America First Caucus and Replacement Theory Crap

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Hawley hasn't put anything out that I could see regarding AF, but Eric Greitens of Missouri is a big supporter. He's running for Senate to fill Roy Blunt's seat (retiring). He's ahead by a lot with respect to his primary opponent. I guess his stepping down from the governorship after facing charges of impeachment is one of those political witch hunts just like Trump even though it was his own Assembly that considered it due to him blackmailing a former lover with...ahem...salacious nude photos and campaign finance violations.  

The Senate must stand or it's going to get bad.

I crossed paths with Greitins a few times in undergrad. Seemed normal enough back then, and never someone that would have generated the CV that he has (including the bad stuff).  

He and Hawley are the types of guys that scare me most as they are clearly smart and calculating (despite Hawley’s recent miscalculations) and have such stellar academic awards etc in their backgrounds + military for Greitins. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The GOP would happily caucus with the new Nazi Party if it gave them an extra ounce of power.

The GOP already is the new Nazi Party.

And don’t listen to Kevin McCarthy. He’s full of shit and when the chips are down he’s going to opt for fascism/Trumpism. Nobody ever waved the Confederate flag for the party of Lincoln. McCarthy was scared when he was in danger and under assault by Trump’s goons on the Capitol back on 1/6 but he couldn’t rush down to Mar-a-Lago fast enough to mend fences with Trump. He’s trying to play both sides but he’s an unprincipled hypocrite just like most of the rest in his party.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm dropping this here, because it is relevant in a way that underscores so much that the Caucus misunderstands with their myopic narrow-mindedness. They think they 'get' it, but, no they really don't. It will be our loss if they succeed.

This is a tweet, but I have placed the entire obituary of Dr. Gregorian in the spoiler and may his soul rest in peace. Additionally, there is a UT connection. The entire spoilered piece is long and I left the photos out save the one below, you'd need to visit the NYT site to view the rest. I must add, the library as a place worldwide will always have a special part of my heart. From childhood to adulthood, wherever we have lived. Many citizens never darken their doorstep, or believe in the modern era, the library is a relic and undeserving of our attention and dollars. I cannot disagree more, but I won't go into that in this thread. Read the obit, it is time well spent.

Vartan Gregorian in 2009. A brilliant historian and educator, he led Brown University and the Carnegie Corporation, but his crowning achievement was the revival of the New York Public Library.

Spoiler

Vartan Gregorian, Savior of the New York Public Library, Dies at 87

A scholar, a university leader and a believer in libraries, he almost single-handedly rescued a grand but broken one in a time of municipal austerity.

Vartan Gregorian, the ebullient Armenian immigrant who climbed to pinnacles of academic and philanthropic achievement but took a detour in the 1980s to restore a fading New York Public Library to its place at the heart of American intellectual life, died on Thursday in Manhattan. He was 87.

The death, at a hospital, was confirmed by his son Dareh Gregorian. No cause was given.

Dr. Gregorian liked to tell the story of “the most painful experience of my entire life.” It happened in 1980, when he was provost of the University of Pennsylvania, its top academic official. Powerful trustees told him that he was a shoo-in to replace the outgoing president. He was so sure of the post that he withdrew his name from consideration as chancellor of the University of California at Berkeley.

He heard the bad news on his car radio. The Penn trustees had chosen another academic star. The next day, he resigned. The outgoing president tried to dissuade him, but it was no use.

“I told him that I could cope with rejection, but not insult and humiliation,” Dr. Gregorian said in a memoir, “The Road to Home: My Life and Times” (2003).

Indeed, Dr. Gregorian was a fighter: proud, shrewd, charming, a brilliant historian and educator who rose from humble origins to speak seven languages, win sheaves of honors and be offered the presidencies of Columbia University and the Universities of Michigan and Miami. He accepted the presidency of Brown University (1989-1997), transforming it into one of the Ivy League’s hottest schools, and since then had been president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, a major benefactor of education.

But he was best known for resurrecting the New York Public Library from a fiscal and morale crisis. It was a radical, midcareer change from the pastoral academic realm, and a risky plunge into the high-profile social and political wars of New York City, where the budget-cutting knives were out after decades of profligacy, neglect and a brush with municipal bankruptcy in the 1970s.

By 1981, when the feelers went out to Dr. Gregorian, the library — the main research edifice at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue and 83 branches in Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island — was broke, a decaying Dickensian repository of 7.7 million books (the world’s sixth largest collection), many of them rare and valuable, gathering dust and crumbling on 88 linear miles of stacks.

The underpaid, overworked staff was demoralized. The beautiful Gottesman Exhibition Hall had been partitioned into cubicles for personnel and accounting. Tarnished chandeliers and lighting fixtures were missing bulbs. In the trustees’ board room, threadbare curtains fell apart at the touch. Outside, the imperious marble lions, Patience and Fortitude, and the portals they guarded, were dirt-streaked. Bryant Park in the back was infested with drug dealers and pimps and unsafe after dark.

But the main problems were not even visible. The library faced a $50 million deficit and had no political clout. Its constituencies were scholars, children and citizens who liked to read. The city had cut back so hard that the main branch was closed on Thursdays, and some branches were open only eight hours a week.

To Dr. Gregorian, the challenge was irresistible. The library was, like him, a victim of insult and humiliation. The problem, as he saw it, was that the institution, headquartered in the magnificent Carrère and Hastings Beaux-Arts pile dedicated by President William Howard Taft in 1911, had come to be seen by New York City’s leaders, and even its citizens, as a dispensable frivolity.

