Iran

Caracara

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

There is a fake inspection regime in place. Iran lied before the deal and as far as anyone knows, is most likely cheating on the deal since the deal itself was designed to allow that. Iran would not have signed a truly binding deal.  The inspections are completely tootless.

And there was no doubt Saddam had WMDs. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Fuck that.

Only Russia and China are remotely capable of a military action against the US that isn’t over in a week( if the gloves are off).

and spare me the global thermonuclear war scare tactic.

So what you're saying is W. half-assed it and 5,000 Americans died in Iraq.

I bet that makes their parents feel better.

Say you're worried the local pd isn't patrolling enough in your neighborhood and it may not be safe from a local gang.  Is the answer to fire the whole department and then not replace any of the officers?  What exactly do you think the gang is going to do when no cops are around?

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Say you're worried the local pd isn't patrolling enough in your neighborhood and it may not be safe.  Is the answer to fire the whole department and then not replace any of the officers?

If the previous police chief was black it is

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Say you're worried the local pd isn't patrolling enough in your neighborhood and it may not be safe from a local gang.  Is the answer to fire the whole department and then not replace any of the officers?  What exactly do you think the gang is going to do when no cops are around?

If the local PD only carries rape whistles, then yes. 

5 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Again from the report:

So the Harvard report is basically admitting that the procedures for discovering nuclear work at "undeclared facilities" is totally ineffective. Getting access to "undeclared facilities" would take months, under the provisions of the deal. 

This isn't about partisanship or team red or team blue. It's about reading comprehension.

This is the Mattis quote:

That quote doesn't mean what you think it means.

So, Trump has chosen the path of zero inspection capability over the imperfect, which you're on record of supporting. Hey, if it works out that we end up with a better deal with much tighter inspections (sans spilling innocent blood), I'll eat my unlaundered shorts. But until then, put me down for thinking this was an idiotic move based on a very long-shot bet.

As for the renewed sanctions, I'm also of the mind that Russia and China will be very happy to not comply - maybe even throw in India and Turkey. In the end, we've undercut the one individual who somewhat counts as a moderate with any sort of power in Iran, and I doubt he'll be around much longer.

This move has been widely condemned all over the world with only one single international voice who has spoken up so far in favor of this action: personal friend to the Trump and Kushner families, Benjamin Netanyahu. I'll let y'all do the math.

15 minutes ago, 5 5 said:

Trump went from presiding over historic peace accords to destabilizing the world.

This pattern is the same domestically. We went from Obama/Hillary to Trump/Putin.

Shame on the fucking half wit conservatives which infest this nation with brainlessness and immorality. 

Look...we're already shaming from so many other things right now!  We can only shame so much!!  

We're still shaming from the WWIII that Trump started with North Korea...we can't shame for another WWIII...you're going to have to call this WW...IV?  I guess? 

We'll let you know when we're through with the NK shame...and then give us a day to rest up and then I promise we'll jump right on this new shame.  Will that work?

I'm thinking about becoming a Democrat just to avoid shame all together...it might be worth getting that full frontal lobotomy. 

I mean it's clear Democrats clearly have no shame at all...

You can beat women and call them racist names...and be the leader of the #MeToo movement going after all those horrible men that demean and attack women.  

You can lament and promote climate hysteria...telling soccer moms & truck drivers they're killing the earth...while you make millions flying around in private jets with SUV caravans. 

Heck you can even give a homicidal group of cultists a $100 billion dollars to help fund their nuclear ambitions...and claim getting tough on them is shameful.  

These are just the big ones that make the news...its no telling what run of the mill leftists do without shame on a daily basis!  But I think I want to know!  

tenor.gif?itemid=4610795

29 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Again from the report:

So the Harvard report is basically admitting that the procedures for discovering nuclear work at "undeclared facilities" is totally ineffective. Getting access to "undeclared facilities" would take months, under the provisions of the deal. 

This isn't about partisanship or team red or team blue. It's about reading comprehension.

This is the Mattis quote:

That quote doesn't mean what you think it means.

No, you are the one who doesn't understand what you are reading.   The very notion of "undeclared facilities" assumes without evidence that there are secret nuclear sites.   We have access to all known sites.  If they do something secret, we can get access to those sites by following a process.  And we can fuck up their shit if they violate the deal through such efforts.  That is an achievement, not a flaw in the deal. 

You are insane if you think any country would give us access to literally any location in their country that we want to see, with zero evidence that there is undeclared nuclear activity at that site.  

Brisket has sounded the alarm bells that our “fragile” institutions (we aren’t Hungary or Poland Brisket) are under assault because of Trump’s rule via executive orders but did not call out Obama for creating this mess in the first place by enacting his signature pieces of legislation that way. What do you expect would happen when the other party came into power?  If you are trying to pretend to be non-partisan and above the fray you need to do a better job. I’m a life-long Republican who was voted Democratic for President only in 2004 and 2008 because I was a staunch opponent of the Iraq War. Trump has done a lot of dumb shit I don’t like. I will give him credit where it’s due. As crazy as it sounds, he has a much more coherent foreign policy advancing American interests vis a vis our enemies like Iran.

1) I definitely criticized several of Obama’s exec orders as being beyond the scope of proper exec authority.

2) we aren’t Poland or Hungary...until we are.

I gotta give y’all this, we do arrogance and hubris like nobody else. “We’re bulletproof! Nothing bad can happen here!”

There’s no fucking coherence to his “foreign policy” - it’s based on two things. 1) whatever someone persuasive just told him, and 2) if obama did it, it’s bad, undo it. There’s no long-game strategy. None. If you think there is, I gotta find a way to do “business” with you, because you’re one gullible SOB.
  • Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wait, are you telling me globalism was just a conspiracy theory? 

