Twilight Sparkle as she explores the different aspects of friendship in the town of Ponyville.

Although the show—as the original toy franchise—targeted little girls as its audience, it has attracted the interest of many adults—mostly men—who call themselves “Bronies”.  After the first airing of MLP in 2010, there was an instant response from the unlikely audience of adult men on the anonymous message board 4chan (Schimpf 2015).  The discussion of MLP on 4chan led to conflict among Bronies and non-Bronies who insulted those who enjoyed the show; arguments escalated enough that 4chan began banning any user who mentioned MLP (Schimpf 2015:148).  4chan has since welcomed Bronies back to the site with a board specifically for MLP posts.  However, the rejection of Bronies on 4chan led them to create their own sites such as “Ponychan” and “Equestria Daily” (Schimpf 2015) to discuss the show in addition to utilizing other popular sites such as YouTube and deviantArt to post fan fiction and fan art (Silverstein 2013:102). 

The adult male interest in a show initially intended for little girls is not unique to Bronies.  Before there were Bronies, some adult men created a fandom around Barbie dolls.  Even more similar to Bronies, the show Powerpuff Girls—which was directed by Lauren Faust—had a strong adult male following due to the depth of the personality of characters in the show (Ellis 2015). 

The phrase, “I’m going to love and tolerate the shit out of you,” is common in Brony media and communication, and it exemplifies the Brony characteristic of inclusion.  Silverstein (2013) states that Bronies are, “kind, smart, understanding, tolerant, moral, friendly, harmonious, inclusive, respectful, caring,” and these aspects of Bronies are what create such a strong community.  A Brony I interviewed, a twenty-one-year-old male college student, claimed that it is the community that makes being a Brony special; everyone is fun and easy to talk to.

Edited by GringoSalado

On 4/16/2021 at 2:33 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

So protect the 2nd amendment fuck the 1st?

On 4/16/2021 at 8:01 AM, DaggerHorns said:

Roger Ebert offers an explanation years ago:

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

Unfortunately, our society celebrates shootings with more attention, coverage, and thought than any major sports championship. Shooters want attention and they get it. We click on articles, turn on TVs, text our friends about and....post it on message boards for discussion.

Sadly, there are numerous types of negative events that the press and social media love, and we eat it immediately. 

Imagine if we had a world where more positivity and logic controlled the media and social media.

We are told by the media that the news & entertainment media do not influence people to do these crazy things, that it is the evil NRA’s fault along with the gun manufacturers.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, Sandman said:

Newman articulated it quite well. And then the barcode reader breaks and it’s Publisher’s Clearinghouse day!