He seemed a dubious savior: a short, pudgy scholar who had spent his entire professional life in academic circles. On the day he met the board, he was a half-hour late, and the trustees were talking about selling prized collections, cutting hours of service and closing some branches. He asked only for time, and offered in return a new vision.

“The New York Public Library is a New York and national treasure,” he said. “The branch libraries have made lives and saved lives. The New York Public Library is not a luxury. It is an integral part of New York’s social fabric, its culture, its institutions, its media and its scholarly, artistic and ethnic communities. It deserves the city’s respect, appreciation and support. No, the library is not a cost center! It is an investment in the city’s past and future!”

Friends in High Places

His personality was so engaging, his fire for restoring the library so compelling, that the board endorsed him unanimously as its president and chief executive. So long as he succeeded, he would be given time. He needed money, too, but he was an experienced university fund-raiser.

More than money, he needed allies. He found them in Andrew Heiskell, the incoming library chairman, who had just retired as chairman and chief executive of Time Inc.; Richard B. Salomon, the library’s vice chairman, who had been chairman since 1977; and Brooke Astor, the widow of Vincent Astor and doyenne of society who was presiding over bequests of $195 million to charitable causes.

Dr. Gregorian wrote: “Richard Salomon paved the way for individual giving and business and Jewish philanthropy; Andrew Heiskell went after individuals and major corporations, his former pals; Mrs. Astor opened the doors of New York society and its philanthropy. They helped me make the case for the New York Public Library, making it a civic project that was both honorable and glamorous.”

Mrs. Astor gave a black tie party to introduce Dr. Gregorian and his wife, Clare Gregorian, to New York society. Weeks earlier, she had given a party for President Ronald Reagan and the first lady, Nancy Reagan. When Dr. Gregorian voiced surprise that the guest list for both dinners was substantially the same, Mrs. Astor told him, “The president of the New York Public Library is an important citizen of New York and the nation.”

“Literary Lions” dinners at $1,000 a plate were soon underway, attended by the likes of Isaac Bashevis Singer and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Dr. Gregorian met corporate and foundation leaders to drum up support and spread good will. He gave and attended dinner parties, and with Mrs. Astor, who made the library her top philanthropic priority, organized charity balls and other functions.

In the news regularly with his appeals, Dr. Gregorian often sounded like a voice of conscience. He called the library “a sacred place,” telling The New Yorker: “Think of a lone person in one of our reading rooms, who has just read a book, a single book that has perhaps not been read in 20 years by another living soul, and from that reading comes an invention of incalculable importance to the human race. It makes a man tremble.”

Results began to show. The main library and many branches restored days of service. The card catalog was computerized. Temperature and humidity controls were installed, public rooms were air-conditioned, facades were cleaned, and a $45 million renovation was launched. Partitions and cubicles were removed, marble walls were restored, and carved wooden ceilings were refinished. Scores of projects began. One was a cleaning of the books and stacks, undusted for 75 years.

Tides of tourists and visitors returned. Exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other cultural events made the main library a beehive of intellectual life, day and night. Afternoon and evening activities in Bryant Park drew crowds that chased the ne’er do wells. Out front, Patience and Fortitude were bathed, and people of all ages lounged on the broad steps to bask in sunshine.

Dr. Gregorian campaigned as if running for election. Mayor Edward I. Koch, who knew a good thing when he saw one, climbed on the bandwagon, and former Mayor Robert F. Wagner Jr. said of Dr. Gregorian: “He reminded us that libraries were engines of hope that move people into the middle class and to worlds beyond themselves.”

He was masterful in dealing with the City Council and the Board of Estimate, which in those days held the purse strings. On the job less than two years, he told the council’s Finance Committee that it was demeaning for him to annually defend the library’s right to exist. He said he would no longer come hat-in-hand and would only present the library’s case for a fair share of the money.

By the end of his tenure, in 1989, Dr. Gregorian had raised $327 million in public and private funds for the library, placing it on a firm footing.

“What he did was put the library in the spotlight,” Mr. Heiskell told The New Yorker. “He had to change the mood of the city for the library, of the people in the city for the library, and of the people in the library for the library.

“In essence, he had to change the future.”

Armenians in Iran

Vartan Gregorian was born on April 8, 1934, in the Armenian quarter of Tabriz, in northwest Iran, to Samuel and Shooshanik (Mirzaian) Gregorian. His father was an accountant for the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. Vartan’s older brother, Aram, died in infancy, and his mother died of pneumonia when he was 6. His father was drafted in World War II and later became an often-unemployed office worker.

Vartan and his younger sister, Ojik, were raised by their maternal grandmother, Voski Mirzaian, an illiterate but gracious storyteller whose allegorical fables instilled in the children lessons in morality: about telling the truth, possessing integrity, and the dignity to be found in stoicism and good deeds.

“She was my hero,” Dr. Gregorian said in an interview for this obituary in 2019. “I learned more about character from her than from anybody I ever met or any book I ever read.”

Vartan was a voracious reader and spent much time in the extensive library of his Armenian Church, where he had a part-time job in the stacks. “It was heaven,” he said. “There were translations of all the Western classics, and I read Russian literature, so I became familiar with Shakespeare, Lord Byron, Tolstoy, Dumas and Victor Hugo.”

Languages came to him easily. “We had Armenian at home, Russian at school, and we grew up with Turkish and Persian,” he said. He recalled that after his father remarried, he could not tolerate his stepmother and ran away from home at 15.