I am telling you that American foreign policy, esp wrt to the ME and Iran and others is a total shit show. scattytexas level. 

21 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The same way we ever knew that Iran was pursuing a nuclear program, or that NK has one.  With intelligence.  

Or, as was the case under Bush/Cheney, you just make up ones that don't exist and use it as a case for war. This is oddly reminiscent of that fiasco. Nuclear activities are really tough to hide and the inspectors have given us no reason to suspect the Iranians of being dishonest in their dealings. I have more than enough experience to suspect the Republicans in general and Donald Trump specifically of being dishonest. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

So the gist of what I'm hearing from the rights is that the reason to kill the deal is because the inspections provisions weren't strong enough...so the solution is to remove ALL inspection provisions.  Seems logical.

Bingo.

"You can't prove that they're not cheating, so they are definitely cheating.  So we should trade the limited oversight we have now for no oversight and make it easier for them to cheat.  Then we'll go back to the negotiating table and force them to take a worse deal than the one we just renegged on.  Nevermind that the rest of the world thinks this is a really stupid idea.  They thought invading Iraq was stupid, too, and we showed them.  Murica."

• Like 2

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

The whole idea that there is some static thing called "foreign policy" is as ludicrous as the idea that there is something called "objective journalism." 

who said fp was static?  why do you rule out a dynamic shit show?

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

who said fp was static?  why do you rule out a dynamic shit show?

Policy: "a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by a government, party, business, or individual." There has never been, and can never be, a single one size fits all policy to apply to everything that is foreign.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

America has had a globalization foreign policy since WWII.  How the fuck do you think we became the biggest superpower the world has ever seen? 

It was economic and political integration with the rest of the world.

But the focus has changed drastically over time. At first it was about rebuilding western Europe. We severed ties with our friends of convenience in the USSR and then fought a proxy war with them for the next....I don't know how many years. Looks like it's still going on. But for a while there there was a truce, and we lost our way, and could not define what our "foreign policy" was, now that it was no longer Containment of Communism.

It's just really code for national self interest, and mostly, for the last 120 years or so, it's been about getting control of as much sweet, sweet crude oil as possible. People overcomplicate this, but that's what it's been all about.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If Brisket is on one side of an issue and Icono is on the other....well, y'all know the rest. And yes, Icono, you get some slack for your heritage and family over there, but you are just as wrong about this about everything else you've ever posted about, ever. 

Who the fuck are you? What was your handle on shaggy?

34 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

But the focus has changed drastically over time. At first it was about rebuilding western Europe. We severed ties with our friends of convenience in the USSR and then fought a proxy war with them for the next....I don't know how many years. Looks like it's still going on. But for a while there there was a truce, and we lost our way, and could not define what our "foreign policy" was, now that it was no longer Containment of Communism.

It's just really code for national self interest, and mostly, for the last 120 years or so, it's been about getting control of as much sweet, sweet crude oil as possible. People overcomplicate this, but that's what it's been all about.  

This is, ah, I feel this is correct.

If it's about Iran, I'll take Iconoclast every time.  I don't see how anybody who watched how North Korea played out could be for the Iran deal.  We paid the Norks billions for empty promises that were soon broken. Obama followed the same script, he just paid a hundred times more.   This deal is unfathomable, even for Obama. There is simply no reason to continue pretending to believe Iran isn't continuing their nuclear program.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

If it's about Iran, I'll take Iconoclast every time.  I don't see how anybody who watched how North Korea played out could be for the Iran deal.  We paid the Norks billions for empty promises that were soon broken. Obama followed the same script, he just paid a hundred times more.   This deal is unfathomable, even for Obama. There is simply no reason to continue pretending to believe Iran isn't continuing their nuclear program.

We know they aren't. Just ask the Secretary of State.

57 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The deals are only superficially similar. The NK deal wasn't multilateral; we went it alone, and we didn't hold up our end of the deal either.   It didn't have the same degree of verification and compliance requirements.  And Iranians aren't going to eat tree bark to survive like the Norks, so the enforcement mechanisms will have greater effect.

What more could you have gotten Iran to agree to?  Or would you just invade?

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Asking Iconoclast about Iran is the equivalent of going to the coast and hopping on a shrimp boat and asking them if the Vietnamese Communist Party is widely supported.

Ain’t no party like a Vietnamese Communist Party. I always say.

There has absolutely been a coherent strategy to American foreign policy for the past 50+ years.

Start shit.  Get the military industrial complex paid.  Make the American taxpayer foot the bill.  Rinse.  Repeat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

There has absolutely been a coherent strategy to American foreign policy for the past 50+ years.

Start shit.  Get the military industrial complex paid.  Make the American taxpayer foot the bill.  Rinse.  Repeat.

How excitable is the American?

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

How democracies work. 

We’re not supposed to have a coherent foreign policy over a long period of time.  Our system is built for periods of expansion and contraction.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

How democracies work. 

We’re not supposed to have a coherent foreign policy over a long period of time.  Our system is built for periods of expansion and contraction.

Dennis Hopper voice: "I'm gonna lay some heavy, heavy shit on you, man..."

Those monkeys are fighting over a waterhole. More recently we monkeys have had the luxury of fighting over oil seeps, while we have actual monkeys breaking their hands punching walls while in our care, and we wonder whether to take them to a vet or a people doctor, as our Great Sage of Alabama has put it. And we went from tossing bones in the air in a victory dance to space ships, but it's looking like we are gonna be screeching over muddy ponds again if present trends continue. 

And that's foreign policy.