Colorado Cops Ensure 73 Year Old with Dementia Complies

956 Worldwide

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/colorado-woman-dementia-sues-police-214437264.html

Cops in Loveland take down a 73 year old with dementia while she’s picking flowers in a vacant lot.  Was-Mart had called the cops after she left within 14 bucks of items without paying. But store employees confronted her and she returned all the items before wandering off, confused.  Cops dislocated her shoulder and took her down three times because she was “kicking”.  Article says she weighs 80 pounds. They had her handcuffed to a bench for hours with a popped shoulder. The video is rough. It is absolutely clear that she has limited mental faculties when listening to her speak and look at the camera. 

Glad to see we are slowly moving beyond racial inequities to a world where even frail, elderly, mentally impaired white women have the right to get their ass beat by those who protect and serve. 

• Rage+1 8

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Glad to see we are slowly moving beyond racial inequities to a world where even frail, elderly, mentally impaired white women have the right to get their ass beat by those who protect and serve. 

I believe the saying is “everyone has equal rights to get their ass beat but some are more equal than others”

• Like 2

Just now, hookemATL said:

Too be fair it’s difficult to tell the difference between furtive movements  and Alzheimer’s shakes. Let’s let the facts play out and see if Gertrude was in the wrong. 

jk FAC

Well let's just dig up her previous misdeeds anyways because that will definitely justify the police actions

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Well let's just dig up her previous misdeeds anyways because that will definitely justify the police actions

Three counts of cheating at backgammon and two convictions for driving slow in the fast lane in a Buick. Hardened goddamned criminal!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

She probably had drugs in her system too.  I mean granted it’s because she’s 73 and has dementia.  But you never know, maybe those scrips caused that shoulder to pop out.  

Hey, that “victim” was holding a biological weapon in her hands and could have made the officers die from hay fever. She is a menace that needed to learn her place. Furthermore dementia is not a reason to not get roughed up by the cops and follow their order. You know how many deaf people they get to shoot?

Plus if she didnt want her bones broken she should have drank her milk or not got old.
/Brett Tehune

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Three counts of cheating at backgammon and two convictions for driving slow in the fast lane in a Buick. Hardened goddamned criminal!!!

Multiple false turn signal violations.

• Haha 3

I've already cracked wise on this thread and enjoying the other comments.  But I just stopped to realize something and got bummed out.

The sarcastic rationales we're throwing around here, the Loveland Police Union folks actually sat around and seriously contemplated.  They pondered trying to pin some of these things on the older woman (drugs in the system, erratic behavior, past reports of her disturbing businesses/shoplifting/harassing people, non-compliance, not following verbal commands, etc.).  

The one simple thing that could have prevented this is to simply follow de-escalation procedure.  But nope, too difficult for police to follow one of the foundational keystones of their training---do not make a situation worse.  If you can't make it better, that's fine...that's just life.  But don't make it worse.  Everybody who is not a doctor knows the first sentence of their oath, "First...do no harm."  Maybe you can't save the patient, but at least don't make it worse.  From there, you can build upon that stability by practicing your expertise and training.  But for police, it seems to be, "First...see how you escalate tensions and nerves...then move on to the protect and serve part...only after people are freaking the fuck out."    

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The one simple thing that could have prevented this is to simply follow de-escalation procedure.  But nope, too difficult for police to follow one of the foundational keystones of their training---do not make a situation worse.

6a00d8351451c553ef01b7c7bb0b37970b-pi

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm sure our resident boot-lickers will be along anytime now to tell us how dangerous and hard it is to be a cop.

I mean, this little ol lady could've really done some damage to those brave, in-danger heroes.  

Have you ever been poked by an old person with a bony finger?  That can hurt, couple that with their possible ninja training on pressure points and they could cause some serious damage to a body armored cop.  Make it a lady and some press-on nails, high percentile that she has fecal matter below those nails, she is a threat to all humanity.  

Hits close to home for me as my 70 year old aunt suffers from dementia. She barely can figure out how to use silverware and can not do many tasks we take for granted we are able to do every day. Can’t imagine her in a situation like that. 

She and my uncle recently moved to a new city and she typically never leaves the house (precautions are in place.) but she became very agitated when they first moved in and left during a very hectic moment. Made it a mile down the street. Her attire was some would say eccentric (underwear outside of multiple layers of clothes and two different colored shoes—she goes into her closet a lot and puts on layers and layers and this goes on all day.) fortunately, a cop patrolling saw she was out of place and needed help and was able to provide her help. And she was returned home safe. 

That’s how it should be. That’s how it should have been with the 73 year old woman. That’s how it should be.  Damn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Finally watched the video. That cop had at least 150lbs  on gramma. She was never a threat to him or the other officers who responded, but hey, everyone gets the hostile takedown treatment by LEO these days. I hope she gets a hefty settlement.

My dad's retired in nearby Fort Collins. I'll have to ask him how the local media is covering this case.

Thread is boot-licker free.  Imagine that.
No soliloquies about how brave these heroes were?  Tell us how tough cops have it, again.  Hopefully they all made it home to their good Christian homes.

They may not be done ‘batin’ to that video. It does take them a while to get even a semi. Give them time.

Just got off the phone with my old man in Fort Collins. He's tired of the media coverage & his big question is that if her dementia was so bad then why wasn't she in a home? "Who knows how much she's stolen from the local stores!" Although he did admit that the cops were a "a bit rough", we also have to consider the stress they're under at all times.

Remarks like this will make those difficult decisions I've been entrusted with down the road just a bit easier.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

@immortal13 you got any hot takes on how the officer PROTECTED AND SERVED that old lady with dementia? You seem to have taken exception to my comments in the thread

No I just like negging you. I rarely read any of your posts. And nice try painting me as a cop apologist. That's far from the case

• Haha 1