He landed in Beirut, Lebanon, with a teacher’s letter of introduction to the Collège Arménien, a lycée founded in 1928 to educate Armenian refugees. Simon Vratzian, the Armenian Republic’s last prime minister, was the school’s director. He enrolled the boy and became his mentor. Vartan learned French, Arabic and smatterings of English before graduating in 1955 with honors.

In 1956, he won a scholarship to Stanford University. Despite starting with shaky English, he became fluent and, majoring in history and humanities, earned a bachelor’s degree with honors in two years.

In 1960, he married Clare Russell, a fellow student at Stanford. In addition to Dareh, they had two more sons, Vahé and Raffi, all of whom survive Dr. Gregorian, along with his sister and five grandchildren. He lived in Midtown Manhattan.

A Ford Foundation fellowship took Dr. Gregorian to England, France, Lebanon, Pakistan, Afghanistan and India. He earned a dual doctorate in history and humanities from Stanford in 1964. He taught European and Middle Eastern history at San Francisco State College, U.C.L.A. and the University of Texas before joining the University of Pennsylvania in 1972.

At Penn, he was a professor of Armenian and South Asian history for eight years, the school’s first dean of what is now the College of Arts and Sciences, from 1974 to 1978, and then provost until his departure in 1980 after being passed over for the presidency.

After his acclaimed work to save the New York Public Library, Dr. Gregorian, as the president of Brown University, led a five-year campaign there that raised $534 million, the most ambitious in Brown’s history. He raised the endowment to $1 billion from $400 million, doubled undergraduate scholarships, hired 270 new faculty members, endowed 90 professorships and built a student residence that bears his name. In his last year, there were 15,000 applicants for 1,482 places in the freshman class.

It was in 1997 that Dr. Gregorian assumed the presidency of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the foundation created by Andrew Carnegie in 1911 to promote education and peace. After decades as a supplicant, raising $1 billion for universities and libraries, he became a benefactor, starting with an endowment of $1.5 billion that grew to $3.5 billion over his tenure.

His grants strengthened education, international security, democratic institutions and global development. Domestically, he emphasized reforms in teacher training and liberal arts education; abroad, he stressed scholarships for social sciences and humanities.

Dr. Gregorian also advised philanthropists, including Bill and Melinda Gates, Walter H. Annenberg and officials of the J. Paul Getty Trust. In 1998, President Bill Clinton awarded him the National Humanities Medal, and in 2004 President George W. Bush conferred on him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.

Besides his memoir, he wrote “The Emergence of Modern Afghanistan: Politics of Reform and Modernization, 1880-1946” (1969); “Islam: A Mosaic, Not a Monolith” (2004) and many articles on history and global affairs.

Dr. Gregorian, who often recalled the kindness of strangers, said that after landing in New York in 1956 to start life in America, he lost his plane ticket to San Francisco. He was due to register the next day at Stanford. His future seemed to hang in the balance. In faltering English, he poured out his desperation to an airport ticket agent.

The man hesitated, saying something about regulations. Then he softened.

“I have never done what I am about to do,” the agent said. He stamped the young man’s empty ticket envelope and told him to stay on the plane — a four-stop, 14-hour flight — to avoid discovery.

“I never forgot that man,” Dr. Gregorian said in the 2019 interview. “He gave me my future. For years I wanted to thank him but couldn’t find him. I told the story in my book to thank him — and now my conscience is clear.”

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I'm dropping this here, because it is relevant in a way that underscores so much that the Caucus misunderstands with their myopic narrow-mindedness. They think they 'get' it, but, no they really don't. It will be our loss if they succeed.
This is a tweet, but I have placed the entire obituary of Dr. Gregorian in the spoiler and may his soul rest in peace. Additionally, there is a UT connection. The entire spoilered piece is long and I left the photos out save the one below, you'd need to visit the NYT site to view the rest. I must add, the library as a place worldwide will always have a special part of my heart. From childhood to adulthood, wherever we have lived. Many citizens never darken their doorstep, or believe in the modern era, the library is a relic and undeserving of our attention and dollars. I cannot disagree more, but I won't go into that in this thread. Read the obit, it is time well spent.
merlin_28272769_965bef2d-f823-4d33-935f-b9c68b426c16-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
Spoiler

Vartan Gregorian, Savior of the New York Public Library, Dies at 87
A scholar, a university leader and a believer in libraries, he almost single-handedly rescued a grand but broken one in a time of municipal austerity.

Vartan Gregorian, the ebullient Armenian immigrant who climbed to pinnacles of academic and philanthropic achievement but took a detour in the 1980s to restore a fading New York Public Library to its place at the heart of American intellectual life, died on Thursday in Manhattan. He was 87.
The death, at a hospital, was confirmed by his son Dareh Gregorian. No cause was given.
Dr. Gregorian liked to tell the story of “the most painful experience of my entire life.” It happened in 1980, when he was provost of the University of Pennsylvania, its top academic official. Powerful trustees told him that he was a shoo-in to replace the outgoing president. He was so sure of the post that he withdrew his name from consideration as chancellor of the University of California at Berkeley.
He heard the bad news on his car radio. The Penn trustees had chosen another academic star. The next day, he resigned. The outgoing president tried to dissuade him, but it was no use.
“I told him that I could cope with rejection, but not insult and humiliation,” Dr. Gregorian said in a memoir, “The Road to Home: My Life and Times” (2003).
Indeed, Dr. Gregorian was a fighter: proud, shrewd, charming, a brilliant historian and educator who rose from humble origins to speak seven languages, win sheaves of honors and be offered the presidencies of Columbia University and the Universities of Michigan and Miami. He accepted the presidency of Brown University (1989-1997), transforming it into one of the Ivy League’s hottest schools, and since then had been president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, a major benefactor of education.
But he was best known for resurrecting the New York Public Library from a fiscal and morale crisis. It was a radical, midcareer change from the pastoral academic realm, and a risky plunge into the high-profile social and political wars of New York City, where the budget-cutting knives were out after decades of profligacy, neglect and a brush with municipal bankruptcy in the 1970s.
By 1981, when the feelers went out to Dr. Gregorian, the library — the main research edifice at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue and 83 branches in Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island — was broke, a decaying Dickensian repository of 7.7 million books (the world’s sixth largest collection), many of them rare and valuable, gathering dust and crumbling on 88 linear miles of stacks.
The underpaid, overworked staff was demoralized. The beautiful Gottesman Exhibition Hall had been partitioned into cubicles for personnel and accounting. Tarnished chandeliers and lighting fixtures were missing bulbs. In the trustees’ board room, threadbare curtains fell apart at the touch. Outside, the imperious marble lions, Patience and Fortitude, and the portals they guarded, were dirt-streaked. Bryant Park in the back was infested with drug dealers and pimps and unsafe after dark.
But the main problems were not even visible. The library faced a $50 million deficit and had no political clout. Its constituencies were scholars, children and citizens who liked to read. The city had cut back so hard that the main branch was closed on Thursdays, and some branches were open only eight hours a week.
To Dr. Gregorian, the challenge was irresistible. The library was, like him, a victim of insult and humiliation. The problem, as he saw it, was that the institution, headquartered in the magnificent Carrère and Hastings Beaux-Arts pile dedicated by President William Howard Taft in 1911, had come to be seen by New York City’s leaders, and even its citizens, as a dispensable frivolity.
He seemed a dubious savior: a short, pudgy scholar who had spent his entire professional life in academic circles. On the day he met the board, he was a half-hour late, and the trustees were talking about selling prized collections, cutting hours of service and closing some branches. He asked only for time, and offered in return a new vision.
“The New York Public Library is a New York and national treasure,” he said. “The branch libraries have made lives and saved lives. The New York Public Library is not a luxury. It is an integral part of New York’s social fabric, its culture, its institutions, its media and its scholarly, artistic and ethnic communities. It deserves the city’s respect, appreciation and support. No, the library is not a cost center! It is an investment in the city’s past and future!”
Friends in High Places
His personality was so engaging, his fire for restoring the library so compelling, that the board endorsed him unanimously as its president and chief executive. So long as he succeeded, he would be given time. He needed money, too, but he was an experienced university fund-raiser.
More than money, he needed allies. He found them in Andrew Heiskell, the incoming library chairman, who had just retired as chairman and chief executive of Time Inc.; Richard B. Salomon, the library’s vice chairman, who had been chairman since 1977; and Brooke Astor, the widow of Vincent Astor and doyenne of society who was presiding over bequests of $195 million to charitable causes.
Dr. Gregorian wrote: “Richard Salomon paved the way for individual giving and business and Jewish philanthropy; Andrew Heiskell went after individuals and major corporations, his former pals; Mrs. Astor opened the doors of New York society and its philanthropy. They helped me make the case for the New York Public Library, making it a civic project that was both honorable and glamorous.”
Mrs. Astor gave a black tie party to introduce Dr. Gregorian and his wife, Clare Gregorian, to New York society. Weeks earlier, she had given a party for President Ronald Reagan and the first lady, Nancy Reagan. When Dr. Gregorian voiced surprise that the guest list for both dinners was substantially the same, Mrs. Astor told him, “The president of the New York Public Library is an important citizen of New York and the nation.”
“Literary Lions” dinners at $1,000 a plate were soon underway, attended by the likes of Isaac Bashevis Singer and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Dr. Gregorian met corporate and foundation leaders to drum up support and spread good will. He gave and attended dinner parties, and with Mrs. Astor, who made the library her top philanthropic priority, organized charity balls and other functions.
In the news regularly with his appeals, Dr. Gregorian often sounded like a voice of conscience. He called the library “a sacred place,” telling The New Yorker: “Think of a lone person in one of our reading rooms, who has just read a book, a single book that has perhaps not been read in 20 years by another living soul, and from that reading comes an invention of incalculable importance to the human race. It makes a man tremble.”
Results began to show. The main library and many branches restored days of service. The card catalog was computerized. Temperature and humidity controls were installed, public rooms were air-conditioned, facades were cleaned, and a $45 million renovation was launched. Partitions and cubicles were removed, marble walls were restored, and carved wooden ceilings were refinished. Scores of projects began. One was a cleaning of the books and stacks, undusted for 75 years.
Tides of tourists and visitors returned. Exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other cultural events made the main library a beehive of intellectual life, day and night. Afternoon and evening activities in Bryant Park drew crowds that chased the ne’er do wells. Out front, Patience and Fortitude were bathed, and people of all ages lounged on the broad steps to bask in sunshine.
Dr. Gregorian campaigned as if running for election. Mayor Edward I. Koch, who knew a good thing when he saw one, climbed on the bandwagon, and former Mayor Robert F. Wagner Jr. said of Dr. Gregorian: “He reminded us that libraries were engines of hope that move people into the middle class and to worlds beyond themselves.”
He was masterful in dealing with the City Council and the Board of Estimate, which in those days held the purse strings. On the job less than two years, he told the council’s Finance Committee that it was demeaning for him to annually defend the library’s right to exist. He said he would no longer come hat-in-hand and would only present the library’s case for a fair share of the money.
By the end of his tenure, in 1989, Dr. Gregorian had raised $327 million in public and private funds for the library, placing it on a firm footing.
“What he did was put the library in the spotlight,” Mr. Heiskell told The New Yorker. “He had to change the mood of the city for the library, of the people in the city for the library, and of the people in the library for the library.
“In essence, he had to change the future.”
Armenians in Iran
Vartan Gregorian was born on April 8, 1934, in the Armenian quarter of Tabriz, in northwest Iran, to Samuel and Shooshanik (Mirzaian) Gregorian. His father was an accountant for the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. Vartan’s older brother, Aram, died in infancy, and his mother died of pneumonia when he was 6. His father was drafted in World War II and later became an often-unemployed office worker.
Vartan and his younger sister, Ojik, were raised by their maternal grandmother, Voski Mirzaian, an illiterate but gracious storyteller whose allegorical fables instilled in the children lessons in morality: about telling the truth, possessing integrity, and the dignity to be found in stoicism and good deeds.
“She was my hero,” Dr. Gregorian said in an interview for this obituary in 2019. “I learned more about character from her than from anybody I ever met or any book I ever read.”
Vartan was a voracious reader and spent much time in the extensive library of his Armenian Church, where he had a part-time job in the stacks. “It was heaven,” he said. “There were translations of all the Western classics, and I read Russian literature, so I became familiar with Shakespeare, Lord Byron, Tolstoy, Dumas and Victor Hugo.”
Languages came to him easily. “We had Armenian at home, Russian at school, and we grew up with Turkish and Persian,” he said. He recalled that after his father remarried, he could not tolerate his stepmother and ran away from home at 15.
He landed in Beirut, Lebanon, with a teacher’s letter of introduction to the Collège Arménien, a lycée founded in 1928 to educate Armenian refugees. Simon Vratzian, the Armenian Republic’s last prime minister, was the school’s director. He enrolled the boy and became his mentor. Vartan learned French, Arabic and smatterings of English before graduating in 1955 with honors.
In 1956, he won a scholarship to Stanford University. Despite starting with shaky English, he became fluent and, majoring in history and humanities, earned a bachelor’s degree with honors in two years.
In 1960, he married Clare Russell, a fellow student at Stanford. In addition to Dareh, they had two more sons, Vahé and Raffi, all of whom survive Dr. Gregorian, along with his sister and five grandchildren. He lived in Midtown Manhattan.
A Ford Foundation fellowship took Dr. Gregorian to England, France, Lebanon, Pakistan, Afghanistan and India. He earned a dual doctorate in history and humanities from Stanford in 1964. He taught European and Middle Eastern history at San Francisco State College, U.C.L.A. and the University of Texas before joining the University of Pennsylvania in 1972.
At Penn, he was a professor of Armenian and South Asian history for eight years, the school’s first dean of what is now the College of Arts and Sciences, from 1974 to 1978, and then provost until his departure in 1980 after being passed over for the presidency.
After his acclaimed work to save the New York Public Library, Dr. Gregorian, as the president of Brown University, led a five-year campaign there that raised $534 million, the most ambitious in Brown’s history. He raised the endowment to $1 billion from $400 million, doubled undergraduate scholarships, hired 270 new faculty members, endowed 90 professorships and built a student residence that bears his name. In his last year, there were 15,000 applicants for 1,482 places in the freshman class.
It was in 1997 that Dr. Gregorian assumed the presidency of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the foundation created by Andrew Carnegie in 1911 to promote education and peace. After decades as a supplicant, raising $1 billion for universities and libraries, he became a benefactor, starting with an endowment of $1.5 billion that grew to $3.5 billion over his tenure.
His grants strengthened education, international security, democratic institutions and global development. Domestically, he emphasized reforms in teacher training and liberal arts education; abroad, he stressed scholarships for social sciences and humanities.
Dr. Gregorian also advised philanthropists, including Bill and Melinda Gates, Walter H. Annenberg and officials of the J. Paul Getty Trust. In 1998, President Bill Clinton awarded him the National Humanities Medal, and in 2004 President George W. Bush conferred on him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.
Besides his memoir, he wrote “The Emergence of Modern Afghanistan: Politics of Reform and Modernization, 1880-1946” (1969); “Islam: A Mosaic, Not a Monolith” (2004) and many articles on history and global affairs.
Dr. Gregorian, who often recalled the kindness of strangers, said that after landing in New York in 1956 to start life in America, he lost his plane ticket to San Francisco. He was due to register the next day at Stanford. His future seemed to hang in the balance. In faltering English, he poured out his desperation to an airport ticket agent.
The man hesitated, saying something about regulations. Then he softened.
“I have never done what I am about to do,” the agent said. He stamped the young man’s empty ticket envelope and told him to stay on the plane — a four-stop, 14-hour flight — to avoid discovery.
“I never forgot that man,” Dr. Gregorian said in the 2019 interview. “He gave me my future. For years I wanted to thank him but couldn’t find him. I told the story in my book to thank him — and now my conscience is clear.”

I always admired his calendar.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Crosspost from the MTG thread.  Maybe her staff told her what people were saying.

Or maybe she realized she got on McCarthy's bad side.

EzMQnn6VIAA7eKR?format=jpg&name=900x900

EzMQnn8VEAoe7Pt?format=jpg&name=900x900

EzMQnn7VgAMIDig?format=jpg&name=900x900

That is way more words than I ever need to read from her.  I assume it's a lot of psychotic nonsense that anyone with a functioning brain would scoff at and move on.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

McCarthy wants the gavel in 2022 and this caucus splintering into a third party headache for the GOP would threaten that ambition. That’s all it is. He has to keep everyone in line to get what he wants. 

A Nancy Pelosi he is not. You can’t stop the monster you created. 

He also has to keep the BMDs in line. Anybody pushing a bunch of shit about "Anglo-Saxon" tradition is going to find their donations drying up from corporations that don't sell pillows.

And if things splinter, this isn't a case of the Tea Party movement, where you had a bunch of folks who probably weren't voting/participating in politics, and they hear something snazzy about taxes and government reach, and it looks like they might start threatening Republicans in primaries. Then the GOP and its PACs quietly move in, take over or replace the major Tea Party faction and their rallies, and bring them back into the fold and try and get them to vote R when their candidates faded/failed.

I laughed when I would look at who was behind some of the major Tea Party rallies and other events - it was diehard Republican operatives. Those Republicans didn't all of the sudden see some kind of light, they were clearly there to take back any stray Republicans.

The difference between those Tea Party types and the American First types, is that the TP types weren't going to drive away corporations.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He also has to keep the BMDs in line. Anybody pushing a bunch of shit about "Anglo-Saxon" tradition is going to find their donations drying up from corporations that don't sell pillows.

And if things splinter, this isn't a case of the Tea Party movement, where you had a bunch of folks who probably weren't voting/participating in politics, and they hear something snazzy about taxes and government reach, and it looks like they might start threatening Republicans in primaries. Then the GOP and its PACs quietly move in, take over or replace the major Tea Party faction and their rallies, and bring them back into the fold and try and get them to vote R when their candidates faded/failed.

I laughed when I would look at who was behind some of the major Tea Party rallies and other events - it was diehard Republican operatives. Those Republicans didn't all of the sudden see some kind of light, they were clearly there to take back any stray Republicans.

The difference between those Tea Party types and the American First types, is that the TP types weren't going to drive away corporations.

But look at who is running in 2022 across the board for the GOP. It's candidate after candidate of America First. Don't you think that's going to have an effect?

When  there may be other forces (sorry, not conspiracy theory here, but a discussion) that they have backing them that tilt the table in their favor (such as an economic downturn right when things were stabilizing) voters turn towards what they think is stability (which is this groups' selling point)

The economics to which I'm referring are (remember Koch has backed Pompeo and Pompeo is on the America First side) in this thread below by Dave Troy. It's a thread of about 30 plus tweets and really interesting when it comes down to it: She retweeted in the early stages so go back to the beginning for the context, but it's essentially seeding the ground for the fascists.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

But look at who is running in 2022 across the board for the GOP. It's candidate after candidate of America First. Don't you think that's going to have an effect?

When  there may be other forces (sorry, not conspiracy theory here, but a discussion) that they have backing them that tilt the table in their favor (such as an economic downturn right when things were stabilizing) voters turn towards what they think is stability (which is this groups' selling point)

The economics to which I'm referring are (remember Koch has backed Pompeo and Pompeo is on the America First side) in this thread below by Dave Troy. It's a thread of about 30 plus tweets and really interesting when it comes down to it: She retweeted in the early stages so go back to the beginning for the context, but it's essentially seeding the ground for the fascists.

Guess the meltdown on 4/14 was a miss. 

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

When it became obvious that Germany was losing WWII, Hitler made cuts the budget pretty much across the board, with the exception of concentration camps. Because hateful people hate other people more than they love themselves.

It doesn't work across the board, but you can't play successful football defense without some of that quality.

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They run a good risk of not only splitting off plenty of more moderate Republicans and driving them to stay at home or vote D (which is what terrifies McCarthy, especially since '22 is a midterm, without a major personality to draw people out), but they run the risk of driving off corporate donors who don't want to get lit up on social media and be forced to defend these putzes. This also terrifies McCarthy.

That's not to say that they can primary plenty of moderate Republicans next year, especially with Trump and Sons helping, because mid-term primaries can see some crazy stuff happen due to lower voter participating. In the general election, they will suffer. McCarthy does not want to have to defend these people.

I'm still slightly surprised McCarthy put that statement out there - that took some balls.

59 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Guess the meltdown on 4/14 was a miss. 

He suggested that it would be another move the goalposts situation; but his comment in the thread "should we expect a coordinated attack Wednesday? Probably not; is there evidence of a coordinated ongoing effort to promote precious metals and cryptocurrency? Absolutely, to do financially what they could not politically" resonates a little if you read some of the policy statements coming out of the America First Policy Institute and the AF caucus.

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They run a good risk of not only splitting off plenty of more moderate Republicans and driving them to stay at home or vote D (which is what terrifies McCarthy, especially since '22 is a midterm, without a major personality to draw people out), but they run the risk of driving off corporate donors who don't want to get lit up on social media and be forced to defend these putzes. This also terrifies McCarthy.

That's not to say that they can primary plenty of moderate Republicans next year, especially with Trump and Sons helping, because mid-term primaries can see some crazy stuff happen due to lower voter participating. In the general election, they will suffer. McCarthy does not want to have to defend these people.

I'm still slightly surprised McCarthy put that statement out there - that took some balls.

Your take, IMO, is the more optimistic one and you undoubtedly have more political expertise than I do, but I believe they have the grassroots populist groundswell on their side for 2022 and when, not if, they take the already precarious House, then the obstructionist forces really come out to thwart Biden in any way they can. They know how to do this and if the Democrats don't get figure out Smaug's weakness, they're going to be in a world of hurt. McCarthy may not want to have to defend these people, but he's going to defend these people because he's either going to or resign. He's in limbo right now and even if he returns to the castle and kisses the ring, he's lost too many beads on his rosary.

He had his chance to spurn the sedition and do the right thing, but the right thing is with O' Leary in the grave.

40 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

evidence of a coordinated ongoing effort to promote precious metals and cryptocurrency

Absolutely. And the goal is financial calamity for Americans and the world.

From a crypto revolutionary referenced in one of your interesting posts @Mrs Whiggins

If we are right about all of this (and this economic calamity must come to pass for the majority to realise the merits of Bitcoin and hyperbitcoinize), the severity and scale of the hardship that will be felt around the world is incomprehensible.

When the clusterfuck that politicians and central banks have created finally collapses in a heap on the floor, ordinary people will be left holding the bag. Millions will lose their homes, their livelihoods and their ability to provide for their families. Lifetimes of savings will vanish. Some countries will fall into unrest, violence will erupt on streets around the world. Tragically, people will lose their lives. This year in the US, we’ve glimpsed a small precursor of what could be to come.

Let’s be clear, we are witnessing a monumental change.

A global financial and monetary revolution is underway, and by fuck is it needed. Something on this magnitude has to be painful, and people will get left behind. There is no other way. And the world will be a better place when we come out the other side.

https://www.citadel21.com/a-lesson-in-humility

Well written hubris.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe.  There are a lot of brakes in our system to the emergence of a third party.  Mostly, the cold hard math which says that the new third party and the party they emerge from will almost never control any branch of elected government.  Both parties have tended to have currents of reform course through them, leave a mark, and the gradually reabsorb as a new internal consensus emerges.

We could see the GOP wither and fade like the Whigs and be replaced by a nationalist party, or maybe see this group morph the existing GOP into an explicitly nationalist platform.  This wouldn’t be a good thing for anyone.  It’s also hard to see how a nationalist platform wins nationally.  They aren’t attaching any business friendly policies to their nativism and in fact are pushing them away actively. And the “ordinary blue collar Joe Six Pack” is more and more likely to be Jose Six Pack, who might be sympathetic to some reactionary conservatism and chauvinistic posturing—- but NOT if they insist on this new “Anglo-Saxon” bit. 

Not surprised the lame-stream American media trying to tar and feather this caucus as racist. Our legal and  political heritage is derived from England- post Norman invasion and not Anglo-Saxon. Poor choice of words because it is erroneous from a historical perspective. The right is going through a process of shedding the dead GOP consensus of interventionist foreign policy and free market zealotry. Unfortunately, too many in the party’s establishment still cling to the past and trying to suppress the birth of a nationalist, working class oriented party with a reordered set of priorities. The party is in the wilderness and is going to come out different - like  Labour and the Democratic Party changed from what they were in the 70s  to what they became in the 90s.

Laugh at the MTG types all you want. They get the publicity but are not the brains. Adrian Vermuele, Sohrab Ahmari, Rod Drehrer and Josh Hawley have the intellectual heft to create the new consensus. Tucker Carlson’s own beliefs tie into theirs and he has the ability to package it into a mass audience. He’d be formidable candidate in 2024 if he decided to run. Hungary and Poland offer examples and inspiration for the type of policies for the party to consider and apply if adaptable to America. A platform of limiting immigration and tying it to improving the lives of the working class by funneling more money to those suffering from opioid addiction, as an example, is a winner. The latest outrage caused by woke agenda and cancel culture creates new people everyday amenable to the new message 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 9

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Not surprised the lame-stream American media trying to tar and feather this caucus as racist. Our legal and  political heritage is derived from England- post Norman invasion and not Anglo-Saxon. Poor choice of words because it is erroneous from a historical perspective. The right is going through a process of shedding the dead GOP consensus of interventionist foreign policy and free market zealotry. Unfortunately, too many in the party’s establishment still cling to the past and trying to suppress the birth of a nationalist, working class oriented party with a reordered set of priorities. The party is in the wilderness and is going to come out different - like  Labour and the Democratic Party changed from what they were in the 70s  to what they became in the 90s.

Laugh at the MTG types all you want. They get the publicity but are not the brains. Adrian Vermuele, Sohrab Ahmari, Rod Drehrer and Josh Hawley have the intellectual heft to create the new consensus. Tucker Carlson’s own beliefs tie into theirs and he has the ability to package it into a mass audience. He’d be formidable candidate in 2024 if he decided to run. Hungary and Poland offer examples and inspiration for the type of policies for the party to consider and apply if adaptable to America. A platform of limiting immigration and tying it to improving the lives of the working class by funneling more money to those suffering from opioid addiction, as an example, is a winner. The latest outrage caused by woke agenda and cancel culture creates new people everyday amenable to the new message 

Lame stream media, woke agenda and cancel culture. At least you’re hitting all the stupid buzzwords.

And the proposed caucus is racist. The establishment GQP found out about it and shut it down because it was saying the truth about the racist GQP out loud and they know it’s a one way ticket to irrelevance and never winning another election again.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Macklemore said:

image.gif.acbe9bed20c023a27d7669d48aa5e72e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Ok I thought you were serious at first

Listing two countries with repressive leadership that use religion as a cudgel to deny women autonomy, that use the state to repress dissent, and then naming four men who think that is just peachy, including one who is pretty much onboard with disenfranchising homosexuals, not that the rest of them are against that either. Four men who laughably don't give a shit about the working class other than to use them as tools and cudgels as well. One of those men has had the ability to address opioid addiction as a senator and has filed suit in the past (as AG) but accepting over $55,000 in three months from pharma companies and other lobbyists, maybe he's conflicted. He's a two-faced seditionist who wants more of HIS religion in government as do the other three and cannot see that the uniqueness of America forbidding a government established religion is to keep the country from barrelling towards a sectarian bloodbath when the Catholics and the Evangelicals or some other adherent group disagree. Leading off with the man who had to scrub his twitter account prior to being appointed by the former President because it contained such gems as:

"there is no resisting the unfolding of this logic. The only answer is that the state has to be in the right hands and help instill the right faith." and

"The baptized will have to attend Mass weekly so there's that and by have to I mean have to." which was in response to a comment on integralism and the New Evangelism and also reminds readers that the Church has the right to coerce the faithful with sanctions, including penal ones so that they 'can redeem themselves through work.'

Ah, there it is....

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Adam Kinzinger,  Kevin McCarthy etc... are slamming this group of racist facists.  

And as much money as they might have, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos have much, much more.

23 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are they now? Got any links? Kinzinger sure but McCarthy would surprise me...

To follow up on this a little, I had posted McCarthy's comments but Kinzinger was calling for them to be stripped of their committee assignments. Naturally, that would not affect Greene but Gosar is on Oversight and Reform among others and Gohmert and Gaetz are on the Judiciary and after awhile, it adds up. While Jim Jordan has accrued power and might be aligned with AF philosophically, I haven't seen any statements or tweets in support of it (unless they were scrubbed already). Personally, although I can't stand Jordan, if he were smart he would go along with Kevin in a mutually beneficial way because I suspect Jordan sees himself as Speaker of the future and I don''t know if Kevin can fend him off, but sometimes power makes for strange bedfellows.

9 hours ago, Macklemore said:

You do understand that their plan for a nationalist party wouldn't include your Persian ass, right? America First defines America as white Protestants only.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Are you still pretending to not be Iconoclast Texan? Because if so, you're doing a really shit job at it.

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Did Macklemore use the term "cabal"? Because honestly, after the whole segment John Oliver did on how Tucker Carlson talks, I have a much lower opinion of Icono since he was just 100% parroting how Tucker talks. 

Icono has never been shy about his love for Tucker.

10 hours ago, Macklemore said:

What color are your jack boots? Aggy maroon or classic nazi black?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Laugh at the MTG types all you want. They get the publicity but are not the brains. Adrian Vermuele, Sohrab Ahmari, Rod Drehrer and Josh Hawley have the intellectual heft to create the new consensus. Tucker Carlson’s own beliefs tie into theirs and he has the ability to package it into a mass audience. He’d be formidable candidate in 2024 if he decided to run. Hungary and Poland offer examples and inspiration for the type of policies for the party to consider and apply if adaptable to America. 

Post image

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bookman said:

So these replacement voters, will they vote for failed businessmen to become President of the United States?

If not, then I fail to see the problem.

Taking a look at the rulers of their former countries, I'd say a neo-Trumpista would have a puncher's chance with them.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:12 PM, Dark Horse said:

obligatory

kkk_immigrants_gettyimages-514702614.web

On 4/16/2021 at 11:20 PM, tx 3 putt said:

it's been around for a loooooooooooooooooooong time, 

AP_8904211490.jpg

On 4/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Well, we started off by stealing land from a whole slew of people who had their own unique cultures and identity. 

There's a new doc on HBO:  Exterminate all the Brutes.  It's pretty timely considering BLM and voter suppression.  But it reminds us this has been a problem for a long, long time, and not just here and not just one race as the victims, but more one race giving the shaft to all others.   It's 4 parts.

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Negged for lying about not being Icono in the Prince Phillip thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I go to sleep thinking about Saxons, then wake up and the Normans are already here.

Oyez oyez

Her Youtube channel is great. Thanks for turning me on to it - she's one hot history teacher.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Nvrmind. People, did, in fact, think of the Normans. 

All of this is a bit ironic in that the Southern founding fathers, particularly the Virginians, being sympathic to the royalist cause during the English Civil War, would have been appalled to be associated with the Anglo-Saxons.   That’s peasant talk. 

Edited by Bateshorn

56 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I go to sleep thinking about Saxons, then wake up and the Normans are already here.

Oyez oyez

17 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Nvrmind. People, did, in fact, think of the Normans. 

All of this is a bit ironic in that the Southern founding fathers, particularly the Virginians, being sympathic to the royalist cause during the English Civil War, would have been appalled to be associated with the Anglo-Saxons.   That’s peasant talk. 

Yep.  As a non-history or anthropology major, I have hesistated to delve into ethnocultural definitions, but if these morons mean the culture "adopted" at the founding, they really mean Anglo-Norman, not Anglo-Saxon.

But that would impliedly endorse freedom fries and the like and exclude Nazis and Fascists, so I guess they mean what they say.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I always admired his calendar.

I was thinking his chants were pretty lit too.

Seriously, his story would make a good movie. 

Second, where do folks like Allen West fit in this Anglo-Saxon superiority and exclusionist talk?

Edited by pyrohornIII